Do you actually rate your songs?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you give songs ratings in your music player?

Yes, every song
8%
Yes, but only the songs that I feel strongly about
13%
No, I can keep track of which songs I like
70%
Other (Explain)
8%

Total votes: 83

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Do you actually rate your songs?

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 am UTC

After a Facebook status-poll, it looks like my friends are pretty much split about this. The next logical step is the fora.

I give all of my songs ratings from 1 to 5 in Banshee/iTunes, and it helps a bit when I'm making playlists... But then again, I only have about two thousand songs, and I'm more or less familiar with all of them. Plus, my opinion of a song usually depends on my mood, so it's not always a great system. So right now there's a bit of debate going as to whether the effort of rating songs is worth it.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Re: Do you actually rate your songs?

Postby The EGE » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am UTC

I have about 450 at the present time. I only use ratings to sort my 'probation' playlist of the stuff I've mass-taken from CDs, but am not sure if I want to keep.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

Wait, people actually *do* rate their songs? I just throw all my music into one playlist and hit random. If I find something I just don't like, I remove it from the playlist. If I find a song I really like, I'll throw it into another playlist for when I want a constant stream of familiar and great songs.

I've always found the rating system to be kinda useless. It's daunting to rate them all (which would be the only way I see it being useful?) and I can't form an opinion of a song without listening to it a few times on various occasions.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

I don't rate my music, mainly because I think it's a bit pointless (for me): I always just play my music on random, generally the entire collection. Occasionally create a playlist of specific stuff but not often.

Plus, like someone else has said, a highly rated song is not necessarily a song that you always want to listen to! It depends very much on mood etc.

The only real usage I can think of for it is if I was listening to a whole bunch of new stuff and wanted a way to remember what I liked and what I didn't. But practically I don't think that would ever happen, I usually listen to new music on Spotify / the radio etc, where I either can't rate it or can just drop stuff I like into a playlist.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

I go through phases where I try to rate my music library. I probably get a hundred or so songs done each time I try, out of my collection of thousands. So I have some of my songs rated (generally the ones I know well by title and those that come on random shuffle when I'm actively rating songs), but nothing like all of them.

I had loads of them rated a while ago, then I realised the way I was rating songs was relatively pointless. I used to work on a system where 0=terrible, 1=poor, 2=mediocre, 3=decent/good, 4=great and 5=amazing, for example. Then I realised that I was only using half the scale - I don't tend to have music I don't consider at least decent/good, and the little I do have I should just rate 0 so I don't have to listen to it. So I removed all my ratings and started again, with 'decent' at 1 and only the most epicly great songs ever at 5.

With that system I normally just set my playlist to 'everything that isn't rated 0', bumping it up to >2 or so if I want only the music I really like.

ProZac wrote:Wait, people actually *do* rate their songs? I just throw all my music into one playlist and hit random. If I find something I just don't like, I remove it from the playlist. If I find a song I really like, I'll throw it into another playlist for when I want a constant stream of familiar and great songs.

I used to do this, but I never got very far with it. I think it's probably one of the better ways to go about selecting songs to play, though.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

I have the ratings part hidden, and I've all but forgotten the system existed. Even if I did use it, my tastes change too often to universally say, " This is 5 stars, this is one."

Except for "Coconut".
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

swagar

Postby swagar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:06 am UTC

If I rated songs, my constantly changing opinions combined with my obsessive organization of my iTunes library would cause me to go insane. I put too much time into my collection as it is.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

I rate things, mostly to make iTunes Genius stop playing "Rock and Roll" and "Going to California" too damn much
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

My ratings don't exactly match up with the "five star" system... Something with one star would be about a 4/10 in my book. If a song were lower than that, I'd probably delete it. =/

5 = I like listening to this regardless of how I'm feeling
4 = Awesome song when I'm in the right mood, pretty good otherwise
3 = Decent song, something I wouldn't mind being on shuffle
2 = Meh, I'll only listen to it if I'm going through an album
1 = I'm only keeping this song because the rest of the album is good

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 am UTC

I rate all my music as pretty awesome.

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

swagar wrote:If I rated songs, my constantly changing opinions combined with my obsessive organization of my iTunes library would cause me to go insane. I put too much time into my collection as it is.

I feel the same way :P

Besides, I usually listen to albums rather than songs. When I feel like listen to some Supertramp, I'll put one of their albums on. If I am in a Chopinesque mood, I will pick Horowitz's favourite Chopin collection, etc etc.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

I'm in the minority here as a kind of obsessive rater, but I mostly do it because my ipod doesn't hold a whole lot and I use the ratings to tell itunes which ones get synced and which stay on the computer. My system is as follows:

Unrated: why is this here, this is terrible/I haven't listened to it yet
1: this is pretty bad but I can't bring myself to get rid of it yet
2: I can listen to this once in a while
3: oh hey, it's this, I probably won't skip this
4: yes
5: YES DEFINITELY

3-5, being the ones I reliably listen to, go on the ipod or the "I don't want to have to think about skipping stuff" playlist.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

I never rate my music mostly because my tastes change pretty frequently. What I love today I'll probably be incredibly tired of in two months, only to re-discover how much I love it three months after that.

