favorite lines/quotes from books

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you underline, highlight, or in some way mark your favorite lines?

yes - easier to find them later
5%
yes - I usually mark books when I read so marking favorite lines is just part of the deal
4%
no - writing in a book is desecrating a book
62%
no - I don't usually find passages that I find worth marking
2%
sometimes - only if it's really good
13%
otter
14%

Total votes: 510

cephalopod9

Re: favorite lines/quotes from books

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:59 am UTC

It hurts me to damage a book. Even if it's a little tiny tear made by turning the page wrong in a textbook that I don't even like, my heart just sinks.
I'm pretty terrible at quoting. My mind has this habit of paraphrasing or something, and I tend to not stop reading long enough to get determined and make marks on the pages. Also, I'm reading library books, which I just feel rude drawing in.

So instead of quotes I'll share this thing I found in a library book

Eoin

Postby Eoin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

I never mark anything in a (fiction) book. If the quote is good enough, it should stick in your mind at least well enough that you recall where it fits into the story.

A few of my favourites (no doubt mis-quoted) from memory

George R. R. Martin wrote:I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health.

Douglas Adams wrote:I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Oscar Wilde wrote:If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, Otherwise they'll kill you.

yesway

favorite Phrases and Quotes.

Postby yesway » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 am UTC

this is a place where you can tell everyone your favorite phrases and quotes.

mine is Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.

pKp

Postby pKp » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:00 am UTC

Toni Morrisson wrote:A joke. A nigger joke. That was the way it got started.

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, but this opening line is just perfect.

Also, I don't write in books. I just find it unpractical. I like to copy poems I like in order to memorize them, but not in the books themselves (would be impractical :D )
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

yesway

Postby yesway » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:45 am UTC

here is another one i remembered. thought i should mention it

I know not what the weopons of WWIII will be faught with but i do know that the weopons of WWIV will be faught with sticks and stones.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Man, whoever wrote that book should really hire an editor.

pKp

Postby pKp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

This is an Einstein quote, and not from a book. GIYM 8)
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

mgoldb2

Postby mgoldb2 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

I have never written in a book other then college text books (and very un-often in college text books even, I much prefer having a notebook next to me where I can reorganize information in my own words, quicker for me when going back to study) but I do have a large word documented sorted with 100's of quotes that I pulled from various places, books, songs, movies, comedians, scientists, politicians etc.

I either type them in my self being very careful to get it exact or find a website I can copy and past the quote from.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:19 am UTC

I use a tiny dog ear to mark favourite passages, probably 1-7 per book.

Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
Forgive me, Father, according to the multitude of they mercies, for I have lusted in my heart to break a man's skull and scatter the stench of his brains across several peoples' back yards.
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gofyr

Postby Gofyr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

Working on Catch 22 for my Literature course, so the book is now marked with highlighter, dogears, pencil underlinings, lots.

The key page marked so I never miss it - the actual Catch 22.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," [Yossarian] observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age

"How could a man become a god?"
"By living in a very pragmatic society."
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Chrome

Re:

Postby Chrome » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:35 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:"Chicago came on slowly, like a migraine."
American Gods, Neil Gaiman

The quote is nice, but migraines don't come slowly.

All my favorite quotes are from endings, so I can't post them. Except, maybe...

this is not for you

all lowercase, first sentence of House of Leaves. I'm going to get it tattooed.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

William Somerset Maugham in Of Human Bondage wrote:Society had 3 arms in its contest with the individual, laws, public opinion and the conscience: the first two could be met by guile, guile is the only weapon the weak have against the strong: Common opinion put the matter well when it stated that sin consisted in being found out; but conscience was the traitor within the gates; it fought in each heart the battle of society, and caused the individual to throw himself, a wanton sacrifice, to the prosperity of his enemy. For it was clear that the two were irreconcilable, the state and the individual conscious of himself. That uses the individual for its own ends trampling upon him if he thwarts is, rewarding him with medals, pensions, honours when he serves it faithfully; this, strong only in his independence, threads his way through the state, for convenience sake, paying in money or service for certain benefits, but with no sense of obligation; and indifferent to rewards, asks only to be left alone.

The last bit always stands out in my mind when it comes time to vote or do taxes.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

wishmaster

Postby wishmaster » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

i only mark non-fiction

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

Neal Stephenson is so great for quotes:

Samuel Pepys: "Damn! I'm late for my next conspiracy!"
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

creamsoda2090

Postby creamsoda2090 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Cassidy knew very well that he could take men, otherwise strong and brave men, to places they had never been before. Places where life and death overlapped in surreal valleys of muscle gloom and heart despair, where one begins to realize once more that nothing really matters at all and that stopping(death?) is all; where all men can finally get the slick skin of civilization off and see that soft pink glow inside that tells you, in both cunnilingus and bullet wounds - that there are no secrets.

From Once A Runner by John L Parker Jr.

This quote inspired my signature.

