Metal

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sarr
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Sarr » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

So, it's Ronnie James Dio's birthday today. I hate the fact that I only really discovered him after he passed away, because truly he was one of the greatest metal vocalists of all time. So put on your favorite Rainbow, Sabbath, or Dio album, throw up the horns and celebrate the life and works of this man. This song has been in my head since I woke up, and it's one of my favorites by him.

Rest in peace, Dio. You shall be missed.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Metal

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Ok guys, looking for some recommendations here. I'm interested in some power metal bands, but not the flowery kind (which I admit I like some of, but not looking for that at the moment). I want bands that play power metal with balls (like Persuader), maybe mixed with thrash. Something similar to earlier Iced Earth or something like the first four Evergrey albums.

Arnvidr
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Arnvidr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Does not compute. You might get a kick out of later Symphony X though, getting ballsier every album. Probably. Haven't heard the new one yet.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Metal

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Heard a couple of tracks of their latest, and it's definitely heavier than their previous material. Not what I was looking for, but I'm gonna check that album out regardless.

Arnvidr
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Arnvidr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

Yeah, hence the "does not compute". My limited knowledge of power metal contains nothing like the first 2 Iced Earth albums. I was gonna recommend you something in the vein of Nevermore, but then I noticed you actually said Evergrey, which I think is shit, and then I failed.

You might still want to check out Nevermore though, definitely ballsier vocals, although I'm not sure if they're considered power metal at all.

I STILL have no idea why I keep mistaking Nevermore and Evergrey for each other. Their names are really not similar in any way. Still, I've seen Evergrey at two different festivals, both times with the belief I was going to see Nevermore. I still have not seen Nevermore live, but I have seen a band that I don't like twice. Go me.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Metal

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Nevermore aren't power metal (but I do like them). Evergrey are complete crap nowadays, don't know if you've checked out their earlier stuff and it's just not your cup of tea, but to me, their last good album was Recreation Day and that came out in '03. Don't think I could change your opinion of them since you've seen them twice live, but I saw some footage on youtube and I still think their studio output is better.

I've checked some other bands that were recommended, like Morgana Lefay, and while they aren't bad at all, they weren't was I looking for. Oh well, at least I have some kickass bands to listen to anyway.

User avatar
Saurus33
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Saurus33 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Some things for those of you who like the slower, crunchier kind of metal. Also, they're both hyper-obscure, so if you're into that you need look no further.

Solemn They Await, a Perth-based funeral doom band. The most notable feature would probably be the vocals; I have not heard any vocals more suited to the music they accompany recently.

Walk Through Fire A sludge/black metal band from Sweden. The first two songs are good, but they don't even approach the quality of "The Dying Sun/The Dead Sun".

User avatar
freakish777
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby freakish777 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Ok guys, looking for some recommendations here. I'm interested in some power metal bands, but not the flowery kind (which I admit I like some of, but not looking for that at the moment). I want bands that play power metal with balls (like Persuader), maybe mixed with thrash. Something similar to earlier Iced Earth or something like the first four Evergrey albums.


You might like some of X-Japan's non-ballads (some of their non-ballads still have "flowery" stuff in it).

You might also like The Showdown's album Backbreaker.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Metal

Postby Midnight » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:27 am UTC

new opeth!


izzguud
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Metal

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 am UTC

Waiting for the new Dream Theater, and I never expected to utter those words but the one track I heard was much better than their last 3 or 4 albums so it seems promising.

WaterToFire
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby WaterToFire » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:22 am UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Waiting for the new Dream Theater, and I never expected to utter those words but the one track I heard was much better than their last 3 or 4 albums so it seems promising.

I preordered the album but torrented it because I was tired of waiting. My thoughts so far are not strong, but by all accounts it is something you have to listen to repeatedly to grok, so I will do just that in the next few days.

doinkisaac
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:17 am UTC

Re: Metal

Postby doinkisaac » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:53 am UTC

So, looking at my music folder, I have almost every Nightwish album, every Blind Guardian Album, Every Sonata Arctica, most of Lacuna Coil's stuff, a few Metallica albums, every Sirenia, most of Epica's stuff, all of Within Temptation's stuff, some Anathema, some A7X, some Apocalyptica, and an Elis album. That's without going to my external drive. Do I listen to metal? I say yes.
ETA: I need to increase my power metal. Time to get some Kamelot.