I suppose that's why I don't really make playlists. I just throw my entire collection in one playlist and set it to random, most of the time, unless I feel like listening to something specific. The only real exception to this is when I got the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, since I wanted to listen to the CD and my default playlist sorts by artist name, thus scattering the CD across the playlist, so I made a playlist that just had this CD on it.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

I use the rating system, but not as intended. As others have said, if I have a song that I really actively dislike, it probably won't be in my library for long. So I use 1-3 stars to mark songs for other purposes.

5s are my absolute favorites-of-all-time: songs that I think are nearly perfect and/or have some sort of personal significance. I've got this group down to 24 songs, which wasn't easy.

4s are general favorites and standout tracks. I have 531 of these, which is about 13% of my library.

3s are songs that I've flagged for later listening, whenever I stumble upon something interesting and don't want it to get lost in the crowd.

1s are tracks that are looping, spoken-word only, or are so long that I don't want them popping up in a random shuffle. (Basically the same as unchecking a song in iTunes.)

I'm not currently using 2 stars for anything; it's just waiting until an unpredictable need arises.

Halborr

Postby Halborr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

I don't use the rating system because I listen to albums (this works well for live stuff, which I have a lot of... it's not fun to jump into the middle of a set just to go to another artist when it's done, it doesn't work when there's a reprise or a jam leads into another song) as well as my digital collection is only about 50% of my actual music library (I can't bring myself to digitize my records, it just seems like an album you can listen to anywhere, at any time loses some of its value), so a rating system wouldn't really work that well.

Plus, I know what I want to listen to.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

No I don't, since with me ratings tend to be very subjective and change with my mood. There are some songs I can't imagine not wanting to listen to though. But for the most I might think a song should have 4 stars one day, then I week later I don't want to listen to it.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Depending on which computer I'm on, I have somewhere between 6k and 20k songs, so not all of them are rated. Periodically I try listening to a playlist of all unrated songs so that I can try to actively move them up the ranks into my system.

My system:
1 - NOTE TO SELF: DELETE THIS - IT ANNOYS THE CRAP OUT OF YOU
2 - Meh. It's not terrible, but I don't actively enjoy it much. I don't delete these because my feelings change over time.
3 - Base rate of enjoyment. I have a playlist on all my versions of iTunes called "Generically Enjoyable" which consists of this rating and higher.
4 - This is pretty fucking awesome. I am likely to enjoy this in most moods, and for a good long while.
5 - I am completely wonko obsessive over this song and I think it is super goddamned amazing. I tend to have fewer than a dozen songs with this rating at any point. Right now looks like I have six.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

I don't rate my songs because the music I listen to is so mood dependent. Most of the time I know exactly what I want to listen to, so I listen to that. Occasionally I use shuffle, but if I don't like music, I don't keep it, so I'm really okay with any of the music that I have.

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

A 2 GB iPod requires a good sorting system. I have a comparatively small library, about 10 GB. 3 stars is the current minimum qualification for iPod inclusion, and periodically I'll demote songs to keep the top end nice and exclusive (due for one soon). I also utilise half-stars inside of iTunes.

Furthermore, I keep a list of artists who I consider better than the rest (I rate some songs from these artists lower than they should be to maintain diversity). In the event that I have free space, but not enough for the entire next tier down... yep, they're in.

1: Not worth deleting, and waiting for a larger iPod or change in taste.
2: A song that I know. Demoted as my collection expanded.
2.5: A recent demotion from 3.
3: Average or better.
4: Four out of five.
4.5: Because, well, see below. Relatively recent promotions from 4.
5: Perfect or even better.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

aldonius wrote:A 2 GB iPod requires a good sorting system. I have a comparatively small library, about 10 GB. 3 stars is the current minimum qualification for iPod inclusion, and periodically I'll demote songs to keep the top end nice and exclusive (due for one soon). I also utilise half-stars inside of iTunes.

Furthermore, I keep a list of artists who I consider better than the rest (I rate some songs from these artists lower than they should be to maintain diversity). In the event that I have free space, but not enough for the entire next tier down... yep, they're in.

1: Not worth deleting, and waiting for a larger iPod or change in taste.
2: A song that I know. Demoted as my collection expanded.
2.5: A recent demotion from 3.
3: Average or better.
4: Four out of five.
4.5: Because, well, see below. Relatively recent promotions from 4.
5: Perfect or even better.

How do you get half stars in iTunes? I can only get whole numbers of stars. I can give half stars in Amarok, though

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

I don't see the point of it. I download entire albums, and I guess a few songs are a 1, I suppose. All the individual songs I download will be 5s.

What's the point in it?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Retne

Postby Retne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:31 am UTC

I'm a bit a fuddy duddy I guess. I still like to listen to my music in album form. A lot of the music I like is put in specific order in the album on purpose so it seems a little strange to listen to it out of order, like missing a step on the stairs.

