Nine Inch Nails

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Nine Inch Nails

Postby Narsil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

Man I love this guy. I ripped one album from my dad (the downward spiral) and bout a used one today (the fragile) and I love it.

Anyway, are there any other exceptional albums from the guy, or are they all pretty good? Also, is there any other band with that sort of metal/electronica sound?
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

Pretty Hate Machine is my favourite.

Other than that you pretty much have two of his best.

The new one Year Zero is pretty good as well.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

Funny thing is, I can't stand it. Never have liked NIN, and not really sure why. It is one of my only irrational music hates.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:13 am UTC

I'm a big fan. Pretty Hate Machine and the Downward Spiral are superb albums, and I love broken and fixed. Not really into his post-fragile stuff, though - I think it's tepid, insipid, uninspired and bland. Hate Year Zero. and With Teeth is flat out dull.
In short, I think he has jumped the shark.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:43 am UTC

With Teeth made me want to vomit with rage. Such a terrible album. Until you mentioned i had almost forgotten about it.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

-Charles Robert

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:36 am UTC

I love, every, single, cd.

Year Zero is amazing, I wish I could find more cds like this one. I think I prefer the newer cds as compared to the older ones...

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I'm quite fond of The Fragile and The Downward Spiral (except "Closer," that song is shit). I have Broken and Pretty Hate Machine too, but they don't do as much for me.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Oxymoronic

Postby Oxymoronic » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Oh come on, closer is a great song. Overplayed? Definitely. A little cliche? Probably. But it is a good song.

Year Zero is pretty good,
Downward Spiral still my favorite.
ROYAL RAINBOW!!

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 am UTC

Love NIN.

Listened to Still a lot. Very peaceful. Listen to Pretty Hate Machine a lot, not even remotely peaceful (my favourite is The Only Time), really like Further Down the Spiral, though that's not exactly NIN. Odd fondness for March of the Pigs.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Pretty Hate Machine is just such a classic to me.

Year Zero was a very good album, especially when compared to With Teeth. Plus the ARG leading up to it was pure brilliance.

-Charles Robert

notallama

Postby notallama » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:57 am UTC

i like nin as long as i'm not paying attention to it. if i'm actually listening to it, it sounds diluted.

digitalc

Postby digitalc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

I didn't like Year Zero as much as their earlier work, but it was an alright album. The instrumentals on The Fragile were amazinggg, Downward Spiral makes my mind happy, Broken was good too.

i don't own pretty hate machine and haven't heard any tracks from it so i can't comment.

I love NIN though. One of my favourite bands fer sure.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:10 am UTC

The Only Time - NIN - Pretty Hate Machine - Some twit lip syncing it on youtube.

Anomie

Postby Anomie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

I bought Downward Spiral today, my first NIN album. I'll listen to it later on and form some sort of opinion.
They don't sleep on the beaches anymore.

LizardKing

Postby LizardKing » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

For lazy readers, condensed version at the end.

I've got pretty much everything apart from Year Zero (which I didn't even realise was released :oops:).

Let's see, albums...

I'm not a very big fan of PHM, apart from Head like a Hole. Broken was great, the two odd bonus tracks aside. TDS was also very good, excluding the title track (which seemed to be less of a song and more of a story with background noise). I love The Fragile, not a single song I couldn't happily listen to. With Teeth was okay, but I didn't really think much of it.

Most of the various remix albums were pretty good, but very hit and miss.

Oh, and the live DVD, And All That Could Have Been, is made of pure awesome, especially the performances in the middle with the big video screens.

Favourite NIN songs: Head Like a Hole, Wish, Gave Up, Mr Self Destruct, Ruiner, A Warm Place, Somewhat Damaged, Just Like You Imagined, Underneath It All.

Condensed version: Oh me yarm NIN IS TEH AWESOME!!1!!

essinc

Postby essinc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:13 am UTC

i'm a huge nin fan - i have every album and all the halos in between (except 15 - we're in this together, but those are like $40-80 a pop on ebay). i love pretty much everything reznor has ever released.
EDIT: "Halo" meaning an official nin release - they're all numbered; you can see if you look on the side of the case, e.g. the downward spiral is halo 8 and the fragile is halo 14.

essinc

Re: Nine Inch Nails

Postby essinc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:36 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Anyway, are there any other exceptional albums from the guy, or are they all pretty good?

