What's the Temeraire series like?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

musashi1600

What's the Temeraire series like?

Postby musashi1600 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:18 am UTC

All I know is that it's a running series with five books published so far, and features the Napoleonic Wars with dragons. That sounds like interesting reading right there.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Apteryx

Re: What's the Temeraire series like?

Postby Apteryx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 am UTC

Interesting idea.

Pedestrian writing.

Palid characterisation.
The characters particularly annoyed me, they were trite,and lifeless. When you could easily find historical templates of some wild and crazy British Navy ( Or even the French Navy,and the US Navy, all had some amazing characters. Truth people much stranger than fiction. ) people to base your characters on ( as others have shown repeatedly. ), it really seemed as if each new characters character sprang merely from the needs of the moment the plot had reached.

In a word, uninspired.
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

They're a fun, if not particularly deep or literary, read.

The series does get kinda stale after a while, though. If you're really into fantasy novels and/or dragons, I'd recommend giving them a look, but if neither of those things seem really super-awesome to you, it's probably not worth your time.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

I found these to be thoroughly enjoyable. They worked especially well as audio books. There are some problems, especially in the relationship between the dragons and the British, but all in all a fun read. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Books”