Interesting Covers

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stief

Interesting Covers

Postby Stief » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Have any of you heard any good covers of songs, or bad ones at that? :D

I'm currently listening to Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name being covered by Cradle Of Filth....Quite a good cover IMO

I've also heard Cry Me A River covered by a band named 10 Masked Men...surprising to say the least...Cry Me A River done by a death metal band :shock:

Frou Frou's cover of I Need A Hero is quite interesting :P

can't think of any more at the moment...
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

LSK

Postby LSK » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 am UTC

Devo, Satisfaction
Devo, Are You Experienced?
Devo, Morning Dew
Devo, Head Like a Hole

Um... yeah.

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease.

notallama

Postby notallama » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:49 am UTC

mindless self indulgence – bring the pain
mindless self indulgence – big poppa
mindless self indulgence – tom sawyer
kmfdm – these boots are made for walkin'

feist has a bunch of them on "let it die".

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Ted Leo - Since U Been Gone
Flaming Lips - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Cat Power - I Found A Reason
Seu Jorge - Life On Mars
Take your play seriously

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Joan Baez's cover of the Beatles "let it be". Be-a-utiful.
I sing anyway.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Patti Smith - Gloria

It takes a few liberties with the original, but I think thats acceptable in the name of creating something this fantastic.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:45 am UTC

The Cardigans' cover of "Iron Man". It's a pretty interesting rendition. It sounds wistful and melancholy and very much unlike Black Sabbath.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

Muse--Feelin' Good.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

The Eels covering Get Ur Freak On by Missy Elliot.

Mindboggling awesome.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure this is a cover...

5ive's cover of we Will Rock You.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Music Review: Wierd Cover Songs

In recent years, the Cover Song has become sort of it's own genre of music. Bands such as Me First and the Gimme Gimmes or individuals such as Richard Cheese have made careers (or just side-jobs) as cover artists. Richard Cheese does piano lounge covers of rock, metal, and rap songs, such as Nine Inch Nails "Closer" and Kelis' "Milkshake", as well as the brilliantly placed "Down With The Sickness" by Disturbed, which made perhaps the most surreal horror scene in recent years in the new Dawn of the Dead movie. Me First is actually composed of famous punk singers from OTHER bands, who just do whatever song strikes their fancy, from Simon & Garfunkel, to the Gilligans Island Theme Song, to Van Morrison. They've developed a minor cult following, and soon will have to start touring just to keep the fans happy.

Others, though, just do the odd cover song and throw it in with their own original material. Few are as well known as Johnny Cash's recent three: Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt", Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage", and U2's "One". All three can be considered superior to the originals (although maybe a tie with "Hurt). I'd like to take some time to shine a light on some lesser-known cover classics.

Ben Folds Five - Bitches Ain't Shit ... A cover of the Dr. Dre / NWA song about dating hookers, the piano-lead college-rockers lend a deeply disturbing tone to this song. With his soulful voice and lilting keys, Ben Folds doesn't make the crude lyrics sound the slightest bit forced (which is understandable, given that he swears profusely throughout his normal popular up-beat rock songs). Rap covers are becoming more common these days.

Deftones - No Ordinary Love ... One of the greatest progenitors of the Nu-Metal movement, the California-based Deftones were an obvious choise for a hip-hop song. Lead singer Chino Mareno's raspy, throaty, almost falsetto voice was meant for poetry, as three critically-acclaimed albums will attest to, but when you take away the thundering guitars, driving bass, and brilliant drumming, you're still left with a butt-load of talent. This cover of the romantic urban ballad by Sade fits absolutely perfectly with Chino's style of nervous anger and repressed emotion. Which makes the next review even stranger.

Deftones - Simple Man
... That's right, the Lynyrd Skynyrd southern rock hit, as covered by California's own alt-metal gods. They abandon their own crashing guitars, though, in favor of a more subdued and more faithful guitar rendition of the classic song, and Chino's voice hits heights of smoothness and soul rarely seen in his own music. If not better than the original, it has been perfectly adapted to the current generation, and the message of life-long happiness is not lost in the translation.

Big Sugar - Let It Ride
... A Canadian blues-rock cover of a Canadian rock song? More interesting than it sounds! Gordie Johnson's guitar commands a whole lot more attention than any of the instrumentation of the original song, but it never drowns out the lyrics, and the marching-beat riffs seem to make you want to hop in a car and let it ride, too. A perfect choice for the hard-rocking funky-blues white-boy guitar god from the praries.

Metallica - Turn The Page ... Perhaps the greatest Metallica song in recent years, this heavy-metal take of the soulful Bob Seger classic of the loneliness of the road seems to take the whole world away (if you have enough power in your sub-woofer... this song has BASS!) Hetfield's voice gets its first decent workout in years, and they remembered what song gave them their first taste of ultra-fame... the quiet, restrained, angry and lonely metal guitar and the huge, almost operatic sound of the entire band working together. God, I love this song.

