Rattle my worldview - Has a book ever changed your life?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

infinitetechno

Rattle my worldview - Has a book ever changed your life?

Postby infinitetechno » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 am UTC

There are a few books that I've read in my life, most of them at college during pretty critical periods in my life, that have completely and totally changed how I see things and what I would consider to be the core of my belief system. These books are

Siddhartha
Ishmael, My Ishmael, The Story of B (sort of a 3 part treatise on the same idea)
Be Here Now
Industrial Society and its Future
Staring into the Singularity (http://www.fairpoint.net/~jpierce/stari ... larity.htm) original source different now
The Guide to Rational Living

Hit me with any books that had the same effect on you, regardless of genre or topic.

Plamo

Re: I need a book to rattle my worldview

Postby Plamo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Girl Who Owned A City.
Uselessnesses... what a silly word.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Pretty big fan of the two by Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (read this first) and Lila. When I was reading them it was kind of a "hmm, this is interesting" but now, after reading, I see the philosophy he talks about everywhere.

Also, the words "book" and "rattle" caught my eye - House of Leaves.
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Monty40xi

Postby Monty40xi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

I picked up a pretty deterministic view of humanity from reading Asimov's Foundation series. It gave me a way to blend free will with destiny.
Occam's Quandary: any idea can be made to sound like the simpler one.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

If you are into some hardcore reading with a new world view

I might suggest

Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity
by Richard Rorty

I was still thinking about his book years after college. Although it is a difficult read and I had to reread parts of it many times.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Robert Silverburg's Kingdoms of the Wall.
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

The Illuminatus! trilogy, by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. It is a discordian novel.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Slaughterhouse V...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Gravity's Fucking Rainbow!

(Oh, and second on Illuminatus.)
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Ayn Rand. Love her or (far more likely) hate her, I found her interesting.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Atlas Shrugged will change your worldview, but you won't be a better person for it.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Atlas Shrugged will change your worldview, but you won't be a better person for it.

Well, it's possible to read Atlas Shrugged and disagree with it.

Well. You heard him.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:44 am UTC

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's a great book and will give you a very different perspective on US history.

infinitetechno

Postby infinitetechno » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:02 am UTC

One of my best friends was reading Slaughterhouse Five on the bus so I think I'll read that when he's done. How delightfully fortunate.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:43 am UTC

... well this may be an obvious one, but Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter.

Also, Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, but warning that it's unfathomably dense. Actually, I don't know if the ideas contained within rattled my world-view that much – I'd already had marginal exposure to them before studying it in depth – but maybe it was the way Kant approached things. I'unno. I just remember having a lot of fascinating "Wow, holy crap!" moments while reading it.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:06 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:... well this may be an obvious one, but Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter.

Also, Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, but warning that it's unfathomably dense. Actually, I don't know if the ideas contained within rattled my world-view that much – I'd already had marginal exposure to them before studying it in depth – but maybe it was the way Kant approached things. I'unno. I just remember having a lot of fascinating "Wow, holy crap!" moments while reading it.

I can't speak for Critique, but Groundwork on the Metaphysics of Morals has really influenced my moral philosophy.

Well. You heard him.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Hmm. I can only think of two that really rattled my worldview. There a plenty of other books that changed my worldview, but I was expecting them to, generally. That was why I was reading them.

Dune. Changed my thinking about a bunch of things. Long term planning. Environmentalism and terraforming. Education.
The Dispossessed. Was one of the first books that made me think seriously about politics and forms of government or whatnot. Anarchy, in this case. Actually, all of Le Guin's Sci Fi has been thought provoking, but this one the most, perhaps because I read it first.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:58 am UTC

When I was religious, The End of the Affair by Graham Greene pretty well knocked me on my feet. I'm not sure it would have had the same effect had I first read it in my current mindset, but it's still excellent.

After a particularly powerful and changing event in my life, I happened across the story "How the Elephant Got its Trunk" by Kipling, and there's no more appropriate story for that period in your life.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:00 am UTC

End of the World Blues by Jon Courtenay Grimwood. recommended to anyone for anything, but it really got me thinking, so it might to you as well
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am UTC

The Prince by Machiavelli. It gives an interesting perspective on politics and power, a perspective that most don't give.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

I have two recommendations, but they are more of type that they'll make you think about things differently instead of rattling your worldview.

Think on These Things - Krishnamurti - Ok, it's a bit of an eastern philosophy thing, but it is quite interesting. It is done in a question-answer format. If you just read the questions, you should then think about your answer. Next, read the answers given in the book. It will give you insight into every day things.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad - Ok, yeah it is kind of a pulp financial book - but it also changed how I think about money. It is a good introduction to how long term financial planning can help you.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Lemminkainen

Postby Lemminkainen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

On the Hermann Hesse theme that you mentioned earlier, I would recommend The Glass Bead Game

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Hope & Memory by Tzvetan Todorov.

All about totalitarianism in the 20th Century. It's eye-opening, thought-provoking and incredibly inspiring. I'm a better person for the perspective it's given me.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I would recommend the novel "Hunger", by Knut Hamsun. It's about a writer wandering through a city on the edge of starvation. Apparently it was based on 10 years of the author's live on the edge of starvation in deep poverty. It's fascinating for the mindset of its character, almost like he's happy being close to death.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Another for Rand, but The Fountainhead this time. The only book I read during high school and glad I did.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

jferry

Postby jferry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:06 am UTC

I definitely second the post recommending Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Changed my world.

