Let's Compare Size!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vox Imperatoris

Let's Compare Size!

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Music library size, that is.

iTunes tells me I have 1233 songs by 147 artists, so clearly I have rather narrow interests. (Actually, 2 years ago I had one tenth of that, so I've actually broadened significantly.) Last.fm tells me the top tags on my music are "pop, dance, female vocalists, electronic and russian", which is pretty accurate. As you probably noticed from those tags, the music I listen to has almost 100% female lead vocalists. Also, I tend to add new music in bursts every few weeks, and I still have plenty of songs sitting around that I have not yet listened to or added to my library because I tend to only add songs that I really like.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

achan1058

Re: Let's Compare Size!

Postby achan1058 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:02 am UTC

147 artists does not sound narrow to me. Anyways, I would say a more useful metric on the size of the library is how many hours (or days) of music does it contain. Mine is quite a bit, 20 days. Though, the only reason for that is because it is classical, so the CD's are actually cheap enough that I can buy them in bulk. (they can get down to < $1 per CD, with over 60 minutes of music each to boot) There's 58 composers on my list, but I would say only 20 of them I have more than 1 work of, and maybe 10 that I listen to regularly. The style of music are mostly instrumental, or solo piano. I am never found of vocal works, except for a minority few.
Last edited by achan1058 on Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 am UTC

3600 songs on the computer, by who-knows-how-many artists. just under 10 days' worth of tunes (9 days, 20 hours) 20.6 gigabytes.

Not too many female vocalists, though. Off the top of my head, the dresden dolls, portishead, go sailor, regina spektor, ella fitzgerald, and jefferson airplane.

and 147 artists can be narrow when you consider genres. I mean, I can think of a dozen metal bands from the american south. and american-south-metal is not a genre. There's probably two hundred seattle-area-alternative-rock-slash-grunge bands that have released albums. and five hundred scandanavian metal bands.
I mean, I go from dubstep to debussy. johnny cash to jethro tull. of montreal to opeth. grizzly bear to gojira.

there's another five hundred or so songs on my ipod, which figures to about another 33 hours, if we're extrapolating from 3500 songs = 236 hours of music. Which is approximately 11-and-a-quarter days.
uhhhh fuck.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:22 am UTC

Midnight wrote:and 147 artists can be narrow when you consider genres. I mean, I can think of a dozen metal bands from the american south. and american-south-metal is not a genre. There's probably two hundred seattle-area-alternative-rock-slash-grunge bands that have released albums. and five hundred scandanavian metal bands.
Maybe it is just me, but when I find someone I like, I tend to mass collect his/her works, and otherwise it simply gets purged. It was like that in the past with Chinese/Japanese pop music and video game music as well.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:17 am UTC

1260 songs, 237 bands, 461 days 6 hours 11 minutes . Wait a minute....

Okay, I placed the longest songs in a folder. I found 40 of them...there could still be other ones, but they're not even close to the longest song ("Oh How to Do Now", which is probably only 3 minutes), which was 1111 hours long. A few of the songs said 9 minutes when really they were about 3. Anyway, these 40 songs were 458 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes. Assuming that they're really about 3 minutes in length, I have 3 days, 3 hours, and 11 minutes worth of music. Or something.

EDIT: oh, and only a few female vocalist songs. There just weren't that many female rock singers in the 60s, although Grace and Janis were both awesome (and the Mamas and Papas...>.>)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 am UTC

Well, my list has 745 songs. But it wont tell me anything other than that and time, which is 46.2 hours.

I used to have loads more... but I lost my old collection and had to start rebuilding, so I'm missing quite alot of music.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Essah

Postby Essah » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14 am UTC

3800 something songs.
I listen to like 90% of it but sometime I will listen to the last 10% (or finally get decide to just delete my Foo fighters, Pink Floyd and Bloodhound gang)

Its a soul splitting procedure having to choose which 8GB worth of music I want on my ipod out of all the songs I have and love deeply.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 am UTC

My library is roughly 11,000 songs, or 27 days' worth of music. Most of that is what was recommended to me throughout my life, and various backups of other peoples' iPods. Rarely do I discover music from my own mining, with the exception of classical music.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

On my iPod, I have 2,679 MP3s. Don't know how much in terms of duration that would amount to but somewhere in the region of 2.5 weeks. (I would probably skew the statistics a bit because I have a fair number of DJ sets, which are typically about 1hr long).

