Story Songs!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mrguy753

Story Songs!

Postby mrguy753 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

Okay, so i was inspired by my own post in the "what are you listening to?" topic to make a new topic devoted to story songs. You know, songs that tell a little vignette (am i using that word right? I hope so). I love songs like these, cause there like juicy little musical short stories. Here's a few of my favorites:

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

It's a song about teenagers (i think) who fall in love, but one has cancer. The genders are never really specified (although he does say "blouse, i ignore that), so I personally like to think it's two boys, but that's just so I can relate. Then, as expected, the kid dies. It's beautiful and sad.

Gym Class Heroes - Faces in the Hall

It's another song about teenagers. First there's Alberto, a gay senior who get's beat up and killed at a party because he's gay. Then there's Maria, a perfect singer who get's hooked on heroin. Then another girl dies in a car crash.

wow... i didn't mean for it to be so depressing and gay.. I'm diggin through my songs to find something else... nothing right now. I'll get back to y'all later. But post your favorites!
I sing anyway.

Xaith

Postby Xaith » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

Dance with the Devil - Immortal Technique

If you haven't listened to it, please do, and pay attention to the lyrics. Honestly, I thought it was just another rap song, but the ending is amazing. I won't say anything about the story. I'll just say that you all should give it a chance.

And just for the hell of it: Albuquerque - Weird Al

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash.

Immense.

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:11 am UTC

Xaith wrote:Dance with the Devil - Immortal Technique

If you haven't listened to it, please do, and pay attention to the lyrics. Honestly, I thought it was just another rap song, but the ending is amazing. I won't say anything about the story. I'll just say that you all should give it a chance.

Oh my God. I love you for showing me this song. The story is.... amazing. The whole ending part honestly gave me shivers. SHIVERS!!! For those who think rap glorifies violence and bad things, listen to this song. It's depressing, but amazing.
I sing anyway.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:17 am UTC

Rush - Red Barchetta

The narrator lives in a future that seems like something of a dystopia. A wide variety of motor vehicles have been banned, but his uncle managed to hide a barchetta (roadster) at a former farm, far away from the city. The narrator takes it out for weekly drives but eventually gets spotted by an "alloy air car". He takes off in the opposite direction and another air car joins in chasing him. Coming up with a plan, he quickly takes a one-lane bridge and leaves the air cars stranded, as they are too wide to follow. The song finishes with him racing back to the farm to dream with his uncle at the fireside.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:55 am UTC

That is an effed up song :shock:
Seriously, wtf?
Intense does not equal good though. The artist does not know meter and that bothered me. The background music sounded like misplaced samples.

But whatever floats your boat.

I second A Boy Named Sue.
Also, I like the Decemberists, and I'd say a majority of their songs are story songs.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:02 am UTC

The Who - Sally Simpson.

(Well, most of the songs in a rock opera are story songs, but that one really struck me when I first heard it a bazillion years ago.)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:20 am UTC

My favorite is The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Followed up closely by Hurricane by Bob Dylan.
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:23 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:Followed up closely by Hurricane by Bob Dylan.

Listening to that right now.

</cosmic coincidence>

Alice's Restaurant is good.

groundride

Postby groundride » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:51 am UTC

Alice's Restaurant is good.

Phil Ochs has a number of good songs which are stories. The Ballad of John Henry Faulk, The Confession, Crucifixion, and When in Rome are the most.. on the top of my head.. at the moment.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:03 am UTC

Just about everything on Clutch's "Slow Hole To China" particularly:

Guild Of Mute Assassins
Oregon

Also, the entire "Blast Tyrant" is basically one big story... according to Neil, it's a soundtrack to a movie that plays only in his head.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:44 am UTC

Deep shit, and there are some pretty big words in there for rap. But uh, it's quite short on performance value.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Stan Rogers. All of his songs are stories; none of them are just abstract feelings or love messages. My personal favourite is 'Lies', but he has WAY a lot of really good stuff. He's folk, and I know a lot of folk is story songs, but Stan Rogers is probably my personal favourite.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:06 am UTC

Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence.

Goddamn most epic song ever. It tells a story. Unfortunately, whenever I try to follow along it becomes a major case of tl;dr. And, I think maybe the story is disjointed and jumbled and such?

Symphony X's Odyssey is a pretty epic story too. It's based on Homer's Odyssey (fancy that, truth in titling).

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

Oh, I just realized this, and I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet...

Queen -- Bohemian Rhapsody

It's a story about a man who killed another man (either accidentally, in self-defense, by avenging someone's death, or some other somewhat excusable reason) and it depicts his capture and the moments leading to his execution. Or something like that. The lyrics are rather cryptic as far as understanding what's going on is concerned.
This space intentionally left blank.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

Hotel California by The Eagles is a good story song. Tells about how things aren't always what they seem, that even the finer things in life have a dark side.

