Metal

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheAmazingRando

Re: Metal

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:Wolves in the Throne Room

I've heard good things about these guys - where should i start?

They only have two albums out, and a couple impossible to find demos. Both albums are very nice, but Diadem of 12 Stars is the better of the two, the first track especially - I heard it on a Southern Lord sampler disk and had to buy the album. Two Hunters is good two, but not quite as remarkable.

Keep in mind that, while they are very good, they aren't entirely unique, especially if you're familiar with Weakling.

damienthebloody wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

And two more of the greatest bands ever. Have you got the MC/Stone Wings split yet? it's very nice.

Unfortunately not, the only Mournful Congregation I have is Monad of Creation, but I'm interested in getting it, along with their split with Worship.

If you haven't already listened to them, I really suggest Asunder, if you're a fan of Esoteric and MC. Their album Works Will Come Undone was what really got me into funeral doom.

I can't believe I didn't mention Ulver in my other post, their more recent work is good but their black metal trilogy was excellent. I can't hold it against them for abandoning the genre, in those three albums they achieved near-perfection (and, yeah, Kveldssanger wasn't black metal, but it's an interlude more than anything, and still quite good).

micco

Postby micco » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

Metal music rules. Some bands I like: Sentenced, Slayer, Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, In Flames, Deicide (in small doses), Nile, DragonForce. Edit: I fogot Mokoma.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Ebeth

Postby Ebeth » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Slayer fans-i'm not a big fan of slayer, but it wasn't necessarily the style of music, it just didn't really interest me. what other good thrash/death/slayer-esque bands are there that might be better to listen to? Because there has to be something else out there that i would like. i hate half-liking a genre...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:01 am UTC

Try Nile or Mokoma. Mokoma is a finnish band, so you might not understand the lyrics, but I still highly recommend it.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

ok?

Postby ok? » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I like power metal, and those first two pantera albums and slayers first album and some other early thrash stuff exciter and such. It's such a travesty that rhapsody had to change their name, but love them, emerald sword is one my favorite all time songs. I like dragonforce, but the line up changes and the fact that they were touring with horse the band by the time I finally got to see them was disappointing but I still think sonic firestorm is pretty great, and reminded me a lot more of their demo than valley of the damned when it came out. I'm not to big on inhuman rampage.

I was pretty into black metal after I read Lords of Chaos, but besides ulver I don't really listen to much anymore, I am more a fan of it in theory than in practice.

Other than that just classic stuff like bolt thrower, celtic frost, venom and of course napalm death, since their first lp only had one original band member on it and they used to sound like dirt.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:14 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Unfortunately not, the only Mournful Congregation I have is Monad of Creation, but I'm interested in getting it, along with their split with Worship.
Make sure you get 'the dawning of mournful hymns - it covers everything they did before the Monad of Creation, and is very, very special. I talked with Damon about 18 months ago and he said back then that they had another album written, just haven't recorded it yet. I'm very excited for it, considering how amazingly beautiful MoC is.
If you haven't already listened to them, I really suggest Asunder, if you're a fan of Esoteric and MC. Their album Works Will Come Undone was what really got me into funeral doom.
Will do - sounds like my kind of thing indeed.
I can't believe I didn't mention Ulver in my other post, their more recent work is good but their black metal trilogy was excellent. I can't hold it against them for abandoning the genre, in those three albums they achieved near-perfection (and, yeah, Kveldssanger wasn't black metal, but it's an interlude more than anything, and still quite good).

The Trilogie is very, very special indeed, and i definitely think of kveldssanger as black metal, simply because of it's approach and it's place among the other two. wonderful stuff, particularly nattens madrigal, which i think is one of the most underrated straight-up black metal albums ever. As far as their stuff since then goes, i think a lot of it is actually better than the trilogie. So i'm really glad that they went off to explore new things, particularly on "a quick fix of Melancholy" and on 'shadows of the sun'.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 am UTC

I love some metal. Recently I DLed the Lamb of God discography and working on getting the Slayer one later. I need recommendations of good songs. Some examples of the types of metal songs I love:

Six by All that Remains
Disregard; Reality; Principals and Practices of Embalming by The Berzerker
Laid to Rest; Beating on Death's Door; Again We Rise; Blood of the Scribe by Lamb of God
Hades; Obscure; Saku by Dir en Grey
Raining Blood by Slayer

I have others but they're not by today's standards of metal and fit under either under rap metal, or hard rock, older rock, or punk rock. In any case I love hardcore but I'm fond of stuff that's similar to Lamb of God. I was caught of guard cause a lot of their songs are really good but very, very few stand out like Laid to Rest. I want more metal songs that stand out. So anything close to Lamb of God in that kind of style is good. Also I don't care whether it's metal from the 80's or so. I still enjoy Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pantera, and others a lot. I jsut need a loooong list of songs to download cause I want more metal. Anything extremly hardcore instrumentally is good. I like some screaming/screeching but again fit it under the Lamb of God feel of vocals, nothing beyond All That Remains.

