Bands you like but everyone else hates?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Unabletothinkofname

Bands you like but everyone else hates?

Postby Unabletothinkofname » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 am UTC

I think most people have one of these, a band you love and that your friends simply cannot see the appeal.
Mine is the The Dillinger Escape Plan.

I suppose I could describe them as metal, seeing as mathcore is a genre in the metal universe, though it's incredibly difficult to describe their music other than that- impossible to follow shifting time signatures, sudden, inexplicable synth-pop or jazz breaks and relentless and unnerving quiet-loud moments.

I'll admit the first time I heard Sugar Coated Sour and their signature track 43% Burnt I absolutely hated it, especially the latter. Song starts, weird jerky riff, okay, fast bit, I think I'm getting the be-no, wait, now it's changed, guitar distortion's off, and-oh, it's heavy again, and...uh, slow jazz bit...?

Yeah, it's incredibly confusing at first. I don't even particularly like the stuff off the Calculating Infinity album. However I would strongly reccomend 2007's Ire Works, which mixes their trademark disjointed hardcore with tongue-in-cheek twisted pop dynamics (such as Black Bubblegum and Milk Lizard ) and long, atmospheric pieces as well as some bizarre electro-percussive minute-and-a-half interludes, to beguiling and brilliant effect.

So what's your band that no-one else seems to like but you?

Furburt

Re: Bands you like but everyone else hates?

Postby Furburt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:04 pm UTC

Hrm....

Probably John Zorns Naked City/Painkiller stuff. An....interesting mix between freeform jazz and grindcore, most people I show it to look at me with the same look that one would usually give to a serial killer. Probably the best of his stuff would be his work with Naked City, which typically consists of him, guitarist Bill Frissel and Japanese vocalist Yamatsuka Eye, who's also the vocalist for the Boredoms and perhaps one of the craziest people not in a mental institute out there.
There definitely are people out there who like them, it's just that the vast majority of people consider them utterly abstract noise. If there's one thing you could compare them to, it would be the old Looney Tunes soundtracks. They change mood so quickly and the music is so hyperactive. You might not hear it at first, but you will.

Eh, see for yourself.

Them live
Ireland unfree shall never be at peace-Patrick Pearse, 1915.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

Only people on the internet like them :(

Same goes for most of the oldies like Bob Dylan, Talking Heads, Beach Boys, Dead can Dance, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful dead, The Doors, Electric Light Orchestra and others.

It's like people hate them though. They just don't like them.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

sonic youth i guess.
uhhhh fuck.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 am UTC

Dudes, everybody loves The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, The Talking Heads, the Beach Boys and Sonic Youth.

everybody.

Some people do (or would, rather) hate Penderecki's early-ish work.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Dudes, everybody loves The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, The Talking Heads, the Beach Boys and Sonic Youth.

everybody.

Second. Can't find many people who hate Nick Cave either.

Mine used to be Porcupine Tree. But now I hate them too. Earlier on it was black metal in general, but I don't think such niche music counts here though, as pretty much everyone outside the nice would hate the stuff.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

Well, not the people in my life. :(

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:04 am UTC

My friend explains sonic youth as follows:
"Alright, so you know how like, sonic youth mixes genres and stuff and turns into this crazy fusion? Do you also know that nasty purplish brown color you got when you were six and mixed all your watercolors together? Sonic youth is that color: unpleasant and disappointing"

I think they're better than that, personally.
uhhhh fuck.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:25 am UTC

Backstreet Boys. *Prepares for trouble, makes it double*

I can't help it. They were the first "band" I heard when I was little and I am not ashamed to say that I still like some of their songs.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:Well, not the people in my life. :(

Wait... you were being serious with that list? I totally thought you were just being ironic.

Anywho... I like The Fiery Furnaces. And I actually like their album "Rehearsing My Choir" but everybody else that I know that has listened to it wanted to punch me afterward....
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Dason wrote:

Wait... you were being serious with that list? I totally thought you were just being ironic.

Anywho... I like The Fiery Furnaces. And I actually like their album "Rehearsing My Choir" but everybody else that I know that has listened to it wanted to punch me afterward....

Yes, I was serious.

Why do you think I added the sad smiley?!

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Backstreet Boys. *Prepares for trouble, makes it double*

I can't help it. They were the first "band" I heard when I was little and I am not ashamed to say that I still like some of their songs.

I like them too.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Alkaline trio and my chemical romance. All my friends consider this to be my most glaring character flaw, but I still think if you actually listen to it and ignore all the crap about 'emo kids' etc. etc. It's very enjoyable music. They're bands with slightly different followings, I know, but I tend to hang out with a mixture of drum & bass fans, metal people and indie cred-merchants, who tend to lump them in together.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:
Amie wrote:Backstreet Boys. *Prepares for trouble, makes it double*

I like them too.

:o :D You just... made my day!

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Blink 182...