I think that represents about 600 artists or so.

I usually listen to my iPod when I'm at work, but when I'm at home a often stick on Spotify radio so I'm not stuck listening to the same old stuff all the time. I freely admit that my collection is not particularly eclectic (depending on who you compare it to I suppose)!

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

I have about 4200 songs in my library, across 205 artists, amounting to about 21GB of music. This is what I listen to regularly, as in, I hit play all on random usually. Outside of there, I have about another 6000 songs amounting to 25GB. The majority of this was from a few years ago when I backed up a friend's music collection, and then a smaller set is songs I like to listen to on occasion (video game themes, anime) or music I've just lost interest in recently.

Gypped

Postby Gypped » Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

I've got 8500 songs, which takes up 34.7 GB. That's about 23 days of music. I don't feel like manually counting the different artists, but I know it's well over 250.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed May 05, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Uuh, about 60G of music and stuff.

I'd say I have quite a lot of music. Not as much as a friend of mine, he has about 300G. :shock:
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

I feel tiny. 230 songs by... 50? 40? different artists. About 16 hours and a single gig.

I feel tinier since there is huge diversity in my selection too --From Chopin to Dimrain47 to Dream Theater to Flogging Molly. That's 4 genres right there. Then a couple of reggae albums, some CCR... but I only have a tiny selection from each genre xD Except for electronica and metal, which I have about 70 songs of each.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 am UTC

I don't know if you all are aware, but (at least on the iPhone) you can go to the "Artists" menu on your Apple mp3 player and scroll to the bottom to get a precise count of artists. No need for a manual count.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu May 06, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Essah wrote:3800 something songs.
I listen to like 90% of it but sometime I will listen to the last 10% (or finally get decide to just delete my Foo fighters, Pink Floyd and Bloodhound gang)

Its a soul splitting procedure having to choose which 8GB worth of music I want on my ipod out of all the songs I have and love deeply.

wait, maybe i'm mishearing... but is pink floyd in the 10% you DON'T listen to?
SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

and I don't have an apple cell phone.
uhhhh fuck.

Juhdas

Postby Juhdas » Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

so my library has 39.512 songs (about 300GB), I can't say how many Artist but I can say I listend to each and every songs more than once and it's always a pleasure "discovering" an old sond from time to time :)

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

I'm currently at 5162 songs, or 23.83 GB. Not much compared to some of my friends who delete music by the gigabyte, but it works for me. In fact, it probably needs some cleaning out, considering how often I hit "next" on shuffle.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
Essah wrote:3800 something songs.

wait, maybe i'm mishearing... but is pink floyd in the 10% you DON'T listen to?
SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

and I don't have an apple cell phone.

lol i was just waiting for somoene to come with that reaction. I'm sure my friend who gave me the songs would react the same way if i told her that i almost haven't heard it.

It's not cos i dont want to. There's just so much and it takes a special mood to get started on. Usually im either in my rock mood where i just need some good rock that will make me happy, or i want quiet lovely harmonic music (SIgur Rós for example)

I am gonna listen to Pink floyd sometimes, its just not that easy to get started on.
back on topic, didnt mean to highjack it.

also, more specificly i have, as of right now:
3864 songs
lasting 11 days and 25 minutes and 35 seconds ( remember the quiet time between songs)
27 GB

