Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

porcupine

Re: Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

Postby porcupine » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:52 am UTC

leinad wrote:Henry Cow, an early avant-prog band, founded/created Rock in Opposition

I don't suppose many people have heard of the RIO bands Samla Mammas Manna, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, or Etron Fou Leloublan either.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

This is probably the best place for this.
Plankton (on MySpace, so autoplay ahoy) are a Swedish band who have actually gone and done that thing that music critics bandy about when describing average new (usually Indie) bands: reinvented guitar music. Or at least, they have taken the things that work and created wonderful, boblike musical soundscapes*, with lush ear-candy production values.
First album was a kind of retro, jammish affair (tastefully structured jammage), the second album really tightened up on the composition side, without sacrificing any of their chops, and I have never heard anything remotely like the third album (seriously, check out the song Cosmic Bridge, which has more going on in it than most entire albums).
And no, it's not wanky self-indulgent guitar. There is no tapping, or "shredding" or arpeggios played so fast it's not worth the bother. There's a beautiful dynamic to their melodies which really is refreshing. Oh, and the rhythm section is tighter than innappropriate simile of your choice. Anyway, they have announced a September release for their fourth album, which, judging by the increase in album quality so far, will probably cure cancer or something. You can find a 10 minute long medley of tracks from the new one at their MySpace page. Enjoy :)

*not affiliated with Frippian meandering soundscape-soundscapes
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

HalfEvil333

Postby HalfEvil333 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 am UTC

Andioje wrote:Drist

Arterial Black - Drist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2W8aTI8nsk

That song was on Guitar Hero! You can hardly count that as being an unknown band. :shock:
Spoiler:

Loves: Photoshop, Games, Music.
Hates: Life.

ex-kgb

Postby ex-kgb » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

This thread is tl;dr but I was wondering if anyone else listens to a lot of electro? I mean like the following bands:

Metronomy
Late of the Pier
Justice
The Presets
Van She
Crystal Castles
Empire of the Sun
The Whip
Soulwax

...and such? They are all foreign bands so I haven't found anyone who has heard of them here in the states (yet), except Justice.

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Air Dubai. They're fantastic. We opened for them a few weeks ago, and I've been hooked ever since. They're ridiculously diverse, and their trumpet player is the best. Their rapping has a feel that disappeared 15 years ago. This does them more justice than their myspace recordings - and happens to be from another show we did with them a while back.

And Faces of Radio (sorry for linking to myspace, but it does a decent job of representing bands). That also happens to be a band we've played with. They should be chart-topping millionares, but they don't care enough. They're really lazy. The show we played with, their singer was just flying in, so they got pushed back in the order so that they could wait for their singer, and still stalled for him for like half an hour during the set change. When he finally ran in, he went straight to the bar and bought a beer before he ran on stage. Their music is amazing though. Listen to "Burn It Down."

Oh, and Golden Ticket.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:This is probably the best place for this.
Plankton (on MySpace, so autoplay ahoy) are a Swedish band who have actually gone and done that thing that music critics bandy about when describing average new (usually Indie) bands: reinvented guitar music. Or at least, they have taken the things that work and created wonderful, boblike musical soundscapes*, with lush ear-candy production values.
First album was a kind of retro, jammish affair (tastefully structured jammage), the second album really tightened up on the composition side, without sacrificing any of their chops, and I have never heard anything remotely like the third album (seriously, check out the song Cosmic Bridge, which has more going on in it than most entire albums).
And no, it's not wanky self-indulgent guitar. There is no tapping, or "shredding" or arpeggios played so fast it's not worth the bother. There's a beautiful dynamic to their melodies which really is refreshing. Oh, and the rhythm section is tighter than innappropriate simile of your choice. Anyway, they have announced a September release for their fourth album, which, judging by the increase in album quality so far, will probably cure cancer or something. You can find a 10 minute long medley of tracks from the new one at their MySpace page. Enjoy :)

*not affiliated with Frippian meandering soundscape-soundscapes
I thank you for bringing this wonderful band to my attention. I'll have to aquire one or more of their albums as soon as my tight budget allows it.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Patchouli. They're awesome. I used to see them at 'Concerts in the Park' every year.

Just discovered Andrew White too. Real good songwriting.

