Markus Zusak

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Joeldi

Markus Zusak

Postby Joeldi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Last year I had to read The Messenger for school, and I've just finished The Book Thief and I find thins guy amazing. Both books had a few flaws, but their originality and movingness is masterful. I didn't like The Messenger's ending
Spoiler:
Where all the weird stuff that's been happening to the main character has been masterminded by either A) Some random guy off the street who had never been mentioned or hinted at before or B) God, which just isn't that impressive a plot point, equally given the previously mentioned lack of Chekov's gun.

For The Book Thief, I thought that having Death as the narrator didn't work quite as well as it could. Early in the book, it just seemed like "story story story OH JUST TO REMIND YOU, I COLLECT THE SOULS OF THE DEAD story story story"
It worked better later on, but there was still an inconsistency between the times when the story was being told by a character and the times when the story was being told by an author.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

sonicemi

Re: Markus Zusak

Postby sonicemi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

I've read both books as well, but I didn't think it was that awkward having death as the narrator in The Book Thief. I loved that book.
Sure, there were a couple spots that just dragged on and didn't spark your interest to keep reading..but once you got past those few parts, the rest of the book(s) was awesome.

I wish he had some more books out...I think he has a few more but I'm pretty sure that our library doesn't have them. Unfortunately.

kcr

Postby kcr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:48 am UTC

I LOVE HIM. I Am the Messenger and The Book Thief are two of my absolute favorite books. I agree, the ending to Messenger is a bit weak, but I was willing to go with it because I found the rest of the book amazing. And I didn't think Death was an awkward narrator for Book Thief. I liked it, actually.

Of his other books, I've only read one.. I think it was Fighting Ruben Wolfe. It was alright. Not as good, but still decent.

Book Thief was marketed for adults in Australia, but teenagers in the US.. what do you guys think of that? In Borders once, a clerk was talking to a "concerned mother" who thought Book Thief would be too adult for her 13 year old daughter. The clerk hadn't read it so I jumped it and told her if her daughter was mature, she should be fine, but the book was sold for adults in the author's home country (I'm in the US). Really, I don't see why it would be bad for younger people to read, but at the same time, I don't know why it wouldn't be marketed for adults here. Eh. I hate that kind of age-driven literary grouping anyways.

One last thing about Markus Zusak that I read on this website. Apparently he was in Germany during the writing of The Book Thief, and he carved Rudy's and Liesel's names into a tree.
..I find that adorable.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Love this guy.

I really disliked the end to The Messenger, and I don't appear to be alone, but it was good enough that I was more than happy that I read it.

The Book Thief is just bloody brilliant.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:38 am UTC

I don't mean to say it was bad, and in some places it was really really good. I just found it slightly inconsistent. I had to make excuses for the narrator like "He's omniscient, of course he knows what Rudy was feeling even if this wasn't one of the times he said he was there"
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Return to “Books”