User avatar
novax6
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 am UTC
Location: CA

Re: Metal

Postby novax6 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Ok guys, looking for some recommendations here. I'm interested in some power metal bands, but not the flowery kind (which I admit I like some of, but not looking for that at the moment). I want bands that play power metal with balls (like Persuader), maybe mixed with thrash. Something similar to earlier Iced Earth or something like the first four Evergrey albums.


Look no further:
Kiuas

Haven't heard their newest one yet, so I can't comment on that, but their older albums are a perfect blend of power metal, thrash, folk, and several other genres thrown in for good measure. Just some awesome stuff.

User avatar
cemper93
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:35 pm UTC
Location: `pwd`

Re: Metal

Postby cemper93 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

I've found some new metal genre crossover. (Has anyone kept counting?)

The band that plays it calls itself "Periphery" and here are some tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1GiYTV2bjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9i1L0xRl4

They sound like Bullet for my Valentine and Linkin Park would have given birth to a child with a love for Progressive Metal and Nu Thrash. Wikipedia lists this as "Progressive Metal with Metalcore influences", but imo this isn't the whole thing. Try it!

User avatar
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Periphery falls under the recent subgenre called djent, inspired by Meshuggah's guitar sound. Most metal elitist hate it because they think it's whiny bullcrap for skinny kids with gauges but at the same time it has drawn in a lot of younger metal fans so it's kinda 50/50 with the hate/love.

Anyway, personally I kinda like the djenty stuff like Periphery, Tesseract or Animal as Leaders because Meshuggah made playing difficult stuff hip again after the over simplicity of the grunge / punk-pop area.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

User avatar
NieXS
Why's the rum gone?
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 am UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: Metal

Postby NieXS » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

Iced Earth has re-recorded Dante's Inferno with their new vocalist Stu Block. The new version is available for free at their website. http://www.icedearth.com/dantesinferno
she/her


User avatar
novax6
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 am UTC
Location: CA

Re: Metal

Postby novax6 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 am UTC

cemper93 wrote:They sound like Bullet for my Valentine and Linkin Park would have given birth to a child with a love for Progressive Metal and Nu Thrash. Wikipedia lists this as "Progressive Metal with Metalcore influences", but imo this isn't the whole thing. Try it!


That sounds bloodcurdling-ly awful. But then again if their like Microscopic said, and more djent that's a little better, but that's not a particular genre i've really gotten into, past Meshuggah that is, if they count?

I saw Tesseract open for Devin Townsend (which is not at all fair for them, because it's devin fuckn' townsend), but they sounded to me like Meshuggah with a much more annoying vocalist. Their vocalist didn't look, sound, or act like he belonged in that band. While the rest of the band was pretty normally dressed and just played, he danced around on stage dressed like an "extreme" version on an n'sync member, and just sounded really whiney and emotional, which didn't fit at all with the music. Maybe they're better on album though, and I heard they just dropped that singer so who knows.

In other news, Kyuss reunion(mostly) tour anyone?!! Fucking awesome

User avatar
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

haha well like I said, the hate is 50/50 really. Many people share your opinion. Not sure when you saw Tesseract but they actually changed singers while on your two weeks ago. So y'know, you might not hate the music they will put out or the music they have put out yet.

Meshuggah's actually a funny story as they're not djent themselves but just inspired the genre. They're just Meshuggah.

Also; Squeeeeeeeee Devin!

Spoiler:
Image
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Metal

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 am UTC

NieXS wrote:Iced Earth has re-recorded Dante's Inferno with their new vocalist Stu Block. The new version is available for free at their website. http://www.icedearth.com/dantesinferno


It wasn't bad, but given how lackluster their latest efforts have been, I'm just surprised they did an ok re-recording. Seems Jon wanted Stu to go on the safe side.

User avatar
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:05 am UTC
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Metal

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

So Dismember broke up, which made me want to give them a thorough listen and they kick ass. Which begs the question, what do guys prefer, US death metal or Swedish? I was always more partial to the US scene, because it gave us Death and Morbid Angel so case closed, but the Swedes weren't far behind either.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Metal

Postby Amie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:54 am UTC

novax6 wrote:Their vocalist didn't look, sound, or act like he belonged in that band. While the rest of the band was pretty normally dressed and just played, he danced around on stage dressed like an "extreme" version on an n'sync member, and just sounded really whiney and emotional, which didn't fit at all with the music.

