I play guitar and stuff

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

anterovipunen

I play guitar and stuff

Postby anterovipunen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

I started playing guitar last year and this is my favourite song.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/j ... r5_tab.htm

I know the very basic chord shapes and power chords but not much more. I can't strum really, only pick.

Does anyone have any cool tabs to share or wise old advice to pass on to beginners?

Stacy S.

Re: I play guitar and stuff

Postby Stacy S. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

My advise is don't refuse to practice!

When I was eight, my mother forced me to take piano lessons. that lasted about six months until she gave up paying for lessons because I refused to practice.

When I was ten, my mother forced me to take violin lessons. that lasted about six months until she gave up paying for lessons because I refused to practice.

When I was twelve, I begged my mom for a guitar. She refused saying it would just be a waste of money. I went over her head to dad[dy-kins]. He overruled her so she bought me a 3/4 classical and forced me to take lessons. Of course, a classical guitar was not at all what I envisioned, so that lasted about six months until she gave up paying for lessons because I refused to practice.

She told me I'd be sorry someday. :(

anterovipunen

Postby anterovipunen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

RIght. I was more hoping for good (easy) songs to learn. Cool recommendations :)

For example, this is the FF battle song from the Scott Pilgrim film adapted for regular guitar.

Sadly it doesn't translate well to power chords. But it still sounds pretty good and really strengthens your 4th/5th finger depending on how you play it.
Attachments
FF.png

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

How do you play power chords? Two strings or three? I find them more versatile/faster to play with two strings.

There are a lot of variations on the ol' power chord that can make your sound more interesting.
-Play them with your middle and pinkie. This way you can move up one fret without shifting your hand. Practice hard, you can do hammer-on/pull-off power chords and be called a badass.
-Play octaves! Instead of frets, 3,5,5 starting on the low E string, play 3,x,5, where the x is muting. You can also use an open string above, below, or inside the octave as a drone. Starting on the low A: 5,0,7 - 8,0,10 - 12,0,14.
-Play inverted power chords. Starting on the A, if you play 3,5, it's the same 'chord' as 5,5 starting on the low E. Or you can play (starting on E), 3,3,5 for an added note.

Hope this helps!

Canadian_F_H

Postby Canadian_F_H » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

anterovipunen wrote:I started playing guitar last year and this is my favourite song.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/j ... r5_tab.htm

I know the very basic chord shapes and power chords but not much more. I can't strum really, only pick.

Does anyone have any cool tabs to share or wise old advice to pass on to beginners?

learn some basic scales... the main 5 are as follows

Major, Minor, Pentatonic Major, Pentatonic Minor, and the Blues scale...

also i highly recommend this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Guitar-Bible-Instruction-Manual/dp/0895240661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291064853&sr=8-1

six6six6six6

Postby six6six6six6 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:33 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:How do you play power chords? Two strings or three? I find them more versatile/faster to play with two strings.

There are a lot of variations on the ol' power chord that can make your sound more interesting.
-Play them with your middle and pinkie. This way you can move up one fret without shifting your hand. Practice hard, you can do hammer-on/pull-off power chords and be called a badass.
-Play octaves! Instead of frets, 3,5,5 starting on the low E string, play 3,x,5, where the x is muting. You can also use an open string above, below, or inside the octave as a drone. Starting on the low A: 5,0,7 - 8,0,10 - 12,0,14.
-Play inverted power chords. Starting on the A, if you play 3,5, it's the same 'chord' as 5,5 starting on the low E. Or you can play (starting on E), 3,3,5 for an added note.

Hope this helps!

Also, one thing that I like to do is:
D|-2-
A|-0-
E|-1-

It's like an inverted power chord, but it's also an implied Maj7.

Return to “Music”