Obscure Language Game

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Re: Obscure Language Game

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

šum-ma a-wi-lum ki-iš-bi e-li a-wi-lim bid-di-ma la uk-ti-in-šu ša e-li-šu ki-iš-bu na-du-u a-na iluNârim i-il-la-ak iluNâram i-ša-al-bli-a-am-ma šum-ma iluNârum ik-ta-ša-zu mu-ub-bi-ir-šu bî-zu i-tab-ba-al šum-ma a-wi-lam bšu-a-ti iluNârum u-te-ib-bi-bba-aš-šu-ma iš-ta-al-ma-am ša e-li-šu ki-iš-bi id-du-u id-da-ak ša iluNâram iš-li-a-am bît mu-ub-bi-ri-šu i-tab-ba-al

Transliterated
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

goofy

Postby goofy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

That reminds me of Hittite or Luvian, but the Hittite and Luvian I've seen has more capital letters and no carets.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

The way it's been transliterated more or less into syllables (with the exception of iluNârum which could easily be a proper noun or something) makes me suspect it's usually written in an abugida or syllabary.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

raike

Postby raike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
šum-ma a-wi-lum ki-iš-bi e-li a-wi-lim bid-di-ma la uk-ti-in-šu ša e-li-šu ki-iš-bu na-du-u a-na iluNârim i-il-la-ak iluNâram i-ša-al-bli-a-am-ma šum-ma iluNârum ik-ta-ša-zu mu-ub-bi-ir-šu bî-zu i-tab-ba-al šum-ma a-wi-lam bšu-a-ti iluNârum u-te-ib-bi-bba-aš-šu-ma iš-ta-al-ma-am ša e-li-šu ki-iš-bi id-du-u id-da-ak ša iluNâram iš-li-a-am bît mu-ub-bi-ri-šu i-tab-ba-al

Transliterated

Something semitic. Nothing modern, I'm guessing. Aramaic and Sumerian are the only ones I can recall of the top of my head, though, and I'm sure there are a lot more than just those.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

raike wrote:Something semitic. Nothing modern, I'm guessing. Aramaic and Sumerian are the only ones I can recall of the top of my head, though, and I'm sure there are a lot more than just those.

Sumerian is not (known to be) Semitic. Akkadian was the Semitic language spoken in roughly the same area that eventually replaced Sumerian. (Both were written in cuneiform)

raike

Postby raike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
raike wrote:Something semitic. Nothing modern, I'm guessing. Aramaic and Sumerian are the only ones I can recall of the top of my head, though, and I'm sure there are a lot more than just those.

Sumerian is not (known to be) Semitic. Akkadian was the Semitic language spoken in roughly the same area that eventually replaced Sumerian. (Both were written in cuneiform)

Ah, thanks! Wouldn't have known that on my own.
(غالب)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 am UTC

My guess was Sumerian, but if you have other reasons for thinking Semitic, I could as easily throw my support behind Akkadian.

Alexius wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Here, as far as I can tell, are the currently outstanding passages:

gmalivuk wrote:Ojtakinbil ilkoloetik syu’ va’k’in mu si’ch a’k’el tamu’k’ lekil i’ch-vaile, ja’ skoj k’u sjalil oy vinik ta sbaspejel balumile xa’beoj sjam i sigue xa’be hasta abile lekil i slekil tas kuxlejale, bujechuk spas skuxij sin xi’el i schu’uk stak’in i sbeel, bujechuk spas sk’opoj i spas xal i slok’es ta ye k’ute sk’an sch’une.

That looks like Mayan to me.
Indeed. Tzotzil to be specific (as with TMT's, I figure folks are unlikely to get more specific unless they already happen to know the language in question).

It's from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is incidentally a hella convenient source of passages from other (natural) languages folks might like to post here.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

raike

Postby raike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am UTC

Hard to say, really, but I guessed Semitic from how the consonants were spaced out, and the syllable structure sort of reminded me of other such languages. Mostly instinct.

I've one, since we're not at too many outstanding; I don't think it's overly unheard of, but we'll see:
Hadd m'ghandu jkollu ghal xejn b'xejn indhil fil-hajja privata tieghu, fil-familja tieghu, f'daru jew fl-ittri tieghu, u lanqas m'ghandu jbati minn attakki fuq l-unur u l-fama tieghu. Kulhadd ghandu l-jedd għall-protezzjoni mil-liġi kontra kull indħil jew attakki bħal dawn.

