Books you never finished

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Semidi

Re: Books you never finished

Postby Semidi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

I moved to Salt Lake City, home to the Mormons. People kept bringing up the whole "LDS" thing, so I decided it would be best for me to read the Book of Mormon to better understand the religion. I stole a copy out of a hotel room and tried to read it. I would include this the books I hated thread, but I usually finish even the books I hate. Not this one.

God damn is that a terribly written book. I could only get through about twenty pages before quitting so I didn’t go insane. The same words and phrases are repeated over and over, for instance:

About 3 out of 4 lines begins with the word "And." It’s like the man had an “and” fetish
About half the lines begin with
"And it came to pass."

God should have sent Joseph Smith a thesaurus along with some golden tablets... And some writing lessons... and tell him to stop trying to rip-off the King James version of the Bible.

Here’s an example,

Spoiler:
6 And it came to pass that we did pitch our tents by the seashore; and notwithstanding we had suffered many afflictions and much difficulty, yea, even so much that we cannot write them all, we were exceedingly rejoiced when we came to the seashore; and we called the place Bountiful, because of its much fruit.
7 And it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had been in the land of Bountiful for the space of many days, the voice of the Lord came unto me, saying: Arise, and get thee into the mountain. And it came to pass that I arose and went up into the mountain, and cried unto the Lord.
8 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters.
9 And I said: Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?
10 And it came to pass that the Lord told me whither I should go to find ore, that I might make tools.
11 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make a bellows wherewith to ablow the fire, of the skins of beasts; and after I had made a bellows, that I might have wherewith to blow the fire, I did smite two stones together that I might make fire.

Also, it keeps repeating I, (someguy'sname), did X. It's like Joseph Smith was saying something to extent of, "No seriously, this is a translation, I'm not bullshitting it--look! It even says "I, Nephi! If I had made this all up, it wouldn't say that, now would it?"
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Moby Dick (started reading it in middle school, never picked it up again)
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand- I absolutely despise this book! I got halfway through it before I threw it down. I should have done it sooner! What a waste of time!
Live with passion. Die with passion.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Grunts.

The basic gist of the story is this - Standard fantasy world, the Last Battle Between Good And Evil is taking place, and Evil is Losing...

And then some Orcs stumble on an old dragon's hoard that, for some reason, has a bunch of US Military equipment. And they're hit with a spell giving them the knowledge to use it and the desire to form a hierarchy similar to the US Marines... only Orky. Has a strong Warhammer 40k feel to it, due to that.

But the Orcs are the only ones who get the tanks and guns and such.

From there, it follows Evil's.. or rather, the Orc's eventual conquering of the world. And eventual ignoring/overthrowing of the Dark Lord as he has no idea what to do once he's won.. and the orcs do.

Still.. never finished it. Somewhere around the last quarter of the book it lost my interest and I never picked it back up. Might even be remembering little bits and pieces here and there incorrectly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

Usually I only stop books that are truly terrible- 'The Looking Glass Wars' for example. After 100 pages, I was so disgusted that it was all I could do not to pitch the book into an oven. That wouldn't be censorship, it would be mercy.

For some reason, I've never been able to finish a book of Arthurian legend. I enjoy it, but I bog down in the last 100 pages or so and just never finish. I never finished 'L'morte d'Arthur' or 'The Once and Future King'.

Also to the person who mentioned not being able to get through 'Silent Spring', don't worry about it too much. It was all junk science by a paranoid delusional woman who wanted to blame any and everyone for her cancer. Everything she said has long been debunked.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Never finished Wizard and Glass mainly because my physics teacher didn't like me reading in class.( We were supposed to be doing homework. Not that homework was worth any points in the class, and not that I ever did the homework).

Never did remember to get it back :/

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

I never finished a lot of books, which is why I now read one main book at a time.
For example, I have a large collection of Redwall books, 3 of which I actually read.

mayhaps

Postby mayhaps » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Usually I finish the books I read for my own pleasure, but sometimes have to abandon school-assigned books.

I couldn't get through Utopia... the topic is of no interest to me, and the format which the guy talked in was frustrating, taking into account the fact that it was written a while ago.

Can't come up with any others right now.

Balalaika Gap

Postby Balalaika Gap » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

I will pretty frequently not finish a book if I'm not getting into it, but the one I keep trying and trying to finish is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I love DFW's other books but... not this one. I want to like it though, so I've started it four times. I always end up finding something more interesting to read and abandoning it.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Orcs, by Stan Nicholls.

