What is your favourite book?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dustundersofa

Re: What is your favourite book?

Postby dustundersofa » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I live on fantasy and sci-fi, especially stuff by Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman; some stuff by Orson Scott Card; and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
And, randomly enough, I loved The Count of Monte Cristo.
ImageImage

Copper Top

Postby Copper Top » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Someone has probably said this one already but, the best book in existence known today is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
What is good? One must have a reference of "bad" for good to have any meaning. So in that respect, what is bad?

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Gah. Too many...Way too many...
Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep.
With the sheep, she went to sleep, went to sleep, went to sleep.
But the sheep turned out to be a ram,
Mary had a little lamb.

Moose10

Postby Moose10 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

One of my favorite books is Feed by M.T. Anderson. It is one of my favorites, because when I first read it, I liked it, but then the more I thought about it, the more it scared me. Then, I read it again, and liked it even more. It was probably the first book that had such an impact on me.

MysticalChicken

Postby MysticalChicken » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:19 am UTC

The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell. First book I ever read by her, and it just made me so happy when I was reading it.

(Previous favorite: Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger)

MisterSteve

Postby MisterSteve » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

The Picture of Dorian Gray - every sentence is crafted to perfection. I like that.
The Great Gatsby.
High Fidelity.
I also liked Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, but probably more for the subject matter than the writing itself. Very interesting book.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

LOTR.
It rains on the enemy too!

The Ocarina

Postby The Ocarina » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Fictional books: John Dies at the End, Ender's Game, The Fountainhead...
Non-Fiction: I forget the names, but there were these collections of scientific theories. Interesting read in small dosages.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:30 am UTC

The Dresden Files and the Codex Alera. Both by Jim Butcher.

chloeolhc

Postby chloeolhc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I love In a Land of Plenty by Tim Pears, it's a family history and one of those books where you feel like you've lost a friend when you finish it. He has written another book - In the Place of Fallen Leaves, which I don't like as much, but it's set where I live (Teign Valley, Devon, England) so I feel like I should promote it.

Also Stuart by Alexander Masters is fantastic - a biography of a homeless guy.

babyduo

Postby babyduo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Edward Carey's Observatory Mansions. Beautiful writing.

Also House of Leaves, The Time Traveler's Wife, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.... I have lots of favourites.

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Harry Potter Series. Specifically, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I like these books not just because they're fun to read, but also because of how they've inspired so many people to start writing, and even to start reading. That to me makes it one of the best books ever, even if you don't enjoy it yourself.
Pride of the South since 1990

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

For me, probably Ghormenghast, by Mervyn Peake.
That or ' A Wizard of Earthsea'

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:16 am UTC

The Citadel, by A.J. Cronin. None of you have heard of him. Now go read him!

PyroniusRex

Postby PyroniusRex » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Mine would be anyone of the Redwalls besides the ones that had the exact same basic plot as the first, oh and they're by Brian Jacques.

I like the idea of animals fighting so when you mix that with medieval times I'm in.
(Favorite Quote)
Kit Fisto's Padawan: You can't defeat us all.
General Grievous: OF COURSE I CAN!!!

serenity5x5

Postby serenity5x5 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

The Bone People - Keri Hulme
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Anything by C.S. Lewis and Isaac Asimov

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

I'd like to make some very unoriginal choices (I can't choose just one):

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

1984- George Orwell. First book I ever read that brought me into a different world completely alien to my own, yet believable and fully immersing. Winston's journey through the ministry of love and his struggle to love BB is still one of the coolest reading experiences I've ever had, I even stole with me the copy I first grabbed from my parents' bookshelf when I moved.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Günter

Postby Günter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:1984- George Orwell. First book I ever read that brought me into a different world completely alien to my own, yet believable and fully immersing. Winston's journey through the ministry of love and his struggle to love BB is still one of the coolest reading experiences I've ever had, I even stole with me the copy I first grabbed from my parents' bookshelf when I moved.
That's almost exactly what I was going to say. 1984 was the first really great book I read, and it holds a special place on my bookshelf (metaphorically speaking).

The Prince of Nothing series also comes to mind. R. Scott Bakker has a wonderful grasp of psychology, history, and the English language, and it shines through wonderfully in his books. For me, the mark of a good book is that it can make me simultaneously hate and fall in love with every single character, and the Prince of Nothing series does it perfectly.

