Anti-Recommend a Book!

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: Anti-Recommend a Book!

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
That's the point. Different books provoke different reactions. It's good to see why someone thought X was terrible, even if you adore it.
UP NEXT - Foods I hate, so don't try them.
Sounds like an interesting idea for a thread. -ST
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Postby 01000011 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Lord of the flies.

Unless you want to manage to put yourself into a deep sleep, don't do it. Sure it sounds interesting kids going savage and killing each other but...

Oh god the horror :| It gets very repetitive, in both language and a little in the story line. There's too much to focus on, or at times, nothing at all, leaving you stuck in a dilemma of "Am I supposed to be focusing or sleeping?"
For those wondering, my username is binary for C, the C is for Courtney. Refer to me by any of the 3 names.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.Don't argue with off-topic posts. Report them. -ST

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 am UTC

lollypatrolly wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Oh, please do. I was going to say "No wonder all of his books have these bizarrely buff statues on the cover!", except that only applies to Faith of the Fallen.

I am suddenly reminded of the classic Houseplants of Gor - though I doubt Mr. Goodkind could possibly be selling so well if John Norman's BDSM fantasies were an appropriate comparison.

(I like how Google suggested "Houseplants of Gor" before I even finished typing "of".)

Well, sorry to derail the thread a bit, but here's a link: The Goodkind Parodies There's a load of stuff on that site, which sources several massive forum threads containing tens of thousands of posts. It was fairly hard to navigate, but I found it amazing that even some of the forum threads managed to stay funny and not break the sarcasm / satire routine for several pages straight. Those guys are dedicated, I'll give them that.

And on a different but still completely offtopic note, I took a look at your link and I feel a little dumber after reading that. Does it help having read the source material? :D

Wow. That is horrible/hilarious.
Reading through some of those, and the associated quotes from the books, I had no idea the books were that bad.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.Protip - if you don't like a thread, don't post. If you fail to see why it's good to hear why a book is bad, I don't know where to help you. - ST
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:The recommend a book thread promotes reading and will make you less ignorant even if you dislike the book. I didnt' care for _____ book, but I am smarter and more culturally aware for having done so.

Telling people to not read a book, because in your opinion, it was bad... thats just promoting ignorance. Its kind of an anti-XKCD mentality.

"Don't bother learning something new, because I tried it and wasn't very impressed. "

Anyway, commence promoting ignorance.

Don't read lord of the flies? REALLY?!? :roll:

Which is why people are supposed to provide an explanation as to why the book is bad. I suggested Chronicles of the Cheysuli because it's an absolutely ghastly book series and I believe it made me stupider to have read it. 'I don't like it' is not a valid reason - 'I don't like it because the writing is stilted and awkward, the fairy tale ending is pursued at all costs to the detriment of logically consistent narrative, and it contains a disturbing amount of 'incest is wincest'' is a valid reason.

Return to “Books”