What do you play?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mickyj300x

Re: What do you play?

Postby mickyj300x » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:06 am UTC

I play Piano, have been for 8 years, and I'm pretty good at it.
I'm teaching myself, guitar, bass guitar, and mandolin on the side.

Themata

Postby Themata » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 am UTC

I classify myself as a lazy musician.

That said, I learnt guitar for 2 years, but the first year was with a pretty bad teacher. Since then I've mainly been self taught on guitar.
I also took a year of piano lessons but never really got into it much.
I'm also self taught on drums, but I think I'm fair good at them. Been playing for about a year and I can play a solid blast beat and some nice groovy stuff, but my drumkit is currently brokenated (it's electric and it got shorted when I managed to zap myself on my brother's 100W tube amp).

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

I play some terrible acoustic guitar, seeing as I started learning last year. Most of it is self taught, but I did have a calls in school to teach some theory, but I didn't pay attention much. I also sing, and am getting vocal lessons for that. I hope I can get into some sort of functioning band.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

I play alto and bari sax, and I occasionally play around with a tenor. I also dabble around in auxiliary percussion, but most people can do that. Although, it is very fun.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Cello-tasticness right here! I've been playing this instrument for..five and a half years? It feels longer than that.

I can play a little bit of guitar. I know some chords and I can read the notes (although i do get confused between bass and treble). I once could play the recorder...do playing people count? I try to get beats down on one of my chem. partners.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

I'm a drummer. Have been for a little over a year now. It's fun to mess around with. Self taught too.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

I played both electric and acoustic guitars for some years now, and I had plenty of piano time in my youth. Never lost the basics, but I can't play that well anymore :(

causalfault

Postby causalfault » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

a brief history of sean's musical career:

i started playing viola and saxophone (alto at first, then bari) in sixth grade (11 years old). after that first year i quit viola and continued with bari sax through middle school.

when i was 14 years old (the summer before my freshman year of high school), my grandmother gave me a guitar -- specifically, her guitar, an american-made 1978 fender mustang in tobacco sunburst with a maple neck, which she had bought brand new twenty-two years prior.

i continued with saxophone (bari in concert band, tenor in marching band) all four years of high school, and started learning guitar.

since i graduated high school, i've put away my saxophone and play my guitar much more often. i'm also a singer, though one without any formal training. i sing (and occasionally play guitar) in a hard rock/alternative/grunge/powerpop/classic rock cover band (which i've mentioned before elsewhere on the fora).

also, i love parentheses.
can i be buried here among the dead,
with room to honor me here in the end?

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:09 am UTC

I rocked the clarinet when I was in middle school, but then quit once I got to high school because I didn't want to be a band nerd. Does that make me a bad person? :/
I haven't played for about 8 years and I wonder if I still could if I tried. Is playing an instrument like riding a bike? ...with your mouth? I think it would be fun to play through my good ol' Disney sheet music books again, but alas I have neither music nor instrument anymore.

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 am UTC

teamcorndog wrote:I rocked the clarinet when I was in middle school, but then quit once I got to high school because I didn't want to be a band nerd. Does that make me a bad person? :/
I haven't played for about 8 years and I wonder if I still could if I tried. Is playing an instrument like riding a bike? ...with your mouth? I think it would be fun to play through my good ol' Disney sheet music books again, but alas I have neither music nor instrument anymore.

Yes. It in fact makes you a horrible person.

--

I play various saxophone variants to a certain degree, though that's dropped off lately, and I've been attempting to teach myself the acoustic guitar, though I'm not doing very well...
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Guiro

Postby Guiro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:38 am UTC

Mainly, I sing and play guitar (a delicious combo), and I've also been learning piano, bass, and mandolin. I played some clarinet back in middle school, but about all I could do now is figure out which end to blow in.

Lebynthos

Postby Lebynthos » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:24 pm UTC

Nothing right now, used to play trumpet then baritone horn, and I dabbled with piano for a while. I'd like to learn the guitar at some point, but I'm not desperate to. It'll happen in time...
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious" -Brendan Gill

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

Well, I played trumpet in band for about a month a few years ago. I've been interested in learning drums for a while, but I don't have a drumset (my friend has one, but it's missing screws to attach the toms on to the bass drum). I also have an acoustic guitar in my room, and I've gotten a few books over the years for learning how to play it, but I've been way too lazy to dedicate any real time to it. Maybe over the summer I'll start learning it.

Justice

What instruments do you play?

Postby Justice » Wed May 06, 2009 2:19 am UTC

I searched to see if there was another thread like this and there wasn't, so here goes.
What instruments do you play?

I play guitar and used to play piano and violin.
I mostly improvise to any songs I like on the guitar. :D
...Just!ce

Spoiler:
uh oh, its a tarp!

1337geek

Re: What instruments do you play?