I've also listened and enjoyed Sepeltura, Hate Breed, and some other lesser known metal bands but feel free to list anything that is something I *must* hear. Cuase i'm aimless in figuring out where to look for good metal. Anything thrashy is ok too. I try to keep an open mind, just nothing that's cheesy.

Again thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Edit: I forgot I also enjoyed Chimaira and Kataklysm. I heard them live but didn;t pick up the song names. : (.
Edit 2: And some Slipknot
Edit 3: I can't believe I misnamed that... it was labeled correclty in my player.... *ultra fail*
Last edited by Dark Ragnarok on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RedMaggit

Postby RedMaggit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Dude, it's Raining Blood. Not "Rain Of Blood". Friendly reminder.

Anyway, check out some of the early Lamb of God stuff if you like them, especially when they still went under the name "Burn the Priest". It's hard to classify their brand of metal, it's got some of the hallmarks of Hardcore, but at other times it feels like Thrash, Grind or Death Metal. It's probably as close as you can get to "Pure Metal" without turning into *shudder* Manowar.

Gojira: I dunno if they've been mentioned yet, probably have, but I'll do it again, because they're really good, very different, and "Heaviest Matter In The Universe" really is.
*Insert "Witty or obscure comment about x here" here.*

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Lamb of God remains the only concert I've ever walked out on, for the sheer amount of suck they presented.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 am UTC

RedMaggit wrote:Dude, it's Raining Blood. Not "Rain Of Blood". Friendly reminder.

Anyway, check out some of the early Lamb of God stuff if you like them, especially when they still went under the name "Burn the Priest". It's hard to classify their brand of metal, it's got some of the hallmarks of Hardcore, but at other times it feels like Thrash, Grind or Death Metal. It's probably as close as you can get to "Pure Metal" without turning into *shudder* Manowar.

Gojira: I dunno if they've been mentioned yet, probably have, but I'll do it again, because they're really good, very different, and "Heaviest Matter In The Universe" really is.

I agree with you on Lamb of God from the small bits of metal I have heard. I listened to the entirety of Sacrament and Ashes of the Wake. I skimmed through As the Palace Burns, and have yet to listen to Burn the Priest. I'll do so today. I'll start cracking on Gojira.

TheAmazingRando wrote:Lamb of God remains the only concert I've ever walked out on, for the sheer amount of suck they presented.

Eh. I don't think they're the best by any means, but they have a lot of material that sounds good to me. But it's not quite the good I'm looking for. I need it to be exceptional. They got skill but it's missing something to it i'm looking for and can't put my finger on it.

UPDATE: The Burn the Priest Album is already holding my attention a lot. It's different from Sacrament but I think its actually better. So far I love what I'm hearing. Just the first track alone got my attention. Thanks for the recomendation. Anyways on to Gojira and Slayer.
Last edited by Dark Ragnarok on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ok?

Postby ok? » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Lamb of god reminded me I read this the other day and it made me laugh.

Max Calvera wrote:I went to see LAMB OF GOD in that States and they were alright, but KILLSWITCH ENGAGE opened and it was the gayest show I've ever seen," says Max Cavalera. "I was like, I'm not part of this scene, it's fucking gay.' They were acting like they were U2 and I was like, 'Hmm….' The attitude was so ridiculous. I don't know these guys, they're on my label [Roadrunner] and all, but it was completely disappointing and gay. Like really lame, such a lame band live, everything about the whole attitude. LAMB OF GOD came out and destroyed them and I don't even like LAMB OF GOD that much, but they were so much better coming after KILLSWITCH ENGAGE. I was like, 'If that's what the scene is about, hey fuck it, it ain't got nothing to do with me

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... wsid=33806

For those of you that are fans of power metal or NWOBHM you should check out Sloughfeg and Hammers of Misfortune if you haven't.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

On it. XD. Seriously, i need a list of bands here.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

I'll double up with Ragnarok on this one, I'd love a list of good metal bands. I'm a fan of instrumental rock (see thread) so I like metal with minimally abrasive vocals.