Once A Runner is a genuinely good book, but to a competitive runner, it can be world shaking. If you run, pick it up. It recently (within the last decade I should say) underwent a second printing since copies from the first printing were selling for $250 dollars on Ebay.
of bullet wounds and cunnilingus

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

in The Passion, Jeanette Winterson wrote:San Servolo. It used to be just for the rich and mad but Bonaparte, who was egalitarian about lunacy at least, opened it to the public and set aside funds for its upkeep. It was still faded splendour inside. The rich and mad like their comforts. There was a spacious visitors' room where a lady might take tea while her son sat opposite in a strait jacket. At one time the warders had worn uniform and shiny boots and any inmate who drooled on those boots was shut away for a week. Not many inmates drooled.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

in Medea, 431b.c., Euripides wrote:You have navigated with raging soul far from the paternal home, passing beyond the seas' double rocks and now you inhabit a foreign land.

opsomath

Postby opsomath » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

"It is by bearing shield and armor that we become strong, and by bearing hardship that we become brave. There is no other way."

Gene Wolfe, The Wizard Knight

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

opsomath wrote:"It is by bearing shield and armor that we become strong, and by bearing hardship that we become brave.[/i]
I reckon that it is by laying down our shield and armor that we become brave, and by bearing hardship that we become strong.

opsomath

Postby opsomath » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:
opsomath wrote:"It is by bearing shield and armor that we become strong, and by bearing hardship that we become brave.[/i]
I reckon that it is by laying down our shield and armor that we become brave, and by bearing hardship that we become strong.

Welp, take it up with Mr. Wolfe.

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

No author is a better source of humorous quotes than Terry Pratchett. Here are three random examples:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

It could not be happening because this sort of thing did not happen. Any contradictory evidence could be safely ignored.

The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:55 am UTC

I mark nothing. It interrupts my rereading later.
I use the internet to refind my favorite quotes. Here are some.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
English novelist (1812 - 1870)

Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death.

Your worst enemy, he reflected, was your nervous system. At any moment the tension inside you was liable to translate itself into some visible symptom.

Until the become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.

Sanity is not statistical.

All of those were from George Orwell's masterpiece 1984.

We Earth Men have a talent for ruining big, beautiful things. The only reason we didn't set up hot-dog stands in the midst of the Egyptian temple of Karnak is because it was out of the way and served no large commercial purpose.

"Who wants to see the Future, who ever does? A man can face the Past, but to think - the pillars crumbled, you say? And the sea empty, and the canals dry, and the maidens dead, and the flowers withered?" The Martian was silent, but then he looked ahead. "But there they are. I see them. Isn't that enough for me? They wait for me now, no matter what you say."

Those were both from The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

This post is way too long. I apologize.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Nonsense that your post is not too long! I love little bits of books. Decontextualized, they take on a life of their own. For three pages of thread, there aren't that many, really.

I do argue, however, that the quotes that speak to me from paper pages are often not online. I was actually made to memorize and recite the first paragraph of A Tale of Two Cities in 10th grade! An excellent task. But often the things that get repeated are kind of broad philosophies or catchy sentiments. I just like weird pieces of humanity.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Some weird pieces of humanity are wonderful, and others are the ugliest things possible. What I like about Orwell and Bradbury (and Poe at times) is that they are the first and the second at the same time. They wouldn't be nearly so fantastically artful if they weren't about the hideous side of humanity.

I went off on a tangent again. Sorry.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:35 am UTC

I think you're right. A mirror that shows all our sides is a masterful thing.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:24 am UTC

I rarely remember quotes; I do remember that quotes were in a certain place, though, so I have gone to Wikiquote to pull some up:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.

From Dune.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

From LOTR.

There're more I'm sure that I can't quite think of.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

JayDee

Re:

Postby JayDee » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am UTC

Hmm, Hammer already said my favourite, so another from American gods
Neil Gaiman, American Gods wrote:'Media. I think I have heard of her. Isn't she the one who killed her children?'
'Different woman, same deal.'

There are plenty of Discworld footnotes I love, my favourite would be from Thud:
Terry Pratchett wrote:Vimes had never got on with any game much more complex than darts. Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks round, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

Orson Scott Card, in Xenocide, wrote:"Maybe I'm not really alive at all," said Jane. "Maybe because I never passed through the crucible of natural selection, I lack the will to survive."

Sawta

Postby Sawta » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:48 am UTC

I try to keep books I own in pristine condition.

I agree that "passing notes" to others that will read something that you've already read can be interesting, but the same can be said for writing on a public bathroom wall..[obligatory link]

The only difference being that, you can (usually) remove what's been written on a wall..and even if you can't, it's not important because it's not the walls purpose. However, when this comes to written text, I feel that you are (potientionally) harming the flow of the story for other readers.

I don't plan on selling my small amount of books, but if I do, I don't think I'd like the idea of forcing others to read my little thoughts while they are trying to enjoy a plot line.