Postby 1337geek » Wed May 06, 2009 5:39 am UTC

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7918

I assume this will be merged soon. Don't worry, it's not your fault -- the search function really stinks.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

quartrmster007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia...but if "home is where the heart is", London. <3

Postby quartrmster007 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 am UTC

I used to play tenor sax. Played for 4 years, and I'm thinking of maybe finding one and starting again. Trying to learn guitar and piano...those are my two biggies.

Besides that, I'd love to learn drums, bagpipes, the violin family, stuff like that.

Of course, that goes without mentioning guitar-derivatives (bass, slide guitar, etc.) and piano derivatives (keyboard, synth, harpsichord, etc.))
SlightlyEvil wrote:
Heh, you just missed the forest and hit the tree head-on.

ladyluck

Postby ladyluck » Thu May 07, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Yay bassoon! I dabble, but will hopefully be finishing off my B.Mus in bassoon performance next year. I've done about 16 years of piano and in my spare time this summer will be learning accordion!

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 am UTC

I've played the piano and viola for about 16 years now. A few years back I learned to play guitar and ukulele. Though for some reason a friend tried and failed miserably at teaching me to play the drums.

I want a mandolin! I'm also trying to learn how to play the Erhu (a Chinese violin).
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

rosalinda

Re: What instruments do you play?

Postby rosalinda » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:20 am UTC

I only play guitar and other that is nothing already. I preffered to play guitar because I can do it with my friends.

Alstroemeria

Postby Alstroemeria » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

I play the piano. Had formal training for about 4 years, then stopped when Advanced Placement classes took up my high school life. I've been playing songs I found on the Internet on and off ever since.

But I really want to learn to play bass. Slap funk sounds interesting.

penguinbassist

Postby penguinbassist » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:Cello-tasticness right here! I've been playing this instrument for..five and a half years? It feels longer than that.

I can play a little bit of guitar. I know some chords and I can read the notes (although i do get confused between bass and treble). I once could play the recorder...do playing people count? I try to get beats down on one of my chem. partners.

Yay cello's!!
I play the proper bass, you know, the one at the back of orchestras that never gets any interesting bits. :wink:
But, a bit of bass guitar too. Very easy compared to the big one. {:D frets!}

(The best thing about DB is: I can accurately say "my instrument is bigger than yours", and prove it without any accusation...)

MHD

Postby MHD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:41 am UTC

I wnet to a musical school from 3rd grade to 9th. I have been in the famous Copenhagens Boys Choir, and thus I master my voice pretty well.

Also I am learning to code Super Collider (a real time audio synth language).
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:10 am UTC

I play the trumpet for my school's marching, jazz, and concert bands, and people tell me I'm really good. I have been representative of my high school in various county-level ensembles as well.

I can play some basic songs on the piano, but I'm not even at "Heart and Soul" level yet. I have the coordination to be a good percussionist if I pursue it, but drumming isn't really my thing and a keyboard can cover all of the mallet stuff. I've also got an ocarina and a cheap recorder, both of which I have some low level of skill in.

I played violin in the third grade, but I quit to play the trumpet instead. I guess I could still play the beginner-level songs they taught us, and I could easily start learning it again.

My dad owns a bass guitar that I plan to learn to play this summer, and that should be a good thing to know how to play.

And I despise the oboe. It sounds like a clarinet mixed with a flute, and the sound just irks me. No matter how well played the instrument is. (No offense to those that play the oboe, it's nothing against you. Just that awful contraption that you choose to make music with.)

Laogeodritt

Postby Laogeodritt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 am UTC

J Spade wrote:It sounds like a clarinet mixed with a flute,
I'm not sure how you came to that comparison, but I'd have to disagree. The oboe's timbre doesn't sound like either of them at all...

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:42 am UTC

I used to play the French Horn (nothing picks up chicks like being able to play classical music).

I am teaching myself the harmonica... very slowly.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

Laogeodritt wrote:
J Spade wrote:It sounds like a clarinet mixed with a flute,
I'm not sure how you came to that comparison, but I'd have to disagree. The oboe's timbre doesn't sound like either of them at all...

If you had a clarinet player play in the flute-high frequency range, and then made it "squeak" less and "buzz" more, you'd have a near oboe sound. At least, this is how I imagine it to be. Maybe the oboe player in my school's band just sucks despite the practice she's had with it.

Laogeodritt

Postby Laogeodritt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

J Spade wrote:If you had a clarinet player play in the flute-high frequency range, and then made it "squeak" less and "buzz" more, you'd have a near oboe sound. At least, this is how I imagine it to be. Maybe the oboe player in my school's band just sucks despite the practice she's had with it.

Hmm. Okay, I can sort of see the similarity, but... still not really my experience with the oboe. (Then again, I don't know any oboists - the only experience I've had with them is in music I've listened to and the sample libraries I work with when making "recordings" of my compositions.)

Haha, a friend of mine tried the oboe once on the last day of band class last year. It was very, very squeaky.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:27 am UTC

i started guitar, but quit in sixth grade to take up my mediocre tenor saxophone career. i also play a mean belly drum. i want to take up guitar again, though. it's a good instrument.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 am UTC

I think that this comic merits mention after what you said videogamesizzle
http://www.lefthandedtoons.com/57/
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

robard

Postby robard » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Ive played the trombone for 7 years now, and ive been playing bass guitar for 2 years come october.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:00 am UTC

I love when people ask this.