Edit: that doesn't mean just avoiding screamo, the other side of vocals suck too AKA Coheed and Cambria...such cool guitar such terrible vocals. He sounds like a 13 year old kid.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Why did Metal die? :(

I blame The Darkness...

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Why did Metal die? :(

I blame The Darkness...

The Darkness are to blame for all the world's problems.

[srsly]Metal's hardly dead.

Power metal is absolutely thriving right now. Thriving in the sense that there're so many bands around right now. It's a shame that a lot of them are just clones, or just trying to play zomgsuperfast.

The doom scene is pretty active too, for non-traditional forms of doom.
And prog's never really flared up or died down that I know of.

If you'd like band names, I'll happily provide.

As for the other genres, I don't really pay that much attention, so I'm sure someone can address them.
[srsly over]

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Well, the thread is called "Metal"... it died...

Do you see the layers upon layers of pun there? I agree, Metal isn't dead, but it is struggling under the weight of it's own pomposity, lately.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, the thread is called "Metal"... it died...

Do you see the layers upon layers of pun there? I agree, Metal isn't dead, but it is struggling under the weight of it's own pomposity, lately.

That was really not punny. :(

Agreed with the pompousness. It makes me sad.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

They seem to all be struggling with the idea that, to be taken seriously, they have to have needlessly complex, symphonic compositions, irritatingly squealy (or growly) voices, and ridiculously fast guitarwork. Sure, it's all well and good now and then, but that's such a huge majority of the metal that's out there now that it all blends together (and complex != good ).

Gar... too much to say, words not working...

Kitation

Postby Kitation » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:05 am UTC

*hopes this is the right thread*

Anyone got any recommendations for good electronic metal? I love bands like Machinae Supremacy, Rammstein, Powerman 5000 circa Tonight the Stars Revolt/Anyone for Doomsday? and the KMFDM remix of Straight to Video by Mindless Self Indulgence. I tried some MSI stuff but it's not really "rocky" enough for me, and KMFDM's material sounds too 80s. Some of the industrial dance-y stuff is alright like Combichrist and Frontline Assembly, but I'd rather something more metal. Any suggestions?

greycat

Re:

Postby greycat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:19 am UTC

I like metal. I like a lot of metal subgenres, although it is tricky pigeonholing some bands. Some subgenres I enjoy: old thrash metal, classic heavy metal, industrial metal (not the nu-metal that gets passed off as industrial), medieval metal (such as Subway to Sally), progressive metal, avant-garde metal, symphonic metal (not Within Temptation), folk metal.

damienthebloody wrote:In other news, I just got back from seeing Alchemist, and they were absolutely fantastic. For those who don't know them, they are a psychedelic metal band from Australia, and they are wonderful. They have my vote for being the most danceable metal band ever, and come with a very high recommendation from me.

From me, they get my "favourite band to listen to with media player visualisations" award.

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Ozzy isn't even a close to good vocalist, especially not in recent years. I'll admit that his voice fit Black Sabbath's music but that was his only saving grace. I'll take Dio-Sabbath over Ozzy-Sab any day.

I always thought Ozzy sounded a bit like an infuriated chipmunk.

Kitation wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for good electronic metal? I love bands like Machinae Supremacy, Rammstein, Powerman 5000 circa Tonight the Stars Revolt/Anyone for Doomsday? and the KMFDM remix of Straight to Video by Mindless Self Indulgence. I tried some MSI stuff but it's not really "rocky" enough for me, and KMFDM's material sounds too 80s. Some of the industrial dance-y stuff is alright like Combichrist and Frontline Assembly, but I'd rather something more metal. Any suggestions?

Das Ich
Eisbrecher
Megaherz
Subway to Sally
Tanzwut
Pigface
Nine Inch Nails
OOMPH!
Samael (later albums)
Nobody ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.

Balrog Boogie

Postby Balrog Boogie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 am UTC

Nine Inch Nails is more industrial than metal, friend.

@Kitation:
You should definitely check out a band called Project Hate MCMXCIX. There's also Lard, Ministry, Psyclon Nine and [Error], those ones are more on the industrial side.

