Personalized Book Recommendations

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Clerria

Personalized Book Recommendations

Postby Clerria » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

I've only read a very small number of authors who I love so much that I would re-read their books multiple times, just to enjoy it. I occasionally browse through book websites and recommendation sites to see if I can ever find decent recommendations, but I NEVER have. I think it has to be more personal, and more word of mouth recommendations. Those always turn out the best.

So for me (and the rest of you) I would like to know, based on the following 2 authors that I love, if you have read their works and have another author or book in mind that I would like, please offer a recommendation:

Jonathan Franzen (fiction/postmodern/genius)
Haruki Murakami (fiction/postmodern/genius)

Both authors above are extremely different but I suppose I just figured out what they have in common. Any suggestions for new authors to fall in love with?

If your suggestions fall short of perfect I may hold a grudge, but don't let that scare you.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

House of Leaves- Mark Z. Danielewski- [Fiction/Postmodernism/Genius (questionable)]
Gravity's Rainbow- Thomas Pynchon [Fiction/Postmodernism/???]

With both of these books, they will either be the best books you have ever read or complete and utter shit. I'm not sure why either camp things the way they do, but I'm on the "damn good" side. Also, I'm not going to explain what either of these are about. You can't. Trying to write a synopsis about these books would not even scratch the surface, it would be like saying "The novel and movie, 'Fight Club' are about the process of soap making."
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

Awesome, I really appreciate it : )

I actually own Gravity's Rainbow but I haven't been able to get more than a few pages in. If I'm not in a focused frame of mind, I can't keep reading it. I WANT to love it though. Maybe I'll take another stab at it this weekend.

Good recommendations. And because I approved of at least one, I will try the other as well. Thank you! ( I will not hold a grudge )

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

I actually own Gravity's Rainbow but I haven't been able to get more than a few pages in. If I'm not in a focused frame of mind, I can't keep reading it. I WANT to love it though. Maybe I'll take another stab at it this weekend.

House of leaves is very much the same way. It's dense, and confusing, and you really have to be focused to get much from it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

House of leaves is very much the same way. It's dense, and confusing, and you really have to be focused to get much from it.
Yeah I'm actually starting to think Danielewski straight-up ripped a lot of his style from Pynchon. He does it well, but the two books are astoundingly alike.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:15 pm UTC

Neal Stephenson. If you have five minutes every so often, Snow Crash.

If you liked that, The Diamond Age.

Then, Cryptonomicon.

Read the Baroque Trilogy when you are so addicted you will sell your organs to buy the books.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

gmedina

Postby gmedina » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:13 am UTC

José Lezama Lima's Paradiso.

OP wrote:Jonathan Franzen (fiction/postmodern/genius)
Haruki Murakami (fiction/postmodern/genius)

Both authors above are extremely different but I suppose I just figured out what they have in common...

I bet you did.
In Memoriam

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:01 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Neal Stephenson. If you have five minutes every so often, Snow Crash.

If you liked that, The Diamond Age.

Then, Cryptonomicon.

Read the Baroque Trilogy when you are so addicted you will sell your organs to buy the books.

What about Zodiac by him? I read Snow Crash and really liked it, so Iv got Zodiac on the way... I kinda just picked another one at random. Is it any good? It better be!
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

I_Ate_My_Children

Postby I_Ate_My_Children » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

I've read Murakami (and liked him, a lot), but never even heard of Franzen (but that's probably just because he hasn't been translated to my language). I would recommend Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro and, particularly if you like the honest and blunt manner of Murakami when writing on relationships: Intimacy by Hanif Kureishi

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:31 am UTC

Pebbles wrote:What about Zodiac by him? I read Snow Crash and really liked it, so Iv got Zodiac on the way... I kinda just picked another one at random. Is it any good? It better be!

Zodiac's my fave of his. It's more fun once you've lived in the Boston area though :)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

I haven't read that one. It's probably good too. :D
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “Books”