Foo Fighters - Baker Street ... Well-distorted through old-style tube-amps, this song is not changed too too much from the original. It's louder, it's heavier, but for a relatively simple cover, the Foos make it sound like their own. There's not much I can say to this, other than I appreciate it when a band takes the time to cover a song that they can pull off... which brings us to perhaps my favorite.

Mayfield Four - Inner City Blues ... There's not many rock bands with the balls to cover Marvin Gaye, let alone one of Marvin's lesser known works, let alone have the vocal talent to pull the whole thing off. The voice sounds errily identical to that 70's soul legend, but the lap-steel and rock bass give the song a more angry, less despairing feel. It gives you a sense of hope, rather than a sense of failed familiarity, and thats something a great cover should do: be the same song, with the same words, and the same music, and yet come accross so different, because the band has made it it's own.

Also also wik:

Flyleaf - Something I Can Never Have
Soundgarden - Come Together
Pantera - Cat Scratch Fever
Deftones - Jealous Guy
Deftones - El Scorcho
Offspring - I Wanna Be Sedated
Offspring - Sin City
Motorhead - Blue Suede Shoes
ACDC - Johnny B Goode
Motorhead - Long Way To The TOp
Drowning Pool - Creeping Death
Devo - Head Like A Hole

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

Apocalyptica covers of Metallica songs. Awesome.
For those who don't know, that's 4 cellists.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Apocalyptica rock ^_^
I really like their Metallica cover, and the cover of Rammstein's Seemann they did with Nina Hagen was great as well :D

I also enjoy Children Of Bodom's cover of Britney's 'Oops I Did It Again' :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:49 am UTC

Judas Priest's cover of "Diamonds and Rust" is pretty much the king of cover songs in my mind.
They took sad acoustic folky music and made it rockin'.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Gofyr

Postby Gofyr » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:53 am UTC

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver
Atreyu - You Give Love A Bad Name
(both of these were featured on the Kerrang! High Voltage CD)

London Philharmonic's version of Stairway To Heaven is awesome

LizardKing

Postby LizardKing » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

The Berzerker's cover of Carcass' "Corporal JigSaw Quandry" is brilliant (if you like that kind of thing). Even faster and more brutal than the original, and the bass is excellent for annoying neighbours ^.^

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

Covers by Johnny Cash, all of them superior to the originals:
Father And Son (With Fiona Apple) -Cat Stevens
Mercy Seat - Nick Cave
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails
You'll Never Walk Alone - Gerry And The Pacemakers

Tori Amos, she manages to completely change each song:
Time - Tom Waits
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Bonnie And Clyde - Eminem
Real Mean - Depeche Mode
A Case Of You - Joni Mitchell
Raining Blood - Slayer
I Don't Like Mondays - BoomTown Rats

Other notable mentions:
Tom Waits - Waltzing Matilda
Ted Leo - Since U Been Gone
Ben Folds - Bitches Ain't Shit

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

Aereogramme - Thriller.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

I have a cover of I Am the Walrus done by Boris and Merzbow. Boris is a doom metal/ambient/drone band and Merzbow is noise. It's fucking awesome.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

Vienna Teng - 绿岛小夜曲 (Green Island Serenade)

Mmmmmph, the pretty.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

Final Fantasy's cover of "Paris 1919". Originally by John Cale.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Mairead

Postby Mairead » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Final Fantasy's cover of "Paris 1919". Originally by John Cale.

I was just about to say that...
His cover of Mariah Carey's Fantasy is pretty neat too.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

First, I have to agree with everything Jesster and notallama said about Tori Amos, MSI, and Tom Waits.

Second, the following covers also rock hard:

Blind Guardian - "Mr Sandman": There is nothing like listening to an absurd fantasy metal band covering a silly 50s song. And taking it just seriously enough to make it funny as hell.

Bella Morte - "My Heart Will Go On": Did you see Titanic, and think that the themesong didn't have enough Goth? I think we have the solution. "I'm fucking flying!"

Bella Morte - "Earth Angel": See my notes for the blind guardian cover above, and repeat but with a goth band. "Guys, grab a girl. Girls, grab a guy. Guys, grab a puppy."

A Perfect Circle - "Diary of a Madman/Lovesong": Possibly one of the most interesting covers I've ever heard. APC took two songs, "Diary of a Madman" by Ozzy Osbourne, and "Lovesong" by the Cure, and basically just combined their lyrics and tune into a pretty seamless fusion-song. Both sets of lyrics take on a different meaning when combined, and it essentially makes an entirely new song which is tasty and awesome.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

Personal Jesus by Marylin Manson is good. Easily as good as the original, and of a different style which is nice.

