the most epic book debate ever conceived (Bookmarks)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Well, which

Dog Ears!
32%
Bookmarks of course...
61%
I use my web browser for bookmarks, where's the dog ear option in firefox?
3%
I R ilitrat
4%

Total votes: 376

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Question: Bookmarks

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 am UTC

Read a lot of tearjerkers there, Hodge?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mystify

Postby Mystify » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:07 am UTC

I prefer the little metal bookmark I bought that has asian lettering that I've long since forgotten which language and exactly what I said. Something about an ocean of knowledge?

If I don't have that one to hand, or it's currently in a different book, I tend to use those small post it notes, the ones that are about an inch by an inch and a half. They stick to the pages, so they're unlikely to fall out.

M
You're eternally wild with the power
To make every moment come alive

yukari koizumi

Re: the most epic book debate ever conceived

Postby yukari koizumi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Alisto wrote:Bending pages? I consider that a sin.

I always lose bookmarks, so I just use scraps of paper to hold my spot. That or I'll leave the book open, pages down, on a table. But usually the random pieces of paper.

I do the same thing because bookmarks I tend to just lose usually, or I just dont have a bookmark available to me at the time and I really dont care what I use to mark where I am in the book.

I have and occaisionally use a bookmark though usually one I made and laminated myself though.

I don't understand how others can dogear it though, I think its just that little crease it leaves .... it drives me up the wall. :evil:

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 am UTC

movie stubbs. mainly because i always have them laying around.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 am UTC

There is already a thread for this discussion.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

CivilDefense700

Re: the most epic book debate ever conceived

Postby CivilDefense700 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I read alot of vintage and antique books, so I believe dog earing them is a crime aginst history and it reduces thier value.

I have quite a few pieces of old silk ribbon I like to use as bookmarks, thier clean, thin so they din't damage the binding, and won't discolor the pages. They also are fun to pull through your fingers while reading. OOOOh Silky Smooth!
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Depends on the book. If it's mine or an establishment's, I dog ear the hell out of it. If it's a friends, I just memorize the number...
don't plow that beautiful field!

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:08 am UTC

I just use a receipt or old envelope or folded over post-it note. Basically something flexible and smaller than my book that is in the detritus around my computer area.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

If it is one of my paperbacks, I dog ear the page. My favorite books have been re-read so many times nearly every page has a dog ear crease or two in it.

If it is a hardcover, or a borrowed book I use whatever is handy. Lately they have mostly been a folded over post-it note, since my work desk always has a few used ones around.
If it is a hardcover with a dust jacket I tuck the dust jacket flap into the page as a bookmark.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
VTHodge wrote:A tissue, more often than not.

Nope . . . just explicit romance novels.

GET IT?!

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
VTHodge wrote:A tissue, more often than not.

Nope . . . just explicit romance novels.

Note to self, never borrow a book from Hodge.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

K.Raven

Re: the most epic book debate ever conceived (Bookmarks)

Postby K.Raven » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

ooh most definitely bookmark, but usually that bookmark is an old post-it, corner of paper, toilet tissue (unused of course), or other various paper-like items. tho some of the less paper bookmarks have included: paperclip, staple art (staples linked together), chocolate wrapper, straw, tape folded over on itself, pens, pencils, and the stick of a very good lollipop that i was also saving because it had a joke on it.

my fiancee dog ears things, drives me nuts!
visit us at stoopidhoomans dot com
(my avatar came from somewhere on the net, if you know, please tell me so i can credit it)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I used to tear the covers off some of the goofier sci-fi books I read.

It'd be fun to do a performance piece similar to what Navidson did with the book, whereas you read a page outloud and then burn it. Or design a book that can only be read once, and each time you turn a page it becomes destroyed.

I mean, I really hope that doesn't become the norm, but its still fun.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Teut

Postby Teut » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

Depends on where I am reading them. If I'm at home, I just leave them pages down, unless it's a really thick book, in which case I improvise a bookmark. If it's my Work Book (read during lunchtimes), I have to use some sort of bookmark because I keep it in a small locker and thus can't place it face down. I've never dog-eared. It's not that I don't want to ruin the books, just that I never got into the habit.

swik

Postby swik » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Yeah neither, I just shut the book and when I come back to it I'm usually able to flip to exactly the page I was at, or within 2-3 pages. Only time it's not successful is if it's been a REALLY long time since I last was reading the book, but then it's actually a good thing that I reread some of the more recent pages just to kind of get back into the flow of things.

