Your first single...

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheKrikkitWars

Your first single...

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

One of my friends came into the kitchen the other day and said he'd heard on the radio that far too many people, when asked what their first single/album was come out with something excessively cool for the person's age at the time of release (for my generation who were born in the late 80's early 90's the example was "like something by Nirvarna"), thinking back that meshed with what I'd observed really well...

Any anacdotes on this? and what was your first single and album?

My first single was "Killing in the Name Of", but as my dad always discouraged me from getting singles as they're a rip off that was only last christmas.
I think my first album was "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water", which I listened to for all of ten minutes before my mother confiscated it...
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: Your first single...

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

I didn't really get into music at all until my last year of high school, and then I didn't really buy singles until the advent of iTunes, so I think I'm out on the 90s grunge front. Apparently my first single purchase was Mind's Eye by Wolfmother. (I was acquiring plenty of music via, er, other means prior to that, though.)

Edit: also this is probably better placed in Music, but some shady green person can come along and make that call.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

Dr. Dre's The Chronic. Bought for me while I was 12-14 by my older brother after I said I wanted it while passing by in Best Buy.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Edit: also this is probably better placed in Music, but some shady green person can come along and make that call.

I considered that, but thought it was more of a general discussion that happens to involve music than a specific musical discussion topic... I guess that's up to the Almighty Green People's judgement though.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Noise Therapy - Cyclops EP

My parents bought it on the advice of the record store guy, who I think may have been trying to fuck with my parents.

TommyTumnus

Postby TommyTumnus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

I have yet to purchase a single. If I only like the one song, I'll listen to it on youtube or something. Otherwise I'll buy albums. I think my first purchased album was something by Three Days Grace or Breaking Benjamin (eh, yeah, I don't look too fondly back on my music at the time).

lemma

Postby lemma » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

I think the first single I bought was Always by Erasure :oops:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Probably Dancing Queen by Abba.

I was eleven or something, ok?
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

First album was "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" by Modest Mouse.

First single... no idea. It might have been some version of the Das Boot theme.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Probably Dancing Queen by Abba.

I was eleven or something, ok?

That is... unfortunate.

I can't recall ever buying a single because it's bad value, and also I tend to be behind the times with my music, so singles aren't just sitting on the shelves when I get to it.

So, in illustration of this point I note that the first album I bought was almost certainly something by The Beatles. Maybe Revolver or Rubber Soul. I like to think I started out right.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I wouldn't know about singles. Never bought them. Cd's however:

My uncle heard from my parents that I loved Bohemian Rhapsody ( we had a compilation CD with that song on it, and I'd always put it in our CD player when I was alone at home and set it on repeat. ) so next time I saw him he gave a CD with his favourite Queen songs on it. It was no official CD, but my first one. :D First official one is probably A night at the Opera which I got for my 13th birthday or so.

First album was "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" by Modest Mouse.

+1

I got No-one's first and you're next. ( I also want the others, but don't got enough money. I especially want The Moon and Antarctica )
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Hanson - Mmmbop.

Move along.
Sapere aude.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:33 am UTC

Daojia wrote:Hanson - Mmmbop.

Move along.

You have been forgiven of your sins, since your avatar is the cover of Pink Floyd's Pulse.

As for my first album and single, that's a toughy.

Until I was about 13 or 14, most of my music came from either my parents (they'd give me tapes they didn't want anymore, or I'd listen to whatever they listened to), or the radio. Sometimes for the latter, I would record the song onto a cassette tape using the boombox we had, or a friend would record it.

When I was 13, my parents gave me 5 CDs for Christmas. They would become my first, official albums, since they were brand new. They were, in no particular order:

Peter Gabriel - So
Peter Gabriel - Us
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Off the Deep End
Ren & Stimpy - You Eeediot!
Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits 1974-1978

Unfortunately all of them ended up in pawn shops or music resellers for gas money.

The first album I bought with my own money I think would have to be the "Dangerous Minds" soundtrack I bought the following Christmas with money my parents gave me. They gave me a funny Christmas card featuring then-President Bill Clinton dedicating the White House Christmas tree, giving a speech about what it stands for. Inside the card showed Socks the cat knocking it down, thinking "It stands no more!" with Chelsea starting to come into view, yelling, "No, Socks! Bad kitty!"

