special topics in calamity physics

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Brwagur

special topics in calamity physics

Postby Brwagur » Wed May 27, 2009 2:59 am UTC

Who's read it? I think it's fucking awesome.
That there is an 80's cell. See, it's got plasma legwarmers.

kcr

Re: special topics in calamity physics

Postby kcr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

I love this book. First off, I love the writing - really dense. I read quickly, so a book that isn't just long but is written with long detail-packed sentences? Perfect. It slowed me down. And that, of course, turned out to be a good thing because of the nature of the story. Second, I love any book that can throw me for a complete loop by the end. And by the end of this, I was just floored. The ending was amazing, and I read the last 100/150 pages all in one go because I was so enthralled. She (author) did a great job of building suspense in an unusual way. No action sequences, just gradual discovering of information and, maybe, the truth.

It was a fucking awesome book. I hope the author keeps writing!

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

kcr wrote:I love this book. First off, I love the writing - really dense. I read quickly, so a book that isn't just long but is written with long detail-packed sentences? Perfect. It slowed me down. And that, of course, turned out to be a good thing because of the nature of the story. Second, I love any book that can throw me for a complete loop by the end. And by the end of this, I was just floored. The ending was amazing, and I read the last 100/150 pages all in one go because I was so enthralled. She (author) did a great job of building suspense in an unusual way. No action sequences, just gradual discovering of information and, maybe, the truth.

It was a fucking awesome book. I hope the author keeps writing!

I just picked a hardback of this up from Amazon for about £6 - I'm only 30 pages or so in, and I love it already. The author has a wonderful style.

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

I was kind of disappointed that there was no actual good physics references in it... just human collisions.
It was still a fun book nonetheless.
(^@^)

Return to “Books”