Have you ever read a book you've wished you could unread?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

esprit

Have you ever read a book you've wished you could unread?

Postby esprit » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:05 am UTC

I don't imagine this is the first post to touch on the theme, but I'm interested and I can't find a thread explicitly addressing it.

I ask because I'm about to read 'House of Leaves' for the first time... and having just finished the introduction I had second thoughts.

Before we start, I'm pretty sure nothing will really stop me from reading the book anyway. Everyone knows curiousity killed the cat, but I bet frustration at curiousity unfulfilled would have been just debilitating. I'd rather be curious and dead than eternally frustrated.

This is only true because I'm assured it's a great book. And that got me to thinking about the thread topic... is there a book I wish I could erase from my mind? I'm not talking about books that are simply lousy... DaVinci code or whatever. That book made me hate Dan Brown for acheiving such wild success through being a talentless hack, but it's not something that it bothers me to have in my head. When I thought about it a bit more, I'm not sure that I have read any such books. Jurassic park scared the hell out of me when I first read it because of the raptors (which, incidentally, is one of the first indications I had that I'd love xkcd) and the... shit... the spitting dinosaurs. The spitting dinosaurs can also go fuck themselves. Anyway, I think the only reason Jurassic Park scared me was that I was relatively young (8-ish) and monsters in the dark jungle are scary. It wasn't scary in a "shake your fundamental beliefs of what is true and right" kind of way. I can shoot a raptor, or lock it in a cage. House of leaves sounds different.

Another possible candidate is 1984 - although that more just made me look at the world in a "what the hell are we thinking" sort of way. Which makes me worry, because it's a pretty long way from reality and I think I projected the fiction of 1984 onto the reality of the world far more than was justified... not a good precedent if I'm about to read some mind-fuck horror! But at the end of the day, I adjusted and took (I think) the lessons to be learnt without the other crap. Hot stoves and cats and all that.

So my list is empty. Have I just been lucky, or are books in some way special? Or are bad books more readily evaluable and escapable than movies (because there are certainly movies I wish I could un-see... there is nothing at all about watching 'Wolf Creek' that I'm pleased to have with me except possibly the incentive to travel loaded for bear whenever I go adventuring)?

I'll stop rambling on and let people answer the question. Also: I'm about to piss off to the movies (I live in NZ to explain weird time differences) so don't take offense if I don't respond to your thoughts straight away :)

If nothing else, some interesting reading lists could arise...

I guess it could be expanded into the larger question "Can ignorance still be (relative) bliss if you know you're ignorant?"

I'll shut up.

Go!

And also, hi. It's a while since I've bumped into such a high concentration of genuinely interesting people, pleased to meet you's.

Malice

Re: Have you ever read a book you've wished you could unread?

Postby Malice » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 am UTC

The one that comes to mind immediately is "Rosemary's Son", by Ira Levin. It was a sequel (written decades later) to the excellent "Rosemary's Baby", in which a pregnant young woman begins to suspect there's something wrong with her baby.

Most of the book is excellent--it's science-fiction-y in a way I'd never seen before (or since, really), features an aging female protagonist (rare and therefore interesting), and accomplishes the remarkable trick of getting the reader to consider the opposite of the conclusion reached in the other book. Maybe the son isn't strange, after all...

Then it all goes to shit. Levin pulls the "It was all a dream!" ending, and I mean all. He has Rosemary waking up during events which took place early in the first novel. Then he pulls the only thing worse than the "It was all a dream" ending, which is the "...or was it?!" ending.

In other words, the sequel was so bad that it literally ruined the original. Therefore, I wish I had never read or heard of it.

esprit

Postby esprit » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:27 am UTC

AHHH! I hadn't even considered that angle on it, but yes, that would piss me right off and definitely qualifies! (though maybe you should spoiler it?)

I mean there are plenty of examples of books in which subsequent volumes in a series fail to meet the standards of an original, but it's got to be relatively rare for the author to corrupt the story line so badly that it ruins the original work by association.

Hmm. Clearly a proactive approach is required.

--- An open letter to Neal Stephenson ---

Dear Neal,

Do not ever write a sequel to SnowCrash, Diamond Age, or Cryptonomicon. They are awesome. There is no more 'up' to explore. They exist complete, outside the ravages of literary decay.

If you go further, and ruin them, I'll die inside.

Love and kisses,

e

p.s. But hey, if you think you can pull it off I'd be the first to say you're the man for the job. Just wanted to make you aware of the responsibility you bear

---

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

esprit wrote:AHHH! I hadn't even considered that angle on it, but yes, that would piss me right off and definitely qualifies! (though maybe you should spoiler it?)

