Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Menace wrote:
scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:i remember seeing the arcade fire open up for the unicorns before they got big. that was a pretty rockin show, although no one had any idea who they were.

Was this after Funeral was released?

It was pretty awesome when I saw them, because they weren't too big yet, but they were on the way, so it was only people who really knew them that were there.

Screaming Lies! Lies! with a mob of people was a lot of fun.

yeah, i think they were selling funeral at the show, although i opted to pick up the unicorns' album instead.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 am UTC

this is silly - i've been to so many i cant remember them all. the most memorable would have to be the first Rockfest at the Texas Motor Speedway; Bush, No doubt, Collective Soul, Jewel... a bunch of crap i dont listen to anymore. it was my first "festival" concert.

my top 10 list (in no particular order)

Erasure
The Cure
Depeche Mode
Explosions in the Sky
Gwar
Assemblage 23
Nekromantix
VnV Nation
The Casualties w/ Dropkick Murphys
The Revered Horton Heat w/ Horrorpops

(followed closely by Beck w/ The flaming Lips, Poe, Dream Theater and Thrill Kill Kult)

((sorry. that a lot. but i really loved them))

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

blackeye

Postby blackeye » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:17 am UTC

tilly and the wall at the trubador in hollywood
twas right about the same night the belle and sebastian were playing at the hollywood bowl
I went with this girl that I was head over heels for
there really is nothing like your first show
cat?

Tetelestia

Postby Tetelestia » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 am UTC

Opeth on their Chicago stop in 2006. Other stops had supporting acts and normal sets, but NY, Chicago and LA got Opeth only. It was called 'An Evening with Opeth' I believe, where they played an extra extended set that included songs from every single album, a real treat because some had never been played live before.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

I have a feeling mine might be changing to the Talleyrand Music and Arts Festival in Jacksonville, FL on november 10th.

http://www.talleyrandfestival.com/

strangeparallel9

Postby strangeparallel9 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:44 am UTC

animal collective in boston last week

taggedunion

Postby taggedunion » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:35 am UTC

I went and saw Weird Al last night in an open-air concert. One of the songs, something like "I Wanna Be Your Lover, Baby", he was wearing a red lounge suit and walking the center aisle. And my girlfriend and I were by that aisle. Also, the seats in front of us were empty. Weird Al stood on those seats and gyrated his hips right in front of us. :D :D :D Didn't get a pic, tho'. :( It was really cool. But he's showing age.
Yo tengo un gato en mis pantelones.

strangeparallel9

Postby strangeparallel9 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:26 am UTC

animal collective tonight in seattle

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

I would have to say either Slayer or Metallica. Their live shows are pretty freakin sweet.

I saw a guy get his nose broken in a pit at Ozzfest once. Took an elbow right to the face and he was on his back.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Alesana tops every fucking band I've ever seen.
They are fucking amazing.

So much stage presence. And energy. I was in awe.

And the best part? They sound just as good live as they do in studio.

I'm in love.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Grlmm wrote:I saw a guy get his nose broken in a pit at Ozzfest once. Took an elbow right to the face and he was on his back.

At a green day concert I went to when I was 13 one of the people I was with got his earring ripped out.

I_Ate_My_Children

Postby I_Ate_My_Children » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Sigur Rós (Takk tour)
BBC Symphony orchestra (Brahms 3rd symphony)

Cai

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby Cai » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

I just saw Animal Collective last night...wow. Wow. Wowowowow.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Kryten

Postby Kryten » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

Sufjan Stevens, complete with a strings section. They did the entire set wearing giant wings (Sufjan was an eagle, the rest were butterflies). Crazy awesome stuff.

VirtualVoid

Postby VirtualVoid » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

Dream Theater: Radio City Music Hall, 4/1/2006
That concert was the stuff of the gods.
</post>

quaunaut

Postby quaunaut » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 am UTC

The first concert I went to was when I was 12- it wasn't the best, but I mention it because it was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Stone Temple Pilots was opening for them. STP's lead singer ran around the stage using an American flag as his cape for about 10 minutes too, til one of the fire machines caught the cape fire and he accidentally burnt it. The American Flag. Yeah, that was a pretty awesome concert.

But as for best...well, the second time I saw The Mars Volta. The first time was awesome, but the second time, I was the only one in the place who knew the newest songs(as the album had been leaked only 3 days before), and the first concert had already set an amazing bar. The first time it was them opening for System of a Down, who was pretty good, but everything seems boring after watching The Mars Volta. I've never even seen a more entertaining Youtube video of a concert- nothing can match that stage energy.

Oh, and 3rd would go to a little band called Circle Takes the Square, and also their lead in, Junius. CTTS had a crowd of people who knew every word of every song...and it was all screaming. For the final track(Nervous Light of Sunday), he said "Okay, were gonna do this one with soft instrumentals, no one scream, everyone just sing", and it was probably one of the most transcendent moments I've ever had. Junius was pretty good too- after spending 20 minutes telling the guys who owned the location to just turn off all the lights, they had the most trippy light show I've seen yet- primarily blue lights, but in important parts of songs, the main light would go to a pure white color. It was brilliant.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

HORSE the Band is coming near where I live the 23rd. I can't wait.

