IPA information

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Re: IPA information

Postby Bobber » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:17 am UTC

Laogeodritt wrote:I think we're interpreting Bobber's message differently...
You definitely are, and you are the one interpreting it in the right way. The way I understood
SAMPA uses multiple characters for single sounds
was that there were some sounds for which SAMPA had more than one single character which could be used interchangeably to represent it. I see now that what was actually meant was that there were some sounds for which SAMPA uses two characters at the same time paired together, such as the ones in the examples gmal provided.

gmalivuk wrote:You didn't actually look very hard, it seems...
Come on guy, no need to be smug about it. I had even edited my post with some examples I had found myself, so don't give me that stuff.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Bobber wrote:Come on guy, no need to be smug about it. I had even edited my post with some examples I had found myself, so don't give me that stuff.

Look, it's a 3-day weekend and I've been drinking since I got home from work. Which was several hours before I wrote that post. Cut me some slack, okay? :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Bobber wrote:Come on guy, no need to be smug about it. I had even edited my post with some examples I had found myself, so don't give me that stuff.

Look, it's a 3-day weekend and I've been drinking since I got home from work. Which was several hours before I wrote that post. Cut me some slack, okay? :-)

Fair deuce :D
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

juillet

Postby juillet » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

BrainMagMo wrote:What I want is a certain font face, so that if I type something in (X)SAMPA, it gives an IPA-looking character. ¿Does this exist? if so, a link would be appreciated.

The Unicode Phonetic Keyboard (UCL) lets you type in SAMPA and will output the corresponding IPA symbol. If you don't have a UK keyboard, the correspondence may deviate in some cases, but there's a layout chart available on the same page as the above link so you can always check.

just_me

Postby just_me » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

wow thanks for the keyboard, thats really awesome.
I just started my linguistic courses right now, but I think I've still got a quite nice site instead of the victoria university one.
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/charts.html
it takes a bit to load, but then you don't have to wait anymore.

vaguelyhumanoid

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 am UTC

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Firefox has a "special characters" Unicode input under "edit".
[ɪts jusfɤl fɔɹ lɪŋɡwɪstɪks].
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Laogeodritt

Postby Laogeodritt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

vaguelyhumanoid wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Firefox has a "special characters" Unicode input under "edit".
[ɪts jusfɤl fɔɹ lɪŋɡwɪstɪks].

Not under 3.6.3 on Windows. Are you on a 3.7/4.0 unstable release? Or perhaps using an extension?

vaguelyhumanoid

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

I'm on 3.6.6 on a Mac.
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Makri

Postby Makri » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 am UTC

I think that's a Mac speciality. You can do that in various programs with alt+apple+t.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

goofy

Postby goofy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

macrophage

Postby macrophage » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 am UTC

This is slightly off topic but there's a site called ipaflashcards.com (not allowed to post links yet I think) where you can order what seem to be high quality cards for learning the IPA. I never actually ordered them myself as they are pretty pricey but I have been on the verge of ordering them a couple of times.

This forum seems to be populated with the kind of folks who would actually take the time to learn the IPA.

edit: I should also like to point out that I have no affiliation with the aforementioned product.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

or you could download anki, an e-flashcard program, and dl or make flashcards for IPA using the images and soundbytes on wiki (anki supports text, TeX, images, and sounds I think)
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

wismith

Postby wismith » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:or you could download anki, an e-flashcard program, and dl or make flashcards for IPA using the images and soundbytes on wiki (anki supports text, TeX, images, and sounds I think)

"Anki" it's the name of the program?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

yes, it comes from the japanese word for remember. http://ankisrs.net/
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

drego642

Postby drego642 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 am UTC

Phonetics question here; on palatalization: (this may be a very basic concept, but for some reason, there's some confusion on my end here) would it be correct, incorrect, or partially correct to say that when a given consonant is palatalized, it is simply pronounced as normal, then followed immediately by a slight [j] sound? As I think I understand it now, a consonant is palatalized when, after articulation, the tongue moves to the palate, thereby creating a small [j] sound at the end of said consonant, merely as a side-effect.

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

Palatization is a secondary articulation - it means that the tongue is raised towards the palate in addition to whatever else is being articulated.

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:42 am UTC

drego642 wrote:Phonetics question here; on palatalization: (this may be a very basic concept, but for some reason, there's some confusion on my end here) would it be correct, incorrect, or partially correct to say that when a given consonant is palatalized, it is simply pronounced as normal, then followed immediately by a slight [j] sound? As I think I understand it now, a consonant is palatalized when, after articulation, the tongue moves to the palate, thereby creating a small [j] sound at the end of said consonant, merely as a side-effect.

Palatalisation occurs while the first sound is being articulated, where a sequence doesn't (necessarily) imply the overlap. So when you have a sequence of pj, the body of the tongue's raised while you have the p-closure, and when you release it, the tongue's already moving to whatever the following place of articulation is. When the sequence is pj, the body of the the tongue doesn't raise until the p is releasing.

In practice the two of them are often used interchangeably, unless you're transcribing one of the pesky palatalising languages, even if they're not, technically, interchangeable.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

EDIT: Whoops I had a really good one but I can't post links since I have not reached the 5 posts AFAIK. I'll post the link as soon as possible.
http://www.i2speak.com/

Oh, apparently I can now.
Anyway, I love IPA, it's very interesting and enjoyable to learn new consonants and vowels, as part of a challenge. I have lately learnt correctly how to pronounce the voiceless and voiced alveolo-palatal sibilants (ɕ and ʑ). However, I am having problems dealing with some of them, like close-mid back unrounded vowel (ɤ), close back unrounded vowel (ɯ) and the velar lateral approximant (ʟ).

Carry002

Postby Carry002 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:15 am UTC

i do really think that IPA is unnecessary,every country has his own language system.but in another way it cans show your study.

hooked

Postby hooked » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 am UTC

Since SAMPA was mentioned, it's worth looking into the ARPAbet. Again I'm unable to link yet due to low post count, but it's the first Wikipedia link.

Arpabet is a phonetic transcription code developed by Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) as a part of their Speech Understanding Project (1971–1976). It represents each phoneme of General American English with a distinct sequence of ASCII characters. Arpabet has been used in several speech synthesizers, including Computalker for the S-100 (Altair) system, SAM for the Commodore 64, SAY for the Amiga and TextAssist for the PC and Speakeasy from Intelligent Artefacts (see ST_Robotics) which used the Votrax SC01 speech synthesiser IC. It is also used in the CMU Pronouncing Dictionary.

It's been useful for some computer speech projects I've been working on recently.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”