Has there ever been a sadder song than 'Last Kiss'?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

nitePhyyre

Has there ever been a sadder song than 'Last Kiss'?

Postby nitePhyyre » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:12 am UTC

Sorry, this one. The Pearl Jam one is probably the best. Well, because I'm young. If you were a teen in the 60s or 70s you would probably prefer the versions by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers or Wednesday.
Last edited by nitePhyyre on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

TaintedDeity

Re: Has there ever been a sadder song than 'Last Kiss'?

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 am UTC

By Wayne Cochran (and associated covers), Taylor Swift or Tanpopo?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:55 am UTC

No idea what song you're talking about, but I think I can safely say yes, there has. Strange Fruit by Nina Simone, and Dress Rehearsal Rag by Leonard Cohen are almost certainly sadder, in that they are about as sad as it gets. I can think of a few more too.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 am UTC

Well, Nina is on a level of her own. She gives Japanese dramatists a run for their money in the tragic gauntlet.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

I don;t know, IMO Strange fruits has an anger/protest vibe to it. I feel that detracts from the pure tragedy. Just my $.02.

If you dont want to listen to the song here is a synopsis.
This song is about Jeanette Clark and J.L. Hancock, who were both 16 years old when their car hit a tractor-trailer on a road in rural Barnesville, Georgia. They were on a date a few days before Christmas in 1962. A local gas station attendant helping with the recovery of the bodies did not recognize his own daughter when he helped pull the bodies out of the wreckage.

Although that chunk of text makes it seem down right cheery compared to the song itself.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

MissAusten

Postby MissAusten » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am UTC

I don't know if it's sadder that Last Kiss, but Red Baloons by Katie Melua it's sure a sad song for me...

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

You want to know a song that, when I listen to it, makes me really depressed?

Friday as sung by Rebecca Black. You have to admit the lyrics are pretty sad. :P
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Tinman42

Postby Tinman42 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:12 am UTC

"hurt" the johny cash version is very sad.

So is "wish you were here" by Pink floyd.

But I think "release" by pearl jam is their saddest song. But then again, I discovered this song after my dad died, and that is what the song is about.
-do they have topless orange juice commercials in your country?

"My stocks dropped 18 percent this week"
"well, at least we have toast"
"tru dat"

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 am UTC

I always thought the original by NIN was sadder, but I agree with that they're both beautiful and very sad.

For me, some of the saddest songs are;
- This version of The Mercy Seat performed by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis. ( Original by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds )
- Bankrupt on Selling by Modest Mouse.
- Like Music by Ulver.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Tinman42

Postby Tinman42 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:I always thought the original by NIN was sadder, but I agree with that they're both beautiful and very sad.

I enjoy both, I get more of an angry/sad feeling from NIN though, JC gives me a remorse/regret/sad feeling.
-do they have topless orange juice commercials in your country?

"My stocks dropped 18 percent this week"
"well, at least we have toast"
"tru dat"

Malus Rune

Postby Malus Rune » Sun May 08, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

"Let Down" by Radiohead is about as sad as I've ever heard. It's so bleak and existential and mechanical.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun May 08, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Jed the Humanoid by Grandaddy.
I don't think I can find Let Down sad, after reading about it in the Radiothread, and thinking of the drinks in EastEnders being bluescreen'd in on Time Trumpet.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu May 19, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

When You Go, by Jonathan Coulton
418 I'm a teapot

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

The saddest song I know is, I think, Casimir Pulaski Day.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

Dead Boy's Poem by Nightwish is also incredibly sad. It is the only song I can recall making me cry.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Devotchka's How It Ends has actually made me cry. Last Kiss, while sad, does not hold that distinction.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

Sadness being the subjective thing that it is, I always find Cut Here by The Cure to be sad, when listened to alongside the history.

jcelia

Postby jcelia » Mon May 30, 2011 11:58 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uv_simb1I

Street Spirit (Fade Out) by Radiohead is also quite depressing, especially when you read the lyrics and the band's intent. Plus, the music video fits the song really well, because all sorts of random events are occurring, but no one is happy, and no one has control over their actions.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:- Bankrupt on Selling by Modest Mouse.

Amazing song. So much modest mouse stuff is incredibly and terrifyingly bleak, but never makes me sad, more likely brings a smile to my face. I like to think that's less of me being a crazy person and more of them being really amazing at making it a perspective thing, but that might be wishful thinking.

