The Rural Alberta Advantage- Departing

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lime

The Rural Alberta Advantage- Departing

Postby Lime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 am UTC

Departing Is the newest release by Canadian indie rock band The Rural Alberta Advantage. I don't know how many of you have heard of them, but they've been getting pretty big recently, having done a European tour and appearing on MTV Live to perform a few songs. Personally, I absolutely love this album because the singer, Nils is actually from the same town as me, Fort McMurray, Alberta, and the references to things like the river breakup and even specific areas in my town just kind of warm my heart. They have a driving, percussive sound, owed mainly to their very talented drummer, but also to their third member occasionally playing auxiliary percussion. They're a little difficult to categorise, as some of their songs sound like folk, some sound like pop, some sound like punk, etc. The album was released on iTunes for Canadians last week, but today is the official release date everywhere else, so I thought I'd share it with you fine folks, and see what you think of it.

Oh, and here's their latest music video, for one of the songs on the album.

pieflaffuh

Re: The Rural Alberta Advantage- Departing

Postby pieflaffuh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

I really like Rural Alberta Advantages, specially the lead singer's voice, and the feel of, naturalness, I guess that's in the singing.
My favourite's a tie between Drain the Blood / In the Summertime

Retne

Postby Retne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 am UTC

OK. I'm off to give them a listen. I will come back in an hour or so with my opinion of them after I feel I've given them a fair shake.

Opinion Edit: Alrighty I feel I've gone through a decent amount of their songs and I have to say I don't really like it. The reason is I don't really like the dude's voice. I like pretty much everything else about them except for the guys voice. I came to this conclusion after listening to wheezy waiter's version of Don't Haunt This Place. I really liked the song when it was wheezy singing it but felt "meh" at best about the song with the original vocals.

I can definitely understand the appeal but it's just not my cup of tea apparently.

Lime

Postby Lime » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:34 am UTC

Did you really enjoy Wheezy's cover of Don't Haunt This Place more than the original? No offence to the guy, but he's pretty plain. I enjoy Nil's voice a lot more. And I can kinda see what you mean about his voice. The first time I heard them, I didn't like it very much, but I really liked some of their songs, so I just kinda kept listening and now I literally can't see why I didn't like it in the first place. To each their own, I suppose.

Retne

Postby Retne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Yep. In fact this is the first time a voice has completely turned me off of the music it accompanies since I first heard bjork. I can't even pinpoint exactly what it is about the voice that grates on me but it does just that. I think my reasons for appreciating the wheezy version had less to do with wheezy and more to do with the use of a good music composition without that guy's mouth noises ruining it for me. :mrgreen:

Return to “Music”