I get how you are subverting fantasy tropes, but when all your book is is bland action, annoyingly cliched sex scenes and subverting of fantasy tropes (Followed by time for you to realise just how clever he is) I am not interested.

jakkle

Postby jakkle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

the lord of the rings - the fellowship of the ring. 100 pages in and still in the damn shire, i put it down and never looked back. Might try again at some point though - i LOVED the hobbit
geek love in its noblest form.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Totally not worth it. I recently tried to read it whilst skipping anything that wans't specifically plot related, still dry and boring, sadly.

jakkle

Postby jakkle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

thanks for the tip

maybe i'll just go watch all the films instead :D
geek love in its noblest form.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Never finished the Prince Of Nothing series. I heard so many good things about it from fans of the Song Of Ice And Fire books, but it was so unbearably bleak that I found it impossible to read.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

I kinda liked Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, but couldn't bring myself to finish actually reading it. After a bit I felt like I had already begun to reread it(Rand's Fault!), without having even finished it, and didn't feel like doing that.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

skastonishing

Postby skastonishing » Thu May 01, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
Love in the Time of Cholera- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Carrie (Only because I lost it)- Stephen King
A Year in Provence- ??
The Art of Nonfiction- Ayn Rand
The Inferno- Dante Alighieri (sp?)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- J.K. Rowling (Don't kill me!)

I have a habit of not finishing books but still cracking out some really great projects about them.
Disclaimer: I do finish books, often.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Thu May 01, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

For the longest time, I couldn't finish "Shadow Puppets", by Orson Scott Card, but I finally did. Even books I hate, I alwasy finish. Even if it takes me forever. When I don't finish it, then it has to be freakin' awful.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

Anarchy965

Re:

Postby Anarchy965 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:Catch 22. I read about 80 pages, and when I realized it wasn't going anywhere, I put it down.

I loved Catch 22. One of the most hilarious books I ever read. I never finished the sequel "Closing Time" though. It was incredibly boring.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun May 18, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

The last Hitchhiker's Guide book; I got about halfway through and realized it wasn't going anywhere new.
William Forstchein's Rally Cry, the first book in the Lost Regiment series. It's a great book, but about halfway through it, I decided I didn't like reading. Kind of depressing really.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Ramses IV

Re:

Postby Ramses IV » Mon May 19, 2008 12:08 am UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:The History of the Peloponnesian War By Thucydides

Good Gods man! You tried to read that?

on topic: The only book I can think of right now is A Gentleman's Argument.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon May 19, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Heh. Thucydides didn't even finish it himself...

I read it for school though, and quite liked it. Herodotus on the other hand I skipped the bits I didn't have to read.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon May 19, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:I never finished a lot of books, which is why I now read one main book at a time.
For example, I have a large collection of Redwall books, 3 of which I actually read.

I read a bunch of them back in the day...

The only book that I haven't actually finished reading that i started was the one Animorphs' book i tried to assault myself with.

fusillade2

Postby fusillade2 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu May 22, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Balalaika Gap wrote:I will pretty frequently not finish a book if I'm not getting into it, but the one I keep trying and trying to finish is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I love DFW's other books but... not this one. I want to like it though, so I've started it four times. I always end up finding something more interesting to read and abandoning it.
Oh man it's so worth it to finish this book. I read it nonstop over a month and I loved every one of those 1,200 single spaced, 8-point (sometimes 5-point) font pages.
So yeah, the length is a little prohibitive, but the story is phenomenal. Which part do you peter out in?

I will say however, that DFW is probably best suited to short fiction.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu May 22, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

I have way too many of these.

Sagan's Cosmos
Ben Franklin's autobiography
a biography of Edison
The second in a three part narrative non-fiction series on the Civil War

Crisis on Doona(this was godawful and I stopped after about 3 chapters)
Atlas Shrugged - I finished it, but I skimmed the last half. Jon Galt's 90 page rant I knocked down to about 10 pages.
The planet earth series by Hubbard. I really liked Battelfield: Earth. I read the first in this series, and it was ok. I bought the next 4 without reading them. When I finally started them - ugh. Terrible.

Le Guin's 'The Lathe of Heaven' - didn't get into it, then started other stuff. I should really finish it.
The Red Queen - about evolutionary biology - stopped mostly because all the biology went way over my head.

Complete works of Shakespeare - grew bored with it, and interpreting the language grew too taxing
Hyperion series by Simmons
Beserker series by Saberhagen

A history of ancient Greece - I really want to learn this stuff, but hearing about pottery types put me off

I also got to the ends of The Once and Future King and The Return of the King, and for some reason stopped with about 50 pages left. I have no idea why.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 22, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Le Guin's 'The Lathe of Heaven' - didn't get into it, then started other stuff. I should really finish it.