The Hitchhiker's Guide series is also one of my favorites. It manages to be not only witty and enjoyable, but a very interesting sci-fi novel at the same time.

badgeroffire

Postby badgeroffire » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
On The Road - Jack Kerouac

I could name more, but then I'd be hogging more than my share of forum space.

cooldude76
Location: North Side of Chicago, Illinios, United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth,

Re:

Postby cooldude76 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

jfarquhar wrote: - His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, I loved these books and the subtext beneath them, I hope I NEVER EVER SEE THE MOVIE EVAR!!!!.

fix'd

Also:

The Domination (also known as the Draka Series) by S.M. Stirling.
The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher (ongoing, he wants to make moar than twenty books, all good reads)
Scott Westerfeld's EARLIEST works: Polymorph (excellent!) Fine Prey (Linguistical!) and Evolution's Darling (Robots, Spaceships, Artworld? :P)
Forgot Neil Gaimen, Sorry Neil... Also, all of Frank Miller's Batman stuff, and all of Alan Moore's Graphic novels, and a random variety of other comics/Graphic Novels from all over the authorsphere... I should make that a word. Whoops, I think I just did...
Forgot something REALLY important here: Reading this book is like a partial acid trip for a month (or however long it takes you to read 500 pages), its Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantee.... It's originally in French but it is published in English and easy to find.
All very good, Scott's stuff is all out of print, but check Amazon anyway because I got second hand ones that were in fine condition. Revolutionary Bullshit.
Oh and also, The Assassin Trilogy By Robert Ferrigno, and most of his other stuff. Great stuff.

<Gotta stop editing this and just remember>
"... And How are Things in the Hallway..."
-- A Clockwork Orange.

micahville

Postby micahville » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:19 am UTC

I think that my favorite book is from the Honor Harrington series. They are all pretty nerdy, but I got into them while I was younger, and they pretty much popped my science fiction cherry, hence my addiction. The characters are all very dynamic, and I read it and connect with them like old friends.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman is my favourite. First book I started reading again as soon as I finished it. I just listened to the Audio Book read by Lenny Henry over the holidays, and my opinion of the book has only increased more.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

bejoicing

Postby bejoicing » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:29 am UTC

definitely dirk gently's holistic detective agency by douglas adams (didn't like the rest of the series as much). alice walker's temple of my familiar and salinger's franny & zooey are also up there. something by tom robbins, probably skinny legs and all. oh oh! hotel new hampshire by john irving.

StrixVanAllen

Postby StrixVanAllen » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

# I love lots of books, but there are a few which are really special.

# Agatha Christie ones are great to relax after a difficult day, plenty of weird maths and crazy electrons jumping between prohibited energy levels. And I love sooo much books of Machado de Assis. I don't know if they have English versions (I guess so, because Harold Bloom wrote about them). Machado talks with the reader in a very teasing ironic way, and each person who reads Dom Casmurro has a opinion about Capitu's personality. :D
(...)
"God is dead", said Nietzche.
"Nietsche is dead", God replied.
(...)

Lambda42

Postby Lambda42 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

First off. Hi everyone! :)

As far as favorite book i'm going to hava to go with a whole series, Issac Asimov's(i bet i spelled it worng) Robot series. He wrote I,Robot and it was actually cool. unlike to movie.

fransisco4

Postby fransisco4 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Not my favourites, but close enough: The Analyst, by John Kantzenbach(i also liked his other books)
1984,Animal Farm, by you already know.

SillyPhonoGraphic

Postby SillyPhonoGraphic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Armor, when I finally get back home I will give the authors name.

It was an amazing book, and distincly reminded me of the Halo series, but.. more complex and engaging.

I also agree with all the greats already listed, including Orson Scott Card, Hitchcock, Pullmun, Clarck, Greg Bear ( Eon, Eternity, Blood Music ]short story, but worth reading for any die hard, hard-core sci-fi fan] Moving Mars) Niven, Asimov, Et All..

ubergeek09

Postby ubergeek09 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

2001 A Space Odyssey

I read it two or three times and it just never gets boring. It is a classic.

bpatrick

Postby bpatrick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

My favorite-favorite is Infinite Jest. It's so funny and interesting and engaging and smart and honest. It's like every great book you've ever read in one great book. David Foster Wallace switches styles like a virtuoso; flat-out magic. Before it was deposed by Infinite Jest my favorite had been Catcher in the Rye, which isn't very original to say but what are you gonna do - it's fantastic. I also like John Barth and Thomas Pynchon and Nabokov.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, although An Empire of Wealth (history of US economy) and the newest Alexander Hamilton biography are close behind

jbn

Postby jbn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

I have a hard time giving up on Neuromancer and Pattern Recognition, two books by William Gibson. The rest of his body of work is wicked as well but those two would be my favorites. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk is another favorite.

