the most epic book debate ever conceived (Bookmarks)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Well, which

Dog Ears!
32%
Bookmarks of course...
61%
I use my web browser for bookmarks, where's the dog ear option in firefox?
3%
I R ilitrat
4%

Total votes: 376

i like pi

Re: the most epic book debate ever conceived

Postby i like pi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

uh... i usually remember the last sentence i read, and then i speed read the general area* until i find it

*usually, i start 3 pages before the last page i think i read.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

My latest bookmark is a dollar note. It's only about 50p, and I can't spend it, so it marks my page.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
JayDee wrote:
Torvaun wrote:I didn't mean that I did two Wheel of Time books in a single session. More that on two separate occasions, I sat down with a Wheel of Time book, and didn't stop until I reached the back cover. Also, I read at a rate that has been called "incredibly fast" and "astounding". Best number I could give the rate would be approximately 100 pages/hour for cohesive material.
Me too! I feel like less of a freak now.
You're like me. That makes you more of a freak.
Okay, I'm still a freak, but less alone. Or something. Less unique. Wait, is that even a good thing?

Um, on topic, I also like to memorise the page number. Only works for fiction that I'm putting down for less than a day or two, though.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:42 am UTC

I definitely bookmark. I really don't like the corners of my books to be turned down. I don't, however, mind dog-earring my textbooks. Odd, I suppose.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:18 am UTC

I use bookmarks. By bookmarks I mean trash of some sort, or pieces of paper.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

pKp wrote:Dog-ears are for real men.
I would like to do this memorizing thingy, but I typically read 3+ books at a time, so...unpractical.

That doesn't make it impractical, it just means you suck at memorizing stuff.

And I still demand a memorize the page poll option!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
pKp wrote:Dog-ears are for real men.
I would like to do this memorizing thingy, but I typically read 3+ books at a time, so...unpractical.

That doesn't make it impractical, it just means you suck at memorizing stuff.

And I still demand a memorize the page poll option!

Why? The OP is probably just memorising how many people mention it.

Loki

Postby Loki » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:20 am UTC

I like to have fancy wooden bookmarks once in a while but they are expensive and I lose them a lot, so I only use bookmarks for books that are not mine cause I couldn't bring myself to ruin someone else's book haha. On the other hand, if I bought the book you can be sure I'm gonna bend any page I feel like, but I make tiny dog ears anyway so its not a big deal.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:34 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Why? The OP is probably just memorising how many people mention it.

Because, according to this thread, most of the xkcd readers don't memorize stuff.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

I just got this really cool bookmark that was made of wood yet really really thin. I was almost converted until I took it on a plane and dropped my bag. Snap. Yeah, back to dog ears.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:31 am UTC

I never dog ear, I would be upset if anyone ever dog-eared a book of mine.

I voted bookmark just because of my aversion to dog-ears, but unless it's a book I read very sporadically I just remember what page I was on, and I end after chapters if at all possible.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:24 am UTC

I recently changed my bookmark, goodbye dollar note, hello leaflet for the Hard Rock Cafe La Paz.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

tenohsix

Postby tenohsix » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Bookmarks! I used to dog-ear everything...I'm not sure when that changed.
I really like picking out a new bookmark every time I go to the public library, even though I often forget and end up leaving the bookmark inside a book when I return it. I've had to go back and reclaim them from the shelves more than once.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

I think it's some collecting fetish or something with bookmarks that drives people to use em. Why is dog ears so damaging? Maybe in some text book or something (in which case it would have a stronger backing so I'd use a bookmark) but on a junky paperback? The thing's going to rot itself quicker than the pages are going to get bent out of shape don't you think?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:20 am UTC

I lay books face down, spread open to the page I was reading.

People don't usually let me borrow books anymore.
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 am UTC

Bookmarks... usually just a scrap of paper though, like a receipt, or a restraining order or something. I've never noticed any spinal damage to my books caused by the forcible introduction of a stray piece of paper.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Count me in among the people that just remember where they left off. I don't necessarily memorize the page number, but rather where the page that I had been reading was located in the book and what was going on in the story at that point in time.

xkcd_n00bz

Postby xkcd_n00bz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:My latest bookmark is a dollar note. It's only about 50p, and I can't spend it, so it marks my page.

I do the same thing. Used a dollar bill ever since I was old enough to start reading books I couldn't finish in one sitting.
I am +20 dB hot.

wittyknee

Postby wittyknee » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:25 am UTC

I don't like dog ears because when you reread a book, you get all lost with the multiple tabs. I use things that mean a lot to me--not something like a credit card or birth certificate but more like a picture. My bookmark right now is a postcard written to me from a dear friend in Norway.

See what I mean? I wouldn't dare lose it like a meaningless bookmark from a store; or damage a book.

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Ess

Postby Ess » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

I used to dog ear my books, but I could never find the page again when I did, and my mother yelled at me. Now, I always use a Post-It folded in half (so the sticky stuff doesn't take the ink off the page).