Why would I spoiler it? I avoided ruining the first one to the extent that I could; but I think a shitty ending like that should be shouted from the rooftops so people simply stay away.

esprit

Postby esprit » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Because in giving the warning you're exposing people to the thing you're warning them of. Anyone who'd read the first book and had simply had the good fortune not to get around to reading the second (and have it ruin the first by association) now knows the lame ending and hence is tainted without even reading the book.

Although I guess there's a big difference between being told "the ending is really bad" and actually experiencing it first hand. Perhaps you'll save others from the same fate afterall...

No one's read a book that's shaken them so badly they wish they could just go back to ignorance?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:50 am UTC

esprit wrote:I don't imagine this is the first post to touch on the theme, but I'm interested and I can't find a thread explicitly addressing it.
Hmm. We do have the Books that you're disappointed in after having finished. thread, which is this theme or a closely related one.

I can't think of any books I actually wished I could unread. Some were really bad, but not absolutely. Others (like the William Gibson novels I really enjoy most of) and good, but have awful ass-endings.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

esprit

Postby esprit » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Yup, cheers JayDee, I'd seen that thread and read through it.

It's broader in scope though... more just "what books have you read and classified as bad".

I'm not talking about books which you simply finish and think 'Wow, that was complete crap, I want 14 hours of my life back please'. I'm after books which cause you to go 'Dear sweet jesus get that knowledge out of my head'.

My theory at the moment is that satisfaction gained from broadening your horizons outweighs the negative impact of being mindfucked... I'm pretty sure it's true of me, but i'm also pretty sure it's illogical. If I read a book which causes me to imagine a universe which is a) unreal and b) gives me nightmares, I'm don't think there are really any positives that come from the experience. But I don't think I could bring myself to erase that bit of my memory given the opportunity...

I think it actually IS illogical, and I just haven't encountered any books with a high enough mindfuck:fun/interesting ratio. I'm wondering if any exist?

It's the work of a moment with movies. I have not and will not watch 'Hostel' because I know it will just make me angry and slightly scared to no benefit at all.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

In before Guts.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:04 am UTC

I haven't read it yet, but Im gonna, and I suspect The God Delusion will come under this category...

esprit

Postby esprit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Really?

Because you're religious and you're worried it'll make you question your belief structures?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Meh, I'm an atheist and was under-impressed by the God Delusion, somehow.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:In before Guts.

This might make me sound like a twisted, screwed up person, but...

Guts didn't bother me very much.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 am UTC

Upsilon wrote:

I haven't read it, but I keep seeing it mentioned in conjuction with fucked-up-ness.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I have no books at all that I've ever wanted to unread because it mindfucked me.

I mean, there's books that I've wanted to unread because that way I could experience it for the first time again, but nothing that just screwed with me.

There have, however, been movies. God damn Event Horizon.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I'm glad I read Guts. If nothing else, it taught me stuff. <- not a joke

esprit

Postby esprit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Agreed - Screw you Event Horizon

Unreading a book so you could experience its awesomeness anew would be a completely different category.

I keep hearing about guts too, never having read it, but I just looked up the synopsis and I can't imagine being particularly bothered by it, I mean
Spoiler:
Don't shove candlewax up your urethra and don't sit on pool filters seems to be pretty much the extent of the cautionary tale... gross certainly, but I don't think nightmarishly reality distortingly so.

But I'm speaking from a position of ignorance... will try to find it online and see how disturbed I get I guess :)

esprit

Postby esprit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Ok, I've read it.

Maybe forewarned was fore-armed, but honestly, it didn't bother me in the slightest. I can imagine it would have been pretty different having the author read it aloud, but in html?

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

Well as far as making me a more misanthropic bitter youth Daniel Quinn's Ishmael almost made want to have never read it, but as far as a book that traumatized me at an early age I am going to go with the Exorcist.

Damn you little girls with the devils inside...
To exist is to resist.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Meh, I'm an atheist and was under-impressed by the God Delusion, somehow.

Yeah, same here. And I'm a big fan of his biology books.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Handsome

Postby Handsome » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

esprit wrote:I'm after books which cause you to go 'Dear sweet jesus get that knowledge out of my head'.

So you're after the book equivalent of goatse then. I see.

