Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cheeveer

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby Cheeveer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

The Who, last year in Stockholm, for the pure music.
The Soundtrack of our Lives a few years ago for the best atmosphere.

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
someguy wrote:I'm seeing Dylan in ten days, I'll report back :P.

I'll give you a good opening line: "I couldn't understand a goddamned fucken word."

Welp, you couldn't have been more right about that.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

tday93
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)

Postby tday93 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Foreigner/Styx/Def Leppard at the verizon wireless amp. in irvine

it was amazing..

Def Leppard sucked though....

Foreigner made up for it...

holy damn
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

tiny

Postby tiny » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

I've only been to three concerts. die ärzte (Unrockstar) in Köln, Tori Amos (American Doll Posse) in Nürnberg and My Chemical Romance (Black Parade) in Düsseldorf.
The last one was the best. I was there with Corinna, we danced the extatic 'Oh me yarm Gerard Way is chubby, but so sexy and this music rocks so hard, oh yeah, it rocks' seizure dance, and we had sore necks from head banging for three days after the gig.
When we drove off the parking lot we pointed and laughed at all the kiddies who were picked up by their parents. It was the first concert ever for the most of them and not even direct instructions given by Mr. Way himself were able to get them to dance and do the pogo. It was kind of sad, but also quite hilarious. Fucking teens with their hello kitty emo looks.
The best thing was that we had ear plugs, not only for our tympanic membranes, but also because we heard ourselfs and didn't 'sing' so loud, avoiding an aching throat the next day. ... Now that I read it, this sounds like we're sissies... but we're not. We're... uh... intelligent hard core. RAAWK!! o.o
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:47 am UTC

I just saw They Might Be Giants last night in a pretty small venue, and while it wasn't the 'best' concert I have been to, it was probably the most enjoyable because everyone is such a goofball, making it impossible not to smile.
John Hancock

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:44 am UTC

I hate myself about concerts. It seems like I miss all the ones that turn out to be amazing. I have (within the past year) had the opportunity to see both Arcade Fire and Muse (not at the same time, sadly) and missed them both. :cry: What is wrong with me?!?!

However, for concerts I DID see, I think The Decemberists this January was the best. The venue was cool and they just got everyone so into it. Colin Meloy can control a crowd like nobody else... during "The Perfect Crime" (#2, I think) at certain cued moments, the entire crowd ran in place. And during "Sixteen Military Wives" the crowd was split into three sections and we had a contest to see which section could do the best and loudest "la dee da dee da de ditty ditty da" chorus. My section, the balcony, totally owned, btw.

Hopefully I will make it to Sasquatch this year, which has like a million awesome bands I want to see. Maybe there I can recover from my epic concert fails.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

stevekl

Postby stevekl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

An ADULT. concert in Detroit at the Magic Stick about 2 years ago. I've seen them a lot, but seeing them in their home town was just electrically magic.

About 10 years ago I saw Siddal play at either the Middle East or TTs in Cambridge, and there was one point where the music was so ethereal I felt like I was floating -- it was a very weird almost out-of-body experience.

Lastly The Smiths at the Fox in Detroit in 1986, only because they broke up not long after that and I get to tell the young'uns nowadays that I saw The Smiths. :D

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:27 am UTC

someguy wrote:
Felstaff wrote:
someguy wrote:I'm seeing Dylan in ten days, I'll report back :P.

I'll give you a good opening line: "I couldn't understand a goddamned fucken word."

Welp, you couldn't have been more right about that.

I was waiting for this post. Then it passed me by. So, did you catch the names of his band? I think their names are Ehhenrahh Hoo, Gaphnoreuhhh Mhrrmmhhr, Tom Murrkhrdeeho, and Jamsmmb Strishdaaah.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Rage Against the Machine at T in the Park in July.

It's 4 months away, but I doubt anything will ever top it.

Until then I guess it'd be Kasabian either at T last year or at ABC in Glasgow a couple of months later, both incredible gigs.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

g-dan

Postby g-dan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:18 am UTC

U2 when I was ten, with my dad. It was awesome. Even though we had the highest up seats, we were maybe 40ft from the stage. The arena was like an elongated oval, with the stage at the very edge of the oval. We were at the edge too, right above the stage. I could have leaned over the edge, dropped a tennis ball straight down and hit the drummer in the head.