Thanks to gmalivuk for the UDHR link.
(غالب)

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 am UTC

raike wrote:Hadd m'ghandu jkollu ghal xejn b'xejn indhil fil-hajja privata tieghu, fil-familja tieghu, f'daru jew fl-ittri tieghu, u lanqas m'ghandu jbati minn attakki fuq l-unur u l-fama tieghu. Kulhadd ghandu l-jedd għall-protezzjoni mil-liġi kontra kull indħil jew attakki bħal dawn.

The diacritics, and what looks like an Italian loan, make it look Maltese.

raike

Postby raike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 am UTC

goofy wrote:
raike wrote:Hadd m'ghandu jkollu ghal xejn b'xejn indhil fil-hajja privata tieghu, fil-familja tieghu, f'daru jew fl-ittri tieghu, u lanqas m'ghandu jbati minn attakki fuq l-unur u l-fama tieghu. Kulhadd ghandu l-jedd għall-protezzjoni mil-liġi kontra kull indħil jew attakki bħal dawn.

The diacritics, and what looks like an Italian loan, make it look Maltese.

That was fast! And yes--it's Maltese.
(غالب)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am UTC

raike wrote:Hard to say, really, but I guessed Semitic from how the consonants were spaced out, and the syllable structure sort of reminded me of other such languages. Mostly instinct.
It is interesting that, Semitic or no, all the guesses so far have been for ancient languages from approximately the same region. I'll throw in Babylonian as well, in case it's from a later period than what we usually refer to as Akkadian. I know there were others in the region around that same time, but all of them seem to escape me at the moment.

I've one, since we're not at too many outstanding; I don't think it's overly unheard of, but we'll see:
Hadd m'ghandu jkollu ghal xejn b'xejn indhil fil-hajja privata tieghu, fil-familja tieghu, f'daru jew fl-ittri tieghu, u lanqas m'ghandu jbati minn attakki fuq l-unur u l-fama tieghu. Kulhadd ghandu l-jedd għall-protezzjoni mil-liġi kontra kull indħil jew attakki bħal dawn.
Given the bolded words, I'm guessing something heavily influenced by a Romance language, and given some of the repeated words and structures, I'm guessing this is one of the UDHR translations.

Ah, damn, ninja'd by a more specific guess and confirmation. That's what I get for starting to eat before finishing this post.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 am UTC

It is Akkadian.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Iesu mo mele vano mo hahau na pahisa tasin Galilee. Mo sahe aulu na vutivuti, ale mo lo sakele ea. Moiso vao tavera mo mar̃ivi la mai isana peresi na tamlohi hariju, matavuso, tamlohi papao, la haratu la mengo, ale vao matuvana tinapua, ale la taura na palona, moiso mo vai mamahunira, ale vao atu r̃omira mo sopo sakele matan mo vai na mengo la retireti, haratu la papao la r̃uhu, haratu la hariju la hahau, ale matavuso la kilau moiso vao atu la mar̃urahi tavera matana, ale la sile na hasohaso isan God matan Israel.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Bible translation into something Polynesian.
---

(he/him/his)

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Bible translation into something Polynesian.

Very close. I'll give you it if no one else gets closer. It's actually not Polynesian, it's from a point higher up on the family tree.

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

lorb

Postby lorb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Kulturit pisoqaanersaasut nunami innutaalersut ataatsimut taaguuserlugit [...] kulturiinik taaneqartarput, tamarmillu amerikkap avannarliup nunavittaata issittortaanit sorlaqarlutik.

I edited out a word that would have likely given it away too easily.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

skullturf

Postby skullturf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:06 am UTC

lorb wrote:
Kulturit pisoqaanersaasut nunami innutaalersut ataatsimut taaguuserlugit [...] kulturiinik taaneqartarput, tamarmillu amerikkap avannarliup nunavittaata issittortaanit sorlaqarlutik.

I'm going to guess that this is one of the
Spoiler:
aboriginal languages of Northern Canada.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:51 am UTC

goofy wrote:here's another

Is it a Greek derived script? The really squiggly ones are throwing me.

Here's my contribution to the game, inspired by a recent game of Crusader Kings 2:

Atamız kim köktesiñ. Alğışlı bolsun seniñ atıñ, kelsin seniñ xanlığıñ, bolsun seniñ tilemekiñ – neçikkim kökte, alay [da] yerde. Kündeki ötmegimizni bizge bugün bergil. Dağı yazuqlarımıznı bizge boşatqıl – neçik biz boşatırbiz bizge yaman etkenlerge. Dağı yekniñ sınamaqına bizni quurmağıl. Basa barça yamandan bizni qutxarğıl. Amen!