Can't help it, just enjoy their music. Though a few people I know like them.

I also enjoy third-wave ska, so there's ALOT of music that I like that no one else cares about, or even knows about. Though I have a few friends and family members that do...

Other than that, almost anything I listen to is strange and weird to my coworkers who are either straight from over the border or into rap and other popular stuff....
Oh. Well that's alright then.

davidmarlee

Postby davidmarlee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

It seems like everybody has a strong dislike of Crystal Castles. They're an electro-indie band from Toronto who are a little rough around the edges which is why I guess people have issues with them. The singer sounds like electricity sometimes.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

Beach Boys made great music. And heck, even the Monkees were good, even though most of their stuff was played and composed by other people. Fun music is fun, regardless of the artistic integrity.

The hate for NSync and Backstreet Boys is a lot more extreme than it has to be. I don't know if it's good or bad music, but they were just scapegoat, just like the Jonas Brothers are today.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 am UTC

davidmarlee wrote:It seems like everybody has a strong dislike of Crystal Castles. They're an electro-indie band from Toronto who are a little rough around the edges which is why I guess people have issues with them. The singer sounds like electricity sometimes.

Crystal Castles used stuff without permission.

http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog/?p=130
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/0 ... s-license/
http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/2008/ ... geful.html
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

My guilty pleasure -- World/Inferno Friendship Society. It's punk-ish and pointless, the antithesis of what I look for in music, but I can't help it. (Everybody else hates them when I listen to it, though.) Besides, some of their songs do have actual meaning.

My favorite bands that people still hate, but I am confident enough about to give a hearty "Fuck off." --

Renard/his aliases (That is straight-up awesome electronica. Period.)

Venetian Snares -- Ditto the above. I shit you not, I am able to clear a room by blasting "Pwntendo"at full volume. I personally love the insane drums and SFX, but it makes everybody else run in terror. Oh well. Probably has something to do with the noise components and the 7/4 beat xD

Dream Theater -- Mixed bag on this one. I love all of their albums, but everybody else seems to like Panic Attack, Never Enough, and then hate the rest of their music. I blame Rock Band. But really, these are some of the most talented musicians I have EVER seen, maybe with a couple of equals like Mahavishnu Orchestra (Whom I acknowledge the immense skill of, but I don't regularly listen to them.)
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 am UTC

Pwntendo seems pretty awesome. Tons of energy, which I enjoy.

EDIT: Your icon is made amazingly awesome while listening to that.

EDIT2: ok, I plugged Pwntendo into pandora. Thank you so very much.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

Dason wrote:

I LOVE the Fiery Furnaces. They took me about six months to get used to, but now Seven Silver Curses is one of my favourite songs.

Sleekgiant

Postby Sleekgiant » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 am UTC

Well since most people I know either listen to country or mainstream rap, all of my music is hated. Pretty much all of my music is either alt rock that is kind of indie.
Artists such as:
Passion Pit
Keane
Evilnine
and combine that with my smooth jazz
Candy Dulfer
Jabooze
etc.
etc.
and I get one list of music hated by most people I know.(Oh hell throw in the trance for good measure)
ERROR 404:SIGNATURE NOT FOUND

Gypped

Postby Gypped » Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 am UTC

I have a habit of not really listening to the lyrics of a song at all. To me the lyrics are just another sound in the song, and the words don't hold much meaning. As a result, I often like songs with interesting beats, but terrible lyrics. Maybe this song would be a good example of what I'm talking about. Unrelated, but when playing Rockband at a friend's place, I suggested we play R.E.M. and was met with harsh criticism for liking them.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Uh, most everything I listen to?

But the ones people are probably most aware of are Aqua and t.A.T.u., and I think most people hate them. Though I think if most people knew of my other music, they'd hate it, too. :P (I don't listen to music that's particularly obscure, but I listen to music in many languages from a wide array of countries, so it's unlikely for people to have heard of Andreea Bălan, Blümchen, and Блестящие, even though they've had great success in Romania, Germany, and Russia, respectively.)
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed May 05, 2010 10:54 am UTC

Gypped wrote:Unrelated, but when playing Rockband at a friend's place, I suggested we play R.E.M. and was met with harsh criticism for liking them.

Oh sad. I love R.E.M. I'd totally play R.E.M. in Rockband with you.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed May 05, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:But the ones people are probably most aware of are Aqua and t.A.T.u., and I think most people hate them.

I love both bands. I like Aqua slightly better but Gomenasai is made of awesomeness.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

Amie wrote:
Vox Imperatoris wrote:But the ones people are probably most aware of are Aqua and t.A.T.u., and I think most people hate them.

I love both bands. I like Aqua slightly better but Gomenasai is made of awesomeness.