The only two snippets that come to mind are from a book I'm reading right now (which I'm nearly done with :3)

Linus Torvalds wrote:Taken from: "Just for fun"

There are three things that have meaning in life. They are motivational factors for everything that you do in your life. The first is survival, the second is social order, and the third is entertainment. Everything in life progresses in that order.

Another thing that I quickly learned during my first days on U.S. soil: Root beer sucks.

thejdawg

Postby thejdawg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Don't tell me about your family, your childhood, your friends, or your feelings. Tell me about the things you think.

Ayn Rand, in The Fountainhead.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:17 am UTC

From Terry Pratchett, who I've just realised is one of my favourite authors.
Night Watch wrote:Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

Monstrous Regiment wrote:And the new day was a great big fish.

Going Postal wrote:The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail.

Jack Kerouac wrote:To the children and the innocent it's all the same
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

One of my favorites is from Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny. It's the awesome response that the main character, Sam, makes when confronted about the idea that perhaps he has gotten too soft and is unable to fight a pantheon of gods:

Sam wrote:"I shall tear these stars from out the heavens and hurl them in the faces of the gods, if this be necessary. I shall blaspheme in every Temple throughout the land. I shall take lives as a fisherman takes fish, by the net, if this be necessary. I shall mount me again up to the Celestial City, though every step be a flame or a naked sword and the way be guarded by tigers. One day will the gods look down from Heaven and see me upon the stair, bringing them the gift they fear most. That day will the new Yuga begin.
"But first I must meditate for a time."

Gives me chills when I read it ^.^
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

Hexadecimator

Postby Hexadecimator » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:42 am UTC

I write in books for school, since it is extremely helpful in finding quotes later on. However, for pleasure reading I just read it for the story. If I want to find a quote, I will happily read the whole book again :P

Gem wrote:"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams is infinitely quotable:
"Life is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast."
"It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the phrase, 'as pretty as an airport.' Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort."

Unfortunately, I only remember quotes that are funny. Those of a serious or epic nature never seem to stick.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

Desty Nova wrote:Now becomes the past in an instant -- and everyone will eventually die! Destiny triumphs over human knowledge and goes mad! That is the way of things! I spit upon this frail, crazed world! I spit upon the second law of thermodynamics!"

Battle Angel Alita. Manga; not really a book. Still, great quote.

And of course, the infinitely quotable Rorschach from Alan Moore's Watchmen:

Rorschach wrote:Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire thread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

... and I'll look down, and whisper "No."

Rorschach wrote: Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.

Was Rorschach.

Does that answer your questions, Doctor?

Rorschach wrote:Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:51 am UTC

I just remembered this one, and it's more of an entire story than a quote.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:Baby Shoes: For sale. Never worn.

I hope one day I will be able to make six words say that much.

The Hermit

Postby The Hermit » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:04 am UTC

I don't mark books. If I want to write a note or something from the book I write on a piece of paper and then make a note where it's from. I've never really felt the urge to make the notes in the book itself. Reading a book that has been marked makes me furious. It's really annoying to have your attention being pulled unnaturally to something, especially if its something you wouldn't of noted in the first place.

my favorite quote is in Cyrano: "A diamond in the ash which I take in spite of you; and that is my panache."

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami from norwegian wood
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:15 am UTC

OTTER!

I don't like writing in books, but I *do* mark where there's something I want to remember.. not on the book physically itself, but I'll toss a scrap of paper to mark the spot, or I'll use those little sticky tabs meant for textbooks on the page.

And one of my favourites...
Redemption of Althalus wrote:It would be sheer folly to try to conceal the true nature of Althalus, for his flaws are the stuff of legend. He is, as all men know, a thief, a liar, an occasional murderer, an outrageous braggart, and a man devoid of even the slightest hint of honor. He is, moreover, a frequent drunkard, a glutton, and a patron of ladies who are no better than they should be.

He is an engaging sort of rogue, however, quick-witted and vastly amusing. It has even been suggested in some circles that if Althalus really wanted to do it, he could make trees giggle and mountains laugh right out loud.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:27 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
Sanity is not statistical.
Probably one of my favorite quotes of all time.

Don't forget the good quote from Book 2, Chapter 7:
George Orwell, 1984 wrote: If there was hope, it must lie in the proles, because only there, in those swarming disregarded masses, eighty-five percent of the population of Oceania, could the force to destroy the Party ever be generated.
Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.

While we're on the topic of "classics":
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 wrote:If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none.
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 wrote:Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.
George Orwell, Animal Farm wrote:Man is the only real enemy we have. Remove Man from the scene, and the root cause of hunger and overwork is abolished for ever. Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself.

And some less "classic" works
Terry Goodkind, Faith of the Fallen wrote:Every persons life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.
Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner wrote:There is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft....When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore wrote:My grandpa always said that asking questions is embarrassing for a moment, but not asking's embarrassing for a lifetime.

Return to “Books”