Book Identification!

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Book Identification!

Postby Owijad » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:30 am UTC

Owijad, at it again with the vague descriptions and burning curiosity.

Okay, it was a childrens/young adult book, where a kid goes to magic school, and some teachers are turning students' souls into thread that a soul/thread monster is using to weave it's self. Anyone?

Again, anyone else who has a vague recollection of a book, post what you know here and we'll try and help you out.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:45 am UTC

I don't know about yours, but I have one.

It is a book, Fantasy, set on a giant floating thing, almost like a city. The people on the floating city want to get to a place somewhere where they can capture a really big sea creature and get it to tow the city. There are lots of different species of sapient creature on the city, including one with a type of blood that freezes on contact with air. The main character is a woman.

Also, connected to the above story is another set in the same world, but the plot involves giant moths that suck out people's souls.

What are these books please?
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Severus Severance

Postby Severus Severance » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 am UTC

I know the first one -- that's Under the Cat's Eye by Gillian Rubenstein. Haven't read it in ages, but it sounds like that book.

Also, I remember the giant moths. I think they were in a fantasy story where one sucked out the king's soul or something. I'll have to check at the library next time ago, because I remember that story being in a collection of fantasy/horror stories.

(I started this thread on another forum [now down for repairs], but it didn't succeed.)

McHell

Postby McHell » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:15 am UTC

pollywog wrote:It is a book, Fantasy, set on a giant floating thing, almost like a city. [SNIP]
Also, connected to the above story is another set in the same world, but the plot involves giant moths that suck out people's souls.

It sounds like it's a bit mixed-up, but it has to be Perdido Street station [second, actually older book] and The Scar, by China Mieville.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:16 am UTC

A series of children's books, fantasy, that reminds me of A Wrinkle in Time but is not that series.

There are three (or four?) children who get different powers. I remember one of them can make illusions, and uses that power near the beginning of the book to get free burgers by handing the cashier illusionary money.

In one of the books they are transported to a far-off desert world with some kind of futuristic city in it.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

Here's one for identification as well: a group of about 3 children stumble on a mansion where they make friends with a fanciful child who turns out to be daughter of the housekeeper or something. They all discover a collection of magical jewelry and have adventures. The ring turns the wearer invisible for a set amount of time. Another piece of jewelry turns the wearer into a statue, but since statues come to life at night they are able to have adventures at night. Another piece grows the wearer to 40 feet tall. I think at one point they were conning a bunch of gypsies or were pretending to be gypsies at a fair, putting on shows using the invisibility ring.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:57 am UTC

McHell wrote:
pollywog wrote:It is a book, Fantasy, set on a giant floating thing, almost like a city. [SNIP]

It sounds like it's a bit mixed-up, but it has to be Perdido Street station [second, actually older book] and The Scar, by China Mieville.

Yep, that's it. Thanks very much.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:A series of children's books, fantasy, that reminds me of A Wrinkle in Time but is not that series.

There are three (or four?) children who get different powers. I remember one of them can make illusions, and uses that power near the beginning of the book to get free burgers by handing the cashier illusionary money.

In one of the books they are transported to a far-off desert world with some kind of futuristic city in it.

I think I know the series to which you're referring... was one of the children an alien? Blue-skinned...?

I have a copy of one of the books at home, I know. But home is um, far at present.

DIADEM. I think it was called Diadem. Reffering to how the worlds of the universe were in a circular web, rather like a diadem. Closer to the center you were, the more powerful magic became. On the outer edges magic was weak, but towards the middle it got stronger. The kids could use crystals to amplify their powers..?
Or am I thinking of something else?
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

I distinctly remember the Diadem series (I used to love it). In the first book, one of the guys turned a one-dollar bill into a twenty, so this might be correct.

@Bakemaster
Are the kids from different worlds? There was a guy from Earth, a tomboy from some medieval world, and Pixel, who had blue skin and lived in a world that was obsessed with VR.

If so, it's Diadem.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

No, those aren't the books I'm thinking of. These kids were either siblings or close friends, and they definitely all came from a town on Earth.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Gadren

Re: Book Identification!

Postby Gadren » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

Owijad wrote:Okay, it was a childrens/young adult book, where a kid goes to magic school, and some teachers are turning students' souls into thread that a soul/thread monster is using to weave it's self. Anyone?

Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:08 pm UTC

A book in which some logic professor with some friends could to another world by reading outloud some long logical expressions and and in that world they could do magic because if the spell-building was following some basic rules they quickly picked up.
From Russia with math.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

I did a Google search to try to find this out (it sounds familiar to me, but I can't think of the title) and this post was top of my results. Man, Google are getting fast at indexing the web.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

EstLladon wrote:A book in which some logic professor with some friends could to another world by reading outloud some long logical expressions and and in that world they could do magic because if the spell-building was following some basic rules they quickly picked up.

It kinda sounds like the Wizardry series by Rick Cook except in Rick Cook they are computer programmers and Wiz(I think that was his name), the main character, is able to program spells using Linux. In the first book, he is summoned to the fantasy world when they are looking for a great wizard to save them from the horrible end of reality or whatever. But he can't do magic at all! (Gasp!) Eventually he finds out that he can create magical effects using a standardized system that greatly resembles a programming language. In the later books he brings a bunch of other computer programmers over and teaches them how to do it too. It's pretty funny as the magic words to use the spells they wrote are like "EXECUTE Bibbity Boppity Boo.exe which shoots a fireball.

Similarly, it seems a bit like the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg where a college professor runs a weekly tabletop RPG and brings all his players to a real version of magicland, but only 2 of them were actually able to use magic. Great series though.

I'm stumped on the actual book though.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:I did a Google search to try to find this out (it sounds familiar to me, but I can't think of the title) and this post was top of my results. Man, Google are getting fast at indexing the web.

I find threads from this board at or near the top of Google's results for many of my searches that are prompted by said threads. It's slightly nervous-making.

Return to “Books”