Let's see, I like almost all of t.A.T.u.'s songs, but my favorites are probably Ya Soshla S Uma/All The Things She Said, Ya Tvoya Ne Pervaya/Show Me Love, and Kosmos/Cosmos (Outer Space). Gomenasai is also great. Since just about everyone sings better in his/her native language, I think their Russian albums are better, especially Vesyolye Ulybki compared to Waste Management (the Transformer Mix of Running Blind justifies that whole album, though).

t.A.T.u. has also taught me the Cyrillic alphabet and how to read Russian (if not actually understand it), so I have that, too. :D
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:t.A.T.u. has also taught me the Cyrillic alphabet and how to read Russian (if not actually understand it), so I have that, too. :D

Gasp! Must... listen... to Russian...

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Nihil Obstat
Dälek
Slogun

Mostly any of my PE stuff. Actually. Though Dälek's not PE.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Thu May 06, 2010 5:06 am UTC

The Carpenters.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531308
My little vision of the future

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 06, 2010 6:20 am UTC

Dustin wrote:The Carpenters.

This thread is officially freaking me out. Too many bands I like that most people outside the internet seem to hate. I love The Carpenters dammitch!

mowdownjoe

Postby mowdownjoe » Sun May 09, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Fastball.

...Yes, the guys that you probably only remember for "The Way".

Let me explain myself here: Upon discovering the joys of downloading music for the first time, I immediately went and try to find new albums from every band I was really into (read: my metalhead dad bought me their albums in hopes that I'd stop listening to top-40s crap) back in the day. Barenaked Ladies... not much in the way of surprises, and I had already made a habit of buying physical copies of all their stuff. Smash Mouth... everything after the first two albums sounded bad. Fastball... holy crap, their new stuff is actually pretty good. So, I downloaded their new stuff, loved it to pieces.
Last year, I actually got to see them at two shows. One was a nice little 3-hour set at a bar in New York where they had the stage the whole time, and while it was small, it was filled with a good number of people that were fans. The other show was a free show with a bunch of different acts playing the whole day, and they were pretty much the first act up. People mostly hung around to listen to them play "The Way", which they smartly saved for near the end, and left. :? It was a free show, you think they'd give them more of a chance. Hell, I sat through every act for both days, regardless if I knew them or not.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun May 09, 2010 6:11 am UTC

I have quite a few bands I like that not even my family sees the appeal to.

Some of them aren't in English, so that's not that strange. For example,
DDT (a Russian band...yes, Russian! Propavshi bez Vesti is an excellent album, not very conventional...Lyubov' is one of those albums that calms me down after a bad day, and Mir Nomer Nol' is weird but mostly likeable)
Myslovitz, a polish band (whose best album I've heard is Milosc w Czasach Popkultury, though I haven't heard much more than that)
Siddharta (Slovenian, they made three stellar albums so far which I have heard--Id, Nord, and Petrolea)

Unfortunately, I can't say I understand polish or slovenian, and I have some limited russian comprehension, but they all have good style.

Dishwalla's a good one too, especially their last, self-titled album. I saw them live on their last tour, and they put on an intense three hour show. Nobody here cares about them, though, or Silversun Pickups. Or Mazzy Star. Or, most disappointingly, Screaming Trees.

RoughSausage

Postby RoughSausage » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Everyone I know pretty much hates Atreyu, but I like them.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

I'm sorry, but I like Abba. Yes, I know, but I do. It makes no sense that I do. Pop, with 1 or 2 exceptions, has never really done it for me, and cheesey europop(scandinavipop?) usually just makes me cringe. But it does sound good.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

TommyTumnus

Postby TommyTumnus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

I have a soft spot for vocal trance, but all my friends but one hate it. I at least have one to listen with...

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:58 am UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:Uh, most everything I listen to?

But the ones people are probably most aware of are Aqua and t.A.T.u., and I think most people hate them.

What's wrong with them? I like both of 'em. A few weeks back they played Barbie Girl in a club and everybody liked it. I know a friend and me were lip-syncing to the whole song. She did the female parts, I the male parts. Tatu is cool as well.

A lot of my friends don't get Pretty Girls Make Graves. I think they're awesome.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Dream Theater -- Mixed bag on this one. I love all of their albums, but everybody else seems to like Panic Attack, Never Enough, and then hate the rest of their music. I blame Rock Band. But really, these are some of the most talented musicians I have EVER seen, maybe with a couple of equals like Mahavishnu Orchestra (Whom I acknowledge the immense skill of, but I don't regularly listen to them.)

Sadly I know a lot of people who'd die for dream theatre. it's sad. really. Good musicians sure but... there's a point it becomes showing off above good music. Ey Malmsteen fans? :P

If you go up to most people and ask if they like Bon Jovi they'll scream at you, then a few hours later be singing word for word to livin on a prayer lol I think secretly 90% of the adult population likes them but can't bring themselves to admit it.

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

1. Captain Beefheart
2. The Residents
3. Basically, any free jazz
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Return to “Music”