Music Theory help

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

silvermace

Music Theory help

Postby silvermace » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

i'm taking a class in music theory and composition 2. Our assignment was to take a simple melody (i chose twinkle twinkle) and add chords to it. Except instead of the basic triad major chords, we have to add very bad sounding but theoretically correct chords.

I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my chords and my chord analysis and see if i did it right. any thank would be helpful.

also: someone clarify something for me. Say i have an Eb +7 (major 7) chord. That is an Eb major triad + a major 7? but say i want something like B major with a minor 7 (-7). How would i write that? B-7 (min7)? And if that's right. what if i have a b minor triad with a major/minor seven? Clarification would be helpful :D

here are my 8 measures of twinkle twinkle with chords (top 2 lines are piano chords; middle is melody; bottom is root note of each chord). Note: for chords like 9/11/13th I chose to remove certain notes (i'm allowed to do that).

Chord analysis (without my idea of how to differentiate 7th chords / minor 7th ect)

G Eb+7 Dmin(9) Bb(b13) C#+7 G B7 Gmaj9 G
D Cmin Amin(9) Bb+7 D Cmin F#11 A

note: any number in parenthesis aka Dmin(9) means i took the chord and then added the note. So instead of Dmin9 which is DFACE it's just DFAE (added 9th don't have 7th)

yeah thanks for the help

silvermace

Re: Music Theory help

Postby silvermace » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

got help don't need i think :D

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 am UTC

What is your definition of "theoretically correct". It differs on whether you are talking about the standards of pop/Mozart, Wagner, or Stravinsky (where in the last case you can basically shove a E major chord with an Eb dominant 7th on top, at the same time, creating a rather harsh dissonance). Also, are there any rules of chord progression do you have to follow?

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Xmaj7 = Major Triad + Major Seventh
Xm7 = Minor Triad + Minor Seventh
X7 = Major Triad + Minor Seventh (called a "Dominant Seventh")

Those are the three most common seventh chords because they appear diatonically, meaning that they appear in the major scale when you harmonize it.

For more chords, take a look at this post I made over at Ultimate-Guitar .. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sh ... stcount=17
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

I agree: it's not clear to me what you mean by "theoretically correct."

Also, note that the seventh chord notation you're using (Cmaj7, G7, etc.) is more of a jazz notation than one that's used in classical music theory.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

note: any number in parenthesis aka Dmin(9) means i took the chord and then added the note. So instead of Dmin9 which is DFACE it's just DFAE (added 9th don't have 7th)

It might be strictly correct but I find i's always neater and better imo to write xAdd9 for example if that's what you mean, especially if someone else is gonna be reading it without the notation or something, Dm(9) is still open to confusion whereas Dm+9 or DmAdd9 is quite clear that it's Dm plus the 9th.

Yeah I know, pointless and late post :P sorry.

Return to “Music”