I haven't read any books that bad, but I distinctly remember having nightmares for at least a month after read "The Call of Cthulhu" when I was eight.
I eat yellow snow
Cones, that is. Not yellow snow
Well, not normally.

esprit

Postby esprit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

ha! Wery, I don't think you can BE a youth without being misanthropic... not really. It's part of the transitional process :)

Haven't read the exorcist, but I remember talking to my Dad about it once. He said he finished reading it, wandered out the back door onto their deck, and was immediately the most scared he's ever been in his life. Went straight back in and locked all the doors. Nothing he could pin it to, he just said he could feel something evil in the bush. And this is from a family that is almost totally bereft of superstitions. I can sympathise though - evil small children are all bad. Especially in the dark. That little kid in 'Identity' freaked me right out... but I didn't want to hide from him. I wanted to be locked in a nice well lit room with him and no opportunity for concealment so I could kick him through the wall like he deserved. Simon and Garfunkel were wrong. It should have been "Hello Darkness you fear amplifying bitch".

Haven't read the God Delusion but have been given the gist of it by a friend. I'm just not interested enough really, Dawkins definitely has a barrow to push but I think his point about questioning religion when it's used as justification for action is valid. "Because the bible says so" is a terrible reason to do anything in my opinion, regardless of how religious you are. God didn't give people free will so they could be blindly dogmatic. Anyway, I'm sure that's a WHOLE different thread.

And YES! The book equivalent of goatse frames the problem perfectly :)

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

I love Iain Banks, but there are times when I wish I could unread Complicity. It was a great book, really great, and I know if I unread it I would probably get curious and read it again... But yes, a lot of it was so very, very uncomfortable and I felt horrifically dirtied for ages.

Spoiler:
First person rape. Say no more. I really love the way he writes, and the way he mindfucks you, but putting graphic violence and sex in first person was... ouch. I was uncomfortable enough to skip large chunks, but the story was so good, I had to keep going.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

I had to read "Left Behind" for a Religion in Pop Culture class. Scared the shit out of me that so many people actually believe that stuff. I'd love to un-read that one. I think I'd sleep a little better having slightly more faith in humanity if I hadn't read it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Haunted (the book that contains "Guts") was pretty disturbing, but I wouldn't un-read it. Likewise for Eil Wiesel's "Night". Sometimes I think that reading those upsetting books makes one stronger as a person. They are, as Kafka wrote, "the axe for the frozen seas of our souls".

That said, I'm glad I stopped reading Atlas Shrugged when I did. I could see that that book has the capability to turn people into bad things. It's ironic that a section of the book discusses the wrongness in making people feel good about their sins and vices, and then the book itself encourages people to be as selfish as possible, as in, that's the right way to live.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

jakkle

Postby jakkle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

esprit wrote:Agreed - Screw you Event Horizon

with all due respect sir, get out. i love that film!

as for the topic, i wish i could unread every bit in harry potter where JK Rowling uses the word 'snog'. 'snog'... uuugggggghhhh. also the very ending shitty bit to round the whole thing off in HP7, though im pretty sure that goes without saying.
The Da Vinci code pissed me off no end - when i was reading it and suspending disbelief it was ok, but actually thinking about it made me vomit a little. however, i do not wish to unread it, because then i would not be able to mock it.
geek love in its noblest form.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:10 am UTC

mosc wrote:I had to read "Left Behind" for a Religion in Pop Culture class. Scared the shit out of me that so many people actually believe that stuff. I'd love to un-read that one. I think I'd sleep a little better having slightly more faith in humanity if I hadn't read it.
Heh. I read "Survivor - You'll be surprised who gets left behind" which I think was a disagreement with "Left Behind" over when the rapture takes place. Fundamentalist Christian Sci-Fi. Very entertaining.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

annals

Postby annals » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:37 am UTC

mosc wrote:I had to read "Left Behind" for a Religion in Pop Culture class. Scared the shit out of me that so many people actually believe that stuff enjoy such abysmally bad writing. I'd love to un-read that one. I think I'd sleep a little better having slightly more faith in humanity if I hadn't read it.

Fix'd. I love my Christian friends, but some of the stuff they consider well written...

On topic, I can't think of any fiction I've read that's really messed me up. I think, for one thing, I tend to quickly shrug off/normalize anything that shocks me too much. 1984 came close, as did certain parts of Crime and Punishment (both when I was younger) but in both cases I was too ecstatic at the pure awesomeness of the writing to care.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:58 am UTC

> Re God Delusion
> Really?
> Because you're religious and you're worried it'll make you question your belief structures?