You just have to rawdog it.

Muchtar

Postby Muchtar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:03 am UTC

quickly finding where I was is a skill i've learnt
sometimes re-read a few paragraphs by accident, though

judestones

Postby judestones » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I usually dog-ear. But if a book-mark like object runs into my hand when I need one I'll use that. I usually don't memorize a page becuase I'm usually reading more than one book at a time, or I put down the book to do something that I'm now late for becuase I was reading. My favorite way to keep my page is to fall asleep while reading and let the book rest open on my face. Blocks the light nicely.

karmiclube
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby karmiclube » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

to be honest, i both bookmark AND dog-ear, depending on if a bookmark-like scrap of paper is handy. mostly i dog-ear, though.
Spoiler:

BatmanAoD

Postby BatmanAoD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

I voted bookmarks simply because I do occasionally use bookmarks, while I almost never use dog-ears. Most of the time, however, I don't use anything.

I figure that if I'm not interested enough in a book to remember where I am without the aid of a bookmark (I can usually find it fairly quickly anyway), then I should probably just pick a different book to read.

This is a large part of the reason that I failed to finish Steinbecks Journal of a Novel (written while he was writing East of Eden, my favorite book--it has a lot of information about his personal life and got very repetitive, so sometimes I would think I was in one place in the book and then realize I had skipped a couple sections, so eventually I just gave up).
V for Vendetta, the movie, paraphrasing Emma Goldman wrote:A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.

Terror Island, Exit Music (google "keaner"), and Copper are all webcomics worth checking out.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Picking out a fusty, yellowed tome is always wonderful because I know it's going to produce an disremembered shred of paper that seemed inconsequential enough at the time to use as a temporary bookmark, but you never finished the story. The forgotten bookmark with a once-important phone number on it. The envelope with an address you forgot existed. A corner of an old sketch that you were actually once proud of, but the graphite has faded. A shopping list with surprisingly low prices. A to-do list of non-essential chores. The handwriting of a deceased relative, or an old girlfriend who would always draw a flower in the margin, and circle the dot of every i.

Sometimes finding a bygone bookmark is more enchanting than immersing yourself in the abandoned book itself.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Hey Felstaff, man, that was really lovely. And very true.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 am UTC

you need another option of there
I just memorize the page number

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Sometimes finding a bygone bookmark is more enchanting than immersing yourself in the abandoned book itself.
Or if, like me, you use money to mark your place, bygone bookmarks can be worth more than the books they are in.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 am UTC

JayDee wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Sometimes finding a bygone bookmark is more enchanting than immersing yourself in the abandoned book itself.
Or if, like me, you use money to mark your place, bygone bookmarks can be worth more than the books they are in.
Yes, I had a housemate whose Piggy Bank was his encyclopædia. To prove how little he used it, he completely forgot about the fact a lot of money was in there. I asked to borrow it, and took it to the uni library. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and several £20, £10, and £5 notes slipped calmly out from various pages and fluttered to the ground. I was far too honest not to tell him, but not honest enough, as I bought a hearty lunch with a portion of my new-found haul.
nevskey1 wrote:Hey Felstaff, man, that was really lovely. And very true.
Awww. I was in a poetic mood when I wrote that.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ian

Postby ian » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

bookmark (which is generally whatever i have handy rather than an actual bookmark)

dogears for me are for pages which i want to mark so i can come back to later

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Similar experience, but less bygone enchantment, and more oddness.

I borrowed the Endymion Omnibus from a friend who is a staunch atheist, and to my surprise I found a bookmark in pastel colours, with a cute little birdie and squirrel and a bible verse on it. I gave him a few odd looks after that.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Unicyclist wrote:Depends on the book. If it's mine or an establishment's, I dog ear the hell out of it. If it's a friends, I just memorize the number...

