Obscure Language Game

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Alexius

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby Alexius » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 am UTC

goofy wrote:
Alexius wrote:Could the first one be Chechen?

Why do you say that?

Cyrillic plus ejectives means it's probably from that sort of area?
goofy wrote:
Alexius wrote:For the mystery scrit- the script looks like Devanagari, but is neither Devanagari nor Gurmukhi. The background suggests it has something to do with Buddhism- Pali?

Pali is not a script. It is a Brahmi-derived script, but it is one of the lesser-known ones. It is used in India apparently.

The second one is not Italic, but it was spoken in an area that now speaks Italic languages.

I was guessing Pali as the language- I didn't think it was always written in Devanagari, and the background made me think it was some sort of Buddhist religious text.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:Cyrillic plus ejectives means it's probably from that sort of area?

Fair enough. it's a Caucasian language.

Alexius wrote:I was guessing Pali as the language- I didn't think it was always written in Devanagari, and the background made me think it was some sort of Buddhist religious text.

It's not Pali, it's a modern language. It's not Indo-European, it that helps.

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 am UTC

goofy wrote:
Тхьэм къыгъэкӀуагъэу, зы лӀы горэ дунаем къытехьагъ. Ащ ыцӀагъэр Иуан ары. Щыф пстэуми а нэфынэмкӀэ шӀошъхъуныгъэ яӀэ хъунм пае, Иуан нэфынэм шыхьат фэхъунэу шыхьатэу къэкӀуагъ.

tiricantam bercunetacam tocoitoscue sarniciocue sua combalcez nelitom necue to uertaunei litom necue taunei litom necue masnai tizaunei litom soz aucu arestalo tamai uta oscuez stena uerzoniti silabur sleitom conscilitom cabizeti

and a mystery script!

The first one would have to be Abkhaz (AKA Apsny)

The next one, my first guess would have been Oscan, so I'll go to my next one and say Umbrian.

And the third one is Brahmic, not far from India, maybe an odd way to write Nepali?

Here's a challenge:
Sûyoe req gnin saentseqle dze zy dzŷyoe req, leleq tzengni theq djeuli laonxiaen dze iqliq bintên. Yîla zy fûyoeleq lîsîn theq liaensin req, bin inke î donpo req tzinzen wûsiaen têdê

It's a transliteration of a language that isn't usually written (the people who speak it usually write in a different language). You can write it with a different script, but it's not common, these days.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 am UTC

goofy wrote:The second one is not Italic, but it was spoken in an area that now speaks Italic languages.

Dalmatian?

steewi wrote:Here's a challenge:
Sûyoe req gnin saentseqle dze zy dzŷyoe req, leleq tzengni theq djeuli laonxiaen dze iqliq bintên. Yîla zy fûyoeleq lîsîn theq liaensin req, bin inke î donpo req tzinzen wûsiaen têdê

It's a transliteration of a language that isn't usually written (the people who speak it usually write in a different language). You can write it with a different script, but it's not common, these days.

Komi?

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

steewi wrote:The first one would have to be Abkhaz (AKA Apsny)

Very close. It's Adyghe.

steewi wrote:The next one, my first guess would have been Oscan, so I'll go to my next one and say Umbrian.

It's not Italic.

steewi wrote:And the third one is Brahmic, not far from India, maybe an odd way to write Nepali?

It's a Brahmi script, but it's not an Indo-European language. This script is used to write only this one language.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

goofy wrote:
steewi wrote:And the third one is Brahmic, not far from India, maybe an odd way to write Nepali?

It's a Brahmi script, but it's not an Indo-European language. This script is used to write only this one language.

That makes me think it's a dravidian language the only one of which I know off the top of my head (which also IIRC has its own script) is Kannada.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:That makes me think it's a dravidian language the only one of which I know off the top of my head (which also IIRC has its own script) is Kannada.

It's not Dravidian either.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:49 am UTC

goofy wrote:
steewi wrote:The first one would have to be Abkhaz (AKA Apsny)

Very close. It's Adyghe.

steewi wrote:The next one, my first guess would have been Oscan, so I'll go to my next one and say Umbrian.

It's not Italic.

Then it must be Etruscan.