It's not a metal thread without Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Carcass, Death, everything Devin Townsend, In Flames (pre-Soundtrack To Your Escape), Vital Remains, I could go on.
Bash in my brain, and make me scream with pain,
Then kick me once again, and say we'll never part.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:29 am UTC

Balrog Boogie wrote:stuff

Diablo Swing Orchestra fan?

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

WHAT IS THIS
THAT STANDS BE-FORE ME

bwao BWAO bwaaoooooaoooaoooaooooooo
(bong bong bong)
хлэб и Воля

Balrog Boogie

Postby Balrog Boogie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:45 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
Balrog Boogie wrote:stuff

Diablo Swing Orchestra fan?

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. I like you.

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

Hey all,

I'll just go ahead and rattle off the list here, as it's been probably close to two decades of death metal for me (albeit with a rather large hiatus in between)

Old school first: Obituary (best growl evar!), Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Boltthrower, Napalm Death, Asphyx, Unleahed, Entombed, Six Feet Under, Godflesh (quasi-industrial), Rammstein, Nocturnus, and a bunch more.

Recently, Dethklok revived my love for death metal, esp. melodic, folk and viking death, so Manegarm, Ensferitum (sp?), Finntroll, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry, Bloodbath, Darkane, Gorefest, Carnage, Opeth, Anata, Moonsorrow, Eluvietie, Kamfar, Falkenbach, Asmegin, Otyg, and more as I find 'em!
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

Kitation

Postby Kitation » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:56 am UTC

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Didn't really find anything I liked though, but then I'm terrible at explaining what I like/dislike musically anyway :oops: The search continues!

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:03 am UTC

No one remembers Voivod???

g33k stinkbr3@th

Re:

Postby g33k stinkbr3@th » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

chrispy1 wrote:absolutely, totally and 100% agreement. I have certain albums that I listen to (Lamb of God, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica (up to, but not including, the Black album),

Why is everyone but me so anti- Metallica's Black Album?

Is it because it was their first REAL commercially successful album?
Can no one stop to think that it was susccessful because all that went before it made them known and this album just happened to be fractionally more "easy to listen to" than some younger stuff, therefore catching a wider audience?
Did this threaten you by making you feel less of a purist because Metallica did an accoustic that hit the radio big time and appealled to all listeners not just hairy aggressive oafs?
Did you feel that they're no longer a real band because an album made it instantly instead of being a minority following?
How DARE Metallica actualy make some money....the sellouts!!!!!!

I took the same stance over St Anger, which IMHO was utter rubbish, and sounded like Lynkin Park attempting to play Metallica or vice versa...however once played 3-4 times several tracks stood out as pretty damn good.

I listened to Metallica since the 1980's, (I am 38 now) discovering them when Ride The Lightening was released
I was instanly smiten and to this day, have seen them no less than 5 times, met them once (at BDO in Auckland NZ) and crave their music daily.

Frankly these so clalled "purists" have to realise, the Band and the fanbase both age, and styles change, (U2 is an example of this too)
I love all Metallica have to offer bar St Anger which in the end was tollerable , and if the title track wasnt in the album, would actually be good!

God forgive me, I found Load and Re-Load to be great, no shit, I mean GREAT! And that music..we all have an opinion
There is a maturity and melodic wholeness (for lack of any other expression that springs to mind) to all the music they produced after 1990 that I myself find to be fantastic
While we all miss Cliff, the show goes on, get over yourselves those who diss this fantastic band for achieving un-paralelled success in a very competitive industry
The new Bass player is great! An improvement over Jason by far. Bands evolove, members and sounds change......
Nor do I miss Dave Mustane, I heard him on the radio blasting the Matallica boys and promoting megadeath...who are where on the world stage now?