Guitar. Harmonica. (well!) Clarinet. Oboe. Bassoon. Harp. Piano. And I want to put in that I sing. Cause voice is totally an instrument too, ya know.
AND THE FUCKING KAZZOO.
I like music.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Guitar (6-7 years now, my primary instrument)
Baritone/Euphonium (started last year, but getting alright at it)
Trumpet (played for a few years, but since have almost entirely stopped playing)
Voice (a rather recent addition, around a year ago I realized that my voice wasn't too bad so I started learning songs to play on guitar and sing at the same time.)

Yup, that's about it. although I guess I can play bass guitar too, but not particularly well.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

intertubes

Postby intertubes » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

listed in order of how much I like to play them:

Bass guitar (what I generally play the most, although I don't play in any bands)
Bassoon (symphonic band, best. instrument. ever.)
Bari sax (just learning, but it's been pretty fun so far)
Guitar (lately, I just play the firefly theme)
Drums (in no way am I a drummer, I can only do some basic stuff)
Piano (I mess around on it so I can figure things out)
Piccolo (aren't high notes fun?)
Flute (haven't played in forever)

I wanna learn a brass instrument. I tried to learn French Horn, but I suppose that's not the greatest brass instrument to start on.
Take us to your food.

G2_00

Postby G2_00 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:54 am UTC

I am a trumpet player. My brother let me try his when I was in 3rd grade. By the time I got to 6th grade and band classes were beginning, my mind was made up. I was going to play the trumpet. Turned out it was a good choice and I am now the principle trumpet in my school's top band and planning to pursue a degree in trumpet performance. I've made All-State a few times and always made honor band (even the time my dog died the week of auditions and I could still hear her crying). Only problem is I am not the standard trumpet player. I get extraordinarily nervous and shake like crazy! Something I need to work on.

I started piano last year. I did that in preparation for the piano proficiency exams at college. Still in the "wait? How many fingers am I supposed to use?!" stage. Luckily I already had a piano that has been passed down in my family.

I will be getting a horn soon. My aunt is sending me one that she found in storage... she has been saying that since December. But it is free, so I shouldn't complain.

On top of all this, I sing. I took AP music theory my sophomore year. The chorus teacher was the teacher. End of junior year I decided to audition for chorus. He jumped out of the chair happily and said that he remembered I had a really nice voice. Think I aced that tiny audition... and I sang the pentatonics to an A about the staff before he decided to stop so... I think I am soprano.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 am UTC

Oh my gosh! I'm finally going to learn how to play a chanter and then to the bag pipes!!! My friend brought his reed and I will finally be able to try and learn. I really need to find some decent reeds on the net. Does anyone know of a credible site? I'm tired..is "credible" a word? Bah, ignore that. Sleepy music thoughts..hehe.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

PieceofPi

Postby PieceofPi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

I have played the flute for 5 years now, and the piano for 10.
I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality, counterbalancing indecipherability, transcendentalizes intercommunications' incomprehensibleness.

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Sax. all of them. well...the normalish ones...Sop Alto Tenor and Bari.
still trying to get some kinda ska band or jazz combo or sax quartet together...
marching band will have to hold me over till second semester's concert band.
i will be ATTEMPTING to learn flute this summer.
Spoiler:

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

I'm slowly self teaching myself harmonica. I'm getting there...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

I mainly play Tenor Sax (5 years-awesomely) and Bass Clarinet(2 years-pretty good, gonna try out for district band), but I also play alto sax(1 year in 4th grade, and then since february this year, when I got my own) because I have a kick-ass alto sax (my uncle's Selmer Mk VI). I will also soon be learning to play regular B-flat clarinet, after visiting my grandpa's house, and finding one of my uncles' old clarinets there, and asking if I can have it. It is an crappy condition (it had been sitting in an attic for about 36 years), and is being repaired, but according to the repair-man, it is a somewhat better student-level clarinet, and the mouthpiece my uncle had in there is a really great one. A Selmer HS** or something...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I mainly play Tenor Sax (5 years-awesomely) and Bass Clarinet(2 years-pretty good, gonna try out for district band), but I also play alto sax(1 year in 4th grade, and then since february this year, when I got my own) because I have a kick-ass alto sax (my uncle's Selmer Mk VI). I will also soon be learning to play regular B-flat clarinet, after visiting my grandpa's house, and finding one of my uncles' old clarinets there, and asking if I can have it. It is an crappy condition (it had been sitting in an attic for about 36 years), and is being repaired, but according to the repair-man, it is a somewhat better student-level clarinet, and the mouthpiece my uncle had in there is a really great one. A Selmer HS** or something...

You have a Mark VI? Damn, that's awesome. Good choice on learning clarinet though.

Return to “Music”