She's Leaving Home by The Beatles tells the story about a young woman who runs away from home and tries to make it on her own.

Puff The Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul, and Mary. IT IS NOT ABOUT DRUGS! Get it in your heads right now, it is NOT about drugs. It's about the loss of childhood at an early age.

Ramble On by Led Zeppelin. Why hasn't anyone mentioned this one yet? It is pretty much a summary of "Lord of the Rings."

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head by Gorillaz. Tells of a small village nestled up against a mountain invaded by strange people, who come to steal the treasures found within the mountain, which supposedly contains a monkey deity the villagers worship and fear.

American Pie by Don McClean. Tells a brief story of Rock and Roll history, from when Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper died in a plane crash, up to about when the song was written.

Take The Money and Run by Steve Miller Band. Tells the story of a young couple who rob and kill a man, and are now wanted. Sort of like Bonnie and Clyde.

Alice's Restaurant Massacree by Arlo Guthrie is the story song to listen to. Coming in at a whopping 18 minutes long, it's only played on Thanksgiving Day, since it takes place on Thanksgiving. It's a good song to listen to year-round though.

Cat's In The Cradle by Harry Chapin. Whip out the tissues for this one. Tells of a father who was too busy to spend time with his son, and in turn his son becomes too busy to spend time with him. Sound familiar?

That's all I've got for now. Others have already mentioned other songs I would have posted.
PRG

An important message for you:

Jauss

Re: Story Songs!

Postby Jauss » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

mrguy753 wrote:wow... i didn't mean for it to be so depressing and gay..

Sorry, but that phrase totally cracked me up. :)

Um...lots of Decemberists stuff. Leslie Ann Levine, Eli the Barrow Boy, On the Bus Mall, We Both Go Down Together, O Valencia!, The Tain (which I'm listening to now), etc.

Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push.
Eve - Love is Blind.
Everlast - What It's Like
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

Whoa. Someone else that knows Immortal Technique.

"You never know" is a good story-song, too.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

I'm listening to that Immortal Technique song, it makes me want to cry..

I like concept albums, if that counts. Mastodon's Leviathan for example.

There's a lot of Dream Theater songs that tell stories..
A Change of Seasons
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Octavarium
Another Day + Take Away My Pain (the former about John Petrucci's father's fight with cancer, the latter is about his death)
The Glass Prison + This Dying Soul + The Root of All Evil + Repentance (all one "song" split over four albums, about Mike Portnoy's struggle with alcoholism)

They're pretty interesting.

Cuton

Postby Cuton » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

For concept albums, The Mars Volta's first two albums are awesome. (Deloused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute)...

They are supposed to be comming out with another concept album this summer... mmm

Cuton

Xaith

Postby Xaith » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:Oh, I just realized this, and I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet...

Now there's a good classic. I never fully understood the lyrics either...

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

Xaith wrote:
sillybear25 wrote:Oh, I just realized this, and I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet...

In my opinion that's one of the main things that makes that song so awesome. (2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite movie.)

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:Queen -- Bohemian Rhapsody

I have the lyrics to that memorized, incidentally.

Because it's that good.

Xaith

Postby Xaith » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:
Xaith wrote:

In my opinion that's one of the main things that makes that song so awesome. (2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite movie.)

I agree. I find that once I fully understand the lyrics of a song, it's not as good anymore. Curse my thirst for knowledge...

ccromwell

Postby ccromwell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

The most common understanding of Bohemian Rhapsody is that it is about Freddie Mercury coming to terms with his insecurity and homosexuality in the face of ostracization from his family.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Xaith wrote:I find that once I fully understand the lyrics of a song, it's not as good anymore. Curse my thirst for knowledge...

Yeah, it was depressing for my inner romantic when I realized that Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" was about sex and a passing fling. (Romantic because my boyfriend has karaoke-serenaded it to me. He's tone deaf, but it's endearing anyway.)
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Xaith wrote:I agree. I find that once I fully understand the lyrics of a song, it's not as good anymore. Curse my thirst for knowledge...

Agreed. This is probably why I'm such a big fan of Tool's music - it's quite cryptic, and although many different people agree on the meanings, there are even more who disagree and have their own explanations. I have spent hours upon end reading alternate meetings of the Lateralus album, and it was really awesome.

ccromwell wrote:The most common understanding of Bohemian Rhapsody is that it is about Freddie Mercury coming to terms with his insecurity and homosexuality in the face of ostracization from his family.

