Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

Incidentally, I die a little inside every time someone asks how "ghoti" is pronounced with a big smug grin on their face because they think I've never seen it before.

The answer is "fish" by the way. Which is wrong. The ti would only be a sh if there were other letters after it, and the gh would only be a f if there were letters before it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

And the o only sounds like i if it's in the word "women".

So basically it fails everywhere.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Halebit

Postby Halebit » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:26 am UTC

I've always despised the word throughly just because I can never seem to spell it right, plus it just doesn't flow for me :S

Just because where I live it seems to be uttered every 5 seconds: Creep and it's derivatives are also out of favor with me.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

Halebit wrote:I've always despised the word throughly just because I can never seem to spell it right...
Maybe you can't spell it right because you're not even sure how it's pronounced. if you knew it was pronounced "thoroughly", you might realize that all you were missing was the first "o" in the word.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Incidentally, I die a little inside every time someone asks how "ghoti" is pronounced with a big smug grin on their face because they think I've never seen it before.

The answer is "fish" by the way. Which is wrong. The ti would only be a sh if there were other letters after it, and the gh would only be a f if there were letters before it.

And quite amusingly, the Klingon word for fish is ghotI'. ;)
Exit the vampires' castle.

Brickman1444

Postby Brickman1444 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:14 am UTC

I hate the ratio of vowels to consecutive consonants in the word eighths. 2/5

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 am UTC

That doesn't bother me one tenth as much as the fact that it forces you to stick different kinds of front-of-the-tongue consonants together like that. "Sixths" is even worse.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:36 am UTC

Yes, I can't say this -ths thing, and I struggle with sixth.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:13 am UTC

Grop wrote:Yes, I can't say this -ths thing, and I struggle with sixth.

That sound & similar ones aren't easy for French speakers. But even many native speakers have problems with "sixth". Eg, my step-father doesn't even try, he just says "sixt".

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Incidentally, I die a little inside every time someone asks how "ghoti" is pronounced with a big smug grin on their face because they think I've never seen it before.

After studying farsi for about six months, I would have pronounced it in a way that doesn't have sounds in the english language, and I would have been right (btw as far as I know it doesn't mean anything). ghoti = fish? what moron came up with that piece of faux-clever waste of time?

But to contribute to the thread, I hate the word "superfood."

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

I hate the words 'green', 'eco-' and the phrase 'environmentally friendly'. Note I only hate green and eco- in particular contexts - i.e. using them to describe anything that isn't harmful to the environment. It seems they've all become massive buzzwords lately, with companies flocking to add them to their products etc. The thing that made me want to cry was listening to Gordon Brown's speech at the Labour Party Conference and hearing him saying that they were going to create x amount of 'new, green jobs'. I almost committed seppuku right there and then.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

I don't know if it was mentioned before 'cosplay'. I loathe it. Reading it is like nails on a chalkboard or crying babies. I have nothing against people dressing up and having fun. I just wish that word could be removed forever.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 am UTC

emceng wrote:cosplay

Am I the only person who sometimes pronounces this "cosine play" in my head?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

bluestripe

Postby bluestripe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

Demonstrative

Its like we purposely chose the most awkward pronunciation just to torture ourselves.

That and i-anything.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

bluestripe wrote:Demonstrative

Its like we purposely chose the most awkward pronunciation just to torture ourselves.

If by "chose the most awkward pronunciation" you mean "followed the general rules we use for most words when adding affixes to them", then yes, I agree.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

bluestripe

Postby bluestripe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
bluestripe wrote:Demonstrative

If by "chose the most awkward pronunciation" you mean "followed the general rules we use for most words when adding affixes to them", then yes, I agree.

Haha, yes.

I work as an ESL tutor. Words like this are quite a source of frustration.

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:

That sound & similar ones aren't easy for French speakers. But even many native speakers have problems with "sixth". Eg, my step-father doesn't even try, he just says "sixt".

I don't try either, and say "six-uth".
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

yokdvd

Postby yokdvd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:29 am UTC

"juxtaposition" seems like the most useless and malphonic word I can think of. I have never seen it used in a context where the writer couldn't have simply chosen a different, more direct wording. To me, the use of "juxtaposition" usually says little more than 'look at how many uncommon words I know!'

xepher

Postby xepher » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

I don't care if it has been adapted into the English language. If you pronounce jalapeno (which should be pronounced hal-uh-payn-yo) as jalapeno (hal-uh-peen-o), you deserve to die. At least MOST people have got past jalapeno (jal-uh-peen-o) and tortilla.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

When my family pronounces jalapeño, the first phoneme is /x/.
As for tortilla and paella, those ll's? /l/. And it's a light /l/ because we're Danish, not a dark /l/.
Grating is not the word.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

oldyellr

Postby oldyellr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

And how should English speakers pronounce tequila? I've always pronounced just like it's written, but I've heard some people pronounce it with the "L" silent, claiming that's the correct way.

oldyellr

Postby oldyellr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Back to words I hate...

