Books that made you cry

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Books that made you cry

Postby parkaboy » Sun May 04, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Rowsdower wrote:I'm not in the habit of crying over books, but I finished "Phantom of the Opera" last night. I was practically bawling when:

Spoiler:
When Erik tells the Persian how Christine lets him kiss her on the forehead, and weeps over him, and how his mother never let him kiss her. And when she kisses him on the forehead, and then leaves him all alone and he dies.

Count of Monte Cristo nearly got me, like at the meetings between Mercedes and Edmund.

both of these killed me at the exact same places.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

Molly Millions wrote:I think the only book that ever made me cry, full-out, without anything else going on in my life that would make me prone to tears, was The Return of the King, after I finished it for the first time when I was twelve.

I felt so bad for Frodo. I thought he'd been poorly used and hadn't really gotten any satisfaction from his journey and sacrifice. He basically went from a fairly naive, happy-go-lucky "kid," to someone who was world-weary and ready to pass on to the next world within the span of about a year.

That's seriously messed up if you think about it.

And it's also part of why people keep calling it an allegory to World War II, in spite of Tolkien denouncing that...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun May 04, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

I just remembered that the first and only time I actually *cried* over a book (the other times I'm usually just really gloomy for a few days) was ironically not particularly tragic in retrospect. Since he comes back and all, though I didn't know it then.

Gandalf's death in Fellowship.

If I read the book for the first time now, I think I wouldn't mind. But I was quite young then, and Gandalf was my favorite character (better even than Frodo in a way.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

æðelingas_lufiend

Postby æðelingas_lufiend » Mon May 05, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Patricia Nell Warren's The Front Runner. Multiple times.That's what happens the first time you read a romance that you can identify with.

Molly Millions

Postby Molly Millions » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:And it's also part of why people keep calling it an allegory to World War II, in spite of Tolkien denouncing that...

I don't think it really matters whether he denounced it or not. Even if it wasn't conscious the war could have (would have) affected the story. The tone is noticeably different from the Hobbit, which was written quite a bit before the war, despite the fact that the Lord of the Rings was originally intended to simply be a sequel to the Hobbit.

Arancaytar wrote:Gandalf's death in Fellowship.

If I read the book for the first time now, I think I wouldn't mind. But I was quite young then, and Gandalf was my favorite character (better even than Frodo in a way.)

Gandalf has always been my favorite character (despite my feeling bad over Frodo I never really liked him much as a character), but I don't think I ever believed he'd be gone for good, even after he disappeared in the Fellowship.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Mon May 05, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Certhas wrote:Sucker for the epic stuff. There are two passages in LotR that make my eyes water:

Spoiler:
Ride now! Ride to Ruin!

Much more so in the book though, aside: Why are the forces of good so much more hapless weak and reliant on luck in the film?!):

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

and

Spoiler:
The grey havens at the end. Frodo leaving Middle Earth. So sad and beautiful! I can not enjoy what I saved because to save it I had to grow beyond it, and now I stand apart from it and all that is left for me is to depart. *sob*

I first read LOtR when I was ten, and the Grey Havens made me cry for, like hours. I used to be quite emotional. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe did it for me when
Spoiler:
Aslan died
. Of course, I was about 6 at the time. And at that age, I cried over practically everything. Then I hit teenagerhood, and became cynical.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

directionless_goals

Postby directionless_goals » Mon May 05, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

I have to say when I was younger "The Giver" did it for me...

Don't know why... it was just so sad to see someone astrocized because he could see the beauty and the ugliness of life.
Opposites may attract, but inverses and reciprocals make Unity.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

directionless_goals wrote:I have to say when I was younger "The Giver" did it for me...

Don't know why... it was just so sad to see someone astrocized because he could see the beauty and the ugliness of life.

That's a great book. It didn't make me cry....I just flipped the book back to page one and started again.