I never liked this hypothesis. I prefer this song to be about a fictional character and something (I dunno what exactly) that he is going through. It seems so much duller and less meaningful when it's just about Freddie Mercury's personal struggle. I mean, that's interesting too but it's not something I can relate to, and I liked it better when it was more universal. Same with Three Days Grace's "Animal I Have Become" and My Chemical Romance's "The Sharpest Lives", both of which are about the writers' personal struggles with alcoholism. I liked them both a lot better before I read those explanations, because before then they were out there for me to take hold of, but when they're personally about the author it's like I don't have such a deep connection with them.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

Coheed and Cambria: (all of their albums tell a story there are a total of 4 comic books that have been released about the story, 2 are currently out of print)

The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

In Keeping the Secrets of Silent Earth 3

also one of the band member's side project (i don't care what their names are i only care about the music/story)

The Prize Fighter Inferno
: My Brother's Blood Machine

Rush: 2112(the entire piece), The Fountain of Lamenth, The Necromancer

Alan Parson's Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination, Freudiana (albums)

Eric Woolfson: More Tales of Mystery and Imagination (album)

the tales of mystery and imagination albums are songs based off of Poe's stories and poems
Last edited by Phenriz on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

ccromwell

Postby ccromwell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

Darcey, what, precisely, is stopping you from continuing to interpret those songs in whatever manner makes you happiest? You have the knowledge that the songs were about their writers' personal struggles, but there is absolutely nothing standing between you and your personal interpretations.

Music is an inherently personal thing; it is many things to many people. Freddie Mercury could have written it about his coming to terms with his sexual orientation and you could continue to think that it was about an individual character and neither interpretation would be incorrect.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

I guess I'm just selfish like that. XD I also don't like it when hot rock stars are married because I get WAY jealous. Takes away from my right to fantasize about them! Maybe I need to get better perspectives on things.

I still enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody, Animal I Have Become, and The Sharpest Lives. They're just painted a different colour in my mind now.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

Yay In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3! I need to dig out Second Stage from wherever it's hiding in my room and acquire Good Apollo someday. I read about what happens in the graphic novels that the the albums are sort of the soundtrack for and it makes the lyrics even more awesome.

I actually like knowing what songs are about for the author. That doesn't mean I can't imbue it with my own meanings too. Or say how I just recently read the lyrics for Turn Out the Light by the Music after listening to it for years and realized it's not supposed to be romantic and sexy at all. I still play it like it is though because it is to me.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Jauss wrote:Yay In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3! I need to dig out Second Stage from wherever it's hiding in my room and acquire Good Apollo someday. I read about what happens in the graphic novels that the the albums are sort of the soundtrack for and it makes the lyrics even more awesome.

agreed
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

I have another!

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

It's a relationship one, and really good too. The song. Not the relationship in the song.
I sing anyway.

groundride

Postby groundride » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:00 am UTC

Oh! I Remember Me by the Silver Jews

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:31 am UTC

I wrote a story song once. It involved llamas, spiders and kiwis and ended up tragically for all of them. It wasn't a very good song. Not like, say, the poo song or the babies exploding song. Or Canader Is Cool.

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 am UTC

What about Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds? That counts, right? I love that. Forever Autumn is just brilliant. And not any of the crappy remixes, how it actully is in the story. Brilliant.
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.

Yhatki

Postby Yhatki » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:27 am UTC

mrguy753 wrote:I have another!

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

It's a relationship one, and really good too. The song. Not the relationship in the song.

So much love for that song. It's on my Road Trip mix CD.

Many of Lemon Demon's songs, although their humorous little stories. "Bad Idea", "I've Got Some Falling to Do" and "Pumpkin Pie" come to mind.

Oh, and Bright Eye's "Light Pollution".

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:27 am UTC

Xaith wrote:If you haven't listened to it, please do, and pay attention to the lyrics. Honestly, I thought it was just another rap song, but the ending is amazing. I won't say anything about the story. I'll just say that you all should give it a chance.

HE PUT IT IN HIS OWN MOTHER'S POOPER!!!!1111
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Scigatt

Postby Scigatt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 am UTC

Pearl Jam has a heap of story songs, in addition to Jeremy:

The Mamasan Trilogy
Off He Goes
Lukin(It doesn't sound like it, but there is a story there)
Army Reserve
Unemployable
Dissident
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town(yes, that is the real name of the song)
Daughter
Sleight of Hand
Black
Soon Forget
Parting Ways
Thumbing my Way
Better Man
Why Go

!

Postby ! » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 am UTC

Matthias Replaces Judas by Showbread. I love how they bring Reese Roper in for guest vocals, even though they are already a 7 man band with 2 singers...

Chimes by Project 86 is a bit creepy, but a fantastical story song nonetheless.

Return to “Music”