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Ted Rall's Revenge Of The Latchkey Kids changed my worldview. But then again I was only in high school when I first read it.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

This is my second post in this thread but I have something really good to recommend:

The Gulag Archipelago, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

It's about Soviet labour camps, and partly about the author's experiences inside them. He spent a long time in the gulag, I think at least a decade if i remember correctly. It deals with the secret police, arrests, torture, and prison. I've only read the first part - I couldn't find the second or third volumes - but it cemented my negative view of the Soviet Union. It's a bit of a draining read; there's some really horrifying things in it. It's part of the reason why I don't like the idea of putting faces and logos of the Soviet Union on t-shirts and turning it all into a pop culture toy, and why I don't play around with any "Soviet themed" stuff.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Fight Club Chuck Palahniuk

Lot's of Ursula K. Leguin's Short stories, as well as The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven

I'm currently reading The Curve of Binding Energy by John McPhee which is throwing my worldview for a bit of a spin

There's other's, but I'd need to dig through my bookshelf to find them.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Truman Capote's In Cold Blood definitely changed my perspective on crime and criminal justice. The fact that it revolutionized non-fiction, and that it's incredibly engaging, is a plus.

joshuahwang

Postby joshuahwang » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:23 am UTC

I find that I think of a lot of things in terms of marketing because of the book "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell (BTW, just got his new book "Outliers" and it's a page turner.)

I agree that "Ishmael" is the kind of book to change your worldview. I don't know about you, infinitetechno, but it just made me less willing to support certain third world charity projects. Or at least question their intentions.

And I don't know what everyone's respective races/religions/etc. are, but try reading a book giving some perspective on your "race" and culture. I read "Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White" and though I am still of the mind that some problems come from people's self-consciousness rather than other people, it still gave me a lot to chew on in terms of race relations.
Become more cultured in only 90 seconds: Short podcasts about topics we should all know about
90 Seconds To Culture
http://www.90SecondsToCulture.com

jjono

Postby jjono » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

I hope this isn't too controversial, but... Animal Liberation by Peter Singer.

Not so much for the philosophy but for its description of the meat industry.

RedNifre

Postby RedNifre » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

"The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. is just one book that totally shattered my world view. The book is so intense and powerful, I literaly gasped at some parts of it. At some parts I put the book down, got out of my chair, walked around and stared at the wall for a few minutes to let it sink in. It is really the most mind-expanding book I ever read. It totally turned my brain inside out.

The book also reveals the answer to the question "What is the meaning of life?" and that answer paralysed me for some hours. (Then I got hungry so I got up, ate something, and then thought about what I want to do with my life).

The title is a bit misleading, it is not all about genes. It's not a biology book.

Here's a rough summary of what it tells you:
- How chaotic systems can organize themselves
- Why being good is good
- Why we are here
- What's the deal about genes (I thought that genes exist so we can reproduce. The book showed me that I was COMPLETELY wrong about that)
- The concept of evolution by reproduction, inheritance and selection. And that this is not confined to biology.
- Where your opinions / thoughts come from

If someone has read it and knows a more powerful book: Please tell me!
I intensely detest when someone talks about something for long periods of time before finally saying what it is. Therefor, I've changed your post so that it's the first thing said. Now you no longer sound like a shitty 3am informertial. You're welcome. -ST

ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones

Hentzau

Postby Hentzau » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Sartre definitely rattled my world. I picked up 'Nausea' secondhand, I flicked through it and read one sentence, something like ' I continue to exist only because I hate my existence'. 'Roads to Freedom', as a trilogy, is utterly mindblowing. Perhaps the whole purpose of it is to prepare for the final paragraph of Mathieu Delarue's story, which has quite some savour.

The Sea of Fertility tetraology, Yukio Mishima. Not necessarily for itself, but because along with reading his introduction to 'Hagakure' they allow one to piece together his reasons for suicide. It's disturbing in that his reasons become mainfestly rational within his own terms, without any real objection to be made. I'd understood in principle the idea of fatalism and nihilism for quite some time, but it only seemed real and substantial after reading him.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:]Dune. Changed my thinking about a bunch of things. Long term planning. Environmentalism and terraforming. Education.

I think I can be fully sincere when I say that "Dune" informs at least some of my religious views at this point.

To explain: Dune shows that religious events/experiences have a sort of quantum nature: they exist in a superposition of natural and supernatural, and the way you perceive the event is changed by the way in which you approach it. On the one hand, the nature and origins of Paul Atreides are clearly explained within the scientific framework of the book. On the other hand:
Spoiler:
the contents of Appendix III imply that Paul Atreides was a genuine messiah created and sent by God Himself to a foolish and unsuspecting humanity. Or that the Jews created him -- "Chapterhouse Dune" says we're actually capable of out-conspiring the Bene Gesserit!

And then I got a PDF copy of "The Dune Encyclopedia". If you really want a mindfuck, go and read the Encyclopedia's historical articles on the life of Paul-Muad'dib Atreides after reading "Dune" itself.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Since someone mentioned Sartre, I feel the need to put in Voltaire, especially Candide. It was a great book, read it if only for the conversation between the optimist and the pessimist.

or failing that, watch the musical by Leonard Bernstein.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:41 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Fight Club Chuck Palahniuk

Actually, almost everything by Palahniuk is rattling.

Also, 1984 by George Orwell. Some Murikami is always good for rattling as well In fact, Murikami's surrealism and subtle philosophical undertones (blatant philosophical undertones are present too on occasion) have changed me quite a bit.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:46 am UTC

some more books!

The Big U by Neal Stephenson changed the way I think about college.
Zodiac also by Neal, changed the way I think about drugs and the environment.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller changed the way i think about a lot of things.

All three also made me laugh out loud in public.

A less hilarious world-view rattler would be A Case of Conscience by James Blish.

And whoever said Dune made an excellent point.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Damn, a lot of mine have been mentioned already.

On the subject of Vonnegut, read Mother Night or Cat's Cradle if you want your worldview rattled, or maybe Deadeye Dick if you just want to be rattled.

Return to “Books”