Stephen King - Under the Dome

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tzvibish

Stephen King - Under the Dome

Postby tzvibish » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Anyone get a hold of this yet?

I am so wanting this, it hurts.

I read the the first chapter at a store, and I love that feeling you get when you haven't read any stephen king in a while, and you realize how much you missed his writing since the last time you read him (Duma Key, about a year ago)? Ya, that scene with the chipmunk? Classic King. First fatality within the first 3 pages? Classic King. Do it while putting a smile on your face? Classic king.

Seriously though, the scope of this book is absolutely huge-mongus. Like, The Stand level of huge. The only other King books that hit the 1000 page mark were IT and The Stand, and those were some of the best books he wrote. I hear there's close to 20 "main" characters in the story.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Captain Kirk

Re: Stephen King - Under the Dome

Postby Captain Kirk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

I have the book sitting on my shelf, currently. I want to get Wheel of Time out of the way before I tackle it, though. I don't think I could juggle two massive stories at the same time, and not feel like it's a force of labor. I'll probably get to it during Christmas break :D

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

I bought it the week it came out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Let me know thumbs up or down, with no spoilers.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:49 am UTC

Just finished this. Thumbs up. Best King since he finished the Dark Tower, which clearly took a lot out of him. But Under the Dome really hits it out of the park.

The following review contains minor spoilers.

Spoiler:
Not only is it a real page-turner (1000+ feels like half that), but it also looks at some of King's standard ideas in a new and rich way via the central metaphor/premise that provides the impetus for both the book's plot and point: namely, the idea that all of a sudden for no discernible reason an invisible, impenetrable barrier erects itself on the border of Chester's Mills, Maine. The genius of King's novel is that it takes this one idea and processes it in different ways as the book goes on. At first it's simply a gruesome horror story, as the Dome chops people up as it comes down and scares the rest of them as it stays there. 'Ah,' we think, 'we're in for another "Mist", here, a locked-room psychological drama as a group of people break under pressure.' And we are, but that just leads to the second, largest section of UtD: an examination of the results of fear as the town's homegrown Hitler, Big Jim Rennie, begins seizing control of the town. We watch as a fledgling dictatorship forms in a matter of days--it feels like a distillation of what it feels like to live in a post-9/11 society, as the uglier natures of terrified townspeople come out, as the police force becomes draconian, as the entire township casts itself in the roles of the kids from Lord of the Flies. Finally, following the climax, the Dome turns deadly on a wide scale, and King reveals the thread that draws his concepts together: that to live under the Dome is to be isolated from one's fellow man. That when we reject connections, when we reject empathy, the only result is poison. King's characters are flatly drawn, with the emphasis on external rather than internal conflict, encouraging us to look at them as examples of human nature rather than unique individuals (with a few exceptions, notably his wonderfully odious villains, Rennie and his psychotic son Junior, who become, if not fully 3-dimensional, at least fully and clearly seen); and his breakneck pacing and characteristically clear foreshadowing give those characters' descent into savagery and death a sense of inevitability. He holds out some measure of hope at the end, however, as he is wont to do. Sometimes, with bravery, human beings can reach out and touch each across a barrier that had seemed so impenetrable before.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

Malice wrote:Just finished this. Thumbs up. Best King since he finished the Dark Tower, which clearly took a lot out of him. But Under the Dome really hits it out of the park.
Glad to hear that. To date the only King I've read is the Dark Tower series.

There was a bit of confusion with Christmas gifts and my wife or father-in-law was thinking about this book knowing I'm a fan of the Dark Tower series, but must've thought it was Under the Dome since it just came out, or something. Either way, I now have a copy of it and I'm looking forward to giving it a read. Just gotta decide on where to place it on my book queue once I'm done with what I'm reading through now.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Fallen Angel

Postby Fallen Angel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:41 am UTC

I will choose to read it upon finishing Life of Pi.
I don't know why I was created... and not some other misfortunate soul.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote: To date the only King I've read is the Dark Tower series.

The Stand, is my personal SK book.

If you like a short read, I enjoyed his book Cell. Its like a mini Stand.

It seems to me people fall into two camps. People that prefer the Dark Tower series and those that prefer the Stand.

Ixtellor

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:44 am UTC

I think "It" is better than the Stand, personally. But the Dark Tower is better than both, so I guess I fall into that camp.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

Malice wrote:I think "It" is better than the Stand, personally. But the Dark Tower is better than both, so I guess I fall into that camp.

Did you read the Dome yet?

I am page 250ish.

Did anyone who liked the dark tower series actually like book 1 of the series?
My wife read the whole series then begged me to read it. (She cried while reading the last book)

I thought book 1 was god awful. It took a lot of arm twisting by my wife to even pick up book 2.

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Malice wrote:I think "It" is better than the Stand, personally. But the Dark Tower is better than both, so I guess I fall into that camp.

Did you read the Dome yet?

I am page 250ish.

See review above. The Dome isn't major King, but it's good.

My wife read the whole series then begged me to read it. (She cried while reading the last book)

I thought book 1 was god awful. It took a lot of arm twisting by my wife to even pick up book 2.

I like Book 1, but then, I like two and three better.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Malice wrote:

I thought the first one was actually the best, but then again, I found the whole series to be extremely disappointing and anti-climatic. Especially after the 3rd or 4th books, it goes downhill so fast you can feel the air on your face. I thought the first book was not overly long, had a mysterious air, and was interesting. Of course i'm basing this off of my impressions when I first read the book years ago. Maybe it wouldn't hold up as favorably now.

I probably won't read Under the Dome. I think i've read enough of King in my lifetime.

Reborn

Postby Reborn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:

I like the first book. Kinda don't like the second. Detta/Odetta parts were pretty boring i think.
Shhh. My common sense is tingling.

cha0tic

Postby cha0tic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

I thought it was pretty good in terms of plot and charecter development. It could have been trimmed down a bit though in terms of length though and it definetly doesnt compare to alot of his older stuff (It, Salems Lot, etc).

DeltaOne

Postby DeltaOne » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

I plan on buying this when it's out in paperback. I have plenty of King to read before I catch up to his newest novels, so I can wait.

Return to “Books”