the most epic book debate ever conceived (Bookmarks)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Well, which

Dog Ears!
32%
Bookmarks of course...
61%
I use my web browser for bookmarks, where's the dog ear option in firefox?
3%
I R ilitrat
4%

Total votes: 376

omega

Re: What (physical) bookmarks do you use and recommend?

Postby omega » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Montrose wrote:I really like the books that come with a ribbon attached to the spine. It looks neat and sophisticated and you can't lose it.

Quite true. When I get a book with one of these ribbons, I use that; otherwise I just use whatever piece of paper lies around, or I remember the page number when I can't find one in time.
I've got one cute bookmark I picked up in the bookstore with a kitten photo, but I don't get to use it much because my roommate keeps using it.

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Well, since I'm too damn poor to buy books (*Sob*), I usually just use the "bring this book back by this date or we'll eat your firstborn" cards the librarian sticks in my library book.

Or, having lost that card to the micro black holes in my room, or rendering it unuseable by having it slip from the pages onto the floor of my shower (Oh come on, like you don't read in the shower/bath...), I usually just stick a hairtie from my wrist into the pages. It keeps the page just fine, and if I ever need to put my hair in a ponytail, well, how convienent!

@ existential_elevator: Fortune-telling fish.... oh...my...gawd.... thank you for promtping a childhood memory gigglefit. I haven't even heard of those for at LEAST ten years, let alone seen one. Homigawd. Epic win.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:@ existential_elevator: Fortune-telling fish.... oh...my...gawd.... thank you for promtping a childhood memory gigglefit. I haven't even heard of those for at LEAST ten years, let alone seen one. Homigawd. Epic win.

~laughs~ I found a place a while back that sells them in bulk, and put one in everyone's Christmas card. It made for a very entertaining [and distracting] day. And, well, the leftovers make good bookmarks, what more to be said? :D

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I just looked online, and I can buy one for $0.10, but gawd knows how much shipping would be. Probably 3,000 times the price of the fish... blah. I'll have to keep an eye out for them around here. :D I bet they would make killer bookmarks, though I'd probably take it out to play with it too many times to make it particularly effective, haha.

Hmm.. other than that, to keep the thread on track... I have a bookmark with the One Ring from LotR on the end of the tassel, and it's actually my ring size, so if I'm using that, the bookmark is probably hanging from my finger while I'm reading (pretending to be invisible). And I have one of Curious George in a space suit. Best monkey astronaut bookmark ever. :D It's got a quote from the story on it, but it's upstairs on one of my bookshelves and I'm too lazy to get up and get it.

....no, wait, that's pathetic. Hold on...

Here we go. It's from "Curious George Gets a Medal".

A small space ship has been built by our experimental station. It is too small for a man but could carry a little monkey. Would you be willing to go up in it?

I actually bought that one to use when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, because I got the book a week late [Circumstances out of my control, I missed the premiere] and the bookstore didn't have any HP bookmarks left. But a new book of epic proportions deserves a real bookmark rather than a library datecard or a hairtie.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Spoiler:

Droffats

Postby Droffats » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

A friend of mine used the ripped off corner of a standardized test photocopy, "Go on to next page". It really actually kept him from putting the book down.
"I'm glad you took the time to come all the way out here... but 'seal of approval' isn't an actual position." - TPD

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Droffats wrote:A friend of mine used the ripped off corner of a standardized test photocopy, "Go on to next page". It really actually kept him from putting the book down.

That..is..awesome. I wish I'd thought of that before... I could probably dig up an old SAT or something and snag one of those...

Great idea. :D

Spoiler:

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:
Droffats wrote:A friend of mine used the ripped off corner of a standardized test photocopy, "Go on to next page". It really actually kept him from putting the book down.

That..is..awesome. I wish I'd thought of that before... I could probably dig up an old SAT or something and snag one of those...

Great idea. :D

Verily, thine notion possesses great quantities of epic win.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

If I'd thought or heard of that before, I totally could have used that for my college English and Civ classes. Good lord, the stuff we had to read for those... at least if my bookmark was telling me to go to the next page, I might have stood a chance at getting through all of them without resorting to CliffsNotes. (One and ONLY time I've ever done that in my academic career... but I'm sorry, stuff like "Notes From Underground" can bite my shiny metal ass.