A year or two later I made the mistake of joining one of those music mail clubs, where they send you albums they carry, and if you don't order, or specify otherwise, they will send you their "feature" album every month, which in most cases is Garbage. Which wasn't all that bad.
PRG

An important message for you:

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 am UTC

First album was Alight Still by Lilly Allen. Though it "should" be Stand Alone Complex (the soundtrack to GiTS) but I couldn't find a digital version *cough* legally *cough* or a CD version that wasn't ridiculously expensive... so Alight Still would be the first one I bought.

First single... hrm... I think Straight to Hell, from the War Child: Heroes album.

Both are fairly recent (last 3-4 years) though, and I still only own about 10 albums total (all digital, because CDs are silly).

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:58 am UTC

My first CD was Satellite, by P.O.D. I only occasionally listen to it now, not really my style of music anymore. That was back in 2003. I never bought an actual hard-copy single, if I ever do it will be in a display of fanboyism, and for the b-sides, not for the single itself. I'd just watch the vid on YouTube or buy it on iTunes if I wanted that, cheaper that way.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:33 am UTC

Both my first single and album were by Nirvana...

Album: "Incesticide"
Single: "All Apologies/Rape Me"

Although, this was only about 6 years ago. :P I bought their singles mainly to hear the b-sides...

J the Ninja wrote:if I ever do it will be in a display of fanboyism, and for the b-sides, not for the single itself

Heh, I wrote my post before I read yours :P
RAGUS wrote:There are more metal bands than there are Pokemon,

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:45 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Noise Therapy - Cyclops EP

My parents bought it on the advice of the record store guy, who I think may have been trying to fuck with my parents.

I agree that he might well have been trying to fuck with your parents, but I just downloaded it and it's a reasonably good bit of metal. :D

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 am UTC

My first single was, I think, a promotional copy of Madison Avenue's "Who The Hell Are You", the lesser known follow-up to their "Don't Call Me Baby", which some promoters gave me as a thirteen-year-old when I was out somewhere with my parents. I didn't want it at first, but then my brother asked to keep it, and suddenly I did.

My first album was a Michael Jackson one, when I was maybe seven, and I remember being as interested in the shiny colours of a CD than I was the actual tracks. Although I must admit I thought "Heal the World" was incredibly profound at the time.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:"Weird Al" Yankovic - Off the Deep End

Nice. The first CDs I got were when my parents bought me his self-titled first album and his greatest hits collection. My obsession has grown exponentially since then.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:"Weird Al" Yankovic - Off the Deep End

Nice. The first CDs I got were when my parents bought me his self-titled first album and his greatest hits collection. My obsession has grown exponentially since then.

A year before, my parents gave me a dual-cassette deck boom box for Christmas, and three $10 Turtles gift certificates. I had bought three cassette tapes with those certificates:

Saturday Night Live - Best of 1976 (The Not-Ready-For-Primetime-Players)
The Addams Family Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Greatest Hits

I asked my parents for another "Weird Al" album, and they bought "Deep End". Some time later I bought a cassette of "Alapalooza", and had a CD of "Running With Scissors". I think it's time for a trip to Amazon and add those to my cart for future purchase, along with some Ray Stevens, Jerry Clower, Bill Cosby, George Carlin, and maybe some Firesign Theater.
PRG

An important message for you:

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

I've only ever bought two physical singles in my life: the first was Parallel Worlds by Elliot Minor (goddamn that song is catchy) and the second Better Than Love by Hurts (quite recently).
My first album was Black Holes and Revelations by Muse. I bought it because I not only did I like the song Starlight but also because I was extremely amused by mishearing 'black holes and revelations' as 'mackerels and delegations' XD
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

I've never bought a single, but let's see...

The first CD I ever owned was probably The Illusion of Safety by Thrice, which my friend bought me for my 13th birthday in 2002.
As far as the first CD I ever bought, that was probably Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian in 2003, which I listened to more times than I can count. Around the same time I bought Absolution by Muse off of iTunes, my first and only digital purchase.