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Floyd is pretty hard to listen to, really, because their songs are so long and avant-gardist. I like my songs short and punchy, and if not short,p then filled with enough hooks so I don't care about how long it is. This makes albums like Animals and Ummagumma all but impossible to listen to (unless I can skip ahead). So I guess I would start with the Wall (you don't have to finish it, just listen to the first half, and continue only if you like what you here...it's a long album), and Dark Side of the Moon. Also check out the early singles (See Emily Play, Apples and Oranges, Paintbox, Scarecrow, and Arnold Lane, Corporal Clegg, Candy and a Currant Bun...check out the music videos for all but the last one to see some of the very first music videos ever made) for the poppy, syd barrett stuff, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn for the Syddy but a lot more astral, acidified stuff. The singles and first couple albums may sound better to you and could ease introduction to them, unless you find it all pretentious hippie crap, in which case I'd recommend the Wall or DSotM. Don't feel like you have to like them though...they are kinda over-rated.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu May 06, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Floyd is pretty hard to listen to, really, because their songs are so long and avant-gardist. I like my songs short and punchy, and if not short,p then filled with enough hooks so I don't care about how long it is. This makes albums like Animals and Ummagumma all but impossible to listen to (unless I can skip ahead). So I guess I would start with the Wall (you don't have to finish it, just listen to the first half, and continue only if you like what you here...it's a long album), and Dark Side of the Moon. Also check out the early singles (See Emily Play, Apples and Oranges, Paintbox, Scarecrow, and Arnold Lane, Corporal Clegg, Candy and a Currant Bun...check out the music videos for all but the last one to see some of the very first music videos ever made) for the poppy, syd barrett stuff, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn for the Syddy but a lot more astral, acidified stuff. The singles and first couple albums may sound better to you and could ease introduction to them, unless you find it all pretentious hippie crap, in which case I'd recommend the Wall or DSotM. Don't feel like you have to like them though...they are kinda over-rated.

Some of their stuff is not good. I'll agree with that. BUT.

sje46 forgot to mention my favorite album by Pink Floyd -- Wish You Were Here. Cause that album is ridiculously good. Dark Side of the Moon is really good too. I find it entirely worthy of the praise. The wall is... long, yeah. my parents played it all the time when I was a kid though, so I love it.
uhhhh fuck.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 06, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

5368 songs. 674 artists. Over 32 GB. I lost half my music which was written on CDs :(
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Visk

Postby Visk » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 am UTC

3027 Songs
472 Artists
6.2 Days
11.73 GB

Not surprisingly, most of it is video game music (I'm looking at you 304 song SSBB album)
I need some good avatar ideas...

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Fri May 07, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

13166 songs in 1091 albums by 468 artists for a total of 938 hours (39.08) days... and growing :D
This library got started about... somewhere around 6 years ago, and the growth of it is nasty (I'd say about an average 10 albums per week).
And only 49.4% of it is pirated! :P [yes, I pirate... ethically... or, as ethically as I can]

Technical info:
Size on disk: 140GB (:/ I thought it was way less)
Preferred format: WMA (most is in default 128, lately I'm adding stuff in 320, just because)
All the music is prettily tagged in the Genre label so I can easily group similar music.

Random notable tags:
Rock: 9829 songs
Jazz: 1723 songs
Classic Rock: 3831 songs
Progressive Rock: 2556 songs
Indie Rock: 1847 songs
Music in Spanish: 681 songs
Singers: 1638 songs

Artists with most songs:
Jethro Tull: 326
The Beatles: 294
Ella Fitzgerald: 232

Artists with the longest playtime:
Jethro Tull: 24 hours, 34 minutes and 41 seconds
Led Zeppelin: 16 hours, 28 minutes and 5 seconds
Bob James: 14 hours, 2 minutes and 27 seconds

Okay, enough random facts about my library... stats are fun!