Also, the drugs don't work by the verve... the lyrics say a lot, but definitely have to listen for the full effect. This song actually topped the list in some research on human physiological reactions (in this case, those associated with sadness) to music. That sort of research only gets so accurate I guess, but it's probably worth something. I'd heard that after listening to the song and definitely could see it.

edit: linky - http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/9181
that'll also give you some more food for thought on saddest songs (and happiest)

Phill

Postby Phill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Intrigued wrote:Also, the drugs don't work by the verve... the lyrics say a lot, but definitely have to listen for the full effect. This song actually topped the list in some research on human physiological reactions (in this case, those associated with sadness) to music. That sort of research only gets so accurate I guess, but it's probably worth something. I'd heard that after listening to the song and definitely could see it.

edit: linky - http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/9181
that'll also give you some more food for thought on saddest songs (and happiest)

The Drugs Don't Work is a great song, I always feel that song has kind of a positive note about it though ("I know I'll see your face again").

On the research - I'm not sure I can trust a list of saddest songs ever in which the second song is "Angels" by Robbie Williams. It was also amusing to see "Spice up your Life" by the Spice Girls on the list of happiest songs. Anyway </tangent>

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Well again, the target of that case is not the song with the saddest lyrics, it's the song that overall evokes the saddest physiological response, which has a lot to do with melody and tone in addition to lyrics. Not saying I support the list 100%, but I think you're looking at it through a different lens. Y

eah, the drugs don't work is great. I see even the positive note as pretty sad though... I know I'll see your face again is we'll meet up again in death. It's bittersweet. Also the metaphor about a cat in a bag waiting to drown is super depressing.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:When You Go, by Jonathan Coulton

This. Also, "Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned)" by the Decemberists, especially if you've listened to the whole story. "Adam's Song" by blink 182 and "When I Fall" by Barenaked Ladies (specifically the version on Rock Spectacle)were the first songs that I found truly, strikingly sad.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

choginga

Postby choginga » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:51 am UTC

Gloomy Sunday sung by Billy Holiday. It was famous for causing suicide.

Edit: And my personal preference for sad song The Noose by A Perfect Circle

Maraki

Postby Maraki » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

How about Wagner's Siegfried Funeral March ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wHteSOwW4 )?

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

It certainly doesn't have a typically sad melody, but the lyrics of Hearts and Spades by I The Mighty are pretty damn sad. It's about a soldier in an unspecified time period going off to fight a war he doesn't believe in, leaving his lover behind, and dying on the battlefield.

Spoiler:
With a "knock knock" my eyes come open. I light a match and orange fills the room. The candle light dancing off the walls and the movements enough to wake her up. The men are outside with their torches. I hear the hooves of the horses I must lead.

"Would you fill up this flask with your moonshine. I'll need it to keep myself warm through this snowy storm. Hide your tears till my sights are out the door, its hard enough to leave for a war I don't believe. Would you fill up this gun with melted soldiers, its the hand-made bullets that saved for the ring you wear. And Ill be wearing mine through the war cries. I won't let them tear it from my hands."

The waiting i over. The waiting is over and I tell her as I go that "I'm coming back." But I may not be coming back.
"Promise me you wont forget this but promise me you shall not dwell, I'm coming back." But I may not be coming back.
Take the letters off the dresser and fill the void with hearts and spades.

Oh, the outside air is cold. You can see your breath for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles. Oh heading north to war. Dreams, take me back to the home I grew up in. Take me back to that little house on the hill. It was there we felt alive. We didn't care about the territory or the long story, no. Take me back, take me back to the day we met....playing cards with the girl right down the road...joking that the Jack saw too much..oh you be hearts and I'll be spades.

Dear love,

I write you with a heavy heart. With this pen I lie to you. These letters are a lie....And past the snow, past the fields, past the hills, we finaly see the enemy we so greatly feared. And in the image 900 men lining the horizon, this is where my letters end.

Ride with me. Ride with me.
Don't mistake their war-cries for lullabies.
Ride with me. Die with me.
Their fortune means our fate.
Hold the line. Hold the line.
This will be the ground with which their bodies lie.
Hold the line. Force the fight. We'll never be the same.

I leave with anything but a doubt that we've got this figured out. I'll miss you, oh I'll miss you when I go.

We're better off before we learn there's more to want.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mirko

Postby Mirko » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Dance with the Devil...not really a song tho as much as a story told through rap.

Return to “Music”