I hate the way Hollywood people, and it seems most North American media, pronounce Robin Hood, like it's one word, with emphasis on the first part. Where did that come from?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

oldyellr wrote:Back to words I hate...

I hate the way Hollywood people, and it seems most North American media, pronounce Robin Hood, like it's one word, with emphasis on the first part. Where did that come from?

Maybe it's in imitation of manhood, neighbourhood, etc. Or maybe Hollywwood just does it to make it sound different and "medieval". To my ears, it's weird because that emphasis pattern makes Robin sound adjectival, whereas I expect Hood to be adjectival. After all, Hood is supposed to be his nickname, not his family name.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

oldyellr wrote:And how should English speakers pronounce tequila? I've always pronounced just like it's written, but I've heard some people pronounce it with the "L" silent, claiming that's the correct way.
They're wrong. It's only got one L, which is pronounced in Spanish as it is in English.

PM 2Ring wrote:To my ears, it's weird because that emphasis pattern makes Robin sound adjectival
Actually, stressing "robin" over "hood" makes it sound like a compound, rather than adjective+noun. Much the same way that "orange bowl" is pronounced when it means a bowl for oranges, as opposed to the adjectival use meaning a bowl which is colored orange.
---

(he/him/his)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Actually, stressing "robin" over "hood" makes it sound like a compound, rather than adjective+noun. Much the same way that "orange bowl" is pronounced when it means a bowl for oranges, as opposed to the adjectival use meaning a bowl which is colored orange.

Ok, that makes sense.

I wonder if any dialects of English commonly use the reverse emphasis pattern for things like "orange bowl".

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

I hate the rampant tendency to coin 'cute' portmanteaus for things. 'Frenemy', 'staycation', and the like are all rather vile.

I also find the use of French words in cases where there are perfectly good English words rather annoying, even in instances where it's very common. For example, cul-de-sac where 'dead end' would do just fine, or fiance in place of the perfectly good 'betrothed'. But then I still haven't really gotten over the Battle of Hastings and the whole Norman invasion.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:38 am UTC

No kidding! I don't like the -ess suffix either, but that's not nationalism so much as a preference for keeping gender out of English.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 am UTC

Is a cul-de-sac just a dead end? Doesn't it imply that there is a round-about at the end which leads back to the opposite lane on the same road, leading you back?
I mean like these: Image

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 am UTC

Try saying sixths now, flicking the tongue the dental position and back is good fun. :D

oldyellr wrote:And how should English speakers pronounce tequila? I've always pronounced just like it's written, but I've heard some people pronounce it with the "L" silent, claiming that's the correct way.

Said people are wrong. If it was tequilla they would be more right, the closest sound in English to Spanish <ll> is /j/ so their pronunciation of it [tekija] is close to the way a (certainly Castillian) Spanish Speaker would pronounce tequilla which would be [tekiʎa]. That said, as it is a single l it should be pronounced like the English l so [tekila].

Aiwendil42 wrote:or fiance in place of the perfectly good 'betrothed'.

Fiance(e) does give distinction between a male and female betrothed in writing though. That said, there aren't going to be many situations when you'll need to specify that.

Bobber wrote:Is a cul-de-sac just a dead end? Doesn't it imply that there is a round-about at the end which leads back to the opposite lane on the same road, leading you back?

Not always a roundabout, but often a bulge so that you can turn around.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:55 am UTC

In PNW American usage at least, being a region without widespread use of roundabouts, cul-de-sac is as you described, but without the island in the middle. Dead ends are any road that terminate and they can actually stretch on for miles and miles.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 am UTC

I think most people would prefer to describe their street as a cul-de-sac than a dead end.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

Grop, Try the tongue twister: "The sixth sheik's sixth sheep is sick."

Cul-de-sac brings to mind castration. Certainly there's been some heavy borrowing of French and every other language English bumps into, but when authors angeben mit foreign words it's quite annoying. It even pissed off Desiderius Erasmus, who parodied it in Μωρίας Εγκώμιον. Makes the author sound like a pretentious 阴 茎. Even worse when they get a translation wrong.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I think most people would prefer to describe their street as a cul-de-sac than a dead end.

And yet they could use impasse, which sounds much better to me. Ok, there's something silly about this statement.