I know this is really late, but it's really rude to destroy a book that doesn't belong to you. Other people like to use library books too, without having the pages stuck together or corners ripped off. You should treat a book that belongs to an establishment the same way you'd treat a book that belongs to a friend- you never know who's going to read it next. Plus, if you destroy the book you borrowed, the people who borrow it after you have to pay when the pages tear or the covers fall off. (once had to pay a fine because the person who borrowed the book before me at the library had torn a bunch of pages, and the person at the original check-in desk didn't notice)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I borrowed the Endymion Omnibus from a friend who is a staunch atheist, and to my surprise I found a bookmark in pastel colours, with a cute little birdie and squirrel and a bible verse on it. I gave him a few odd looks after that.

So.. are his parents religious? Siblings? Maybe dude just doesn't mind free bookmarks? I mean.. most atheists I know aren't complete assholes about it and have no problem with various religious thingamajiggies.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote: I mean.. most atheists I know aren't complete assholes about it and have no problem with various religious thingamajiggies.

Yeah, but he is, and does. I think he lent it to another friend before lending it to me. Still funny.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I personally use bookmarks, but not necessarily bookmarks that are supposed to be bookmarks.

Over the course of my existence, I have used playing cards, scraps of paper, other books, pieces of string, pennies, sticks, drinking straws, napkins, nail files, leaves, flowers, magazines, those little cars inside magazine, pieces of wire, pencils, high lighters, markers, schedules, and one rather sedentary cat.
I can kill you with my brain.

Troz

Postby Troz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:40 am UTC

I used to use bookmarks or anything else handy that would work. I never folded the corner, that has just always seemed wrong to me. Now I just remember the page or chapter number. If I can't remember it exactly it usually only take me a few seconds to find my place anyway.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fenix

Postby Fenix » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:09 am UTC

This may be considered advertising, and, if so, my sincere apologies, but considering the topic, it seemed really timely and utterly relevant. There is this great little company who makes page markers that are slim, easy to re-use, and notable (you can write on them). They're called BookDarts and since I've discovered them, my entire library is safe from dog-ear pages as well as from page mangling or re-shaping by bookmarks.

I won't post the link since I'm not sure it would be appropriate... but if you google BookDarts, you will find them easily.

Enjoy!
History is a ghost and the future, a child unborn.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:28 am UTC

I take a sheet of notebook paper and fold it a few times into a rectangular bookmark that I can later use to make notes on. :mrgreen:

master_tonberry

Postby master_tonberry » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Dog ears!

Somehow I just can't get the hang of bookmarks.......does that make me a pathetic shell of a man?
"Fear the Doink!"

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Yes. Yes it does.

I use bookmarks. I cannot abide the folding of pages.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

I'll say it again: dog-earing=EVIL.

After having two bookmarks fragment and disintegrate (I use bookmarks to fidget. It's hard on them), I now craft my own bookmarks by cutting out a bookmark-sized piece of paper. They last pretty long, and works surprisingly well.
I've also got a really nice leather bookmark from Skerries Mill in Ireland, which I got when I was six (best vacation ever), but that's more sentimental than useful, and i don't really use it except when I'm rereading Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

EDIT: Things I've found in books:
a glasses-cleaner fabric thingy, which I kept. (I wish I hadn't lost it. it worked amazingly well)
a photograph (they looked happy)
maybe... 1000 (old) Turkish Lira (which would have been awesome if a dollar wasn't worth more than a billion Turkish lira)

watchayakan

Postby watchayakan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

Neither.

I just remember where I left off.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Tear the corner off each page as you finish with it. Bonus: easy to find your place, even in the dark. Oddity: what the hell are you doing reading in the dark? Problem: read the book more than twice and things start to get a little difficult, so resort to other methods, like tearing off little chunks along the edge, or adding staples.

I kid, I kid.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Handsome

Postby Handsome » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

I'm just so anal retentive and OCD that I can't bring myself to crease a page on purpose. So I use bookmarks*.

*"Bookmark" being defined as anything that comes to hand, usually the checkout receipts from the library.
I eat yellow snow
Cones, that is. Not yellow snow
Well, not normally.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:40 am UTC

Kabann wrote:Tear the corner off each page as you finish with it. Bonus: easy to find your place, even in the dark. Oddity: what the hell are you doing reading in the dark? Problem: read the book more than twice and things start to get a little difficult, so resort to other methods, like tearing off little chunks along the edge, or adding staples.

There should really be a "look of utter horror" emoticon.

Return to “Books”