What? Are we talking about Dan Tompkins? Because he fitted in amazingly well with the band when I saw them live. In fact, he took that whole concert forward.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Metal

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:13 am UTC

I am rather partial to symphonic metal: Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Delain, Leaves' Eyes, Theatre of Tragedy, After Forever.

I also love metalcore: In This Moment, Killswitch Engage, Straight Line Stitch, Times of Grace, All That Remains.

My newest obsession is metal played on string instruments. Apocalyptica of course is the one that people would know, but it's amazing the things you find if you search through YouTube. I will also offer these: Judgement Day, Break of Reality, Primitivity, Cello Fury. (Some of these may be considered more rock, but the cellos make up for it.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Metal

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:22 am UTC

rat4000 wrote:While we're talking about Van Canto & weird metal, their drummer has a band where there are no guitars but there's a piano instead. He's also a really good singer.


This is really great, but I have a couple of issues.
1) Do you not consider a bass a guitar? Cuz its full name is a bass guitar.
2) Every time I see a piano destroyed, I get pushed ever closer to mass homicide. This video did not help.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
freakish777
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby freakish777 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I am rather partial to symphonic metal: Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Delain, Leaves' Eyes, Theatre of Tragedy, After Forever.

I also love metalcore: In This Moment, Killswitch Engage, Straight Line Stitch, Times of Grace, All That Remains.

My newest obsession is metal played on string instruments. Apocalyptica of course is the one that people would know, but it's amazing the things you find if you search through YouTube. I will also offer these: Judgement Day, Break of Reality, Primitivity, Cello Fury. (Some of these may be considered more rock, but the cellos make up for it.


1. If you haven't already heard of them (not sure how this would be possible) check out As I Lay Dying (metalcore: http://open.spotify.com/track/3MQN7amWj1DmhpmdrIMutn ).

2. I don't think Break of Reality could ever qualify as metal. Yes, they have a cover or two of metal songs, but they're not metal. Rock maybe (they remind me, feeling wise, more of Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky than any metal band), definitely not metal. You'd probably also like 2Cellos (although they do cover songs almost exclusively of popular songs: http://open.spotify.com/track/1qlYBDwPvgKOtnMjCCDrvs ). You may also like Emilie Autumn (electric violinist, uses some industrial sounding effects pedals: http://open.spotify.com/track/43pgu0qw4U9SIemMOKDoRW ) and Rasputina (cello rock, sort of has a folk element to some of their songs: http://open.spotify.com/track/3gyaRUzBWUXh3kzstpRklJ ).

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Metal

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:44 am UTC

freakish777 wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:I am rather partial to symphonic metal: Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Delain, Leaves' Eyes, Theatre of Tragedy, After Forever.

I also love metalcore: In This Moment, Killswitch Engage, Straight Line Stitch, Times of Grace, All That Remains.

My newest obsession is metal played on string instruments. Apocalyptica of course is the one that people would know, but it's amazing the things you find if you search through YouTube. I will also offer these: Judgement Day, Break of Reality, Primitivity, Cello Fury. (Some of these may be considered more rock, but the cellos make up for it.


1. If you haven't already heard of them (not sure how this would be possible) check out As I Lay Dying (metalcore: http://open.spotify.com/track/3MQN7amWj1DmhpmdrIMutn ).

2. I don't think Break of Reality could ever qualify as metal. Yes, they have a cover or two of metal songs, but they're not metal. Rock maybe (they remind me, feeling wise, more of Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky than any metal band), definitely not metal. You'd probably also like 2Cellos (although they do cover songs almost exclusively of popular songs: http://open.spotify.com/track/1qlYBDwPvgKOtnMjCCDrvs ). You may also like Emilie Autumn (electric violinist, uses some industrial sounding effects pedals: http://open.spotify.com/track/43pgu0qw4U9SIemMOKDoRW ) and Rasputina (cello rock, sort of has a folk element to some of their songs: http://open.spotify.com/track/3gyaRUzBWUXh3kzstpRklJ ).


Yes, I have heard of and love all of those. I just didn't mention them because they absolutely do not qualify as metal. I agree with you about Break of Reality, but I say covering BYOB and Welcome Home warrants their inclusion.