The words seem too long to be something Tai-kadai. Perhaps Burmanic? Using the cultural cues from the statues, it's in the Thai-Burma area. We've had Tai-Dam, what about Tai-Lue? (Now I'm too curious, and I'll have to Omniglot it.

EDIT: Ooooooh, that's what it is. I should have known. *buttkicks self*
Iulus Cofield wrote:

Komi?

Nope. Clue: The letter q is a glottal stop, and the other script is not alphabetic.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:56 am UTC

steewi wrote:Then it must be Etruscan.
Aren't you still talking about the one goofy said was IE?

Iulus Cofield wrote:

Komi?

Nope. Clue: The letter q is a glottal stop, and the other script is not alphabetic.
Cherokee?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Cherokee?

Cherokee is very well written, actually, so I don't think so.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 am UTC

The only languages I'm familiar with that use glottal stops like that are the Salish languages, but I'm pretty sure they use ? instead of q.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
steewi wrote:Then it must be Etruscan.
Aren't you still talking about the one goofy said was IE?
He said it was IE? Dammit. Must go back and check more frequently.

I just cheated, because I knew I'd seen the text somewhere before. And now I feel like an idiot again. I had seen that particular text before, and I should have remembered. There were enough clues if I'd stopped to think about it some more.

Derek wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Cherokee?

Cherokee is very well written, actually, so I don't think so.

True, it's not Cherokee, and it's not Salishan either. Wrong continent. Try the other side of the Pacific.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Ainu?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

goofy

Re: Obscure wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stu

Postby goofy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

steewi wrote:
Then it must be Etruscan.

No, it's Indo-European. There are only about one hundred twenty extant inscriptions.

steewi wrote:The words seem too long to be something Tai-kadai. Perhaps Burmanic? Using the cultural cues from the statues, it be in the Thai-Burma area. We've have-did Tai-Dam, hwæt about Tai-Lue? (Now I be too curious, and I'll have to Omniglot it.

EDIT: Ooooooh, that be hwæt it be. I should have known. *buttkicks self*

The language is Tibeto-Burman, and it is the official language of an Indian state.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Ainu?

Nope - a much bigger family. You may think of it as a dialect (and if that ain't a clue, I don't know what is).

goofy

Postby goofy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:37 am UTC

steewi wrote:Sûyoe req gnin saentseqle dze zy dzŷyoe req, leleq tzengni theq djeuli laonxiaen dze iqliq bintên. Yîla zy fûyoeleq lîsîn theq liaensin req, bin inke î donpo req tzinzen wûsiaen têdê

It does look Sinitic in that it seems to be restricted in its initials and finals (but I don't know what "gn" is). But I know nothing about Sinitic.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:32 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Ainu?

Although I do like to follow this, I think it shows my ineptitude when my immediate thought is "Wait, the god-beings of middle earth have a language too? Tolkien..."
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

steewi

Postby steewi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 am UTC

goofy wrote:
steewi wrote:Sûyoe req gnin saentseqle dze zy dzŷyoe req, leleq tzengni theq djeuli laonxiaen dze iqliq bintên. Yîla zy fûyoeleq lîsîn theq liaensin req, bin inke î donpo req tzinzen wûsiaen têdê

It doth look Sinitic in that it seems to be restricted in its initials and finals (but I ken not hwæt "gn" be). But I ken nothing about Sinitic.

Now we're talking. Yes, it's Sinitic.

goofy

Postby goofy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

goofy wrote:Тхьэм къыгъэкӀуагъэу, зы лӀы горэ дунаем къытехьагъ. Ащ ыцӀагъэр Иуан ары. Щыф пстэуми а нэфынэмкӀэ шӀошъхъуныгъэ яӀэ хъунм пае, Иуан нэфынэм шыхьат фэхъунэу шыхьатэу къэкӀуагъ.