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:27 am UTC

I usually use scraps of paper to bookmark my books. I would never dog-ear my books. I re-read a lot and I hate having to fiddle with dirty bent corners on pages. If I find a worn, heavily dog-eared book in a used book store, I never think 'This book was loved and re-read', I think 'This book was owned by someone who doesn't know how to treat books'.

When I was young, I was guilty of dog-earing, and even of leaving my books on the bathroom floor (never could take a bath without a book). I stopped doing that when several of my favorite books fell apart at the seams. I can't say I give my books kid glove treatment, but the books are still intact if I lend them out. The only exception of my recent books is a crappy paperback copy of 'Gone With the Wind'. One day in my purse, and the cover almost tore off. Then again, books that are over 1000 pages don't really work as paperbacks- there's no way to not break the spine.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I usually dogear my books, except for text books. I dunno but i just cant bring myself to.

I don't leave the pages dogeared though, that would be bad. When i pick it up agian i always un-fold it.
*waggles eyebrows*

wubrgamer

Question: Bookmarks

Postby wubrgamer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:50 am UTC

What's your favorite kind of bookmark ?

Store-bought ? Hand-made ?

Just memorize the page number ?

Or do you just use your ebook's last-line feature ?

Kithplana

Re: Question: Bookmarks

Postby Kithplana » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Ebook: I wish. Kindle = want.

I use a Real Bookmark if one's available. If not, I use whatever random useless piece of paper is at hand. Kleenex has done the job a time or two.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:55 am UTC

I CAN HAZ POLL PLZ?

But seriously, this all but requires one. Anyhow, I just dog-ear.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

wubrgamer

Postby wubrgamer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:58 am UTC

*glares* DOG EARS !

Gladjaframpf

Postby Gladjaframpf » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:59 am UTC

I haven't used bookmarks in years, but when I did I always used a library receipt. Not just any library receipt would do, though - it had to be my special library receipt bookmark, which was wrinkled and tattered from overuse. It started falling apart after a while, so I taped it back together. Then I completely covered it in tape to prevent further damage. I think I still have it somewhere.

These days, I'm actually not entirely sure how I remember where I was in the book. I don't memorize the specific page number, but I think I kind of remember generally where I was in the book along with what was going on. It doesn't seem like a very reliable system, but I always seem to be able to flip through and find my place quickly enough.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:59 am UTC

wubrgamer wrote:*glares* DOG EARS !

The best books have dog ears and food stains. And the occasional tears. And are probably coverless.

Me, I memorize the page number.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Gladjaframpf wrote:I don't memorize the specific page number, but I think I kind of remember generally where I was in the book along with what was going on. It doesn't seem like a very reliable system, but I always seem to be able to flip through and find my place quickly enough.
I do that too. Or, if it's a sturdy book I don't care much about, I leave it upside-down and open on my bedroom floor.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:21 am UTC

My favourite type of bookmarks are the speed dial ones in Opera, or the ones you can apply nicknames to. If I was actually reading a physical book though, as if i was from the stone age or something, i'd just use whatever piece of paper that's lying around, tear a bit off, and stick it in. I find it a bit silly buying something as simple as a bookmark when its purpose is so basic, and free alternatives are readily available. They look nicer than a torn old bit of paper though, granted.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 am UTC

a p2 cele slot processor

Oort

Postby Oort » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:52 am UTC

Free bookmarks featuring comic book and movie characters which are very different on the two sides.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Whatever's lying around: paper, tissue, supposedly Einstien used a $1500 cheque (and then lost the book).

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:28 am UTC

I use those little security tags they stick on the inside of the book. They're thick, so I'll never lose track of them. They stick to the pages, so they won't fall out, and they're easy to peel off. Lastly, they come free with the book.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 am UTC

The paper slips from fortune cookies are truly the best bookmarks. They are narrow enough that they won't cover any text so you don't have to move them when you resume reading, but big enough that they won't slip out of the book or disappear mysteriously. Plus they dispense wisdom in highly concentrated doses.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:55 am UTC

I take the train when I go home, and always wind up with a couple ticket stubs per trip - one for each leg. I also do a lot of reading on this 11-hour train ride. I do what's logical.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 am UTC

I tend to use the same small piece of paper every time. One side says "hatman172" and the other side has just a string of numbers on it, can't remember what they mean, if anything.

Though sometimes if my paper isn't to hand I'll just remember what page I'm on.
I have used a spoon with a long handle when nothing else was near. (Well, I couldn't be bothered to get up and I had just eaten a yoghurt....I did clean the spoon though)

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

A good read will be battered when finished. Books are sacred pools of blissful enjoyment, and I am going to break the spine and get good and comfy with it.
Dog ear.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

I generally just leave my book open upside down, or use my boarding pass if I'm flying.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

A tissue, more often than not.

Return to “Books”