the albums
halo 2 - pretty hate machine - 1989, kinda dark synth rock. great album overall, with some staples of the discography (head like a hole, terrible lie). the industrial sound is definitely there, but it's developed more in later albums.
halo 5 - broken - 1992, an EP with a handful of really intense, heavy songs. about as close to "metal" as nin gets, and arguably reznor at his darkest. lots of guitar and noise, with emphasis on the noise in tracks like "happiness in slavery" - quite an earful.
halo 8 - the downward spiral - 1994, this is the one NIN got really famous for, mostly for closer and its fun lyrics and music video (look it up on youtube!). you've already heard it, so you already know it's heavy on the industrial.
halo 14 - the fragile - 1999, two-disc double set for hours of musical goodness. focus is more on the overall atmosphere and ambiance developed throughout.
halo 19 - with teeth - 2005, reznor's return to music after getting clean. a lot of former NIN fans attack this album for being more pop and mainstream, because each song stands on its own more with less of the atmosphere development. the sound definitely shifts more towards rock, but still an awesome album IMO.
halo 24 - year zero - 2007, brings NIN back in record time for an album that explores a lot of weird aural environments. this album is a political concept thing; it's set in the year 2022 and has this whole backstory that was developed via an ARG that began in the months before its release that had fans hunting all over the internet for strange sites with more clues (the whole thing is really well summarized and explained at http://www.ninwiki.com/). it goes all over the place in terms of sound, but a great album with a really interesting story if you get into it.
all the other halos are singles or remix albums, of varying interest and quality. other than that, we fans are left waiting for the next release.

taggedunion

Postby taggedunion » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:00 am UTC

Am I lame that I really like Hurt?

And what's that song -- something about "never being real" and "made you up to hurt myself".
Yo tengo un gato en mis pantelones.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:03 am UTC

taggedunion wrote:Am I lame that I really like Hurt?

And what's that song -- something about "never being real" and "made you up to hurt myself".

I was, coincidentally, listening to that son when you posted. It's alright, but not my favourite.

It's called "Only". Awesome video on youtube.

His best video is The Perfect Drug.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat May 03, 2008 12:52 am UTC

It took me 15 minutes on a slow Internet connection to find this thread!

Nine Inch Nails is out with a new single, Discipline. You can download it for free at the official website.

Of course, four instrumental/ambient albums debuted in February, with physical copies popping up in music stores in March. They're called Ghosts I-IV. You can download the first 9 tracks (Ghosts I) for free at the album's special little website: http://ghosts.nin.com/main/order_options.

The next album or EP or whatever it's supposed to be is set to debut on May 5, and the North American tour is on it's way!

Damn! Where are all the NIN fans? I've been a fan since about 2002 myself, when I first listened to The Fragile. I then delved into the older albums, like Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral and Broken. Then [With_Teeth] came out and I lost some interest (only a few songs on that album fit my taste, such as With Teeth, Only, The Hand That Feeds, Beside You In Time, and Right Where It Belongs). Year Zero was quite exciting, with the whole ARG and the premise of the album. Survivalism caught my attention immediately, and the whole album was great! Ghosts is full of emotion, and it comes with pictures! :D Discipline is so danceable, and I can't wait for the new release soon!

Any thoughts on the new material?

Edit: Hah! Just as I was typing this, a new single came out! It's called Echoplex. Click here to download it!
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Zero

Re:

Postby Zero » Sat May 03, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Funny thing is, I can't stand it. Never have liked NIN, and not really sure why. It is one of my only irrational music hates.

I think you are my musical doppelgänger.

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Sat May 03, 2008 4:24 am UTC

I love NIN, I'm seeing them in September... Hopefully.

I really enjoyed the early albums like Pretty Hate Machine and so on. I hated With Teeth, I liked Year Zero, and thought that Ghosts was awesome. I'm more into the industrial side of Nine Inch Nails, though with Ghosts was artsy, and I like artsy.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Sat May 03, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Has everyone forgotten about GHOSTS?

I think it's excellent. Reznor's gift for melancholy synth lines combined with the lack of his "Mad at my Dad" vocals makes for a perfect album.

I love loads of NIN stuff though, in all honesty. Even With Teeth, which I think has some excellent moments (Beside you in time is one). The Downward Spiral is probably his definitive release for me though; it's stood the test of time better than Pretty Hate Machine I think.