At least they do original stuff every album and dont just re-record the same stuff over and over like Iron Maiden and some other bands that are fading into memory
And yes I also love the Maiden, have the whole official discography purchased from stores, but feel really ripped off when the next album has only 2 new tracks and all the rest are just re-recordings

In closing I would like to share that my most treasured musical possession is the S&M DVD set
So amazingly fresh, original, spanning thier whole history to that date, the tracks were picked very well, played superbly by both band and orchestra, and to this day there is always at least 4-5 tracks from S&M on my IPOD at any given time
One and For whom the Bell Tolls especially move me, I get weird looks on the bus while commuting if these tracks cycle through...because they move me

There is no other Heavy Metal band on earth who have captured me or most of my fellow metal lovers the way Metallica has
They are, and always will be to me and many I know, the best heavy metal band ever, (opinion of course)

Get of thier case for post Black album recordings, they are still gods among men and the world would be a VERY sad sad place without them

Music Fan

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

I can accept that bands change their style.
For me, personally, Metallica was never that great to begin with, they had a few standout songs but it was really only ever mildly entertaining thrash metal. They changed their sound to one that I really don't care for at all. It's not about being commercially successful or not, it's about making a different kind of music.

I listen to a band because of the music they play. If they change the music they play, I can't guarantee that I'll still like them. They can do whatever they want, but that doesn't guarantee them the same fans.

Balrog Boogie

Postby Balrog Boogie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 am UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:No one remembers Voivod???

Voivod is pretty decent. :D

aquatoad wrote:Old school first: Obituary (best growl evar!), Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Boltthrower, Napalm Death, Asphyx, Unleahed, Entombed, Six Feet Under, Godflesh (quasi-industrial), Rammstein, Nocturnus, and a bunch more.

Recently, Dethklok revived my love for death metal, esp. melodic, folk and viking death, so Manegarm, Ensferitum (sp?), Finntroll, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry, Bloodbath, Darkane, Gorefest, Carnage, Opeth, Anata, Moonsorrow, Eluvietie, Kamfar, Falkenbach, Asmegin, Otyg, and more as I find 'em!

That's a fantastic list! I wouldn't call Rammstein metal though.
I would definitely add 'Mayhem' to the old school list.
I believe it's 'Ensiferum'. Also, if you are going to put that in the list, why not Norther also?

On the subject of Metallica, I side with TheAmazingRando, though personally I never listened to albums but a selection of few songs from each. (Minus) Human from the S&M album is probably my favourite.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:46 pm UTC

Maybe because he's not into them enough to know that both bands currently have the same singer? :P
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Balrog Boogie wrote:I would definitely add 'Mayhem' to the old school list.
I believe it's 'Ensiferum'. Also, if you are going to put that in the list, why not Norther also?

The list was actually just bands I've listened to/seen/followed, I probably didn't get around to listening to much Mayhem back in the day, and Norther hasn't come up in any of my sources until now ;-)
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

Jayngfet

Postby Jayngfet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 am UTC

hmm, "metal" is a kind of generic term with lots of subtypes, think slipknot versus manowar, personally I prefer power metal like dragonforce, though I do like most metal.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Ah, the list of metal bands I like has quite grown since I last posted on this thread oh so long ago. Looking at my ipod for a list, I have songs by and enjoy:
Amon Amarth, Avantasia, Ayreon, Beautiful SIn, Blind Guardian, Dream Evil, Dream Theatre, Eluveitie, Elvenking, Falconer, Helloween, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Korpiklaani, Megadeth, Metallica, Moonsorrow, Nile, Queensrÿche, Sonata Arctica, Stolen Babies, Tutha de Danann, Van Canto

So far, that is. Next on the list of 60 or so suggestions I have is Ensiferum, who I've heard good reviews of so I'll probably like them.

Anyone else here heard Van Canto? It's crazy. It's one drummer and five singers, three of them sing the guitar parts. Look them up on youtube...
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

furthur

Postby furthur » Tue May 06, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

what i'm listening to lately:

opeth
lamb of god
pantera
down
kyuss
electric wizard
goatsnake
eyehategod
tool
weedeater
orange goblin
earth

i realise that a lot of this would technically come under the heading of stoner rock, but i thought i'd leave it in there anyway. also, while i can't get along with most of the stuff arch enemy have done, 'doomsday machine' ranks up there as one of my favourites, purely for how they manage to blend brutal metal, thrash, and ball-tingling solo's for an entire album.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed May 07, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Am I the only one disappointed with how power metal seems to be infecting pretty much everything?
I mean, I like some power metal bands. Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, they've made some pretty good music. But it seems that there's a whole bunch of stuff calling itself all sorts of different things (viking metal, melodic death metal, black metal, progressive metal) that pretty much just sounds like power metal with a few tweaks (harsh vocals, slightly different song structures). It all has the soulless over-production, the sparkly keyboards swelling in the background, the ridiculously cheesy lyrics. It seems like the majority of the genre is adopting the same generic sound.

