Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

WolfShirts

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby WolfShirts » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:50 am UTC

Top 5 (no order)

Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus - Most entertaining live show ever. Megatron screen, movies, flashy choreography and all of that. Also, I really like the songs (I heard them at work a lot, got hooked somehow). Well deserving of the biggest pop act in recent years. Miley Cyrus can sing live - no overtrack or anything, even with her being sick and cutting each set a couple of songs short. New wave-y synth mixed with pop-rock anthems and copius amounts of OHs! and WOOs! is a big plus. Extremely entertaining, well worth the money.

Dudefest 2007 - Biggest grindcore/punk festival there is to my knowledge. HeWhoCorrupts, Graf Orlock, Genghis Tron, Pig Destroyer, Racebannon, Ampere, Daitro, Comadre, Gaza, Engineer, Ultra Dolphins, Young Widows, Coliseum, Ed Gein, Phoenix Bodies, Plague Bringer - all of these bands have top 10 albums in various punk circles, and could headline their own show and draw a decent crowd. But with all these bands together, and with the fest (also the best named fest ever) held at the scummiest church in the ghetto of indianapolis made for the best two days of my life. People can say they saw a guy get his nose broke or whatever, but here people clung to the rafters, accidentally broke the overhead lights and covered the floor in broken glass, got many a broken nose, chipped teeth, attacked and made out with singers of bands while they were playing, covered in shampoo, attacked by furries, having one of the male furry getting the clothes torn off him then going crowd surfing naked, free popcicles, frisbee games in the pit, and overall ridiculous amounts of violence, singalongs, mosh pits and male nudity - and that was just saturday. They threw this fest like something Wily E. Coyote would throw off a cliff to kill the roadrunner.

Envy at the Che Cafe - Envy are from Japan, and started out as a visceral hardcore band with a singer who brought songs to a climax with his voice alone. They eventually melded their sound with post rock like Explosions in the Sky and Mono and now make the most epic music of any kind, with climaxes that truly crash with vocals searing overhead, mellow interludes, and fast bursts of intensity. Seeing them live left people crying , curled up on the floor, and out of breath staggering out of the venue. During their set, no one did a thing except stare slack jawed.

Arcade Fire - They know how to write anthems. Since I saw them at a general admission venue, I stood in line for over three hours waiting for them, and was at the barricade in front of the violinists. Every song sounded like the biggest encore of any lesser band, and every word was sung along. Since I was so into it (I'm usually at punk shows where shit happens) I was really dancing and singing along, and caught the attention of the girls playing violin. We'd make eye contact and singalong from ten feet away, and knowing that the band IS singing towards/with you made the night so special. Also they played almost every song from Funeral and Neon Bible, including Cold Wind!

Comadre in general - They're my favorite punk band of all time. They combine anything visceral, play it louder and faster and shred people's faces off. I've seen them seven times this year (one of which at the amazing Dudefest), all of which I'd be singing every word or dancing and picking myself back up. We talk, and from them I've met some good friends. Definitely see them if you can, best $5 you'll spend.
Less sass. More blasts.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

PJ Harvey last night. Utterly astounding. I am so madly and deeply in love with this lady.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Angstrom

Postby Angstrom » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Rammstein at Carling Academy, London
There is no contest here.

Distant runners-up:
Kamelot at the State Theater, Florida
Nightwish at Club Firestone, Orlando

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

A long, long time ago I went to see Seven Mary Three at either La Vela or Spinnaker in PC Beach. Poe opened for them. I'd never heard of them/her and she fucking blew me away. Just awesome.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

microwaved

Postby microwaved » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

Angstrom wrote:Rammstein at Carling Academy, London
There is no contest here.

I'd love to see rammstein in concert. Last time they were in my area they played at the local hole in the wall. They weren't allowed to do any of their pyrotechnics for fear of burning the place down. Sadly I didn't make it to the show.

Of the concerts I have been too though, my favorite has to be the time I saw static X, soul fly, and soil (who had their first lead singer at the time) at the previously mentioned hole in the wall. Followed closely by the two mushroom head concerts I've been to, namely their yearly halloween show. They really know how to put on a good show.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:08 am UTC

daft punk's was great. The rapture hyped the entire crowd up, and then "BAM..."

the following occurs:
"wow.. this is tight.. daft punk and their silly suits"
"wow this remix is amazing"
"holy shit those lights are flashing amazingly... that's really well synced.."
"oh... my... GOD THE ENTIRE 60' WIDE SCREEN BEHIND THEM IS A GIANT LCD SCREEN!?!?!!?!"
"holy WHAT THE FUCK. THEIR GLASS PYRAMID LIGHTS UP?!"
"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THOSE THINGS ON THE SIDES OF THE PYRAMID LIGHT UP IN LIKE A BILLION COLORS?!?!!?"
"....jesus chrsit the giant glass pyramid is covered in LCD SCREENS?!"
"um.. i just shit myslef.. that lcd screen used to do like.. patterns and matrixes to show traveling through time and space but now it's PHOTOREALISITC? WHAAAAAAATTT"

yeah.
uhhhh fuck.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:25 pm UTC

Paul McCartney back in '04 for his Chaos and Creation in the Backyard Album.