After that, I know I used my first paycheck (when I was 16) to buy:
Catch Without Arms by Dredg
Lunar Strain by In Flames
Second Stage Turbine Blade by Coheed and Cambria
Dommedagsnatt by Thorr's Hammer.

After that I started buying music pretty much weekly, so I have no idea what the chronology was like.

Phill

Postby Phill » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

My first single, I think, was the official Euro 96 England song. It was so good I can't even remember what it was called, and can't be bothered to Google it. I lent it to someone and never got it back. I think the next single I bought, that I remember at least, may have been "Barbie Girl" by Aqua (on cassette tape, no less). I like to put a positive spin on it - at least there was no way it could get worse! (Actually, I won't go there. My early days of buying CDs - or tapes - are not something I'm proud of.)

The first album I bought I'm not sure about - I bought a few compilations to start with. I think my first proper album was "Better Living Through Chemistry" by Fatboy Slim.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 am UTC

First albums I was given included, I think, Madonna - True Blue and Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward. The former I liked well enough, and the latter I played so many times the tape gave out. First album I bought myself I think was Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet. Sufficiently embarrassing pop, IMO.

It's hard at this point for me to be certain what the first single I ever got was. I *think* it was Depeche Mode - Everything Counts. I know I definitely got that when I was young, and I can't think of any other singles I had back then. I definitely got Policy of Truth when I was ten, and that happened after Everything Counts by a fair bit. If you couldn't tell - Depeche Mode was the first "favourite band" I ever had. And to this day, actually, the only band I've ever had a poster of. (Though it's long gone now.)

I would like to claim that it's hard to have non-laughable choices when your childhood takes place in the 80s. That said, I still think all my Depeche Mode stuff is totally reasonable, if no longer my favourite, so take from that what you will. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

Can't say I've ever purchased a single. As for album, I bought Americana by The Offspring sometime around 7th grade, which would be the only cassette I ever purchase. Next album, I think would have been Weird Al's "Running with Scissors" on CD.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Oh wow... I'll buy a few individual songs online when I don't feel like paying for the whole album, but mostly because I'm simply on a tight budget.

Hell if I know what I first bought with my own money. I wanna say it was AC/DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

I know for a fact the first album that really began my love of rock n roll and shaped how I approach it today was Led Zeppelin's 4th album. (I'm being nice by not giving it a title, as should be.)

The first CD of a contemporary band I bought, I think, was Get Born by JET.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 am UTC

I know I've never purchased a physical-copy single, but I'm sure I've bought things online. The first song I downloaded online was Muscle Museum by Muse (only in typing that did I realise that all three words start 'mus-'), but that was illegal, so probably doesn't count. My first legal single purchase... I honestly have no idea, it could've been anything, really. It might've been Plain White T's - Radios in Heaven (before they were famous :o - it was my first experience of liking a band that subsequently made it big).

My first album purchase was one of the Now That's What I Call Music compilations - I'm pretty sure it was Now 50, in 2001 (I didn't really get interested in music at all until shortly before I went to Uni). Looking back, there were maybe 3 good songs on there. No I don't want to talk about it. :oops:

The first 'real' album I bought was Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory), in 2003. By that point I'd downloaded a fair bit of stuff illegally, though. I don't do that anymore - all the music I've got in the last ~3 years is legitimately purchased.

Whistling Nixie

Postby Whistling Nixie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:08 pm UTC

The first single I bought (on cassette format, with the 12" mix instead) was "Love and Pride" by King, back in 1985. I'd bought my first album earlier that year - Ghostbusters soundtrack, also on cassette.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:36 am UTC

My primary school teacher made a single, and I bought it from my pocket money. It sucks horribly, but the money went to support some good cause. In hindsight, I don't even care about the good cause.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:23 am UTC

Do they still have singles? Why is the topic "your first single" instead of "your first single/album"? It seems kinda odd, because haven't albums historically sold a lot better than singles? Whatever.

I've never bought music. On my ipod the first song I was really into was Hey There Delilah. The first full albums I got where Help! Sgt. Peppers and...Abbey Road?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Return to “Music”