Best was probably..The White Stripes

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:43 am UTC

The Reel Big Fish plus assorted awesome ska bands tour that was going on last fall rocked. They put on a great show and I saw it in a pretty cool venue. Plus, you can't beat ska concerts for having the audience wearing snappy suits and dancing around like idiots.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

350 miles from the only psudo decent sized city (that is one that would attract concerts) i have seen very little live music which is really dissapointing. the only well known band I've seen was cake but that was a pretty awesome show. outside at the back of this awesome combination bar movietheatre we have here. They always have awsesome concerts and play all the random filmfest kind of movies you never hear about but are still cool. so the whole place just has this great vibe. and cake sounded almost exactly like they did on the records which was pretty neat. Its kind of funny because i didnt really like them before but i do now. The only other band who puts on awesome shows is a local band called sweating honey. really incredible ska/rock/jam/awesomeness. The kind of music where you just keep dancing till you cant stand up and then you run on pure adreniline and keep dancing until they stop. Super cool.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:06 pm UTC

quaunaut wrote:The first concert I went to was when I was 12- it wasn't the best, but I mention it because it was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Stone Temple Pilots was opening for them. STP's lead singer ran around the stage using an American flag as his cape for about 10 minutes too, til one of the fire machines caught the cape fire and he accidentally burnt it. The American Flag. Yeah, that was a pretty awesome concert.

I saw Green Day live when I was 13. It was fun but in no way the most awesome concert ever. My mom was there and she held onto me for dear life. Which means I didnt get to crowd surf or visit the mosh pit or anything. SUCKY. But it does make me marvel that since I am going to be 25 by the time the date of that concert rolls around, that Green Day has been going strong for over 12 years.

Gofyr

Postby Gofyr » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

A fairly small intimate gig for my Tutor's band Merlin's Keep , in which I got fairly plastered and danced.... Anyway. Fiddles and Alcohol are addictive.

Roxaven

Postby Roxaven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Three Days Grace/Buckcherry - Oklahoma City; February 1st, 2007; 8:00 PM CST - 11:00PM CST.

Best night of my life. Even though I hate Buckcherry. Three Days Grace is my musical inspiration.. That's why I was disappointed June 19th, 2007; Tulsa, Oklahoma; 6:00PM CST - 11:00PM CST (Three Days Grace/Breaking Benjamin/Puddle of Mudd/Red). The first 3 bands played their full sets, and then Three Days Grace played two songs before getting rained out, due to it being an outdoor show.

Oh and it wasn't a little rain. IT WAS A MASSIVE THUNDERSTORM! It was still a highlight of my life.
I don't do drugs...

I just write mediocre poetry.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:17 am UTC

#1: "Weird Al" Yankovic (2007, Raleigh, third row)
#2: Elton John (2006, Las Vegas, fourth row)
#3: Jimmy Buffett (2003, Raleigh, nosebleed seats)

I've seen others, but those were the best.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

andersju

Postby andersju » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:35 am UTC

Tough question. Some of the best, in chronological order:

- Opeth '03 - two sets in an old theater - soft (Damnation) / hard
- The Mars Volta '03
- Damien Rice '03 - getting rid (?) of Lisa Hannigan was a terrible idea..
- Arcade Fire '04 - club gig despite the fact that they were very hyped at the time; very crowded, very good
- The Legendary Shack Shakers '04 - most intense front man I've ever seen
- M. Ward '06
- Spiritualized '07 - acoustic mainlines tour; beautiful

yellie

Postby yellie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:59 am UTC

andersju wrote:- Damien Rice '03 - getting rid (?) of Lisa Hannigan was a terrible idea..

They had "reached their creative peak" and Lisa wanted to do her own stuff, so she decided to leave. I don't really like Vivienne Long but she's a good cello player, so I'm happy with Damo's new arrangement. c:

Anyway, uh, yeah, my favourite concert was in fact Damien Rice - 25 August 07 at Marlay Park. Everything about it was perfect; it was the first sunny day since June, the supporting acts (Fionn Regan, KT Tunstall, Guillemots and Willy Mason) were all incredible and Damo himself was mindblowing. Gah, I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. He actually got us to shout "We love you Lisa!" into his phone, and we did the same for Tomo, haha.

Daft Punk, the Foo's & NIN, Tool and Alkaline Trio get notable mentions.

andersju

Postby andersju » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:10 am UTC

yellie wrote:They had "reached their creative peak" and Lisa wanted to do her own stuff, so she decided to leave. I don't really like Vivienne Long but she's a good cello player, so I'm happy with Damo's new arrangement. c:

Anyway, uh, yeah, my favourite concert was in fact Damien Rice - 25 August 07 at Marlay Park. Everything about it was perfect; it was the first sunny day since June, the supporting acts (Fionn Regan, KT Tunstall, Guillemots and Willy Mason) were all incredible and Damo himself was mindblowing. Gah, I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. He actually got us to shout "We love you Lisa!" into his phone, and we did the same for Tomo, haha.