Do I sense a confrontational tone to your question? :)
No, im not religious in the way you probably mean it. But Im not an atheist. Well maybe I am, but probably more in a sub-section of atheism....I can't really explain it (not even to myself really - im kinda constructing my own beliefs as I go and haven't really found any "religion" that fits that mould).
But yeah, I guess I am worried it'll convince me to question or fully change my belief structures (or lack thereof) fully towards atheism, where I don't want to be. I don't have that complete security of people that are fully convinced either way, nor do I want to be. I am going to read it tho, and I dont think one book could fully change my opinion about all this, but you never know.

Does that sound really weak? Admitting Im worried in case of changing my belief structures? But still being open to change?
I suppose I'll get mocked out of the forum for this post...it seems lots of people round these parts have some pretty solid religious convictions either way

esprit

Postby esprit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:52 am UTC

@Elevator - That would be pretty odd to read. So naturally I'll have to add it to my list. If I get mindfucked I'm blaming you :)

@Mosc - Never heard of it but can totally empathise. I often get that "grrr, RAGE at the bastards of the planet" feeling. The problem is that I project fictional bastardness onto real people, who may not actually be as bastardly. I assume 'Left Behind' is some sort of reference to Armageddon/Rapture? I find the concept of the rapture so deeply immoral I'd almost choose hell as an alternative to complicity.

@Narsil - How far through it did you get? Ayn Rand is a total whack job - no dispute - and seems to have her ideas completely confused, but I don't think the book necessarily turns people into bad things. Maybe I got a different message to the one she was trying to send, but I certainly considered the villians of the book to be the most contemptible people in it (I think she called them bludgers?). Though I certainly wouldn't have been good friends with most of her protagonists either. Except Francisco, he's the man. The book is totally inconsistent with its message - she starts off all "nothing given without compensatoin, nothing taken without consent", but then gets into issues of family and friendship and seems to realise that her philosophy is a crock of shit but tries to cover it up by going "Oh no, see, because he loves her and so her payment is returning his love... and stuff... which totally doesn't apply to any of the other characters in the book". I treated Atlas Shrugged as a cautionary tale along the same lines as '1984' - Don't let the short sighted stupid conservatives run the show, or things go tits up. And also, it's ok to be proud of success and enjoy life. Generally though I think you did a good thing in stopping - it's a pretty rubbishy book. I just like it because the positive traits of the characters inspired me to try and be more generally awesome.

@jakkle - Ha! Sorry :) My old flatmate was a huge fan too, I've had the same argument with him MANY a time. My 'screw you' was probably over-harsh... it was pretty cool in a lot of ways, but at the end of it I still knew that creepy Sam Neil would be messing with my dreams and there wasn't nearly enough positive output to compensate for that.
I haven't even read HP7. I guess I should just to acheive closure, but god there are just so many more good books to read instead than I'll EVER get through. And once you know what's going to happen... I mean really, it's not like you read JK rowling for the quality of the prose. I hadn't noticed the 'snog' though. Ugh. And double-ugh at the thought of anyone snogging Ron.
On DaVinci Code - totally. The satisfaction I've got from feeling smugly superior to Dan Brown (depsite the fact that he's probably far more 'successful' than I'll ever come close to I've got the advantage of still having my soul) completely compensates for the lameness experienced reading his book.

Finally!
@dbsmith - Rereading it, yeah, can imagine how a confrontational vibe could come through that but wasn't my intention at all. I'd lump myself into the same sort of theological category as you, I just don't buy into organised religion at all. I think it's got good points, I just don't like the idea of the "all or nothing" element. If you only like 9 commandments for example, you can't just take what you think has value and live by that - you're a dirty ungodly sinner who's going to hell.
You though... I TOTALLY commend your approach. Build up what you believe from what you think is right... frankly I think it would be people who mocked that approach who'd be mocked.
My question was more whether you were essentially hiding from what you were worried might be the truth, was interested as to your motivatoins, but you've answered that. Personally I doubt it'll change your perspective all that much... I should get around to reading it I guess simply due to its place in pop-culture at present, but it basically sounds like a collection of attack vectors for aggressive atheists to use against theists. I've already got plenty of those if necessary, it just seems pointless and destructive to use them. Although I think I'm going to be a little less accomodating when my christian friends tell me they think I'm going to hell. Seriously. The crusades were ok, but sex before marriage isn't? Rhetorical! When I can handle a religious debate I'm sure there's no shortage of threads for it :)

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Thanks esprit. It was actually quite liberating to put those kinda thoughts to words which I'd never really done before. The quest for enlightenment continues....I think its probably hidden somewhere in Baywatch.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:45 am UTC

mosc wrote:I had to read "Left Behind" for a Religion in Pop Culture class. Scared the shit out of me that so many people actually believe that stuff. I'd love to un-read that one. I think I'd sleep a little better having slightly more faith in humanity if I hadn't read it.