Adyghe

goofy wrote:tiricantam bercunetacam tocoitoscue sarniciocue sua combalcez nelitom necue to uertaunei litom necue taunei litom necue masnai tizaunei litom soz aucu arestalo tamai uta oscuez stena uerzoniti silabur sleitom conscilitom cabizeti

Celtiberian

Meetei-Mayek (Manipuri)

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Adding another challenge:
Fa vor i ir i chimeri; helleut ir i nam thite. Gilla cosdum thite cumma. Veya thine mota vara gort o yurn sinna gort i chimeri. Gav vus da on da dalight brow vora. Firgive vus sinna vora sin vee firgive sindara mutha vus. Lyv vus ye i temtation, min delivra vus fro olt ilt.

And no-one has even tried to guess:
Dia nifampiresaka izy ireo hoe: “Andao isika hanao biriky ka handoro izany ao anaty lafaoro.” Koa biriky no nataony solom-bato, ary godorao no nataony solon-drihitra. Ary hoy izy ireo: “Andao isika hanorina tanàna sy hanangana tilikambo izay mahatakatra ny lanitra ny tampony. Ary andao hataontsika izay hampahalaza ny anarantsika, sao hiparitaka manerana ny tany isika.”

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:Adding another challenge:
Fa vor i ir i chimeri; helleut ir i nam thite. Gilla cosdum thite cumma. Veya thine mota vara gort o yurn sinna gort i chimeri. Gav vus da on da dalight brow vora. Firgive vus sinna vora sin vee firgive sindara mutha vus. Lyv vus ye i temtation, min delivra vus fro olt ilt.

Well, it's obviously a creole or pidgin from English and another language. Maybe something from SE Asia or Oceania?

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:

Well, it's obviously a creole or pidgin from English and another language. Maybe something from SE Asia or Oceania?

Nope, not a creole/pidgin (though it may have English influences) and definitely not from that part of the world.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Oh, then it must be another Germanic language. I'm guessing Frisian.

Hey, did you edit that quote? I could have sworn when I first looked at it the first chimeri was capitalized and there was another bit at the end.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Oh, then it must be another Germanic language. I'm guessing Frisian.

Hey, did you edit that quote? I could have sworn when I first looked at it the first chimeri was capitalized and there was another bit at the end.

Sorry- yes, it was edited. Pre-editing, it was the same text plus an extra bit at the end, but with different orthography and some minor dialect differences. I liked this version better.

Sblock gives the identity of the text to explain what the extra bit was:
Spoiler:
It's the Lord's Prayer, but the pre-edit version had the doxology ("for Thine is the Kingdom, etc.") and the post-edit version doesn't.

And no, it's not Frisian (haven't we already had Frisian?), but it is a Germanic language.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 am UTC

I think it's safe to say without a spoiler that it's the Lord's Prayer, since that was clear to me upon first reading it and I suspect to Iulus as well, given the certainty with which he made his first guess. I can pick out some things about the grammar and vocabulary by knowing what text it is, but none of that helps me in the least with guessing the language.

And no-one has even tried to guess:
Dia nifampiresaka izy ireo hoe: “Andao isika hanao biriky ka handoro izany ao anaty lafaoro.” Koa biriky no nataony solom-bato, ary godorao no nataony solon-drihitra. Ary hoy izy ireo: “Andao isika hanorina tanàna sy hanangana tilikambo izay mahatakatra ny lanitra ny tampony. Ary andao hataontsika izay hampahalaza ny anarantsika, sao hiparitaka manerana ny tany isika.”
This struck me as looking like some kind of combination between Portuguese and Japanese, but that's mostly from a few individual words here and there. Some of the other stuff has a Polynesian feel, like "ireo hoe".

Of course, all three of those impressions come primarily from how I'm pronouncing the words, which may or may not bear any particular relation to how they're actually pronounced in that language.
---

(he/him/his)

skullturf

Postby skullturf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 am UTC

If this is Germanic but not Frisian, I'll somewhat randomly guess another language from around that part of the world:

Spoiler:
Is it Faroese? Is Faroese even a language? (And if so, is it related to Icelandic?) I'm deliberately not looking anything up.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 am UTC

skullturf wrote:

If it was Faroese I'd expect ð and ø. I'll guess Gutnish.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 am UTC

The Germanic one is neither Faroese nor Gutnish, though it is Scandinavian.

The other language has nothing to do with Portuguese or Japanese, and is not Polynesian, though it is Austronesian.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:The Germanic one is neither Faroese nor Gutnish, though it is Scandinavian.