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Johnny Cash
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

Time - Tom Waits
Real Mean - Depeche Mode
Raining Blood - Slayer

Yes.
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

Moxy Fruvous covering Green Eggs and Ham by Theodore Suess Geisel

It doesn't seem to be on youtube (which means it hardly even *exists*) but The Internet Archive looks like it has a live version here.

Those wacky Canadians...

Edit: That isn't actually a very good copy. I hadn't listened to it when I posted it, and it turns out that the middle is a long bit of stage banter that might have been pretty funny if you were there, but isn't all that interesting otherwise. And the song itself isn't played as well as I've heard them do it. Sorry.
Last edited by OmenPigeon on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.

~ George Orwell

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

Blatm wrote:Personal Jesus by Marylin Manson is good. Easily as good as the original, and of a different style which is nice.

I really like his version ^_^

PS_Mouse wrote:
Jesster wrote:
Johnny Cash
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

Time - Tom Waits
Real Mean - Depeche Mode
Raining Blood - Slayer

Yes.

I completely agree ^_^

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:31 pm UTC

For the sake of space, I'm just going to say that Stief's entire post is right on the money.

Also, Cibo Matto's cover of Sammy Davis Jr.'s "The Candyman" is light-years better than the original.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

Cibo Matto's "Black Hole Sun" and "Light My Fire" were also tasty.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

Check out all the gregorian masters of chants covers. They're pretty awesome, and have some pretty cool instrumental bits too. Only complaint is they'll sometimes drag songs on for minutes after they shouldve finished... :(

Edit: also check out andrew hansen's cover of rancid amputation (Search chaser rancid amputation, that should get it.) and any covers by richard cheese after you see that.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

I quite like the We Are Scientists cover of "Hoppípolla" (normally by Sigur Ros) from Crap Attack; it's similar to the original, but a tad more poignant. The We Are Scientists/Editors collaboration of "Orange Crush" (originally R.E.M.) is also very good; the manic WAS and depressive Editors make a good combination (there's been no release of it, but there's loads of YouTube videos from festivals of it).

noouch

Postby noouch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

There's a German band called Knorkator (self-proclaimed most horrible band in all of Germany) who do some... um... interesting covers:

Aaliyah - Try Again
Boney M. - Ma Baker
The Beatles - With a Little Help From My Friends

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

Schala Choir - I Touch Myself

Nothing like hearing 14 year old European female choir singers talk about self abuse!

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

The Langley Schools Music Project is an elementary school choir from the 70s that did covers of several pop songs of the era. Their "God Only Knows," "Space Oddity," and "Good Vibrations" are all top-notch and richly bizarre.
Take your play seriously

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

Tanzwut covers Iron Man in German... but it's kind of abysmal.

Agreed with Belial on Mr. Sandman. That song makes me convulse in laughter.

Voltaire's cover of Tori Amos' Caught a Lite Sneeze is lovely. I mean, it has its own style and flavour, but doesn't make the song completely foreign.

Thea Gilmore does another nice one - Bruce Springsteen's Cover Me. That said, I just love her voice, and I don't know that I liked the original all that well anyhow.

Hm. Feel like I'm missing many, many.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Belial wrote:First, I have to agree with everything Jesster and notallama said about Tori Amos, MSI, and Tom Waits.

Second, the following covers also rock hard:

Blind Guardian - "Mr Sandman": There is nothing like listening to an absurd fantasy metal band covering a silly 50s song. And taking it just seriously enough to make it funny as hell.

Bella Morte - "My Heart Will Go On": Did you see Titanic, and think that the themesong didn't have enough Goth? I think we have the solution. "I'm fucking flying!"

Bella Morte - "Earth Angel": See my notes for the blind guardian cover above, and repeat but with a goth band. "Guys, grab a girl. Girls, grab a guy. Guys, grab a puppy."

A Perfect Circle - "Diary of a Madman/Lovesong": Possibly one of the most interesting covers I've ever heard. APC took two songs, "Diary of a Madman" by Ozzy Osbourne, and "Lovesong" by the Cure, and basically just combined their lyrics and tune into a pretty seamless fusion-song. Both sets of lyrics take on a different meaning when combined, and it essentially makes an entirely new song which is tasty and awesome.

Oh, agreed so hard. Although I've never got to hear them do My Heart Will Go On, Earth Angel was awesome.

And I can't believe I forgot the A Perfect Circle cover, that was so immense, but I've only got a live version of it.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Lollipop Lust Kill - "Personal Jesus"
Fear Factory - "Cars"
System of a Down - "Zelda Theme"
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Return to “Music”