French translation - Native English speakers interested in translating xkcd in French?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

CdRomain

French translation - Native English speakers interested in translating xkcd in French?

Postby CdRomain » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm UTC

Hi,
I am going to start an unofficial translation of xkcd in French. There are already similar projects in German, Russian and Spanish which were featured on xkcd.com. As you may have noticed, I am a native French speaker, and as a result I make some mistakes and sometimes it takes me some research to understand all the subtilities of a joke.
That is why I would like to team up with a bunch of native speakers to make sure everything is okay. It would only require a very basic knowledge of the French language since I would be able to find all of the equivalent vocabulary once I understand the meaning of the comic, but sometimes I may need the help of my partner for explaining me with simple words the jokes. (Yeah, I know it sounds like spoiling the joke, but jokes are still funny when you find the meaning by yourself. I am able to do that, but I need a confirmation of my interpretation).
I spoke a lot of jokes because it's the hardest thing to translate, but of course, help in science or other fields would be also appreciated.
So, are you guys motivated? Feel free answer to this topic, or to get in touch with me via private messages if you're interested.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”