That's nice to hear. Last time I saw him (March this year) was a week after Lisa left - which I only found out about when back home again. Very disappointing when he sang her parts and I began to realize, several songs into the set, that she wasn't gonna show up (and he made no mention of her at all).

Anyway, sounds like a great concert. I'd love to see Fionn Regan. Damien chooses wisely. Second time I saw him, Josh Ritter (then unknown here) supported, and he was so good that he was back a few months later for a gig of his own.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

I'm sorry that I have to bring this up repeatedly, but Damien Rice = Fail. That's all there is to it. I thought everybody had figured this out already but I'm happy to continue correcting the misinformed among you.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

andersju

Postby andersju » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:09 pm UTC

davef wrote:I'm sorry that I have to bring this up repeatedly, but Damien Rice = Fail. That's all there is to it. I thought everybody had figured this out already but I'm happy to continue correcting the misinformed among you.

I'm sorry that I have to say this, but I'm so beyond alternative that it's actually OK for me to like anything I like :) You should try it, it's very liberating.

davef

Postby davef » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:26 pm UTC

andersju wrote:I'm sorry that I have to say this, but I'm so beyond alternative that it's actually OK for me to like anything I like :) You should try it, it's very liberating.

Most of the time I agree with you, it's just that for me, ol' Ricey-boy (along with James Blunt) falls into a category labeled 'No-one Could Ever Seriously Like This Stuff, Could They?' and I'm continuously stunned when people actually do.

[/musical nazi]

andersju

Postby andersju » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

davef wrote:Most of the time I agree with you, it's just that for me, ol' Ricey-boy (along with James Blunt) falls into a category labeled 'No-one Could Ever Seriously Like This Stuff, Could They?' and I'm continuously stunned when people actually do.

Heh, I understand. And I completely agree with you on the worthlessness of J. Blunt. Condemning bad music is a difficult issue - on the one hand, everything is totally subjective (much like what kind of food we like to eat, a comparison Wayne Coyne made), on the other hand it's sometimes very, very difficult to refrain from doing so..

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Best concert - not quite sure.

HOWEVER. Last night I went to see Dirty Projectors.

Imagine it.

If you have any sense whatsoever, you'll click that link. It was awesome.

wanderinggypsy

Postby wanderinggypsy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:46 am UTC

I'm addicted to Flogging Molly concerts... I like them best in smaller venues though...

The Living End and Flogging Molly at the Fillmore a few years back was a kick ass show, too.

I would *almost* kill to see Flogging Molly AND Living End together. I've managed to miss that particular show... :(

Prole

Postby Prole » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

Kryten wrote:Sufjan Stevens, complete with a strings section. They did the entire set wearing giant wings (Sufjan was an eagle, the rest were butterflies). Crazy awesome stuff.

Wow, that would have been immense.

Radiohead - Point Depot Dublin 2004

Took me a second radiohead gig in 2006 to realise just how good the first had been.

also, tool in the same venue rocked something savage

davef

Postby davef » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

I'll tell you the best concert I haven't been to - Brad Mehldau last weekend at Vicar Street. He played a solo show and I couldn't go. My flatmate went and he said it was incredible. "The most memorable show I've seen in ages", he said.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

3 hours of Queen.

I need not say anything more.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

Best one I'd have to say was Family Values Tour '06. 8 great bands all tied together (since Deadsy and Walls of Jericho weren't exactly "good") made for one awesome show. I've never felt the energy of the crowd more than I did when 10 years played Wasteland.

Under best concert I wish I had gone to would have been The Dismemberment Plan's two charity shows this year. Unfortunately tickets sold out in minutes so I couldn't get any. :cry:
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

Thrice gave Alesana a run for their money, but I think Alesana won.

Although Thrice played an intriguing mix of old and new material... that just might put them equal with Alesana...

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang '06 at the Oakland Colosseum
Absolutely fucking amazing. I think I got second hand stoned.

I almost got to go to Gogol Bordello...

Also, Todd Agnew - Better Questions a few weeks ago was pretty good.

Arabella

Postby Arabella » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

I saw Animal Collective last Thursday wow wow wow. They deserve 4 mentions on this page definitely. My best though was probably Joanna Newsom at the Royal Albert hall. Actually or Grizzly Bear in which 3 songs were so perfect I wanted to cry. But by this time next week I will have seen Beirut and Andrew Bird too. Whoop! And seeing Teenage Fanclub at a festival i went to was amazzzzzing because I have loved them since i was 11.

Klye

Postby Klye » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:26 am UTC

Oh this is so hard...

But I think I have to go with The Last Vegas. (Which means they beat out Muse, Taking Back Sunday, Underoath, Saosin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Kill Hannah, Plain White T's, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and alot more...)

There is just something about being inches away from the band with no seperating barrier that makes it so good. The guy I was standing next to kept licking the lead guitarist.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Return to “Music”