Skeedish

Postby Skeedish » Mon May 12, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Spud by John van de Ruit

Spoiler:
I cried when Gecko died. I felt miserable for hours.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon May 12, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

I must admit I cried the first time I read LOTR and thought Frodo died. I almost stopped reading, but I'm glad I kept going.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Tue May 13, 2008 3:52 am UTC

At the end of Dragons of a Summer Flame
Spoiler:
When Tasslehoff died, at the end, to save /everything/. Without any concern for himself, just to save his friends.
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Mr wimmer

Postby Mr wimmer » Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 am UTC

the house of god
Spoiler:
when Roy makes the statement about killing his grandfather with such relative ease, it really jerked my perceptions of his sanity out from under me

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sat May 31, 2008 7:54 am UTC

Where The Red Fern Grows- Rather embarrassing, I was in fourth grade when the teacher read that to us, I was bawling at the end
Spoiler:
When Ann stopped eating, that was what really got me
My Sisters Keeper-
Spoiler:
That scene when Anna's mom had to turn off her life support was heartbreaking D:
Ender's Game- The entire book is heartbreaking
Spoiler:
but it's in the end when Ender has nowhere to go that I cried
The God Eaters-
Spoiler:
When Kai died... but then he came back to life, so it's all good.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sat May 31, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever cried over a non fiction book, but Carl Sagan's works, notably Pale Blue Dot, bought me to the threshold of crying on several occasions.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

tegrenath

Postby tegrenath » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Nyssa wrote:The only book that ever made me cry was Where the Red Fern Grows. But I was nine, so that probably doesn't count.

I definitely remember crying with that book when I was younger. :cry: And to the person who asked, you're definitely not the only one affected by the death of an animal. Depending on your current relationships in life, I think you can almost make a stronger bond with an animal you love when they can't talk back.

harpwner wrote:I read The Five People You Meet In Heaven in one sitting the eve of my grandfather's death. I grew up with my grandfather and his life story (rags to riches cliché) is incredibly inspiring to me.

It was the only book that's ever made me cry.

I can't remember if I cried during that book or not. I'm not religious or even particularly emotional, but that book really was a great. For a relatively short book I think it carried a good message about the connections of people and the importances of one's actions.

Ahlee

Postby Ahlee » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:22 am UTC

At the end of the The Way The Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald, when the author vividly described the rape and murder, I balled for at least twenty minutes.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

fersrs wrote:Ender's Game- The entire book is heartbreaking
Spoiler:
but it's in the end when Ender has nowhere to go that I cried

Indeed. I though I was the only one. Several books in that series made me sniffle (Children of the Mind, and Shadow of the Giant, mostly). But the worst part was that I was in a library when I finished Ender's Game, and realized I was crying. :oops: It's a great book, though, one of my favorites.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Endymion set:
Spoiler:
At the end of the first book, when Aenea pens a letter to Raul about how much she loves him and knows she must leave soon. At the end of the second book, when she's returned after a DEVESTATING twist, and off they fly on Earth, the planet at their fingertips.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

fallenstar

Postby fallenstar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:08 am UTC

First off, I am so not a crier. I usually read too fast for books, and as for movies, the only one I've really cried at was "Schindler's List," and you have to be a freaking stone to not cry during that one.

So, that said, I definitely cried at the end of Watership Down. And also during The Time-Traveler's Wife. Of course at the parking garage and New Year's party parts, but the other part that really got me was my second time through, when
Spoiler:
Henry and Clare are talking about Henry's running, and he says something like if anything ever happened to his feet, you might as well shoot him. Since I already knew the ending, I just about lost it.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Robin S wrote:I know I have cried at a fair few things, but the only thing I can remember off the top of my head is "I Sing the Body Electric!" by Ray Bradbury.
Does that one have Fog Horn in it?
Martian Chronicals has moments too, There Will Come Soft Rains, :cry: I think Fahrenheit 451 did to, but I can't remember anything specific. Although the saddes thing ever is when people don't get it.
spacecase wrote:Wringer by Jerry Spinelli. I was in middle school, and it was like one or two in the morning, but it was the last book that actually brought me to tears. :(

I... I don't think I've ever read anything of his without crying.

CloClo

Postby CloClo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:15 am UTC

JPoon wrote:Call me a sucker, but I have cried every single time I read Chicken Soup for the _____. That being said I'm surprised nobody mentioned this book.

A little late, but those are the only books that have ever made me actually cry. I'll admit that Where the Red Fern Grows, the end of the Amber Spyglass, and Bridge to Terebithia made me sniffle, but those Chicken Soup books have actually made me full out bawl. I think it's something about how you know the stories are actually real, and at least for me, much more emotionally affecting than fiction. Also, since they cover so many different aspects of life, there's always at least one story that so closely mirrors mine I find myself crying before I've even finished.