The old man still had it.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

i think we've already had this thread but;

this past summer i went to see sonic youth play the entirety of daydream nation in brooklyn, NY. it was the most amazing thing i have ever experienced hands down. i've been to a lot of concerts before, seen most of my favorite bands, and this tops it all.

second on the list was seeing yo la tengo at toads place in new haven, CT.

edit: this is the thread i thought it was but somehow missed my post in the first browse. i find it humorous that i posted 2 completely different shows before, both of which were awesome and amazing shows as well. i always forget how many shows i've actually been to... especially in the past 2 years.
Last edited by scrt_rbt_agnt on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

Muse!
then prince..
then kiss

Zug-Zug

Postby Zug-Zug » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Motion City Soundtrack, with OkGo and The Hard Lessons, was a really awesome concert in Amsterdam last year. One of the few bands I can sing along with any of their songs.
The Used, with Head Automatica, was also super great. No let downs here either. :D

grant

Postby grant » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I just saw an artist named Josh Ritter at the Commodore in Vancouver and it was really a fun show. His album didn't grab me, but boy did he ever put on a fun show.
Also, a Canadian band called "the Weakerthans" put on a really good show. I saw them in montreal a few years back and it was really fun.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:42 am UTC

I went to an Of Montreal concert at my school several months ago. They were the most energetic and theatrical band I've ever seen live, I can't really explain it, but if you haven't seen them live, you must. I can't imagine anyone disliking it unless they were so stuck up that they were opposed to having fun.

My favorite concert, though, was probably seeing Kayo Dot perform live in a tiny little bar venue. I had to wait through hours of mediocre opening bands but Kayo Dot themselves were phenomenal (although vastly under-appreciated by much of the audience, but you can't really expect such an avant-garde act to garner mass appeal). I got to talk to Mia (the very attractive (and short) asian violinist) and my friend played Area 51 with their trumpeter. Not a week after, the majority of the band (including said trumpeter) left. Now I'm eagerly awaiting their new album and hoping they add a date in San Diego to their upcoming tour.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:08 am UTC

Tommy Emmanuel in Charleston!

The man is among the most amazing (creative, clean, awesome, sweet, all those good descriptive terms apply to the sounds he makes) guitar players I have ever seen or heard play ever.

His final song was vastly different from his others, mostly making sounds that had an "outback" feel, dedicated to the aborigines he'd helped entertain as part of a traveling troupe as a kid. To make a sort of digeridoo sound, he plucked some chord or something really hard and then put the guitar some particular distance from the amp to play the guitar using feedback.

It's not just that his guitar was like an extension of his body; it was the most amazing display of dexterity, mental quickness, and "being in the zone"-ness, that I can remember ever seeing.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Ah, that'll be Initiation. I've seen him a bunch of times, and I agree wholeheartedly with what you said.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:24 am UTC

I just got back from a Bang Camaro show. Their music may be simplistic and repetitive, but it rocks. Their stage presence is amazing, and the entire band plays at full energy the entire concert. The location was a bit of a dive, but the crowd made up for it.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

The Prodigy on the Their Law tour....

Made me wish I'd been born a few years earlier so I could have participated in the rave scene.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:"um.. i just shit myslef.. that lcd screen used to do like.. patterns and matrixes to show traveling through time and space but now it's PHOTOREALISITC? WHAAAAAAATTT"

Daft Punk: Yea, it's kinda like that.

Beyond my Queen experience, Muse put on an AMAZING show.
Last edited by Aleril on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yellie

Postby yellie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

New favourite: Mindless Self Indulgence at the Voodoo Lounge in November. Tiny gig, directly in front of/pretty much beneath Lyn-Z and Jimmy the entire time, they played all of my favourite songs, including Mastermind and Capitol P (insert kiss off of Jimmy here), and I got to meet them afterwards.

So, yeah. Definitely the best gig I've ever been to, if not the best night of my life.

The Coincidence

Postby The Coincidence » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:45 am UTC

The Mars Volta not long after "Frances the Mute" was released. Holy shit. This defies description, just go see them for yourself.

Beck when he was touring with The Flaming Lips. I had front-row seats in a small-ish auditorium setting. The entire thing was amazing.