EDIT: DOH - just read Semidi's post :oops:

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat May 03, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

SirHoundalot wrote:EDIT: DOH - just read Semidi's post :oops:

You didn't read mine, either. :|
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

NINnerd

Re:

Postby NINnerd » Mon May 05, 2008 10:55 am UTC

So I guess it's no secret how I feel about NIN, eh? ;) Been a fan since '94.

I won't go into the albums and songs I like because I'd be here all night. But I will tell you that the new album, The Slip, has been out for about four hours now. Go to NIN.com and download it for free. :) I'm about to take my first listen. I've heard it's amazing. I've loved every CD since '94, so to say I'm excited is an understatement. :mrgreen:

Dibley wrote: really like Further Down the Spiral, though that's not exactly NIN.

How so? They're Trent's remixes. :?:

Dream
WINNING

Re: Re:

Postby Dream » Mon May 05, 2008 11:27 am UTC

Dibley wrote: really like Further Down the Spiral, though that's not exactly NIN.

How so? They're Trent's remixes. :?:

Aphex Twin and Coil are on there at least, and some more I can't remember right now...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Mon May 05, 2008 11:38 am UTC

Ah ok. I thought you meant it wasn't him at all. Haha.

joff

Postby joff » Mon May 05, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Well, NIN have just gone and released ANOTHER album "the slip", online, this time entirely for free. http://nin.com/

Squee!
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon May 05, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

God, that's awesome. Yeah, Year Zero is the only one I don't have in a physical format just yet (I need to get on that...), and I can't say I've really formed an opinion on it, but didn't dislike it the first listen through. I didn't really like With Teeth at first, but it grew on me. I think The Fragile is my favorite NIN album overall, with Pretty Hate Machine being my least. I also wish I knew where my copy of And All That Could Have Been special edition was. Actually, I know where it is, I just can't get at it. The acoustic recording of The Becoming is fantastic.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

Waiting for my e-mail for the download link for The Slip. I liked the two singles (although they both kind of dragged on), so I hope this is awesome.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Tue May 06, 2008 3:51 am UTC

So far I really like The Slip. Very catchy, very fun. :)

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue May 06, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

NINnerd wrote:So far I really like The Slip. Very catchy, very fun. :)

Oh definetely, very interesting the whole way through.

I like how he always sticks to the same style of music, but at the same time changes it.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

I love The Slip! Letting You is my favorite, but I really like 1,000,000 and Corona Radiata. I didn't think he'd be putting a new album out.

Presale tickets for the 2008 tour start to go on sale this week. I'm probably going to buy mine sometime next week.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Wed May 07, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Got my tickets for the Dallas AND Houston shows!! :D

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu May 08, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Woo! Seeing him at Lolla!

Should be amazing.

RedMaggit

Postby RedMaggit » Thu May 08, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

I caught onto The Slip a couple of days ago.

Demon Seed is good stuff, and the entire album gels well.

I'm a born and bred Trent fan. My first ever album was The Downward Spiral, a gift from my rather odd uncle, and one which I didn't fully appreciate for a very long time.

I find a lot of the rage directed at With Teeth bemusing. It's almost as if the fandom of one of the worlds most diverse popular artists can't see past his dark industrial roots and accept that maybe he wanted to try something new?
I've tended towards the opinion that With Teeth is about mental illness, specifically Schizophrenia or MPD, Especially when the majority of the album's heat is directed at an imaginary figure (You Know What You Are?, Every Day is Exactly the Same, Only, the list goes on).

I'm a wild conspiracy theorist when it comes to NIN.

The protagonist doesn't kill himself at the end of "The Downward Spiral".
*Insert "Witty or obscure comment about x here" here.*

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Thu May 08, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

RedMaggit wrote:The protagonist doesn't kill himself at the end of "The Downward Spiral".
Well...yeah.
Trent Reznor wrote:I would find a way
is surprisingly uplifting.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 am UTC

RedMaggit wrote:

I've tended towards the opinion that With Teeth is about mental illness, specifically Schizophrenia or MPD, Especially when the majority of the album's heat is directed at an imaginary figure (You Know What You Are?, Every Day is Exactly the Same, Only, the list goes on).

I'm a wild conspiracy theorist when it comes to NIN.

Yes, but Trent is also quoted in interviews that he can't ignore politics at a time like this, etc. So there is that to consider.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Just recently got into them after listening to Ghosts I-IV, got The Slip and I'm looking for Year Zero.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Fri May 09, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Year Zero is on iTunes (I think). Or you can just get torrents. :) I'd send it to you, but I can only send it one song at a time. :?

Return to “Music”