Runner up would have to be Mindless Self Indulgence at the Vans Warped Tour last summer break.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

The Mars Volta in Chicago soon after Frances the Mute came out. They started the show with a drum solo, and then played for two hours straight, with some pretty amazing segues. And I never really noticed him stop playing, but somehow the drummer managed to take his shirt off mid-concert. There's just something about them breaking into Take the Veil, Cerpin Taxt that I wish could be bottled. Or put into an IV drip.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:43 am UTC

The Arcade Fire at Thanksgiving Point, September 2007. It would have been even better if I'd gotten there in time for LCD Soundsystem, but The Arcade Fire need only to be together with implements of noise to create supergood times. Ridiculous energy.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

c010depunkk

Postby c010depunkk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:20 am UTC

I guess my favorite "live" experience was the Love Parade 2007 in Essen... Not really a concert, more like a disco on the streets with 1.2 million guests.... That totally rocked, can't wait till LP2008 in Dortmund!!!
www.c010depunkk.com --- the hangout of a web developer

Ninjew

Postby Ninjew » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:22 am UTC

I just saw the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra play Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition". It was amazing!

Peregrin

Postby Peregrin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Santa Rosa Symphony played Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring a couple of years back. It is some of the most intense music to experience live.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Saw Converge last night.
Amazing. Incredible. I've never seen so much energy on stage before (Jacob Bannon was completely dripping with sweat by the time the set was over, probably because he was running and jumping around the stage the whole time), or a band that seemed so positively ecstatic to be there, playing their music. It was the most uplifting and energizing concert I've ever been to.

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:59 am UTC

Pennywise and Less Than Jake both put on superb shows, but the best live performance I've had was by A Wilhelm Scream. They've come to my area at least once per year, and they always get better. Definitely my favorite live act.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:33 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:06 am UTC

I've seen Melt-Banana, The Locust, Lightning Bolt, and Dropdead more times than I can keep track of, and they're all always amazing. Nothing beats Melt-Banana live.

But a few particular shows that were also very good:

Diamanda Galas (doing material along the lines of her album "The Singer": gospel tunes, etc. Also did a Johnny Cash cover.)
Rah Bras backing up Men's Recovery Project
Slayer playing a tiny dive of a club just before doing the real tour for Seasons of the Abyss.
The Clash on the Combat Rock tour
Adam Ant on the Friend or Foe tour.
DMBQ twice with China on drums. (She was killed in on their second US tour when their van got hit from behind on the highway.)

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Just got home from seeing Porcupine Tree in Sydney (finally, they come here).

Best. Concert. Ever.

period. Nothing comes close to the Tree.

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri May 02, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Iron Maiden at Acer Arena, Sydney.

Can't describe how amazing it was, Bruce Dickinson controls the crowd like no other.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

It's a three-way tie for me:

U2 in NY, 2005
The Verve in NY, 2008
Massive Attack, 2006

All of them blew my mind. And my ears. Oh, my ears.

Honorable mention: Explosions In The Sky. Those guys are way out there.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Sat May 03, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Honorable mention: Explosions In The Sky. Those guys are way out there.

I've been to a limited number of concerts, but EITS is for sure my #1. EITS + Lichens. Unbelievable.

This may change after Lollapalooza this year, though. :D
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon May 05, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Saw Converge last night.
Amazing. Incredible. I've never seen so much energy on stage before (Jacob Bannon was completely dripping with sweat by the time the set was over, probably because he was running and jumping around the stage the whole time), or a band that seemed so positively ecstatic to be there, playing their music. It was the most uplifting and energizing concert I've ever been to.
I know I'm a little late in asking, but did you get kicked in the head at fall in love?

I guess I should also mention how great Rademacher was at Kilby Court last summer. They were good at the Urban Lounge a month ago, but that Kilby show was special.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

The best I've been to, by far, was the Shout it Loud Tour's stop in Philadelphia last July. It was Against All Authority, Streetlight Manifesto, Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish. The best part was that I got there at the end of Against All Authority's set, so I didn't have to sit through that to hear the other three.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:I know I'm a little late in asking, but did you get kicked in the head at fall in love?
Unfortunately not. But between that and the small series where one of the characters was wearing a maudlin of the Well shirt, I think I've fallen in love with the strip.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 am UTC

As well you should

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri May 09, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

I just saw Dream Theater, Opeth and Between the Buried and Me.

I cant decide if it was better than Queen or Muse though.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri May 09, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

DT with Opeth?
I've seen both of them live. In fact, I saw both of them with Megadeth at consecutive Gigantours. Seems like a strange combination of bands, especially with BTBAM. I imagine Opeth and, especially, Between the Buried and Me would turn off a lot of Dream Theater fans who don't like death metal.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri May 09, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Saw Daughtry & Bon Jovi a few weeks ago. Definitely the best concert I've ever been to. I'd heard the reports of a 2-2.5 hour long show just from Bon Jovi. I thought I'd get tired of being there that long, but it was awesome. For Daughtry, they weren't bad, still pretty new, of course, but anyone that uses a bullhorn on stage is pretty cool in my book :)
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 09, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

I have two, because they're at completely different ends of the spectrum.

One was Pink Floyd, in support of Division Bell, back in the 90's. Pure spectacle. Giant floating pigs; a lengthy animated film; a huge mirror-ball large enough to hold members of the band; lasers; bright lights; fireworks (I think?) -- pretty much everything. Plus, one of my favourite bands of all time, playing a lot of great tunes.