Velifer wrote:Grop, Try the tongue twister: "The sixth sheik's sixth sheep is sick."

Ah, horror, panic! :lol:

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

I think most people would prefer to describe their street as a cul-de-sac than a dead end.

I grew up on one, and "dead end" is what we always said.

Is a cul-de-sac just a dead end? Doesn't it imply that there is a round-about at the end which leads back to the opposite lane on the same road, leading you back?

Hmm - I've heard people use cul-de-sac for dead ends in general. I suppose if its meaning were in fact restricted in the way you suggest, that would make its existence somewhat justified. Though still I'd prefer to follow Tolkien's little joke and call them "bag ends".

Incidentally, I always thought that "roundabout" referred to a traffic circle (as a type of highway intersection), not to the little circle in a cul-de- . . . er, bag end.

Fiance(e) does give distinction between a male and female betrothed in writing though.

True, but then there are tons of foreign words with gender distinctions that we don't have in English.

I don't like the -ess suffix either, but that's not nationalism so much as a preference for keeping gender out of English.

I agree completely. I always use 'actor', for example, whether I'm talking about a man or a woman. For that matter, I've never understood the need for distinct 'best actor' and 'best actress' categories. I mean, is the skill of being an actor really so different from the skill of being an actress that they aren't commensurable? How is that any less ridiculous than having separate 'best director' and 'best directress' categories?

oldyellr

Postby oldyellr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Aiwendil42 wrote:

Fiance(e) does give distinction between a male and female betrothed in writing though.

True, but then there are tons of foreign words with gender distinctions that we don't have in English.

So is that an excuse to eliminate words with gender distinctions in the name pf Basic Human Decency? Does it mean that all those foreign languages are politically incorrect and it's time they changed? In my opinion, gender distinction serves a useful descriptive purpose.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

oldyellr wrote:In my opinion, gender distinction serves a useful descriptive purpose.
It's bad enough we don't know what pronouns to use with some unknown person, without also being confused as to how to refer to their profession. Whatever useful descriptive purpose is served by including the gender of a person when you talk about their job is more than outweighed by the inconvenience of being *required* to specify their gender when doing so. It's so much easier to just say "servers" instead of "waiters and waitresses", for example.
---

(he/him/his)

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

So is that an excuse to eliminate words with gender distinctions in the name pf Basic Human Decency? Does it mean that all those foreign languages are politically incorrect and it's time they changed? In my opinion, gender distinction serves a useful descriptive purpose.

That's not what I was saying at all. My point was that if providing gender-specificity were sufficient reason to adopt a foreign word in place of an English one, then we would end up with very few English words left - at least, words referring to people.

But since you bring it up, yes I am in favour of gender-neutral words wherever possible. And yes, I do find something slightly distasteful about languages that use, for example, different words for the same occupation depending on whether the referent is male or female. But I'd say that in English, because words don't have grammatical gender, such cases are both more obtrusive and more avoidable than in many other languages.

oldyellr

Postby oldyellr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's so much easier to just say "servers" instead of "waiters and waitresses", for example.

That's quite true. It's also much easier to say "actors" instead of "actors and actresses". However, it really irks me when the media refers to actresses as "actors" in an attempt to conceal gender for the sake of Basic Human Decency or some feminist agenda. When you hear a word you want to picture what is being described in your mind, not some anonymous, genderless blob.

Makri

Postby Makri » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

However, it really irks me when the media refers to actresses as "actors" in an attempt to conceal gender for the sake of Basic Human Decency or some feminist agenda.

Be happy they allow you that! While it may annoy you in the singular, be glad you don't have to suffer what German speakers do in the plural: ridiculous conjunctions "Xes and Xesses"... (Or, if it is to be gender-neutral in the singular, a disjunction: "X or Xess") A single gender-neutral word form is pure luxury! :mrgreen:
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

oldyellr

Postby oldyellr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

Makri wrote:
However, it really irks me when the media refers to actresses as "actors" in an attempt to conceal gender for the sake of Basic Human Decency or some feminist agenda.

Be happy they allow you that! While it may annoy you in the singular, be glad you don't have to suffer what German speakers do in the plural: ridiculous conjunctions "Xes and Xesses"... (Or, if it is to be gender-neutral in the singular, a disjunction: "X or Xess") A single gender-neutral word form is pure luxury! :mrgreen:

As it happens, the language I grew up speaking is eastern European with all that gender stuff and all nouns having suffixes instead of using prepositions. However, it's completely phonetic, so nobody needs to learn spelling as in English. :D

Return to “Language/Linguistics”