Postby Shizo » Fri May 09, 2008 5:22 am UTC

lol NIN circle jerk. need more hate.

dude sucks.

edit. FUCK YES PAGE 2

Dream
WINNING

Re: Nine Inch Nails

Postby Dream » Fri May 09, 2008 8:54 am UTC

Even your sig isn't a contribution. Why do you even bother?

Just for sheer pointlessness, this is the closest I've come to reporting a post.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri May 09, 2008 11:46 am UTC

(off-topic: I've reported loads of posts. mainly double-posting, though).

I used to like nin in a BIG WAY, now I'm a bit meh. I'll give the new one a go, but I'm not really that hopeful. (More into A Silver Mt. Zion right now).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri May 09, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:(off-topic: I've reported loads of posts. mainly double-posting, though).

I used to like nin in a BIG WAY, now I'm a bit meh. I'll give the new one a go, but I'm not really that hopeful. (More into A Silver Mt. Zion right now).

In that case you are a man (?) of taste. Thirteen Blues for Thirteen Moons is awesome, along with their whole back catalogue. I just watched the NIN DVD Beside You In Time, and it's surprising how well the With Teeth songs work in a live environment. They work [i[well[/i]. Ghosts is pretty kick ass, and The Slip I've only listened to once, so I can't comment yet.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Fri May 09, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

The slip combines some of his newer style with some of his older style. And the song "Lights in the Sky" is so freaking beautiful. I love it. I could just listen to it on repeat, but then I might start crying. I hope he plays it this summer.

Zug-Zug

Postby Zug-Zug » Wed May 14, 2008 9:17 am UTC

NINnerd wrote:The slip combines some of his newer style with some of his older style. And the song "Lights in the Sky" is so freaking beautiful. I love it. I could just listen to it on repeat, but then I might start crying. I hope he plays it this summer.

Discipline is just too awesome, I mean like the WAWAWIEWA awesome!

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed May 14, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Zug-Zug wrote:
NINnerd wrote:The slip combines some of his newer style with some of his older style. And the song "Lights in the Sky" is so freaking beautiful. I love it. I could just listen to it on repeat, but then I might start crying. I hope he plays it this summer.

Discipline is just too awesome, I mean like the WAWAWIEWA awesome!

2nd'd
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri May 16, 2008 4:51 am UTC

I am currently listening to all of Ghosts I-IV.

It's.... interesting, to say the least.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Fri May 16, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

two free, amazing NIN albums before its even June this year
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun May 18, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Wow, I don't even remember making this thread. Since then, I've acquired almost all of his stuff and it's all excellent. I haven't heard a bad album yet. Pretty Hate Machine sounds a bit different, but it's cool to hear his roots. As for Ghosts I-IV, it's amazing. I noticed it on The Slip, too, how he seems to be incorporating elements from dark ambient, glitch, and other experimental electronica. See here for more of what I'm talking about

I like the turn towards that side of things, but I also like how he balances these albums with ones that are closer to the metal side of things. Year Zero is amazing, as is the remix.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

I'd just like to share this hilarious image with everyone. :D

Fatal era NIN concert.jpg
AHAHAHA
Fatal era NIN concert.jpg (494.27 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

Also, the Lights in the Sky Over North Amerca 2008 tour has started and the band has been keeping a photoblog, mostly Rob Sheridan who works for the band and Mr. Reznor himself. Mr. Sheridan has also been working on the forums and beta site for the new nin.com

http://www.nin.com
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Oh no! That sucks. I was at the Houston and Dallas shows, and the only show that had any light problems were Dallas. One panel of the lights was out. But not too bad. :)

Awesome shows!!!

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:I'd just like to share this hilarious image with everyone. :D

Fatal era NIN concert.jpg

Also, the Lights in the Sky Over North Amerca 2008 tour has started and the band has been keeping a photoblog, mostly Rob Sheridan who works for the band and Mr. Reznor himself. Mr. Sheridan has also been working on the forums and beta site for the new nin.com

http://www.nin.com

Ha! Excellent, thanks for that.

I saw them last year on the Year Zero tour, great line-up, great gig.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

I've been into nin since summer 06. I got into them through the "unofficial" best of triple album, and sorted into albums soon after.

I absolutely love Ghosts. Best nin album, followed by fragile and downward spiral and broken. slip, year zero and with teeth are ok. pretty hate machine sucks.

lot of emotional links to those albums :(

Saw him live in 07. Dissapointed since I was expecting a show similar to 94.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Me an Alessandro Cortini share a favourite television show.

Anyone want to take a guess?

Here's a hint and what Ally said:
"HAND BANANA!!"
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:Me an Alessandro Cortini share a favourite television show.

Anyone want to take a guess?

Here's a hint and what Ally said:
"HAND BANANA!!"