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Sat May 08, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Ok so 198 albums from 46 artists, taking up 63.49GB on my hard drive. Not THAT much music, but I think I need to buy a 2TB hard drive just for music & anime.

mowdownjoe

Postby mowdownjoe » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 am UTC

I store all the music that I actually listen to on my phone's little 16GB micro SD card, and all that music takes up about ¾ of that card. So... approximate 12 gigs (really, 10.6, since the makers of any removal storage since floppies have been rounding and using 10^x as a metric for the various byte ranges instead of 2^x), which adds up to 4 days and 13.5 hours worth of music. 1748 songs (counting various duplicates from live albums), from, according to my Last.fm profile (take a guess at my user name there...), 242 different bands, with an emphasis on rock.
And that's ignoring the various video-game soundtracks I've downloaded. While I don't listen to them much anymore mostly to keep them off of my Last.fm profile, there were a couple that I enjoyed.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun May 09, 2010 6:25 am UTC

1584 songs, which is roughly 1/6th of what I expected when I opened iTunes. 13.37 GB. 4 1/2 days.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon May 10, 2010 12:56 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:13.37 GB.

Nice.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon May 10, 2010 5:14 am UTC

1337geek wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:13.37 GB.

Nice.

Took me a second. :D

solarion

Postby solarion » Mon May 10, 2010 5:47 am UTC

3555 songs in the computer library, (12 1/2days) plus a shelffull of CDs and records and tapes that I can't get onto my computer due to a broken burning drive.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 am UTC

As of today, I've got 8246 songs, 637 albums, and 178 artists, spanning 15 genres (the vast majority of which are Rock, Metal and Alternative & Punk; not that iTunes's Genre designations really mean much anyway), totaling 29.2 days of music and taking up 72.58 GB of space in MP3 format.

And all but approximately 60 seconds of that (a couple ringtones I created with Audacity) are ripped from CDs that I physically own. No pirating for me.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 am UTC

LeagueOfMorons wrote:And all but approximately 60 seconds of that (a couple ringtones I created with Audacity) are ripped from CDs that I physically own. No pirating for me.

You know, I realized recently that I've never bought a single, physical CD. I have bought.. apparently, four hundred seventy six songs, on the internet. I have purchased music. but never a physical CD. Records, yes, but those aren't counted in my library. I think even a cassette of Queen. never a cd.
uhhhh fuck.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
LeagueOfMorons wrote:And all but approximately 60 seconds of that (a couple ringtones I created with Audacity) are ripped from CDs that I physically own. No pirating for me.

You know, I realized recently that I've never bought a single, physical CD. I have bought.. apparently, four hundred seventy six songs, on the internet. I have purchased music. but never a physical CD. Records, yes, but those aren't counted in my library. I think even a cassette of Queen. never a cd.

The only CDs I've ever bought have been the four Blümchen albums (I got them used through Discogs), and only then because I couldn't find all of them on the internet to pirate.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:
Midnight wrote:

The only CDs I've ever bought have been the four Blümchen albums (I got them used through Discogs), and only then because I couldn't find all of them on the internet to pirate.

Wow, really? I find that pretty surprising. I mean, I know I'm in the vast minority when it comes to not downloading music, but most everyone I know at least buys a few CDs every once in a while, no matter how much music they've acquired through other means.

Not that I'm criticizing or anything. The fact that anyone's even listening to good music anymore is something I'm thankful for. And God knows I spend way too much money on music as it is, so you're probably the smart ones after all.

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Wed May 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC

My digital music collection seems small by comparison, lol... ~500 songs on my old computer 5 years ago, and ~200 songs on my current computer. Then again, they're mostly classical/crossover/instrumental/New Agey stuff :P

The Binkster

Postby The Binkster » Fri May 14, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

32831 songs
903 artists
3221 albums
111.7 days
179.76 GB

I love music way too much...

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Fri May 14, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Another interesting statistic for those of us who use Last.fm to scrobble everything we listen to, how many songs do you listen to per day?

My average, over the period since November 2008, is 45 songs per day. (And I don't leave it playing while I'm not listening.) At that rate it would take me 28 days to listen to every song in my library, assuming I played each one time.
Last edited by Vox Imperatoris on Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Sun May 16, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

LeagueOfMorons wrote:
Vox Imperatoris wrote:
Midnight wrote:

Wow, really? I find that pretty surprising. I mean, I know I'm in the vast minority when it comes to not downloading music, but most everyone I know at least buys a few CDs every once in a while, no matter how much music they've acquired through other means.