Just this past Monday I saw Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden... had to drive to NYC from Syracuse and back in the same day. That was an adventure, didn't get home until 6:45 in the morning. But it was oh so worth it. I would do it again for the performance of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" alone.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:43 am UTC

Kraftwerk, at Electric Picnic in Ireland. The synthesis of sound and image was unparalleled, particularly for Trans-Europe Express. I highly recommend the tour DVD Minimum-Maximum. I still can't believe I actually saw them. Flawless performances, and that indescribable feeling of greatness that comes with only the finest musicians. I was genuinely awestruck.

Honourable mentions to Philip Jeck, A Silver Mt. Zion and Radiohead. Each for different reasons, to difficult to describe here. I feel priviliged to have seen these artists, and that is something even the best night out, or the most entertaining can't hope to emulate.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Kamikazee

Postby Kamikazee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:18 am UTC

In order ... .. I would have gone to the Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden and Linken Park concerts in the last year but due to work coudlnt.

Infected Mushroom - 2007
The Offspring - 1999
Jethro Tull - 2005
Deep Purple - 2006
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Maynard Ferguson and the Big Bop Nouveau Band. The last time I saw him (about a month or so before he died), he had an AMAZING drummer. Ten minute drum solo that left me completely speechless. Most beautiful thing EVER. ...Not to mention Maynard's pretty cool, himself.

Yo Yo Ma-- I almost cried at his encore. He did a solo of "Appalachian Waltz", which is absolutely gorgeous.

Concerts I really want to see that come around my area pretty often:
--Jimmy Buffett
--Chicago
--Weird Al
--Earth Wind and Fire
--SOMEBODY playing the 1812 Overture. It would make my life. If they had real cannons, EVEN BETTER.
--TSO
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

davef

Postby davef » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Mercat wrote:Yo Yo Ma-- I almost cried at his encore. He did a solo of "Appalachian Waltz", which is absolutely gorgeous.

Do you have the Appalachia Waltz/Journey albums? They're absolutely brilliant. Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor. There's another album called Uncommon Ritual with Meyer, Bela Fleck and Mike Marshall that I think is even better, too

--SOMEBODY playing the 1812 Overture. It would make my life. If they had real cannons, EVEN BETTER.

I have a 5.1 recording of this. Loud cannons are LOUD!

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:47 am UTC

I have two albums, the Appalachian album and a Latin-American inspired one (can't remember the name off the top of my head). They're both GORGEOUS, though.

And yay, loud cannons!
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:18 am UTC

I've seen Pink Floyd, I've seen Clutch.. I've seen Mindless Self Indulgence, Rob Zombie, Fugazi, Korn, Rammstein...I've seen Rage Against the Machine, and I even saw the Wu Tang Clan. I've seen many, many other bands...

In retrospect, The Eels were probably the best show I've seen.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:16 am UTC

Australian Pink Floyd when they were in Atlanta at the Fox.

Or the Simon and Garfunkel reunion at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta.

*Edit*

The little white Australian chick that sang The Great Gig in the Sky brought me to tears, such a voice.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

someguy

Postby someguy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:02 am UTC

I'm seeing Dylan in ten days, I'll report back :P.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I've seen Pink Floyd

I hate you so much... There are so many old bands that I absolutely hate that I'll never get the chance to see live. It is tremendously
depressing.

I will be seeing Porcupine Tree live in a few weeks which should be great (second best prog rock band behind the almighty pink floyd. For now we can just assume that will be the best concert i'll have been to.

Jeanius

Postby Jeanius » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Afro Celt Sound System, back in the day at the El Capitan. Colossus is so much different when its right in your face. This, however, is tied very closely with The Meters. The new Meters, not the older, original Meters, unfortunately, but GOD. I've never heard funk so raw before. My hair was sprouting fro picks right and left.

Recently, I went to see DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist's "Hard Sell," which blew my mind clear out of the water. All 45's? All original presses? Jebus. I did have the pleasure of seeing Bruce Springsteen for the opening night of the Staples Center, but as much as I like him, after a while he's just talking.

Lets see, who else... Morcheeba, DJ Logic, RJD2, DJ Krush... yay.
"You're reading the manual??? God man, you must be stoned..."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:40 am UTC

someguy wrote:I'm seeing Dylan in ten days, I'll report back :P.

I'll give you a good opening line: "I couldn't understand a goddamned fucken word."

I feel sorry for Dylan's band members. When he introduces them, people just say "uh, whut?"