If you like rap, then K'naan is the way to go. Talks about real stuff and there's no auto tuning.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Plamo

Postby Plamo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 am UTC

I didn't read the whole thread, I'm afraid, so excuse me if I'm repeating things
Rainbow Butt Monkeys - Isn't this Tool?

Fiddler: 65dos is amazing.

A band you probably haven't heard of is "The Paper Lions"
Strawberry Man!!~
Uselessnesses... what a silly word.

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

I'm really into Winter Rose. They may have only had one album, but it sits proudly with my other music. And the song I will mention is "One Last Time" (not to be confused with Dream Theater's "One Last Time".. even though it's the same vocalist).
Firelight holds their peace
Sing farewell by smoke in the cold
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence.

TheVoiceOfMonotony

Postby TheVoiceOfMonotony » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

Host - a most decent band from Wigan/Manchester/general North-West England area
http://www.myspace.com/hostmusicuk...if you fancy checking there stuff out ^^
When God Gives You Lemons You Find A New God!

IT'S NOT EVEN HISTORICALLY ACCURATE D=

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

The Dutchess and the Duke. I recommend them to anyone who likes campfirey folk-rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_GBnk45IYY

Zentry

Postby Zentry » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

And So I Watch You From Afar - WPB, 6AM

So Relaxing :)

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, Ensiferum, and Metsatöll are very awesome bands. I'm not sure how well known they are in the US, but I don't know anyone that listens to them. Really good folk/melodic/viking(ensiferum) metal.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Ninjap00

Postby Ninjap00 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Lemon Demon is pretty obscure when you consider no-one recognizes that he made the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.
I was paid to say that.

quantum_quandary

Postby quantum_quandary » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:57 am UTC

DYRE wrote:I don't know how many people here have heard of them, but The Tiger Lillies are pretty awesome. They're a three-piece band from London from 1989 that plays a sort of dark gypsy cabaret. Their lyrics are generally very... potentially offensive, as they are about topics such as beastiality, prostitution, rape, and other such things. Actually, I can't say that I have listened to too many of their songs, but what I have listened too was fairly interesting, if only because it's so unusual.[/url]

They did a recording of some Edward Gorey poems being half-sung in falsetto, with the Kronos Quartet in the background! Weirdest CD I've ever heard. And I mean that in a good way.

uknowurright9 wrote:Zox - local band from Providence, RI that was signed to a major label and began getting national attention a few years ago but still largely unknown

A girl I knew a few years ago told me about them. "Can't Look Down" is my favourite song of theirs.

Ninjap00 wrote:Lemon Demon is pretty obscure when you consider no-one recognizes that he made the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.

Really. I thought that was pretty well-known, myself.

Anyway, I'm an eMusic kind of person, and a lot of my favourite bands are, well, decidedly obscure.

I love power-pop. If you love also power-pop, check these out. Honestly.

Fooling April (stunningly pretty piano-pop!)
Autoliner (gorgeous Beatles-esque melodies...ah, lovely)
Super Deluxe (think post-grunge Seattle power-pop...they rock!)
Three Hour Tour (crunchy guitars, awesome hooks, interesting lyrics)
The Contrast (fantastic post-Britpop band - love the melodies)
Ash Avenue (think Fastball, except more obscure)
The Eames Era (not so obscure anymore after appearing on the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack, but never mind)
The Nines (very pretty songs of all sorts...piano-y, guitar-y, etc.)
The Beat-Seekers (unbelievably catchy, especially this ridiculous song called "Lipstick Crush Delight" that I have never been able NOT to dance to)
The Adored (also catchy pop-punk, kind of subtly edgy)
Smash Palace (they just totally pwn)
We Shot the Moon (another very melodic piano-centered group)
The Stereo (mix of acoustic and electric and piano and lots of other things)
Reno Bo (irresistibly anthemic rock)
The Sails (pretty harmony!)
Novillero (nifty pseudo-ska upbeat-ness, often with French horns)
The Silver Seas (they do all sorts of fun things, including a piano song called "Imaginary Girl")
Ozma (their key-changes sound a bit odd at first, and then get totally stuck in your mind)
Oxymoronic and alliterative!

sam.rem

Postby sam.rem » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 am UTC

A getting-to-be-known-but-not-quite Canadian power-pop band is The Paper Lions:
http://www.myspace.com/paperlionsmusic

Another cool Canadian band is Marianas Trench.
http://www.marianastrench.net/
I don't read over the stuff I type on forums. It's mostly just a stream of consciousness. Sorry.

