British vs. American

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam H

British vs. American

Postby Adam H » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

My opinion is that British music is better than American music, at least when you consider how many more american bands there are. Agree or disagree?

Music I like:
British: Muse, Mumford and Sons, Yes, Belle and Sebastian, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Keane, Oasis, Lostprophets, Florence and the Machines, Kasabian...
American: Manchester Orchestra, The Decemberists, Tool, Audioslave, Bright Eyes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Silversun Pickups, My Chemical Romance, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, the Killers, Badn of Horses...

But here's the clincher: Dido vs. any american pop diva.

Feel free to give your opinion based on whatever music you like, just as I did.
-Adam

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Re: British vs. American

Postby Microscopic cog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

Meh, I don't think you can say x is better than y in a case that is so subjective. That being said, most artist in my library are British/European but I guess that's just because I'm European.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

Pro-skub.
Seriously? This thread is dumb. Also, your claim that Dido clinches the deal is funny, and kind of cute.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

Dido rocks. Life for Rent was good, but No Angel is really damn good. Not a single track I'd throwaway.

Even JD agrees with me

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Both countries have large and diverse music scenes, so I don't think one can easily say British music is better than American, or vice versa...

But I do like Dido more than any other American female artist. I don't know why, somehow all my favorites are from Europe.

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Most of my favourite music is British in origin (or at least European), but then that's possibly because that's where I'm from. Also, I don't always pay attention to where a band or artist is from - I often hear a band and like them but never find out where they come from (and it's not always obvious).

I'd say that it's pretty much ridiculous to claim that any one continent or country has better music than another though, the UK does have a good and thriving music scene but then as far as I can tell so does the USA.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

Canada is America Junior? Because there are some really interesting things going on in Montreal, such as A Silver Mt Zion (and do you need another datapoint? :D)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

It's absolutely ludicrous and pretentious to say that you can't have an OPINION as to what music genre or band is "better" than another. We all have opinions. Don't tell me I can't like one sound more than another.

Maybe the topic of the thread should have been: Does geography make a difference in a band's sound? What geographical region churns out the music that you like?

I think the difference between UK and USA music is pretty big, especially mainstream music. Sadly, I can't tell when music is Canadian.
-Adam

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

I am a giant fan of Third Wave Ska. As such, I heartily disagree and will take my Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, Sublime and what have you to the paltry offerings that the Brits have.
418 I'm a teapot

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

Adam H wrote: Does geography make a difference in a band's sound?

Yes, there are such things as regional "scenes". Each major city, or region, or whatever, can have it's own distinct sound. You can have an opinion whether South Texan psych was better than San Fran psych or UK psych, or whatever. You can often hear the difference. However, if you just ask "which country has better music" this is combining *all* the genres, and how can anyone really answer that? How many people do you know listen to enough of every genre in both countries to make an opinion? It's just needlessly nationalistic.

Most of my favorite bands are british in origin. Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc. I love a lot of American bands too. I'm not sure if I have more British or American music. The thing is that all the *really* big bands from the 60s were British...Beatles, Stones, Who, Pink Floyd, and I love those the best, and those are the ones I download entire discographies of.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

at least when you consider how many more american bands there are. Agree or disagree?

I think you only say that because you're (likely) in the states. The signal to noise from imports is always going to be higher. Plus, even if the relative number of good Brit bands is higher, the absolute number of American bands that you enjoy is probably the larger of the two.

Dido vs. any american pop diva.

Madonna?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

philsov wrote:
at least when you consider how many more american bands there are. Agree or disagree?

I think you only say that because you're (likely) in the states. The signal to noise from imports is always going to be higher. Plus, even if the relative number of good Brit bands is higher, the absolute number of American bands that you enjoy is probably the larger of the two.

Dido vs. any american pop diva.

Madonna?

Madonna is British now, :D

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Oh well.

At least we still have Dolly Parton. Just one of her breasts probably has written more songs and gotten more albums sales and popularity than Madonna's pyramid-cone cans combined.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

I'd counter Dido with Sarah McLachlan (even though she's Canadian and not "American"), since when I was a kid, I thought they were the same person.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Fuck y'all, Panamanian Music is Best.

This is not going to go anywhere and completely ignores all but two nations. Fuck that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Music”