Well that narrows it down. Norn.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

goofy wrote:
Alexius wrote:The Germanic one is neither Faroese nor Gutnish, though it is Scandinavian.

Well that narrows it down. Norn.

Yes, it's Norn.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

It's interesting looking. I see it's Orkney Norn, which spells its interdentals as th. Some interdentals have changed to /v/, as in favor "father".

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:28 am UTC

The other one looks like Malagasy to me.
Alexius wrote:Dia nifampiresaka izy ireo hoe: “Andao isika hanao biriky ka handoro izany ao anaty lafaoro.” Koa biriky no nataony solom-bato, ary godorao no nataony solon-drihitra. Ary hoy izy ireo: “Andao isika hanorina tanàna sy hanangana tilikambo izay mahatakatra ny lanitra ny tampony. Ary andao hataontsika izay hampahalaza ny anarantsika, sao hiparitaka manerana ny tany isika.”

The giveaway would be the y-as-a-vowel and CVCV constructions with longish words.

steewi wrote:
goofy wrote:

It doth look Sinitic in that it seems to be restricted in its initials and finals (but I ken not hwæt "gn" be). But I ken nothing about Sinitic.

Any further advances?

Nah, here's the answer in a spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's Shanghainese. You can write it in Chinese characters, but these days very few, if any people, do. There are a few older texts in the very-closely related Suzhounese from the 19th century all in characters, and some missionaries made a bopomofo-type character set for Suzhou as well.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 am UTC

steewi wrote:The other one looks like Malagasy to me.
Alexius wrote:Dia nifampiresaka izy ireo hoe: “Andao isika hanao biriky ka handoro izany ao anaty lafaoro.” Koa biriky no nataony solom-bato, ary godorao no nataony solon-drihitra. Ary hoy izy ireo: “Andao isika hanorina tanàna sy hanangana tilikambo izay mahatakatra ny lanitra ny tampony. Ary andao hataontsika izay hampahalaza ny anarantsika, sao hiparitaka manerana ny tany isika.”

The giveaway would be the y-as-a-vowel and CVCV constructions with longish words.

Yes, it's Malagasy.

I think we might be out of challenges, so here's a couple more:
Tuots umans naschan libers ed eguals in dignità e drets. Els sun dotats cun intellet e conscienza e dessan agir tanter per in uin spiert da fraternità

at fravaxshyâ nû gûshôdûm nû sraotâ ýaêcâ asnât ýaêcâ dûrât ishathâ nû îm vîspâ cithrê zî mazdånghô-dûm nôit daibitîm dush-sastish ahûm merãshyât akâ varanâ dregvå hizvå âveretô

goofy

Postby goofy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

steewi wrote:
steewi wrote:
goofy wrote:

Any further advances?

Nah, here's the answer in a spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's Shanghainese. You can write it in Chinese characters, but these days very few, if any people, do. There are a few older texts in the very-closely related Suzhounese from the 19th century all in characters, and some missionaries made a bopomofo-type character set for Suzhou as well.

And here's my question:
Spoiler:
So what does "gn" represent?

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

I'd guess [ɲ] following its representation in French and Italian.
my pronouns are they

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Tuots umans naschan libers ed eguals in dignità e drets. Els sun dotats cun intellet e conscienza e dessan agir tanter per in uin spiert da fraternità
Romance language UDHR, obviously. Looks like Italian orthography.
---

(he/him/his)

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

A couple of the words look like they might have some german influence (in spelling mainly, the sch for instance). Makes me think it' something Swiss. Swiss Italian's probably not obscure enough (and probably too close to Italian). How about Romansh?
my pronouns are they

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Yeah, it looks like that is indeed the correct answer, though interestingly the spellings at the OHCHR site are different from the ones in that bit, which appears to be from Omniglot.
---

(he/him/his)

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Yes, that's Romansh. Possibly the different versions are different dialects- there are several, as can be seen from the numerous ways of spelling the name of the language!

Sir Novelty Fashion

Postby Sir Novelty Fashion » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 am UTC

ebẽñnẽ prñnawu mẽn. e prñnawatẽ hanadaza hrppi ladi ehbi setideime.
The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”