Engrish, Etc. - The Funny Translations of the World

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

AKADriver

Re: Engrish, Etc. - The Funny Translations of the World

Postby AKADriver » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

There's a Chinese buffet in Troy, NY (just east of town on Route 7, near the Wal-Mart) with a sign in the window that says,

OPEN ALL HOLIDAY
EXPECT THANKSGIVING

anschelsc

Postby anschelsc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:58 am UTC

I have a friend who, on her first day in Japan, passed by a bakery with a neon sign that said "Baked Flesh!"

fənɑlədʒɪst

Postby fənɑlədʒɪst » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:35 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:
theamberkey wrote:I do love how many Taiwanese will wear shirts with English writing when they have no idea what it says. I will start cracking up in the middle of traffic upon seeing some new awesome shirt. I'll try to start writing these down.

:mrgreen: Just the same way many Latin alphabet writers will try to wear 'pretty hieroglyphs' on their clothes or even tattooed on their skins where the sign might say 'frog' or 'donkey'!!!

Hieroglyphs? If you mean 汉字 or 漢字, I prefer to use "morphophonemic, character-based syllabary of inefficiency," although I've finally decided that logograms will work although I don't feel completely comfortable with it. Ideogram by J. Marshall Unger for the win.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

In the main terminal at Boryspil airport in Kyiv, a sign pointing down to the Перукарня/Hair Saloon.

That's the funniest one I've seen in a while; although it will be summer soon. Which means hilarious English on t-shirts.

victoriaw

Postby victoriaw » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

I don't understand your joke about the hair saloon!

jaap

Postby jaap » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

victoriaw wrote:I don't understand your joke about the hair saloon!

A saloon is where cowboys have a drink. A salon is a hairdresser's.

victoriaw

Postby victoriaw » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Oh I see!
It's a slight difference... :wink:

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Are you sure it's Engrish, not intentional? I've seen places that used "hair saloon" as a sort-of pun/witty name.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Are you sure it's Engrish, not intentional? I've seen places that used "hair saloon" as a sort-of pun/witty name.

/angell

Almost certainly it's Engrish, as it's in an airport and the Ukrainian is just the generic word for "hair dresser".

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

i don't know why I feel really upset at the grass signs. Its probably because some of them are actually correct, the exact words that they want to convey.

I realised that the Chinese have poetic warnings, and the English speaking word only have direct straight forward warnings. I wonder why?
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Sir Novelty Fashion

Postby Sir Novelty Fashion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

You guys know about busillises, right? Supposedly, a scribe miscopied the phrase in diebus illis magnis plenae (In those days, [there were] plenty of great [things]) as indie busillis magnis plenae ([In] India, [there was] a great plenty of busillis). Everyone needs some busillis, you know.

There's also the interview a game dev called Chris Avellone (Planescape Torment, KotOR 2) did with a German magazine. Google Translate gave the world this translation, part of which reads:

Chris Avellone: ​​I love sex. I love the fact that my parents loved sex. Genau deshalb existiere ich ja. That's why I exist, yes. Would die without sex our species. I think it's silly, if sex is taboo in games without a Wii. Where the label already warns: "Hey, here comes the way of sex" On the subject of violence, I can express myself, because I'm busy thinking about sex.

Not exactly engrish, but still.
The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 am UTC

semicharmed wrote:In the main terminal at Boryspil airport in Kyiv, a sign pointing down to the Перукарня/Hair Saloon.

லைப்ஸ்டைல் ஹேர் சலூன் laipsṭail hēr calūṉ: Lifestyle Hair Saloon

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:09 am UTC

We have beautiful translation mistakes in Cyprus, primarily because the Greek language 1. has no 'ih' sound, and 2. has a great deal of overlap between 't' and 'd', as well as between 'ch' and 'ts', 'b' and 'mp'. This has resulted in numerous interesting phrases, including 'Sundy Beach: Free sunbets and ubmrellas', 'Cafe + Restorant, Colt Drinks' and 'Chicken Gordon Blue' (if you can work that last one out, props).

Return to “Language/Linguistics”