Bob Dylan: "On z-bayzzz, hohny hgnarnyeeah"
Spectator #1: "Who did he say was playing bass?"
Spectator #2: "Hohny Gnargeeyah, I think."
Spectator #1: "That's not even a name"
Spectator #2: "He could have said "Tony Garnier""

Anyway, my best concert was a Mr. Scruff gig somewhere in Brighton or Amon Tobin/Fatboy Slim at Glastonbury. Obviously, the most fun gig anyone's ever been to would be a Flaming Lips gig, as Wayne Coin has fulfilled Randall's 3 wishes with his man-sized hamster ball. Roger Waters played one of the most accomplished gigs I've ever seen. He did the whole Pink Floyd shtick with panache, and a splendid time was guaranteed for all.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tasken

Postby tasken » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:46 am UTC

so far the last big concert of manu chao here at Buenos Aires, Argentina...

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
someguy wrote:I'm seeing Dylan in ten days, I'll report back :P.

I'll give you a good opening line: "I couldn't understand a goddamned fucken word."

The more I see, the more I believe we are the same person. Except you're far more pithy than I am, you bastard.

My top gigs (for bands you've definitely heard of):
1) Radiohead at Glastonbury 2003 (as described in Radiothread)
2) The Flaming Lips (Yes), also Glastonbury 2003.
3) Bjork at Glastonbury 2007.
4) Muse, Exeter Westpoint Arena, 2004
5) Blur, Wembley Arena, 1997. Just after "Blur" was released.

Top other gigs:
Bomb The Suns Of Thunder, Monkey Cafe, Swansea 2005. Two of my favourite local bands playing a joint set, coupled with what is still the best kiss I have ever had in my life.
Clutch, TJ's, Newport 2007. It was bloody hot but this band are so, so good. Technically brilliant and they rock harder than almost any other band in the world.
Truckfighters and Fu Manchu, Islington Academy 2007. Fu Manchu were supposedly the headliners but Truckfighters utterly stole the show for me. Amazing riffs and full of energy.
Youngblood Brass Band, Cargo in Old Street, London, 2005. Saw this band at Glastonbury that year in what was obviously a destined meeting. Never heard anything like them before and was so impressed that I went to see them twice in two days later on in the year, once in London and once in Cardiff. The London gig was a better one because the crowd were better, really. But they were amazing both times.
EDIT: Forgot - Bloodhound Gang in the Melkweg, Amsterdam. Backstage with Lupus after the gig, free beer and joints, then out to the Liedseplein for some more nightlife. Awesome.
Last edited by cypherspace on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

hachiman128

Postby hachiman128 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Rise Against w/ Silverstein, Comeback Kid, and Smoke or Fire in Kansas City. I would say that was probably the best night of my life so far.

Banksy

Re:

Postby Banksy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

The best concert I have ever seen, without a doubt, is when I went to see Deep Purple, and the support band was no less than Thin Lizzy.
:D
Uberwin!
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

davef

Postby davef » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

That's only Win if the gig was pre-allthemostimportantmembersdyingorleaving!

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

Daft punk. It's a cliche... but a delicious one.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Best gig for me may very well be The Pixies at T in the Park. Me and my fellow Pixie obessed best friend just waited out in front of the main stage all day, until they came on. It was more than worth it. Kim Deal looked STRAIGHT at me.

Other contenders include both times i've seen The Flaming Lips (such a lovely, bouncey crowd to be in), Hot Hot Heat, Of Montreal, The Hold Steady, Guillemots, Supergrass and Metric.

Jeanius wrote:Recently, I went to see DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist's "Hard Sell," which blew my mind clear out of the water. All 45's? All original presses? Jebus.

I wanted to see that gig so bad! Mmm..turntablism. I saw DJ Shadow in 2006 and that was fucking spectacular. Slap bang at the front and center, not giving a crap about being crushed slightly and just getting lost in the music. If he'd have played 'Walkie Talkie' that night, it would have been perfect.
i dare you to take me on...

harpwner

Postby harpwner » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

The Tool concert I went to two years ago was absolutely incredible. The last song and encore (Lateralus and Ænema) were the most amazing songs I've ever seen. Also, I saw Between The Buried And Me last summer in a club that could only hold about 500. I held hands with the singer and shook hands with the guitarist and got his pick. A wild experience for me. An honorable mention goes out to Dream Theater last summer as well. It would have been great, but it was just an awful setlist in my opinion.
Moreover, there is no one of no correction in the shop from the law of Japan at all.
Please buy it after acknowledging the thing.
Neither returner goods non the repayment done because of the thing are received at all.
-Books Tachibana

davef

Postby davef » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:10 am UTC

Got me some Leonard Cohen tickets. Aww yeah.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Tripod.

I don't get out much. It wasn't really a concert - they are a comedy band.

I need to get me some money.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Return to “Music”