The new Red Hot Chili Peppers album....

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dumbzebra

The new Red Hot Chili Peppers album....

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

...is actually not that good.
I mean, it's still pretty good, compared to other artists. But somehow, all songs seem to be a bit uncreative and shallow, even though there are a few diamonds here and there. I have the feeling that they both wanted to get back to a more funky style AND a more melodic style, and only accomplished both halfway.
Maybe I'm just spoiled because I got into RHCP after the Stadium Arcadium Album, which practically burst of musical creativity, but it bothers me that they had like 4 years and only could come up with that quality.
Your thoughts?
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Re: The new Red Hot Chili Peppers album....

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 pm UTC

Long time fan here and I'm actually kind of happy with the album. I love their older stuff and wasn't a fan of Stadium ( not that it was awful or anything ), but I was really worried about Frusciante leaving. Dude wrote lots of the material that made the By The Way and Californiacation good and I was worried that with John gone they would just turn into crappy rock-pop band without a definite sound.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the album. It's nice to listen to and that's all I really hoped for.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:48 am UTC

I think its good; however, I much preferred their style on Stadium Arcadium and By the Way then their older funky stuff so I was worried when I heard that they were trying to go back in style to their older stuff. But its not bad, not as awesome as I was hoping for but ohh well.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

blankspaces

Postby blankspaces » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

I heard many negative reviews before I listened to the new album, so I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got around to it. There's a certain spark that's missing though, and I think it's because Frusciante left. The music just seems...enervated. That being said, I feel bad for Klinghoffer. It can't be easy following Frusciante.

Arnvidr

Postby Arnvidr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Hmm...really? I thought this new album had much more of a spark than the last two albums. Not to put down the multitude of ideas on Stadium Arcadium, but this new one is much more interesting to listen to.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Stadium Arcadium had twice as many songs as it needed. It was pretty disappointing. I have yet to listen to this new album yet, though.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Alpaco

Postby Alpaco » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:59 am UTC

I actually enjoyed Stadium Arcadium more than any of their other albums as a whole. Sure it doesn't have as many individually awesome songs as some of their older stuff, but as a whole album I think its damn good. Their new album feels like a mix of Stadium Arcadium and some of their older stuff. I'll admit I didn't like it much at first, but its growing on me. I will say however, that 'The Adventures of Raindance Maggie' is a decidely average song, and was a poor choice as an opening single (nearly put me off getting the album).

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

Listened to the album for the first time today, loved it. And it's quite odd for an album to grab me on my first listen. While it doesn't have what I'd call catchy songs that you'd go straight to, it's a fun album and it doesn't feel dragged out. I love Californication, I think it's their masterpiece and probably ranks among my top 50 albums, but my problem with it and with By the Way, is that they placed what for me were the best songs on the album at the beginning, so when you get pass the half of the album, it kinda loses power. Here, like I said before, I didn't find those catchy songs that make you like the album, but I feel that each song is good in its own right. Not great, but good, and it somehow manages to work. The album is about an hour long, but I felt time just flew by when I was listening to it. I think it's really good.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:but my problem with it and with By the Way, is that they placed what for me were the best songs on the album at the beginning, so when you get pass the half of the album, it kinda loses power.

That's um... kinda the exact opposite for me. I feel once you pass song 9, you're pretty much done with the new album and the rest is filler. On the other hand, I feel By The Way is great the whole way through, and some of my favorites are the last few.

Weertolon

Postby Weertolon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

I've been listening to Peppers since their Californication. And my opinion is that I'm With You is logical continuation of Stadium Arcadium (in terms of music). There're not many hit songs but all of them are good for me. Listen to it from time to time.
Pocellular - mobile boosters and batteries

Return to “Music”