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 am UTC

Hmmm . . . . I haven't cried at the end of a book for ages, not since I was young . . .

There are, of course, books that leave me feeling depressed, for hours and hours after I read them . . .

First: Harry Potter 7. Just. . . . yeah. What a bloodbath . . . I asked for 3 characters NOT TO DIE. I wanted NOTHING except THOSE THREE CHARACTERS to live . . . 2 of them died. Out of, y'know, about 15 deaths . . .

Second: Choose a Dragonlance book. Any book. Just the simple fact that time passes, and Krynn is never quite the same at the end of the series (if you follow it right down to The Dark Disciple, about as far and direct as you can go). And, of course, the fact that

Spoiler:
the ENTIRE cast dies at one point or another doesn't hurt.

The worst part, though, that almost did make me cry, was

Spoiler:
right after Flint died. The scene was bad enough, but right afterward when Tas was all alone, crying . . .

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Before school got out, I finished Of Mice and Men in class. The only thing that prevented me from crying was the fact that I was surrounded by twenty-six of my peers.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 am UTC

AKAnotu wrote:Before school got out, I finished Of Mice and Men in class. The only thing that prevented me from crying was the fact that I was surrounded by twenty-six of my peers.

Holy God yes. Me and like 10 other people in the class of 30-odd were just sitting there, staring into space, and I'm pretty sure everyone knew that if one person started, everyone would follow.
uhhhh fuck.

well_hung_man

Postby well_hung_man » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Never cried at the end of a book...i m far too macho for that.
i must say the most emoutional i ever became at the end of a book was at the end of captain corelliis mandolin, i know, its constantly slated for being a terrible ending, but for me it was the only way of properly finishing it
awsome book
truely awsome

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

1984 made my eyes well up toward the end, during the torture parts. It's not that I liked Winston (I didn't), but I didn't want him to give in to Big Brother. I wanted him to win.

It's a sad book. But good, all the same.

Sorroth

Postby Sorroth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

I cried at the end of Noughts and Crosses, by Malorie Blackman. The two sequels didn't have the same effect on me, and it's not the sort of thing I usually read, so it was quite unusual for me, but I honestly wept in the final chapter.

I can't remember any other book that really made me cry. Some of the Discworlds have made me cry with laughter, but that's different.
</streamofconsciousness>

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Ok, yeah it is lame, but the part where Flint dies in Dragons of Spring Dawning always got me choked up. I never really cried from reading a book, but that part always makes it hard.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Rowsdower wrote:It's not that I liked Winston (I didn't)

Why?
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 am UTC

nevskey1 wrote:

Why?

I liked Winston, myself, perhaps viewing him in relation to everyone else in the story. But he's not exactly a shining example of heroism. Recall the bit about him wanting to rape Julia and kill her as he orgasmed.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 am UTC

I honestly don't remember that part, but I'll take your word for it and try to look for it on my next read. But I thought the idea was to paint him as just a regular dude, and not as any sort of hero. All he wants is a little human dignity, just the freedom to love the girl he loves, not any massive revolutionary overthrow (though he does get caught up in that), and they won't even give him that much. And that's what made the book so utterly devastating for me.

Wait, was that during the torture scene that he wanted to rape and kill her. Because that's different. I don't think that's who he is, but what he's turned into, reduced to. Sure, you can turn anyone into anything through force and torture, and the novel shows that quite explicitly, but I don't think that's who the person is. And that's why I feel so bad for Winston at the end.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:15 am UTC

nevskey1 wrote:I honestly don't remember that part, but I'll take your word for it and try to look for it on my next read. But I thought the idea was to paint him as just a regular dude, and not as any sort of hero. All he wants is a little human dignity, just the freedom to love the girl he loves, not any massive revolutionary overthrow (though he does get caught up in that), and they won't even give him that much. And that's what made the book so utterly devastating for me.

Wait, was that during the torture scene that he wanted to rape and kill her. Because that's different. I don't think that's who he is, but what he's turned into, reduced to. Sure, you can turn anyone into anything through force and torture, and the novel shows that quite explicitly, but I don't think that's who the person is. And that's why I feel so bad for Winston at the end.

No, it's before they've even spoken. I don't remember the surrounding context but he definitely fantasized about that and he definitely hadn't been abused by the Party at that point. As I said, I liked Winston, but I can see how taking some of his characterization a certain way might make him unliked by some.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:28 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:No, it's before they've even spoken.