Tonight. You.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Hell, that BSOD image is just brilliant. Unfortunate, but brilliant; besides, they can claim to have used BSOD's as an artistic statement - Venetian Snares has done the same thing on the Szamár madár video.

Also, I'm downloading The Slip on the super better-than-CD 96KHz 24-bit FLAC version... only to find out Amarok doesn't play it. Is there any Linux program that plays it, or will I have to burn it as DVD-Audio, or just get the regular quality version?

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Also, I'm downloading The Slip on the super better-than-CD 96KHz 24-bit FLAC version... only to find out Amarok doesn't play it. Is there any Linux program that plays it, or will I have to burn it as DVD-Audio, or just get the regular quality version?

I don't think there's much of a point using that version for anything else than remixing. You won't hear any difference at all between that one and the regular 44.1KHz/16-bit version.

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Sucks about the BSOD, though if it was during
Spoiler:
"The Great Destroyer"
they could probably pass it off as being planned, as long as it got fixed by the end of the song.
Saw them in Pemberton Bc, bought the tour shirt (The good one, with [NIN] on the front and Pemberton rather than Vancouver on the back, and it was an amazing live show, even without Hurt.
Probably my favorite band ever, especially the TDS era music, though The Slip is really up there as a great NIN album. (Woot rambling post)
Spoiler:
Also, I think that the stage effects for "Only" were amazing, with the transparency and lighting so that you could only see Trent on stage for most of it.

All info relating to the Live show is Spoilered in case anyone hasn't been and wants a bit of suspense around the stageset and such.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Honestly, I don't think it was meant to happen (the error message on the light panel). I saw the Houston and Dallas shows. Houston - perfect lights. Dallas - they had this one small piece on the light panel that wasn't working right.

Even if it were during that song that you mentioned in your spoiler, I don't think it was intentional. He would've chosen a message from the "Department of Morality" or something like that (from his ARG), not a standard Windows message. Just IMO.

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Yeah, but it would be less damaging to the show than if it happened during, say... closer.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

True enough. :) Haha.

Durin

Postby Durin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

I have a couple of friends who saw them when they came to Houston. I hadn't really heard any of their stuff at that point. This thread inspired me into downloading The Slip and I'm now regretting not getting into them earlier and seeing the concert.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

I still have Pretty Hate Machine on cassette; I've liked NIN for quite a while. However, I can't help but feel that he's lost his touch. PHM and The Downward Spiral are both exquisite albums, and none of his releases since then have even approached their beauty or craftsmanship. Ghosts was nice, but it was quite a departure from his norm. Year Zero is detestable, and The Slip is decent, at best.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:I still have Pretty Hate Machine on cassette; I've liked NIN for quite a while. However, I can't help but feel that he's lost his touch. PHM and The Downward Spiral are both exquisite albums, and none of his releases since then have even approached their beauty or craftsmanship. Ghosts was nice, but it was quite a departure from his norm. Year Zero is detestable, and The Slip is decent, at best.

I've been kinda enjoying the direction he's taking with it all. But then, I moved to hearing them first when I was already listening to stuff like KMFDM and Ministry. I think the Fragile is probably one of his best albums, and I think Further Down the Spiral was better than TDS... it's all just personal taste though. Year Zero was fun, but I had finished listening to it before I was done with With Teeth.. :? and wouldn't go back to it often.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:I've been kinda enjoying the direction he's taking with it all. But then, I moved to hearing them first when I was already listening to stuff like KMFDM and Ministry. I think the Fragile is probably one of his best albums, and I think Further Down the Spiral was better than TDS... it's all just personal taste though. Year Zero was fun, but I had finished listening to it before I was done with With Teeth.. :? and wouldn't go back to it often.

I see. Because of the age I first heard NIN, it was my introduction into industrial of any sort. I never looked much into the genre, however, aside from a few Ministry and Skinny Puppy albums. Too Dark Park is still nice to listen to, though.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:
KingLoser wrote:I've been kinda enjoying the direction he's taking with it all. But then, I moved to hearing them first when I was already listening to stuff like KMFDM and Ministry. I think the Fragile is probably one of his best albums, and I think Further Down the Spiral was better than TDS... it's all just personal taste though. Year Zero was fun, but I had finished listening to it before I was done with With Teeth.. :? and wouldn't go back to it often.

I see. Because of the age I first heard NIN, it was my introduction into industrial of any sort. I never looked much into the genre, however, aside from a few Ministry and Skinny Puppy albums. Too Dark Park is still nice to listen to, though.

Yeah, still one of my favourites, along with Rabies. I'd actually reccomend KMFDM based on the industrial you already like.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:49 am UTC

The new NIN.com has launched! There's a forum and chat. And it's sync'd with the remix site so if you already have an account there you just need to sign in.

http://www.nin.com/

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I just returned home from one of their lives shows.