If I unread that book series, can I also take back having been the type of person who reads that book series?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:31 am UTC

John dies at the end. It's a bloody awesome story, but every time I read it I end up quivering in my boots for a month. It's so horrible.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

The Bastard King.

That was hands down the worst fantasy novel I have ever read. I've mostly blocked it out now, but damn. My friend Spencer gave it to me to read - not because he liked it, but because he wanted to spread the pain.

To quote a piece of a review from Amazon:
"Specifically, I have never read an author who resolves practically every conflict within 1 to 2 Chapters from it's introduction. He make's Feist's fast-paced style seem positively Proust-like. Worse, once you grasp his formula (which doesn't take long), you can actually predict THE HOW of how the conflict will get resolved. "...Okay, let's flip about 7 pages forward, and, ah yes, there we go, just like I thought." It's very safe really, if you like that sort of thing. After a while, though, you begin to root for Dan, hoping he will prove you wrong, throw ya a curveball. Nope. Tax Forms have more plot twists. "

rAmen, pal.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

I don't think there's really books that I hated or were disturbed enough with that I wished I could unread. Guts/Haunted wasn't that bad. I love when books make me question my beliefs. I've been bored to death by books and disturbed by books and extremely disappointed, but I found them all to be somewhat worthwhile.
The thing about books as opposed to movies, is that books take up so much more of your time and so people tend to be more cautious when picking out one to read. With movies you can just throw anything in or come across anything and spend two hours watching it, only to wish you could unwatch it (though I don't think I've ever really wished I could unwatch a movie either). People tend to watch so many more movies than they read books.

Also, I have that same curiosity towards House of Leaves. I'm curious about it, but I don't really want to read it. I find I'd get extremely frustrated and annoyed with it. But I figure I'll eventually read it... sometime.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

If I unread that book series, can I also take back having been the type of person who reads that book series?

you didn't really... you didn't actually... I cannot believe... wow.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
Belial wrote:

I used to read those books through sheer morbid interest. I had plenty of Christian friends who would insist on thrusting them on me, and when I showed an interest I got more thrusted at me.. I like religion. I like trying to understand why people think those things, and I like getting to grips with what it would mean for the people who believe those things to form an identity around it.
I don't think there's anything too shameful about it. And I'm about as non-Christian as you get.
But that's totally a subject for a different thread.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:

Read Haunted, the book it's part of. Then get back to me.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

I wish I could unread Digital Fortress. The premise of the book is that the NSA owns a computer that can crack any code by brute force within a matter of hours without even knowing the algorithm used to encrypt it. For anyone who doesn't know about cryptography, let me explain.

If you have an encrypted message, the plaintext used to produce it could have been ANYTHING of the same length, if you don't know the encryption algorithm. If you have a 1000 character ciphertext, the original message could be ANY passage of text that is 1000 characters long. How would you know when you found the right one?

And this is of course completely ignoring the criminal inefficiency of getting a computer to brute-force its way through 128, 256, etc bit keys. Bear in mind it takes twice as long to go through every n+1 bit key as it does to go through every n bit key, so the computational cost of brute-forcing a code rises exponentially with respect to key length.

Oh but the computer had quantum parts in it apparently. Maybe the CPU simultaneously exists and doesn't exist? That makes it all okay then.

Moral of the story: if you know a little bit about a given subject, don't read a Dan Brown book about it. It'll demoralise you. Thank God I know nothing about art. The Da Vinci code might have been ruined for me if I did.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:14 am UTC

I wish I could unread Welcome To Shapesville (or something along those lines). My mom reviews books on her website, so every so often she gets free books from some random self-publisher and a lot of the time, they're not good at all.
This one was like the bastard child of the Eye of Argon and Dr. Seuss.
Dear god it was terrible. I mean terrible.
I've blocked it from my memory, so I don't remember any of it, except that we tore it apart (literally), and wanted to burn it after reading it.
It was really, really bad.

EDIT: Turns out, it's on Amazon, and only called Shapesville (with random capitalized/uncapitalized letters for some reason). So if you, for some reason, want to buy the ati-christ of children's books, You can! For only $10.17!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:27 am UTC

mosc wrote:
Belial wrote:If I unread that book series, can I also take back having been the type of person who reads that book series?

Hey, Mosc.. got room in your "WTF" hut?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Books”