Not that I'm criticizing or anything. The fact that anyone's even listening to good music anymore is something I'm thankful for. And God knows I spend way too much money on music as it is, so you're probably the smart ones after all.

In my case, there's several factors involved. Whenever I have money I buy CDs (since I'm too single for my own good), but I'm not rich and my wallet couldn't possibly match my musical thirst (maybe when I have a job?). But even if I had more money, a lot of the weird stuff I listen to is nearly impossible to find here (and shipping costs are often not so attractive). Plus, I'm not a big fan of buying music online, I much prefer owning the album, with the pretty box and the nice-smelling booklet inside (y'all know what I'm talking about). So I pirate, and I contribute when I can, but I completely admire and applaud your non-pirated library being way bigger than the non-pirated part of mine :D

Vox Imperatoris wrote:Another interesting statistic for those of us who use Last.fm to scrobble everythign we listen to, how many songs do you listen to per day?

My average, over the period since November 2008, is 45 songs per day. (And I don't leave it playing while I'm not listening.) At that rate it would take me 28 days to listen to every song in my library, assuming I played each one time.

30 songs per day for me since July 2009 (I know, how did I live without last.fm so long?). It's crazy, I used to listen to music on my PSP but lately I don't like it cause I can't scrobble that xD

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun May 16, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

i dont use last.fm. i don't know what scrobbling means. I would GUESS that I listen to thirty to fifty songs a day, with a quarter or less being music i've never heard before.
uhhhh fuck.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

bonzoWhale wrote:Plus, I'm not a big fan of buying music online, I much prefer owning the album, with the pretty box and the nice-smelling booklet inside (y'all know what I'm talking about).

Mmm. I love that smell. Everyone I know always thinks I'm batshit crazy when I mention it, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

That's honestly the biggest reason I prefer owning music physically, too. There's something so much more satisfying about having something tangible, something you can physically hold and go through the ritual of opening and peeling off the stickers and whatnot. Also, I took a few music copyright courses in college, and my faculty advisor in the Music Department was a former copyright lawyer, so maybe the legal implications have just been drilled into my brain too hard over the years. You could say I'm brainwashed into buying CDs, lol.

Midnight wrote:i don't know what scrobbling means.

Me neither.

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Mon May 17, 2010 3:23 am UTC

Mmm. I love that smell. Everyone I know always thinks I'm batshit crazy when I mention it, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

That's honestly the biggest reason I prefer owning music physically, too. There's something so much more satisfying about having something tangible, something you can physically hold and go through the ritual of opening and peeling off the stickers and whatnot. Also, I took a few music copyright courses in college, and my faculty advisor in the Music Department was a former copyright lawyer, so maybe the legal implications have just been drilled into my brain too hard over the years. You could say I'm brainwashed into buying CDs, lol.

YEAH! I got so mad at my sister cause she scratched Shankill Butchers off my Decemberist's Crane Wife (and somehow the cover became white o.O)... There are some albums that I just must own! (and so many I can't even get :()

guys... you don't know what scrobbling is? *freaks out* lol it's okay, I didn't know either a year ago... so here's this nifty little site called last.fm. You download the audio scrobbler plugin for your preferred music player, and what it does is it sends the music you listen to your last.fm profile. After some time listening to music, last starts getting to know you, and it can tell you all sorts of nifty stats for when you're bored, it can tell you how compatible you are with your friends, a bunch of other nifty stuff and, the most important thing: it has an amazing recommendation engine! A friend had to step out of last.fm cause he couldn't keep up with all the recommendations :P

This is what a profile looks like after a while :D
http://www.last.fm/user/bonzoWhale

There's also a pretty nifty player which I don't use since I have it all in my hard drive, but it grants you access to pretty much any music you like for the ridiculous price of 3 dollars or so.

Return to “Music”