The other was Camille just the other year, she played here in the French Embassy. It was wonderful, yet intimate. At one point, she tried to get the audience to sing along, but no-one knew any of the French pop hits that she was trying. Yet she carried on. Pure charisma. I say this, not as an example of a fault with the show, but the fact that she was so brave, and didn't give a rat's ass that no-one else was getting it, she just moved on and went and did something else. Le Fil is a wonderful collection of tunes, and I think she played every single one of them.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Fri May 16, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:I've seen Melt-Banana, The Locust, Lightning Bolt, and Dropdead more times than I can keep track of, and they're all always amazing. Nothing beats Melt-Banana live.

But a few particular shows that were also very good:

Diamanda Galas (doing material along the lines of her album "The Singer": gospel tunes, etc. Also did a Johnny Cash cover.)
Rah Bras backing up Men's Recovery Project
Slayer playing a tiny dive of a club just before doing the real tour for Seasons of the Abyss.
The Clash on the Combat Rock tour
Adam Ant on the Friend or Foe tour.
DMBQ twice with China on drums. (She was killed in on their second US tour when their van got hit from behind on the highway.)

i'd kill to see dropdead
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

Clem

Postby Clem » Sat May 17, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

There's been a few...

But I'd have to say the best, in which I enjoyed myself the most and saw excellent performances were:

British Sea Power supported by the Killers in 2003
Frank Black and the Catholics in 2003
The Breeders supported by Jim Noir, last month
Pixies at T in The Park 2004

(Notice a theme? :D)
Hurr.

seladore

Postby seladore » Sat May 17, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

I saw Radiohead do an acoustic gig in London, it was stunning.

Also, any Cambridge MA people seen Session Americana? They play at the Lizard Lounge near Porter Square. Almost the best thing I have ever seen live, and just in some small local bar.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sat May 17, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

TallMax wrote:
i'd kill to see dropdead

They're really consistantly amazing. I've probably seen them... 20 times or so, and I've never seen them play a bad show. Also, I don't really like other bands like them - they're good enough to appeal outside their subgenre.

timt

Postby timt » Sun May 18, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

Dream theater and slayer were my favourite over the last couple of years. Maiden was good but they bore me a bit. Psycroptic played a really good how as well when they came over. I'm still waiting for necrophagist to do a tour, now THAT will be something to experience.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

About a month ago Reel Big Fish played at our college. While Muse was still more intense, their setlist was really enjoyable. I also enjoyed it a lot because I work for the office that gives us the opportunity to work alongside the sound crew to set up and tear down the staging... This also means that I was able to be past the riot fencing and chill leaning against the stage... a couple pictures:

This is the stage setup. Full sound and lighting ftw.

"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

AtomicLlama

Postby AtomicLlama » Wed May 21, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Most Fun: The Flaming Lips. Outdoor show at a Casino in Council Bluffs, IA. If you're not smiling when you leave a Flaming Lips show, there's something wrong with you.

Best Music-wise: Wilco at the Orpheum in Omaha. 2 hours of absolute perfection.

Best Overall: Willy Mason/David Dondero/Spoon/Bright Eyes, also at the Orpheum. An absolutely amazing lineup. I had never even listened to Bright Eyes before, after this show they became one of my favorite bands. I've seen them live 3 times since then, but they've never quite lived up to the awesomeness of this concert. Seeing them play Lets Not Shit Ourselves was probably the single greatest experience I've ever had at a concert.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Thu May 22, 2008 1:00 am UTC

DT with Opeth?
I've seen both of them live. In fact, I saw both of them with Megadeth at consecutive Gigantours. Seems like a strange combination of bands, especially with BTBAM. I imagine Opeth and, especially, Between the Buried and Me would turn off a lot of Dream Theater fans who don't like death metal.

I was planning on seeing that tour when they went to Atlanta, but it kinda fell through. I understand your point of view when speaking about BTBAM, but DT and Opeth, strange? I don't really get that, but it may be because I regularly listen to both of them.

On topic, I woke up 11 a.m. sunday morning to a few friends offering me a ticket to see Radiohead and Liars in Dallas, that afternoon, five-ish hours away.
Needless to say, it was an excellent event.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 22, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Aethernox wrote:
DT with Opeth?

I was planning on seeing that tour when they went to Atlanta, but it kinda fell through. I understand your point of view when speaking about BTBAM, but DT and Opeth, strange? I don't really get that, but it may be because I regularly listen to both of them.

I've listened to the full discography of both of them more times than I can count, so I can understand liking both of them (though I'm not too fond of DT's most recent releases). It's just that they seem to occupy opposite ends of the progressive metal spectrum in a way that I can easily imagine someone loving one and hating the other.

Return to “Music”