Sam and Luke
Follow me on Twitter!

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Blinke wrote:I thank you for bringing this wonderful band to my attention. I'll have to aquire one or more of their albums as soon as my tight budget allows it.

I'm just happy to spread the musical love. And holy crap you're in Sweden and you could conceivably go and see 'em! I am jealous.

Anyway, since my last post, they have added two tracks from the new album to their site, and as of minutes ago, it is now available to order! Rejoice!
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

quantum_quandary

Postby quantum_quandary » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

sam.rem wrote:A getting-to-be-known-but-not-quite Canadian power-pop band is The Paper Lions:
http://www.myspace.com/paperlionsmusic

Another cool Canadian band is Marianas Trench.
http://www.marianastrench.net/

Ooh, I like! Both, that is. Thanks!
Oxymoronic and alliterative!

captain2obvious
Location: Standing in line, waiting for the Justice League to accept my application

Postby captain2obvious » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Well I was going to say Cake, since no one I've talked to has ever heard of them, but from reading these posts they seem to be more mainstream than I'd thought. :roll:

Kaptain Crunch and the Cereal Killers are pretty solid though. I've only heard a few of their original songs, but like like em. I'll try to find a link somewhere on the tubes
Belial wrote:A misunderstanding? On the internet??!!? Say it ain't so, Superman!!!
Pseudonym wrote:Assuming we know everything is sheer arrogance, but assuming we know nothing is sheer absurdity.

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:52 am UTC

Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

Metty

Postby Metty » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Johnny Flynn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPvF5NVzx0

You love him because he's cute and makes folk music.

I'm also not thoroughly convinced everyone has heard of Kaki King enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDmth1YZI7k

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Star Fucking Hipsters-- NYC punk band with a number of influences. Co-fronted by Stza from Choking Victim/Leftover Crack and Nico de Gaillo from Casa De Chihuahua.
Exit Clov-- Funky indie band. I love them and only discovered them because they happened to be opening for a band I went to see one night. They're much better live. Yes, they're singing about government mind-control projects in this song.
World/Inferno Friendship Society-- Suppose they could be classified as "punk cabaret", their style is all over the place but very distinct
Streetlight Manifesto-- Ska band with awesomely clever lyrics
Intro5pect-- punk/electronica. It's an awesome mix.
Morning Glory-- Another NYC punk band. Their style is all their own.
Zeromancer-- Norwegian industrial band with elements of synthpop.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

cmd

Postby cmd » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 am UTC

Infected Mushroom

Israeli trance anyone? :)

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

cmd wrote:Infected Mushroom

Israeli trance anyone? :)

I've heard of them. And heard them! They're pretty awesome. I'm bad with categories of electronic music, but they're psy-trance, right?

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

they're probably one of the more popular trance groups. a friend of mine was obsessed with them in high school.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Metty

Postby Metty » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 am UTC

PT Walkley. No one I know has heard of him, and a forum search for "Walkley" turned up zero results. He is amazing, especially Audrey Macy.

Milyandel

Postby Milyandel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 am UTC

Carolus wrote:Poets of the Fall are a Finnish rock band that are pretty awesome.

Seconded.

From the Finnish indie department:
Cessna http://www.radiokhartoum.com/cessna.htm
Artisokka http://www.artisokka.net/

They're pretty well known in their particular niche, especially Cessna, but probably not elsewhere. Some of the guys play in both bands.
"Here I am once more in this Scene of Dissipation & Vice, and I begin already to find my Morals corrupted." - Jane Austen -

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:17 am UTC

The Baseballs.

German band that does modern pop music in 50's rock and roll style. It's quite brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM2177pHMT0

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

It's fitting to mention another Finnish band no one knows about: Oranssi Pazuzu
They play avant-garde, spacey black metal, with the lyrics all in Finnish. Great stuff if you're into that sort of thing.
Plus, you gotta love the cover art:
Spoiler:

Another great band that is criminally underated: Spiritual Beggars
Awesome Stoner Rock/Metal. Not too heavy most of the time, but damn they can rock.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

Kaizers Orchestra. They sing in Norwegian, which is a language I don't understand in the least, but that doesn't matter because it sounds like pure awesomeness. Their videos are pretty cool too, especially the one for Knekker Deg Til Sist.