There are plenty of books I've enjoyed thoroughly, but I've read the ones above multiple times and would love to squeeze them in again.
Don't question that, it's a rhetoric answer.
Crai, a cyberpunk project
My assorted artwork at deviantart

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

bpatrick wrote:My favorite-favorite is Infinite Jest. It's so funny and interesting and engaging and smart and honest. It's like every great book you've ever read in one great book. David Foster Wallace switches styles like a virtuoso; flat-out magic. Before it was deposed by Infinite Jest my favorite had been Catcher in the Rye, which isn't very original to say but what are you gonna do - it's fantastic. I also like John Barth and Thomas Pynchon and Nabokov.
Yay, another cool person. My feelings for Pynchon are constantly shifting. On one hand, he's one the most knowledgeable writers of out time, and that's uncontestable. On the other, he's also the most infuriating. There's enough material on any given page of his books for an entire novel, and there's so much brilliance I can't examine it all.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

bpatrick

Postby bpatrick » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Yay, I'm cool! Thanks! I often feel Pynchon is needlessly difficult to read - which annoys me - but at other times it's almost a rush he's so good. I feel like the difference between whether he seems good or annoying is me and how I'm reading him -- I have to be able to get on that Pynchon frequency. I feel like one needs to be from Pynchon's generation to easily get all his references -- which is one reason I love David Foster Wallace so much - he's a genius and I get it.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 am UTC

I'm always stunned at Pynchon's ability to write of another time as if he lived through it. So then I don't feel too bad that Against the Day completely escaped me, as there are few people today that lived through the beginning of World War I. I'd say none, but I'm sure I'd be wrong. At the same time, however, he layers in references to the current culture and generation. I paid enough attention to AtD to catch the references to Tetris (the russian anti-Chums drop bricks in arrangements of four- tetronimos) and Call of Cthulu (when Kit's brother brings the relic to that South African town). There's plenty more, but that's what I saw.

His style is almost dreamlike, but in a way where, if I had dreams like that I wouldn't wake up. Hyper-reality would be a better term, or hysterical realism for the pompous.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

bpatrick wrote:I have to be able to get on that Pynchon frequency.
There are numerous ways to do this, but not many of them are legal. If you're thinking GR, I highly recommend Weisenburgers's Companion to GR. Also, it is worth checking out his introduction to 1984. Here it is. It'll just give you some idea of where Pynchon's coming from, as there's so little known about him.

You know what else? I watched Big Lebowski again recently (for the million and fourth time), and it was the first time since reading GR. I have to say, the parallels are uncanny. The conspiratorial unfolding of the plot around a naive American who smokes a lot of weed. The acid trip flashback with musical antics. The Nihilists ("cheap nihilism") trying to pull one over on the man. (This reminded me of the Hereros in GR.) The Pig Bodine-ishness of Walter. And much else besides. However, I've since heard that Vineland offers an even more fruitful comparison.

Oh, BTW, since I'm here I might as well claim Gravity's Rainbow as my favorite book. It really fucked me up something good. There's a healthy dose of paranoia for you to take you to the next level of initiation into the heart of darkness and silliness. Sorry, but House of Leaves didn't even come close to making the same intensity of an impression on me. Nothing has, and I doubt anything else will -- unless it comes from Pynchon's pen. (Or Melville's or Dostoevsky's.)
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

bpatrick

Postby bpatrick » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Thanks for that link, nevskey1! Fantastic. Vineland doesn't get much love but I think it's amazing - and Zoyd is a nice doppelganger for the Dude. Pynchon seems to be the type of artist, like Kubrick, which can divide one's life into distinct "before" and "after" periods -- there's no one quite like him and you're never the same.

Yurez

Postby Yurez » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

On Basilisk Station by David Weber
Sphere by Michael Crichton
Mort by Terry Pratchett
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:36 am UTC

Six-way toss-up between 1984, Animal Farm, and Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, A Clockwork Orange by Burgess, and The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

Yurez wrote:Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I thought this was a great book. Have you read Good Omens?
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Return to “Books”