Spoiler:

dustundersofa

Postby dustundersofa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:06 am UTC

I always lose bookmarks. This often means losing scraps of useful school notes, metrocards, and whatever else I might use.
Other books, fingers, and pillows work pretty well for a short time. I don't lose those :)
ImageImage

mohini

Postby mohini » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

I had a friend in school who would always steal my bookmarks from my books, like he was funny, so now I always just make a point of remembering where I was in a given book. Its not a crazy brain luck-out or anything, it's something that I learned, through way more practice than anyone should have to put up with. Thanks, Mike. You jerk.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Jeeze, that's a really uncool thing of MIke to do. =/ Though I've found that if my bookmark falls out (Because, like dustundersofa, I've been known to use pillows and my fingers too), the book usually opens to the page I had it last on if I open it casually enough. It just tends to fall open to the right area, if not the exact page.

*shrug* Never really thought about it, but I've always been thankful for it...

Spoiler:

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

When I was younger (even though I read few books at the time), I always made my own bookmarks.

You get one of those SpaceMaker hard plastic pencil cases and, depending on what you want the bookmark to look like, you color on the little rectangle on the the top of the box (with markers, usually) that says SpaceMaker. Then you just get a bottle of Elmer's glue and fill the rectangle with it. When it dries, it ought to have taken the color of the markers and it's a flexible, perfectly sized bookmark.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

MirrorWing

Re: the most epic book debate ever conceived (Bookmarks)

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

And thusly, we have thread splice.

At the moment, I'm actually using a bright green feather that I found on one of the neighbors' driveways as a bookmark. It is spiffy, and far better at keeping my page than the last thing I was using, which was the tag to a bracelet I bought from Claires' on the 4th of July.

Didn't have the oppourtunity to use a library book card because I actually bought this book. (GASPS OF SHOCK AND HORROR). Found it in Goodwill yesterday while trying to find a bicycle for my roommate for a dollar, and it is epic. (The 8th book in the Everworld series, which was the series I was reading when I moved from NY to FL. Last book I took out of the Jericho public library and first book I took out of the Melbourne public library. I don't care if it's smack dab in the middle of the series, it is still full of epic win and thusly worth the $0.99 I paid for it.)

...of course, now I'm probably going to catch tropical pandemic avian flu disease, but whatever. It's still a pretty feather and a nifty bookmark.

Spoiler:

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:17 am UTC

I uses small pieces of paper as bookmarks. My books all look like they're new after I've read them, so the idea of bending back the pages (even a slanted or curved spine freaks me out) is something that actually scares me. I don't even like traveling with books because I'm afraid the corners will get bend out or scraped up in whatever I pack them in.

Hardback books with their own ribbon bookmark (especially the copy of The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide) are amazing. You can't lose the bookmark, and they're travel-friendly.
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

@ GyRo567: Well, I guess that since most of my books come from the library, worrying about a curved spine is pretty pointless. But even for the books I DO buy, while I try not to utterly destroy them, I can't help but think that stuff like creased spines and bent corners give the book character. Shows they've been read and enjoyed.

Spoiler:

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:I can't help but think that stuff like creased spines and bent corners give the book character. Shows they've been read and enjoyed.

Creased spines, yes. Bent corners, nooooooooo!

But then, I've always bought a lot of books second hand, so condition is something I fuss over a bit. Bent pages tear over time as the paper gets more brittle. :(
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Some of my books do look like they've been read once or twice, and almost all of them have been enjoyed. I just like to enjoy the content and the perfect condition. Besides, if I ever destroyed a book, I could just get another copy.
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever used dogears, nor bookmarks. I just use scraps of paper. If the book has a jacket, i tend to fold that over the cover and stick it in the page I'm on. If its a relatively short pause in my reading (maybe up to an hour), I'll keep my finger in the page and lightly close the book over on it.
Magnanimous wrote:I used to be really into nostalgia a few years ago. Man, those were the days.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

HarleyQuinn wrote:If the book has a jacket, i tend to fold that over the cover and stick it in the page I'm on.

Ooh, I forgot about that... yeah, if the book has a jacket, forget any kind of bookmark, that's it. It's convienent and damn near impossible to lose.

Spoiler:

link6616

Postby link6616 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Receipts are my book marks......

Although I used my ticket to wicked as my book mark for the book wicked

Invertebrate

Postby Invertebrate » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

I have several proper bookmarks, but some of them are those ones that mangle the top of a page. Mostly I use a slip of paper or a Post-it, which I stick throughout the book as I go through. But I've got a bookmark called a 'bookbug,' which is a little yellow and black critter on a long leather cord. The bug goes at the top as an easy indicator, the cord is in the book. At the moment it is 69 pages into Ulysses...I got sidetracked when I bought 'Writing Home,' by Alan Bennett.
'Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens.'
~ Gimli.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

When I was a kid, I always dog-eared pages. Now I book mark...but only with bus transfers, or other scraps of stuff that is not originally intended to be a book mark. (Receipts, napkins, post its)
Rice Puddin.