A few fine examples:
--Knekker Deg Til Sist
--Evig Pint
--Maestro

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Heard a band on a radio station. They were called Autodrone. Their only album that I know of is available on iTunes, but I didn't see anything on youtube that wasn't a live show.

Also, there is a band who is very popular in Slovenia, by the name of Siddharta, who are awesome (I like their albums Id and Nord; if you like metal you would like the one with a song called t.h.o.r. but that album bores me). Nobody in the english-speaking world knows of them, or Myslovitz (a polish band), or DDT (a russian band), all of whom I have listened to for many many hours, and I saw DDT live during their 25th anniversary tour when I was in St. Petersburg. But they are pretty unknown in the English-speaking world, so perhaps their mention is appropriate.

Siddharta
Platina (Platinum) (fixed video to the song I know)
Plastika
B Mashina (their first song I heard) (The song's music video tells a story that I find especially interesting while intoxicated)

Myslovitz
To Nie byl Film (This isn't a movie)
Gdies (Nowhere)
Acidland

DDT
Propavshii bez Vesti (Lost without a trace)
Zvezda (Star)
Eto Vsjo (This is it) (album version)
Ne Streljaj (Don't shoot)

I didn't actually view these videos, I just picked them out from what I could see on an immediate search for them.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Falcon Arrow. Instrumental. One drummer. One bassist. Lots of awesome.

Especially recommended if you like post-rock-ish stuff. All of their songs are awesome. Septaplex is a good one to start with.

DeltaOne

Postby DeltaOne » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

Do you mean underground bands or non-mainstream bands? My favourite band (Tool) isn't really underground, but they're not mainstream. I listened to Cage the Elephant before they were at Outsidelands and am currently loving an Irish band called Paradox.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:14 am UTC

DeltaOne wrote:Do you mean underground bands or non-mainstream bands? My favourite band (Tool) isn't really underground, but they're not mainstream.
Not sure what definition of mainstream they don't fit. I hear them on the radio all the time, their last album went platinum and won a Grammy.

DeltaOne

Postby DeltaOne » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:00 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Not sure what definition of mainstream they don't fit. I hear them on the radio all the time, their last album went platinum and won a Grammy.

I've never heard them on the radio. Hmm, I guess you're lucky. My definition of mainstream is on the radio (which apparently they do fit) and selling albums on iTunes and at places like Walmart and Borders. It's different where I live, I suppose. I'm one of maybe half a dozen people in my school that has ever heard of Tool.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:21 am UTC

DeltaOne wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:Not sure what definition of mainstream they don't fit. I hear them on the radio all the time, their last album went platinum and won a Grammy.

I've never heard them on the radio. Hmm, I guess you're lucky. My definition of mainstream is on the radio (which apparently they do fit) and selling albums on iTunes and at places like Walmart and Borders. It's different where I live, I suppose. I'm one of maybe half a dozen people in my school that has ever heard of Tool.

No, they're pretty mainstream. I mean, as mainstream as an alternative-progressive rock/metal band can be these days, which is still much less widespread and known then the top hits charts and all that (subjectively speaking) crap.

They also seem to be one of those bands that attracts completely die-hard fans, who insist that they are the best band in existence (not saying you're one of them), and won't hear anything otherwise. I mean, I like them, I would put Aenima somewhere up on my top albums of all time, but I know a few people who I would call obsessed with them, and i'm told this isn't something unique to people i know.

Anyways, back on topic:

Coroner.
One of my favorite bands of all time and a total underground gem. Absolutely great thrash metal, leaning more towards experimental and technical metal in their later albums. Each album is quite different, but if your even remotely a fan of metal I urge you to check them out, post haste.

rabidchicken

Postby rabidchicken » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:19 am UTC

From the best known to the least known, i present:
Hollywood Undead : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4g3Zz45cA
Murder by death http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbDF3N046M
Kamelot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPWYpcVI1c
Gotye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbSiQZf ... re=related
From the moon (I can't even find their songs on youtube...
And the most Indie musician of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

holy shit there are a lot of bands.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Return to “Music”