Edit: also, have you heard of Tina Guo? She's best known for her cello metal version of Flight of the Bumblebee.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
rat4000
r/ratsgonewild
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby rat4000 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:1) Do you not consider a bass a guitar? Cuz its full name is a bass guitar.
Bass guitars developed from double basses (AFAIK) and guitars from... things similar to guitars, so they're not historically related; one has four very thick strings and the other has six thinner ones, so they're morphologically distinct and require different technique (assuming fingerpicking, though I think you'll have to alter something even when using a pick). Also, from what I've heard from bass players (often on these boards) you have to change your playing style as well; having played some guitar and had a chance to play around with a bass for half an hour, this seems logical: they just feel so different.

So, yeah. When I say guitars I mean guitars, electric or acoustic, and when I mean bass guitar I say bass. (And when I mean double-bass I say double-bass, because that's different from both guitars and bass guitars.)

User avatar
Bisyss
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Bisyss » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:54 am UTC

So I'll just leave this here.

... I'll show myself out, shall I?
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Metal

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:43 am UTC

Bisyss wrote:So I'll just leave this here.

... I'll show myself out, shall I?


I love you for posting that.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Metal

Postby Amie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:40 am UTC

Bisyss wrote:So I'll just leave this here.

... I'll show myself out, shall I?

Kodomo Metaru! Fo' tha wiiiin!
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
Deep_Thought
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC
Location: North of the River

Re: Metal

Postby Deep_Thought » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 am UTC

rat4000 wrote:Bass guitars developed from double basses (AFAIK) and guitars from... things similar to guitars

Meh, not quite. The first widespread bass guitars were the good ole' P-Bass, and they've only been around since the 1950s. They share as much heritage with guitars as they do the double bass.

I saw Opeth at the weekend...they're not really metal anymore :-(

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Metal

Postby Amie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

So I found this dubstep version of Meshuggah's "Bleed" and I wasn't sure if I could put it here ITT but I would very much like your reactions on it.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: Metal

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:I saw Opeth at the weekend...they're not really metal anymore :-(

I could have told you that 2 years ago when they headlined Defenders of the Faith and it's the only concert I've ever walked out on.

I bought Machine Head - Unto the Locusts yesterday, good album, but if they can ever top The Blackening.... well I don't actually think that's possible.

also talking of dubstep, what does everyone (anyone) think of Korn's new singles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfuaWu-E5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1eyCbXvjs

User avatar
Deep_Thought
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC
Location: North of the River

Re: Metal

Postby Deep_Thought » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
Deep_Thought wrote:I saw Opeth at the weekend...they're not really metal anymore :-(

I could have told you that 2 years ago when they headlined Defenders of the Faith and it's the only concert I've ever walked out on.

Hmmm, I saw them at Download 2 years ago, and then at the Royal Albert Hall and both of those gigs were Very Metal*. I really like most of the songs on Heritage, it's just not a metal album. It would probably really work live if they blended in a few heavier songs as well, but given the crowd reaction at Brixton at the weekend I'm not the only one who went expecting a metal show and left a mite disappointed after getting a light prog rock show.

The only place I know Dubstep from is Questionable Content. It would appear an entire musical movement has passed me by. Again.

*I quite want to get a tattoo like Vivian's from the Young Ones.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: Metal

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
Deep_Thought wrote:I saw Opeth at the weekend...they're not really metal anymore :-(

I could have told you that 2 years ago when they headlined Defenders of the Faith and it's the only concert I've ever walked out on.

Hmmm, I saw them at Download 2 years ago, and then at the Royal Albert Hall and both of those gigs were Very Metal*. I really like most of the songs on Heritage, it's just not a metal album. It would probably really work live if they blended in a few heavier songs as well, but given the crowd reaction at Brixton at the weekend I'm not the only one who went expecting a metal show and left a mite disappointed after getting a light prog rock show.

The only place I know Dubstep from is Questionable Content. It would appear an entire musical movement has passed me by. Again.

*I quite want to get a tattoo like Vivian's from the Young Ones.

You go to download too? Cool. I have gone way too many times, even the shit years.
Any way, it was at Brixton academy December before last that I saw them I believe, perhaps they had a new album at that time?