My ears are ringing, my hip hurts, my knees hurt, my ribs hurt, and I'm incredibly tired. The experience: Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

I don't think I've ever screamed out "Fist fuck" along with hundreds of accompanying people.

If you get a chance to see them in concert, do so.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

benbw

Postby benbw » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:17 am UTC

Semidi wrote:If you get a chance to see them in concert, do so.

Seconded, especially with the awesome visuals.

Only bad part was the fact that I had a crazy headache and ears ringing. But that wasn't until afterward.

al_ngl

Postby al_ngl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Awesome band, I kind of liked NIN for a long time, just recently got into their music and discovered lots of good music. I have The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition, The Slip, and With Teeth. There are a few lame songs, but the rest are awesome.

Warpath

Re:

Postby Warpath » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:I'm a big fan. Pretty Hate Machine and the Downward Spiral are superb albums, and I love broken and fixed. Not really into his post-fragile stuff, though - I think it's tepid, insipid, uninspired and bland. Hate Year Zero. and With Teeth is flat out dull.
In short, I think he has jumped the shark.
He has certainly NOT jumped the shark. No sir. Open your mind.

To the OP: Broken/Fixed were pretty good as well. Broken came out in 1992, I believe.

newtfreak

Postby newtfreak » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Warpath wrote:
damienthebloody wrote:I'm a big fan. Pretty Hate Machine and the Downward Spiral are superb albums, and I love broken and fixed. Not really into his post-fragile stuff, though - I think it's tepid, insipid, uninspired and bland. Hate Year Zero. and With Teeth is flat out dull.
He has certainly NOT jumped the shark. No sir. Open your mind.

To the OP: Broken/Fixed were pretty good as well. Broken came out in 1992, I believe.

Even well passed that, some of the new material is delicious live and some only live. Some of his stuff may be average but id never say flat out dull.

benbw

Re:

Postby benbw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 am UTC

i'm going to jump on the bandwagon and firmly (but not completely) disagree. Pretty Hate Machine really isn't that great in my opinion, and while TDS and Fragile are amazing, you have to appreciate the evolution of it. With Teeth was below average, with a few exceptions, but Year Zero is one of my favorites, especially when you include the whole experience the ARG added to it. Ghosts is excellent ambient music, and The Slip was not bad.

scottness

Postby scottness » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Nine Inch Nails is unleashing 405 Gigs of unedited HD footage from three of their shows. From what I've heard, they've included audio from the cameras and not from the mixing booth. I'll have to see how fans are editing this into digestible tidbits.
60% of the time, it works 100% of the time.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Given the metric ass-load of stuff we fans got last year, I know I've no right to be asking, but I wonder if NIN's gonna release any new stuff this year. I would pay dearly for another album in the style of Ghosts I-IV.

Wait, an idea. Is there any place where one can grab a torrent of high-rated remixes from the site? I'm off to search now.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

I've been a fan since the '90s. I pretty much like everything Reznor's done over the years.

I would love to see another Ghosts album. mmmmm good stuff.

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:21 am UTC

NIN/JA tour discussion?
Anyone going? I'm pretty sad they're not coming anywhere near me, I'd love to go to it.Also, any speculations on how long the break'll be?

SpazzyMcGee

Postby SpazzyMcGee » Tue May 05, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Trent Reznor could literally shit on a piece of plastic and I would buy it.

My history with NIN:
  • First heard Closer on the radio, loved it.
  • Not knowing the name of the song I bought 'With Teeth'. I was still a music noob back then, but I loved the electronica and the lyrics.
  • Bought 'Downward Spiral'. I loved it, but I listened to it way too much and lost interest in it for years.
  • Debated buying 'The Fragile', but I wasn't sure. I heard good things but I heard it didn't have good singles and without a job a two disk album was a lot of money.
  • Saw the Survivalism video online. Blown away. Bought 'Year Zero'. Friggin' awesome.
  • Bought 'The Frabile'. Best album(s) of 'em all IMO. Somewhat Damaged and Into the Void... I still never get sick of them.
  • Bought the "Ghosts" album. Listened to it a bit too much while on vacation over the Summer, but I grew out of that and now it is nice background music.
  • Downloaded 'The Slip'. Determination is my favorite NIN song. I must have listened to that song 750 times and yet it hasn't aged a day.
  • I listen to pretty much everything they have sporadically now. The only album I neglect these days is 'With Teeth' which I think is their weakest album. I have also downloaded a tonne of remixes off the NIN podcast.

Justice

Re:

Postby Justice » Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

taggedunion wrote:Am I lame that I really like Hurt?

And what's that song -- something about "never being real" and "made you up to hurt myself".

You'll love this.

With Teeth is my favorite album, unlike the most of the people here? :(
...Just!ce

Spoiler:
uh oh, its a tarp!

Return to “Music”