I found that book well worth the effort, cleverly done I think

emceng wrote:Complete works of Shakespeare - grew bored with it, and interpreting the language grew too taxing

You tried to read literally dozens of works in one sitting? I'm not surprised you gave up... But then again, they're plays, and work best as live plays in my opinion.

emceng wrote:A history of ancient Greece - I really want to learn this stuff, but hearing about pottery types put me off

Yeah, historical writers about that age sometimes like to base books on the facts- and history then can mostly be read through their pottery... but if you're not interested in archaeology...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kesho

Postby Kesho » Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 am UTC

The most recent book that I left unfinished was Titus Groan, of the Gormenghast Trilogy. It was entertaining at times, but quite a good portion of it just felt like filler. Plus, it was a library book so I would've owed the library money, already having renewed it too many times.

Also, when I was a little kid I had a terrible habit of leaving books unfinished, so I suppose I could add half of the Dinotopia series to my list.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 am UTC

The only time I stop reading books is if I dislike them. Well, usually; the exception to that rule was It, by Stephen King. Say what you like about "genre fiction", but that book was brilliant and on par with my favourite "literature". But other duties made me put it down, and I just never picked it back up again, with maybe 60 pages left to go.
I compulsively edit posts.

invadermonks

Postby invadermonks » Sat May 31, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Catch 22 - I found the attempt at humor more annoying than funny, and any time I mention it I feel like I'm the only person who disliked the book ( a lot of my friends cite it as the only book they had to read in high school they enjoyed)

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Sat May 31, 2008 7:10 am UTC

See, I never saw Catch-22's humor as universal. I love that book. My sister hates it. We even have fairly similar senses of humor, but it's one of those things that you do or don't find funny.

Hitman_Hart

Postby Hitman_Hart » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

There are actually a quite numerous number of books that I never finished, but the ones that I cared about the most and remember is the Sherlock Holmes series published by Penguin Books. I always take them out of the library, enjoy them and read them, but I never once finished the whole book since I always stop at 3/4 of the books for some reason until I had to bring it back to the library. It's truly a great series but as I go on and on, I just started to lose interest and procrastinated reading it more and more until the book was due.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I started it more than ten years ago, and stopped partway through The Two Towers. I still tell myself I'll go back to it someday.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Laura wrote:I didn't finish Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, either. Bored me to sleep quite well, though, so it's still relatively close to my bed for those long insomniac nights.

Really? I finished it in 2 days, it was so interesting.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Leonard, Part 5

Postby Leonard, Part 5 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

I have been "reading" Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson for over six months now. I refuse to quit, but it never seems like I've made any progress. (it should be noted I've read a number of other books during this period of time)
http://jehovah.teaches-yoga.com - Mysteries of the Worm (and Such): I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Proof in my opinion that school hates us. the only book I've not finished, and the only book to put me to sleep. His other books were ok, but that one is just BORING.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

I never finished Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut or Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. I really should get around to doing that eventually.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Robin S wrote:The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I started it more than ten years ago, and stopped partway through The Two Towers. I still tell myself I'll go back to it someday.

I did the same thing. Word on the street (or, rather, what a friend of mine did) is that you don't read the whole thing at once. Rather, you arbitrarily pick a crew - Gimli and his sidekicks, Sam and the Ringbearer, or Merry and Pippin and just follow them, skipping everyone else's bits. When you're done, you start over and read one of the two you skipped, and do it again with the last set. According to him it makes it easier to slog through it, but.. I never tried.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Why does Tolkien sprinkle songs into everything!?
Never finished LotR trilogy either.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:Why does Tolkien sprinkle songs into everything!?
Why not? The languages were pretty much the focus for him, and language and poetry go together pretty well. If the songs are stopping you from reading LotR, skip them. I'm pretty sure the only songs that have anything plot relevant are the ones that are pretty much part of conversation (like Bombadil. Those chapters wouldn't make much sense if you skipped his words. But people seem pretty happy just skipping that whole section, so who knows.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray, shame that, though. I stopped about 100 pages before the end for reasons I don't remember anymore. Honestly a book that I was fond of. "The cavalry dies, but does not surrender!" or something to that fashion.

Also, never could stomach anything by Tolkien for very long as well as Iain M. Banks. Not particularly fond of their style.
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

dracharys

Postby dracharys » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Little Women by Charlotte Bronte. I had to read it as part of my Children's Literature course and I hated ever moment of it; the writing style, the characters, the environment, everything. I just couldn't make it to the end of the book, although I did finish what was originally Little Women, I didn't start Jo's Girls or whatever the sequel is called (they're considered the one book now) so technically I can say that I finished it.

Generally I force myself to finish the books regardless of how I feel about it. Books that took a lot of effort include: Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (I still read all four volumes), The Inheritance Trilogy by Paoilini (although I'm looking forward to Brisingr just so I can have something new to give out about) and The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Tolkien and Wolfe I disliked mainly because of their writing style in these particular books. Paoilini, on the other hand, was due to a lack of quality in his writing and the amount of attention he's been given because of his age.
When you see the robot, drink!

Return to “Books”