This leads me to never rate tracks let alone use those giant programs that aggregate all your music. Maybe I'm stuck in 99 in that sense?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 am UTC

sje46 wrote:What's the point in it?
Mostly obsessive-compulsive-esque labeling, but it's useful in making playlists. I made a playlist of the good songs from the Scrubs soundtrack a few days ago, and it was as simple as searching for "Scrubs" and adding all the 4- and 5-star songs.

And there's the iPod thing: I don't have space for all of my music, but I can fit all of my 4s and 5s and most of the 3s. It was pretty easy to organize which songs would be synced.

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 am UTC

How do you get half stars in iTunes?

As a Mac user it's a single [code] defaults write com.apple.iTunes allow-half-stars -bool TRUE [code] in terminal.

For Windows, I suppose this instuctable has it right. (A matter of manually changing a key value in the xml preference file)
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Enable-Half-Stars-In-Itunes/

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

aldonius wrote:
How do you get half stars in iTunes?

As a Mac user it's a single [code] defaults write com.apple.iTunes allow-half-stars -bool TRUE [code] in terminal.

For Windows, I suppose this instuctable has it right. (A matter of manually changing a key value in the xml preference file)
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Enable-Half-Stars-In-Itunes/

Thanks

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 am UTC

Honestly, I have never used the rating system for iTunes.

I know I like the music I have loaded on there and that's good enough for me.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

I have several playlists that cater to different moods. When I add new songs to my library, I also add them to whatever playlists they fit in. I "rate" my songs at 5 stars just as a sort of "check mark" after I've added it to its appropriate playlists (and properly formatted the track information and given it a genre). So any non-5-starred song is either something accidentally added to my library (delete!) or something I just added and am still sorting out.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

Yes, I want to see which song I have played in its entirety and that there are no errors in my rip.

gaius

Postby gaius » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 pm UTC

I don't rate my playlist, for the simple reason that I don't have an MP3 playlist (shock and horror!). If I want listen to music, I just throw in a CD, or, if I want to explore new music, I tend to use YouTube and similar services. I genuinely do not understand how people manage to listen to "random". If you're actually listening to music, then surely you'd like to choose what you're going to be listening to? And if you're using music in the background, surely you'd like to select some specific non-obtrusive music to set the beat (in general it amazes me how some people seem to voluntarily live their lives submerged in a perpetual diarrhoea of random MP3's - it would drive me completely nuts, but I suppose that's besides the point).

There are a number of pieces out there that I would rate as "very good" or "almost perfect", but if they come up in any kind of playlist or radio station, I tend to drop whatever I'm doing and listen to the music - then move on to the next piece of music and so forth, until two hours later I've realised that I have not done anything productive.

To answer the question though: myself being a musical genius, of course I rate all of my songs as "totally perfect"! But that's also due to my bandmates, of course :)

Maxpm

Postby Maxpm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

If I really, really like a song, I'll rate it with four or five stars. Otherwise, I just won't bother.

Unfortunately, I only set these ratings when I first hear the song. So when sorting by rating, a lot of songs I don't listen to anymore will appear near the top of the list.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

gaius wrote:I genuinely do not understand how people manage to listen to "random". If you're actually listening to music, then surely you'd like to choose what you're going to be listening to?

Sometimes, sure. Contrary to what some curmudgeons believe about "the iPod generation," I even sit down and listen to full albums on a regular basis. I recognize that a lot of tracks, especially from the artists I tend to like, are not meant for random shuffle.

Just as often, however, I really don't know what I want to listen to until I hear it. I have a library of about 4000 tracks now, which is more than enough to continually surprise me with stuff that I either forgot that I had, or just haven't heard in so long that it doesn't occur to me to seek it out. (This may be a side effect of my terrible memory.) So I do occasionally play my entire library on shuffle, just to keep me on my toes. Sometimes I have to skip 10-15 tracks before I find what I want. But it's always a delight to rediscover something you love. Very often, I'll promptly abandon my audit and go play the album or discography whence the track came.

And if you're using music in the background, surely you'd like to select some specific non-obtrusive music to set the beat[?]

Well, that's the purpose of a playlist. I have specific lists for when I'm working, writing, driving, and even for setting certain moods during a roleplaying game. I also use them to "tag" songs with certain qualities: instrumental pieces, for example, or live performances. All in all, it gives me a good range of choices for particular listening contexts, without having to make specific selections every time. In fact, I frequently exclude my four- and five-star tracks from these lists because, like you, I would find them distracting.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 am UTC

Shuffle: It's like ordering a 5 course meal in a fancy resturant and then just mixing it all together in one big pot.
You'll get custard all over your salmon, and seafood sauce soaked into your spongecakes.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Of course Foobar has the option to shuffle your albums.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 am UTC

I did before I switched from iTunes to foobar. Rating songs was useful at one point, but sometimes I'll move away from an artist for a time and listen to other stuff, then come back to it. In this time a song could go from five stars to one, then back to five.

I just have "current favourites" that I listen to and songs come and go and come again all the time.

Return to “Music”