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:

Is it a Greek derived script? The really squiggly ones are throwing me.

Here's my contribution to the game, inspired by a recent game of Crusader Kings 2:

Atamız kim köktesiñ. Alğışlı bolsun seniñ atıñ, kelsin seniñ xanlığıñ, bolsun seniñ tilemekiñ – neçikkim kökte, alay [da] yerde. Kündeki ötmegimizni bizge bugün bergil. Dağı yazuqlarımıznı bizge boşatqıl – neçik biz boşatırbiz bizge yaman etkenlerge. Dağı yekniñ sınamaqına bizni quurmağıl. Basa barça yamandan bizni qutxarğıl. Amen!

The Amen! at the end tells me it's come sort of prayer, at the very least. The combination of diareses, cedillas and tildes, as well as the small script ı letters, make it look Turkic to me, so something from that area, maybe? I don't know if x's are a thing in Turkish, so maybe further back on the tree...Anatolian Turkish doesn't seem similar enough either, maybe a different branch. Something West Siberian? Azerbaijani? Kyrgz?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

goofy

Postby goofy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:

Is it a Greek derived script?

No.

goofy

Postby goofy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

lorb wrote:

It's not Inuinnaqtun because it has s. The other official language of Nunavut is Inuktitut, which is usually written in syllabics.

lorb

Postby lorb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

goofy wrote:
lorb wrote:

It's not Inuinnaqtun because it has s. The other official language of Nunavut is Inuktitut, which is usually written in syllabics.

It's Inuktitut.
Outside Nunavut (eg greenland, alaska) it's usually written in latin script.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Is it derived from Aramaic?

raike

Postby raike » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Something related to Thai or Khmer, or, at least something from that area of the world (Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, &c.). Not sure what it is exactly, though.
(غالب)

goofy

Postby goofy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:07 am UTC

raike wrote:

Something related to Thai or Khmer, or, at least something from that area of the world (Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, &c.). Not sure what it is exactly, though.

Close enough, it's Tai Dam.

goofy wrote:
Iesu mo mele vano mo hahau na pahisa tasin Galilee. Mo sahe aulu na vutivuti, ale mo lo sakele ea. Moiso vao tavera mo mar̃ivi la mai isana peresi na tamlohi hariju, matavuso, tamlohi papao, la haratu la mengo, ale vao matuvana tinapua, ale la taura na palona, moiso mo vai mamahunira, ale vao atu r̃omira mo sopo sakele matan mo vai na mengo la retireti, haratu la papao la r̃uhu, haratu la hariju la hahau, ale matavuso la kilau moiso vao atu la mar̃urahi tavera matana, ale la sile na hasohaso isan God matan Israel.

gmalivuk wrote:Bible translation into something Polynesian.

It's Tangoa, one of the only languages with linguolabial consonants. I wanted to use V'enen Taut, but I couldn't find any text.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Carlington wrote:

The Amen! at the end tells me it's come sort of prayer, at the very least. The combination of diareses, cedillas and tildes, as well as the small script ı letters, make it look Turkic to me, so something from that area, maybe? I don't know if x's are a thing in Turkish, so maybe further back on the tree...Anatolian Turkish doesn't seem similar enough either, maybe a different branch. Something West Siberian? Azerbaijani? Kyrgz?

It is indeed a prayer from a Turkic language. I almost want to say you're close enough to win, but you did kind of guess a particular language from three of the six main Turkic branches. If anyone can narrow it down to the right branch of those, I'd say close enough. A hint: It's an extinct Turkic language. Also, if you think about the the quote, it may significantly narrow down the possibilities within Turkic languages.

raike

Postby raike » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:38 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Carlington wrote:

It is indeed a prayer from a Turkic language. I almost want to say you're close enough to win, but you did kind of guess a particular language from three of the six main Turkic branches. If anyone can narrow it down to the right branch of those, I'd say close enough. A hint: It's an extinct Turkic language. Also, if you think about the the quote, it may significantly narrow down the possibilities within Turkic languages.

I think I can reason it out:
Spoiler:
so it's a Christian prayer in an extinct language. This screams missionary activity and the Turkic part says Eastern Europe to me--not my most reasoned leap ever, but from there, I think I can say based on what I know about the history of that region, this is in some language similar to or closely related to that spoken by the Crimean Tartars, which, I recall hearing is similar to modern Kazakh, or, is at least in the same family. I looked up what family it was in, but since I'm not sure about the allowed level of Googling:
[spoiler]It's something of the Kypchak family
[/spoiler]
(غالب)

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 am UTC

Very close! I'll spoiler the exact answer in case anyone is brave enough to try to be exactly correct.