Similarly, I hate Dethklok. The show can be funny, and the music works well within the confines of the show, as a parody of the different cliches of metal. The lyrics are alright but not particularly funny, and the music is funny in the Family Guy sort of way. "Haha, yeah, that sounds sort of like what real metal bands do a lot." But on its own? It's just a bunch of boring cliches strung together. It goes nowhere and does absolutely nothing interesting. When one of the best-selling metal albums is a parody of the cliches of melodic death metal and power metal, when people can enjoy that alongside their "serious" metal albums, it says to me that the entire genre is losing originality.

I think that's why, besides black and doom metal, I've mostly transitioned into hardcore/metalcore these days.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 am UTC

Dethklok ftw!
I think it's one of the best shows on television backed up by awesome music.
Best drummer ever imo.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Dusty Chalk

Re: Re:

Postby Dusty Chalk » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 am UTC

g33k stinkbr3@th wrote:Why is everyone but me so anti- Metallica's Black Album?
Overplayed? I know I remember liking it well enough the first time I heard it, but after the Brazilianth time, it just began to show that it wasn't quite as good as anything that came before it.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Black Sabbath. Regardless of what anyone says. Sabbath was, and still is, one of the greatest metal bands to ever play. They were the first, and it pisses me off so much when people rag on Black Sabbath, then turn around and play something like Napalm Death. Without Sabbath, a lot of these bands wouldn't BE here. Guaranteed, someone, at some time, would have created metal, or something similar, but it wouldn't be the same as it is because of this band, and the rest of the early metal bands. Simply put, show some respect.

All labeling, after this point, is just for consistency within the thread here, as most of you seem to have defined genres that you like. All labels from the Wikipedia, unfortunately.

Heavy Metal
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Led Zeppelin (I've seen this categorized as both heavy metal and hard rock. make your decision on a person-to-person basis)
The Scorpions
Deep Purple
Blue Öyster Cult

Glam Metal
Cinderella
Great White (a personal favorite, among the metal bands I listen to)
Mötley Crüe (another favorite)
The Ozzy Osbourne Band (yes, when he played with Rhodes and company, they were glam metal)
Skid Row
Bon Jovi

Metalcore
As I Lay Dying

Thrash Metal
Metellica
Anthrax

Nu/Alt. Metal
Papa Roach
Disturbed

SOAD
System of a Down. Because they are wonderfully, gloriously, perfectly uncategorizable.

and some other random ones accidentally categorized under "Rock" on my iPod, that I don't feel like, or have the time to.

hurray for format theiving!
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Freyr

Postby Freyr » Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 am UTC

Blah, threads like this annoy me to no end most of the time. The concept of what is metal to most of the general public is not considered metal to the real metal underground. Surprised no flame wars have started yet.

Anyway... if anyone is looking to expand their tastes here are abunch of bands you've probably never heard of, with some that are so good they deserve second merit.

(note: started putting in links, but list grew too quickly, sorry :/)
Quo Vadis (Technical Thrash/Death metal, very fast and melodic)
Martyr (Technical Death metal)
Hellacaust (Black/Thrash)
Augury (Technical Death/Operatic)
Cephalectomy (Technical Grind/Death)
Spiral Archetect (Technical/Progessive)
Blinded by Faith (Black/Thrash)
Arcturus (Avant-Garde)
Atheist (Tech/Thrash)
Cynic (Tech/Death)
Necrophagist (Tech/Death)
Terratomb (Tech/Death)
Ensiferum (Folk)
Watchtower (Tech/Prog)
Ihsahn (Extreme Prog)
Spastic Ink (Tech/Prog)
Gordian Knot (Prog)
Borknagar (Black/Folk)
Autopsy (Death)
Dragonlord (Black/Thrash)

Yeah... I listen to all the stock stuff, but the tech/prog aspect always keeps me coming back for me. Nothing wrong with BG/IE/Hammerfall and such bands. They make great music... but I can sit and listen to a Martyr album for DAYS and still find new and exciting things hidden in the songs. CD collection is at 300 and growing... way too much metal on the mind :D

I'd really like to know what people find stimulating about KSE/Slipknot/LoG etc. I've tried many times to listen to them, only to be completely mind numbingly bored or annoyed with the song structure one or two songs into it.

Return to “Music”