Clockwork_Golem

Postby Clockwork_Golem » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

I usually just remember the page number but sometimes I'll have a scrap of paper with any quotes I liked, or relevant points if I'm reading it for college.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

I use whatever's nearest for a bookmark. Like unused kleenex, broken bracelets, the label from a water bottle, tracts from church, old homework, library due-date cards.....
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am UTC

If it's my own paperback book, I'll dogear it. If its hardback or someone elses book, I use a bookmark, usually an envelope of folded piece of computer paper. It needs to be big so I don't lose it. Or, third option, if a hardback has the ribbon in it, I love to use those.
I like my books dogeared and creased, I think it gives it personality and looks like its been enjoyed.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

I use neither, I just remember the page.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I can't remember the page, I'd get confused.
My bookmark changes, I finish a book and tend to leave it in the front and get a new bookmark per book.
Currently it's both halves of a broken set square and the folded up notes from a letter I sent someone.
Ⓞⓞ◯

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

On softcovers, I just dog-ear it. Hardcovers I use a bookmark.

kitsune9

Postby kitsune9 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am UTC

All bookmarks should be unlaminated and of a gauge thin enough to make a serviceable roach.
On this i stand firm.

although sometimes i just use another book, each retaining the relevant page in the other...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:23 am UTC

Your books engage in tribadism then.

That's pretty hot.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

Because I enjoy reading to/from work, I tend to go for pocket sized softcovers.. and they don't look very good once I'm done reading them, so I go ahead and dog ear away right from the start.
Oh, and I crack the spine intentionally as soon as possible because it's going to happen sooner or later anyway.

I've never read one more than twice, but I've got a feeling they'd fall apart halfway through the third read..

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Bookmarks... they just seem more civilized.

I... I dogeared a book, once. It was horrible. It's never been the same, since. All creased like it is.

Valarauka

Postby Valarauka » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

I used to use bookmarks in Firefox, but with the advent of the FF3 address bar, I don't even need those anymore. AwesomeBar ftw!

What's that? Oh, you meant actual books! Oddly enough, I've never had trouble finding my place in a book just by skimming a few pages back and forth, binary-search style. If it's a particularly dense book I'll just remember the page number. And I utterly abhor dog-earing.
"Ai, ai!" wailed Legolas. "A Balrog! A Balrog is come!"

quantumz

Postby quantumz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

I got into a really bad habit in middle school of chewing on paper like gum (as we were not allowed to have chewing gum...? I really don't know where my head was at the time.)
When I'm reading cheaper paperbacks I tear off the bottom corner (just a little) and chew on it. I can always tell exactly how far into the book I am, although it only works twice, and gets some strange looks from neighbors. :oops:

In books that I care a little more about (hardcovers, textbooks, The Watchmen) I use scrap bookmarks. I always have tons of scrap paper lying around all over my aptmnt and work.
I'm new here, be gentle...

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

quantumz wrote:I tear off the bottom corner (just a little) and chew on it.

AUUGGHHHH. AUGHAUGHAUGHAUGHAUGH. Books are for reading, not for eating!!!

I think I just died a little inside... Dx

Spoiler:

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 am UTC

Yeah, that's pretty terrible. I'm NICE to my books.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 am UTC

quantumz wrote:I got into a really bad habit in middle school of chewing on paper like gum (as we were not allowed to have chewing gum...? I really don't know where my head was at the time.)
When I'm reading cheaper paperbacks I tear off the bottom corner (just a little) and chew on it. I can always tell exactly how far into the book I am, although it only works twice, and gets some strange looks from neighbors. :oops:

In books that I care a little more about (hardcovers, textbooks, The Watchmen) I use scrap bookmarks. I always have tons of scrap paper lying around all over my aptmnt and work.

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.

Cookie for reference.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:04 am UTC

I normally dog ear my books, but some books I use a ribbon bookmark, because the books are printed on really nice paper, and dog earing it would just feel awfull to me.

It's a matter of practicality to me too, whenever I use bookmarks they tend to fall out or I lose them when not reading anything, but when I dog ear something I won't lose it unless I made the dog ear too small, and even then I can normally still find it cause the fold is still there even if it came unfolded.

If I had a nice ribbon to use all the time, and eliminated my tendency to lose such things I'd use them all the time, because ribbons don't slip out, and they don't make the book pages get separated all weirdly like a paper bookmark would.

Return to “Books”