Spoiler:
It's Cuman.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:38 am UTC

raike wrote:

Damn, you beat me to it. I knew it seemed really familiar, but it wasn't until seeing comments on a former student's Instagram photos, of all things, that I realized Thai was the language that was making me think that excerpt looked so familiar. I should have posted to that effect *before* watching a dozen or so episodes of Parks and Recreation instead of waiting until after.

Am I correct in thinking that there are once again no more outstanding examples?
---

(he/him/his)

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:46 am UTC

I do not believe so. If you've got something lined up, I believe now is the time.

goofy

Postby goofy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Тхьэм къыгъэкӀуагъэу, зы лӀы горэ дунаем къытехьагъ. Ащ ыцӀагъэр Иуан ары. Щыф пстэуми а нэфынэмкӀэ шӀошъхъуныгъэ яӀэ хъунм пае, Иуан нэфынэм шыхьат фэхъунэу шыхьатэу къэкӀуагъ.

tiricantam bercunetacam tocoitoscue sarniciocue sua combalcez nelitom necue to uertaunei litom necue taunei litom necue masnai tizaunei litom soz aucu arestalo tamai uta oscuez stena uerzoniti silabur sleitom conscilitom cabizeti

and a mystery script!
Last edited by goofy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

goofy

Postby goofy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Also, I don't think this has been solved yet?

Alexius wrote:Another challenge:
Dia nifampiresaka izy ireo hoe: “Andao isika hanao biriky ka handoro izany ao anaty lafaoro.” Koa biriky no nataony solom-bato, ary godorao no nataony solon-drihitra. Ary hoy izy ireo: “Andao isika hanorina tanàna sy hanangana tilikambo izay mahatakatra ny lanitra ny tampony. Ary andao hataontsika izay hampahalaza ny anarantsika, sao hiparitaka manerana ny tany isika.”

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

goofy wrote:
Тхьэм къыгъэкӀуагъэу, зы лӀы горэ дунаем къытехьагъ. Ащ ыцӀагъэр Иуан ары. Щыф пстэуми а нэфынэмкӀэ шӀошъхъуныгъэ яӀэ хъунм пае, Иуан нэфынэм шыхьат фэхъунэу шыхьатэу къэкӀуагъ.

The лӀ represents an ejective

goofy wrote:tiricantam bercunetacam tocoitoscue sarniciocue sua combalcez nelitom necue to uertaunei litom necue taunei litom necue masnai tizaunei litom soz aucu arestalo tamai uta oscuez stena uerzoniti silabur sleitom conscilitom cabizeti

extinct IE

What script family is it?
Last edited by goofy on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

goofy wrote:

tiricantam bercunetacam tocoitoscue sarniciocue sua combalcez nelitom necue to uertaunei litom necue taunei litom necue masnai tizaunei litom soz aucu arestalo tamai uta oscuez stena uerzoniti silabur sleitom conscilitom cabizeti

and a mystery script!

Could the first one be Chechen?

I googled the second one- it was from the same geographic area to what I thought, but a different family!

For the mystery scrit- the script looks like Devanagari, but is neither Devanagari nor Gurmukhi. The background suggests it has something to do with Buddhism- Pali?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:05 am UTC

The script is definitely Indic but not Devanagari, which narrows it down to one of the several hundred other Indian languages that use related scripts. (Though it doesn't look like Tibetan or Bengali script, either.)

I believe Pali typically was written in Devanagari, so that should be out as well.
---

(he/him/his)

Sir Novelty Fashion

Postby Sir Novelty Fashion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 am UTC

goofy wrote:

Is this one of the Italic languages? Etruscan, maybe?
The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 am UTC

But Etruscan wasn't IE, was it?
---

(he/him/his)

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 am UTC

No, it wasn't. That text is definitely giving me some Latin vibes, though, it might be something Italic. Maybe Oscan?

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Alexius wrote:Could the first one be Chechen?

Why do you say that?

Alexius wrote:For the mystery scrit- the script looks like Devanagari, but is neither Devanagari nor Gurmukhi. The background suggests it has something to do with Buddhism- Pali?

Pali is not a script. It is a Brahmi-derived script, but it is one of the lesser-known ones. It is used in India apparently.

The second one is not Italic, but it was spoken in an area that now speaks Italic languages.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”