User avatar
Deep_Thought
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC
Location: North of the River

Re: Metal

Postby Deep_Thought » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

I've been 3 times, last time just for the day to see the Faith No More reunion gig (SO HAPPY). I feel too old for festivals these days, can't be arsed with the queues and the smell. Went to Reading a few times as well back when it was all metalled up around 2000-2002.

Watershed came out in 2008, so yes, you probably saw them on that tour. But there's no way anyone could mistake that for anything other than a metal album. Well, I suppose if you only heard the first song, or the intro to "The Lotus Eater", you might get a bit confused. Hmmm mmm mmmm, hmm-mmm mmm mmm mmmm.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Metal

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
also talking of dubstep, what does everyone (anyone) think of Korn's new singles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfuaWu-E5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1eyCbXvjs


I absolutely love Korn's New singles. It's really heavy, and they're some of the best dubstep songs I've ever heard. I've heard a few remixes on YouTube, but most of them are amateur at best. (And then there's this one.) I know a lot of people think they're going in a disloyal direction, but I think they're finding something that reinspires them and that still sounds good, so I approve.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: Metal

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 am UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:I've been 3 times, last time just for the day to see the Faith No More reunion gig (SO HAPPY). I feel too old for festivals these days, can't be arsed with the queues and the smell. Went to Reading a few times as well back when it was all metalled up around 2000-2002.

Watershed came out in 2008, so yes, you probably saw them on that tour. But there's no way anyone could mistake that for anything other than a metal album. Well, I suppose if you only heard the first song, or the intro to "The Lotus Eater", you might get a bit confused. Hmmm mmm mmmm, hmm-mmm mmm mmm mmmm.


I will admit there were other reasons for walking out (one of my friends had been kicked out for smoking, and we mostly went for the co-headliner-but-were-on-first, Arch Enemy) i didn't really know any Opeth stuff and maybe i didn't give them the chance they deserved.

anyway, I have been to 7 Downloads in a row, starting when I was 18, I'm 25 now, I was thinking of not bothering next year until I found out Metallica and Sabbath were headlining, so my hopes are high for it being a good metal year, it'll probably be my last though.

User avatar
Gravy
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Gravy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

Hey hey hey. It's always good to see other people interested in metal.

Anyone like The Human Abstract? Their new album Digital Veil is probably my album of the year. The Black Dahlia Murder put out a killer album also, so maybe it's a tie. But then again, so did BTBAM, Animals as Leaders, etc. etc. etc. I can't post url's yet, but here is the link anyway: http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Digital+Veil/5818524
You know, recognition that you're bein' a rebel and breakin' all the rules is often enough for me to let it slide. 'Cause it means you took the time to read the rules, and reading the rules should always be rewarded. Like me making it clickable somehow. Huh. I wonder how I did that? -ST
It's some damn good progressive neo-classical yada yada yada metal.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: Metal

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 am UTC

I'll have to check that out when I go to a computer with sound :D

Gravy wrote:You know, recognition that you're bein' a rebel and breakin' all the rules is often enough for me to let it slide. 'Cause it means you took the time to read the rules, and reading the rules should always be rewarded. Like me making it clickable somehow. Huh. I wonder how I did that? -ST

All the good browsers let you highlight a plain text url and go to it anyway, :lol:

This year has been pretty good for Metal in my opinion, 4 of my favourite bands have good new albums, (In Flames, Chimaira, Machine Head and Korn)

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Metal

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Gravy wrote:Hey hey hey. It's always good to see other people interested in metal.

Anyone like The Human Abstract? Their new album Digital Veil is probably my album of the year. The Black Dahlia Murder put out a killer album also, so maybe it's a tie. But then again, so did BTBAM, Animals as Leaders, etc. etc. etc. I can't post url's yet, but here is the link anyway: http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Digital+Veil/5818524
You know, recognition that you're bein' a rebel and breakin' all the rules is often enough for me to let it slide. 'Cause it means you took the time to read the rules, and reading the rules should always be rewarded. Like me making it clickable somehow. Huh. I wonder how I did that? -ST
It's some damn good progressive neo-classical yada yada yada metal.

Listened to the first song so far and the start of the second. I really liked the first one. The second one is promising, although a little less likely to be a band I can recommend to my Nightwish and HB loving friends.

EDIT: the fadeout for Digital Veil was the most appropriate fade-out ever. (Maybe a slight exaggeration).
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests