Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Quizatzhaderac

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 pm UTC

Maybe he meant to say "rating of speed," because your speed is rated on a scale from 1 to 10 along with accuracy and level of difficulty.

"rate of speed" refers to the motion of motor vehicles in every instance I've heard it used, including this one.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:39 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Maybe he meant to say "rating of speed," because your speed is rated on a scale from 1 to 10 along with accuracy and level of difficulty.

"rate of speed" refers to the motion of motor vehicles in every instance I've heard it used, including this one.

rate of speed sounds wrong, but rate of knots sounds fine.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:15 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:

No, it's definitely referring to one of those big signs the cops hold up with a number between 1 and 10.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

Oh, you mean this cop? I forgot about him.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”