That definitely does make it different. But one more possibility is that maybe Orwell was try9ing to show the sort of instinctive sexual response that Big Bro.'s culture cultivates and conditions to the point that it seems natural? (For more on this idea, check out Gravity's Rainbow.) I don't know if that's so or not, but it's just a thought.

Otherwise, though, yeah, I'm sure some people could not like Winston. I just didn't see anything so bad in him (he was a bit apathetic and self-serving, but then he'd been having to use the same razor for like a month), so I was wondering what others would find as such a turn-off about him.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
nevskey1 wrote:

Why?

I liked Winston, myself, perhaps viewing him in relation to everyone else in the story. But he's not exactly a shining example of heroism. Recall the bit about him wanting to rape Julia and kill her as he orgasmed.

It was kind of hard to like him after that. I mean, I didn't HATE him. He's certainly not one of those loveable characters, eh? But throughout the book I felt as if I was him, and it was happening to me rather than someone else.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:20 am UTC

Rowsdower wrote:But throughout the book I felt as if I was him, and it was happening to me rather than someone else.

That's what made it so devastating for me.

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 am UTC

The Book Thief: at the end....sadly I recommended that book to ALL of my friends and then proceded to loose it...

and at the end of Harry Potter mainly just because it was over....

and the Amber Spyglass that same reason as above....
Spoiler:

Peregrine

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:21 am UTC

I have a bit of a list:

(already mentioned by others)
Every HP book with a death.
Bridge to Terabithia
LoTR
Watership Down

(new ones (I think))
Diary of Anne Frank
Number the Stars
The Left Hand of Darkness
Wicked

I'm sure there are more, but these are the only ones I can think of right now.
Never let yourself be drawn into false trichotomies.

lanthos

Postby lanthos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Death Dragon wrote:Hmmm . . . . I haven't cried at the end of a book for ages, not since I was young . . .

There are, of course, books that leave me feeling depressed, for hours and hours after I read them . . .

First: Harry Potter 7. Just. . . . yeah. What a bloodbath . . . I asked for 3 characters NOT TO DIE. I wanted NOTHING except THOSE THREE CHARACTERS to live . . . 2 of them died. Out of, y'know, about 15 deaths . . .

Second: Choose a Dragonlance book. Any book. Just the simple fact that time passes, and Krynn is never quite the same at the end of the series (if you follow it right down to The Dark Disciple, about as far and direct as you can go). And, of course, the fact that

Spoiler:
the ENTIRE cast dies at one point or another doesn't hurt.

The worst part, though, that almost did make me cry, was

Spoiler:
right after Flint died. The scene was bad enough, but right afterward when Tas was all alone, crying . . .

That was pretty harsh. :( A lot of the Dragon Lance books were pretty good a kicking the different characters around.

In the same vein were the Dark Sun books regarding The Nomad.
Spoiler:
When the tribe of one went away and he was truly alone for the first time in his life...like having your entire family just suddenly up and die on you.

Also Terry Goodkind did a good job in Faith of the Fallen. Although it wasn't so much of a "oh my god that's so sad" type of cries either. It was more the "wow that's inspirational and awesome" type of cry.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:28 am UTC

I think only 'The Little Prince' did it for me. Actually, more than once.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

DarkLordofSquirrels

Postby DarkLordofSquirrels » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

I hated of Mice and Men. I was actually happy at the end, just 'cause I was done with that awful book. Steinbeck's no fun at all :-\

I know I've teared up at books, but I can't remember for sure which and where. I'll just list some that I might have cried over, had I considered it as an option:

-The Salmon of Doubt. Douglas Adams is dead :(
-The last Harry Potter, but mostly because it was over.
-1984, because Winston was completely broken. It's difficult to imagine something worse than that being done to someone.
-The Giver, with basically every revelation - it's people, living without color, love, discovery, a real family, and on, and on, and on. Boy, that was rough.
-The Last Battle (Narnia). The bit near the end where the bear guy dies, and all he can say is, "I don't understand." Wahhhhh :(. And of course, Aslan turning away all gajillion of the people that don't believe in him. Meh.

That's all off the top of my head, though I know there's more... as for movies, all I've got right now is Children of Men. Goddamn, that was a great movie but sad as hell. I highly recommend all the above books, by the way.

Return to “Books”