Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

Oh yes, that is definitely a *could* and not a *should* use situation.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:03 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Um... RSVP does stand for a verb phrase. How would you prefer people use it?


I've always heard RSVP stands for "répondez s'il vous plaît," meanings "respond please," or according to wiki, literally "respond if it pleases you." I get annoyed when people say something like "I RSVP'd for your wedding," not when a wedding invitation says something like, "I'm getting married on X day, RSVP."

I dunno, my eye twitches when people use initials to mean something than what they stand for.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:48 am UTC

Okay, but that's more specific than just using it as a verb. Something like, "RSVP by March 31," is also using it as a verb, in a way perfectly consistent with the direct translation.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Yes, as I tried to clarify before, I should have clearly explained what I meant in a precise way the first time using precise word choice, clearly.

User avatar
drghost
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:25 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby drghost » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:48 am UTC

In Spanish, the letter J has the sound of an "H" in English.
I hate seeing comments anywhere on the internet that say "Jajajaja."
I imagine it's someone saying yes repeatedly in German.
Ugh.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Amie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:20 am UTC

I think I hate the word "marriage". I'm not quite sure why... It's just annoying when I hear myself say it in my head... especially when it's said slowly... ma-rri-age... Ew ew ew. I was even confused about the number of syllables the word has... and I need to resist the urge to pronounce it in the way it is written, each time >.<
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

drghost wrote:I hate seeing comments anywhere on the internet that say "Jajajaja."
I imagine it's someone saying yes repeatedly in German.
Meanwhile, Spanish speakers probably can't help but think you're laughing at them every time you say yes in German. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

historyofkiwi
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby historyofkiwi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
drghost wrote:I hate seeing comments anywhere on the internet that say "Jajajaja."
I imagine it's someone saying yes repeatedly in German.
Meanwhile, Spanish speakers probably can't help but think you're laughing at them every time you say yes in German. :-)


And Germans think the Spanish are incredibly easy to please...

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Amie wrote:I think I hate the word "marriage". I'm not quite sure why... It's just annoying when I hear myself say it in my head... especially when it's said slowly... ma-rri-age... Ew ew ew. I was even confused about the number of syllables the word has... and I need to resist the urge to pronounce it in the way it is written, each time >.<


Perhaps you should switch to "conjugate."

"Sweetheart, will you conjugate me?"

User avatar
chridd
Has a vermicelli title
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am UTC
Location: ...Earth, I guess?
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby chridd » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:"Sweetheart, will you conjugate me?"
"I me, you me, he/she/it mes, we me, they me; in the past they med; I am now meing"?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Amie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Amie wrote:I think I hate the word "marriage". I'm not quite sure why... It's just annoying when I hear myself say it in my head... especially when it's said slowly... ma-rri-age... Ew ew ew. I was even confused about the number of syllables the word has... and I need to resist the urge to pronounce it in the way it is written, each time >.<


Perhaps you should switch to "conjugate."

"Sweetheart, will you conjugate me?"

"Sweetheart, will you agree to sign a piece of paper so we can have awesome tax benefits?" :P
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 am UTC

Amie wrote:I think I hate the word "marriage". I'm not quite sure why... It's just annoying when I hear myself say it in my head... especially when it's said slowly... ma-rri-age... Ew ew ew. I was even confused about the number of syllables the word has... and I need to resist the urge to pronounce it in the way it is written, each time >.<

That reminds me... I hate the sound of the word "wife". If I were ever to have a girlfriend, I don't think I'd want to marry her because I hate that word.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:25 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Amie wrote:I think I hate the word "marriage". I'm not quite sure why... It's just annoying when I hear myself say it in my head... especially when it's said slowly... ma-rri-age... Ew ew ew. I was even confused about the number of syllables the word has... and I need to resist the urge to pronounce it in the way it is written, each time >.<

That reminds me... I hate the sound of the word "wife". If I were ever to have a girlfriend, I don't think I'd want to marry her because I hate that word.

You could always use "partner" or "SO".

Personally, I hate the word "spouse". It sounds clinical and almost hateful to my ears.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

User avatar
chridd
Has a vermicelli title
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am UTC
Location: ...Earth, I guess?
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby chridd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:33 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:You could always use "partner" or "SO".
but partner seems too general (it can refer to other things besides specifically romantic partners), and so is a fairly common English word, one that could conceivably be typed in all-caps for emphasis (and thus I tend to misread SO as so).
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Amie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:05 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Amie wrote:I think I hate the word "marriage". I'm not quite sure why... It's just annoying when I hear myself say it in my head... especially when it's said slowly... ma-rri-age... Ew ew ew. I was even confused about the number of syllables the word has... and I need to resist the urge to pronounce it in the way it is written, each time >.<

That reminds me... I hate the sound of the word "wife". If I were ever to have a girlfriend, I don't think I'd want to marry her because I hate that word.

I have always said "man" instead of boyfriend. "This here, is my man XKHKG!" I think I'll stick to that if I ever marry.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
Keand64
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:05 am UTC
Location: Somewhere, presumably

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Keand64 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:12 am UTC

I hate it when people say 'octopi' when they're trying to sound intelligent, because it's wrong. I also hate it in general when people use big words (usually incorrectly) to make themselves sound smarter.

I know I use big words that I like the sound of (like magnanimous and intervocalic) just because I like the sound of them, which ends up with me doing things like using 'goed' and 'magnanimous' in the same sentence (I tend to stumble over my words and speak badly in general, but in a more sensible manner than just laziness). But I digress..

I tend to hate words with g's, f's, d's and (and other consonants at the beginning of the alphabet), and like words with r's s's m's and l's (and other consonants at the end of the alphabet). I also dislike the a (in cat) sound (with the exception of the phoneme (?) 'mag', and possibly others that I can't remember right now.

Also, I can associate 'burgle' with 'thief', just because it's such a silly-sounding word. I mean, seriously, burgle
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 am UTC

Keand64 wrote:I hate it when people say 'octopi' when they're trying to sound intelligent, because it's wrong. I also hate it in general when people use big words (usually incorrectly) to make themselves sound smarter.

Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective of Necessity: Problems with Using Long Words Needlessly. It shows that long words make you look less intelligent (possibly because you seem less fluent). And, it won an Ig Nobel Prize in Literature.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

User avatar
Keand64
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:05 am UTC
Location: Somewhere, presumably

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Keand64 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:36 am UTC

That looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out later (rushing right now).

EDIT: skimmed through it, and it is somewhat surprising that more complexity makes you look less intelligent.
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 am UTC

I think it is probably because most students go through a phase of thinking "long words" will make their paper seem more impressive, so that they recognized the excerpts presented as being equally fluffy.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 am UTC

I'm pretty sure "octopi" is actually a valid plural form of octopus. Octopuses and octopodes are also correct and sound less pretentious however.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

"Octopi" is valid in the sense that people use it regularly. It's just kind of bizarre since it's not Latin and it uses a Latin nominative plural. Why not use the accusative plural ending when appropriate too? Why not say "octopum" when it's in the object position? Why is it pronounced [i] and not [i:]? The arbitrariness of pseudo-Latin pluralization in English baffles me. More because it seems to reflect people adopting a foreign inflection that they clearly don't fully understand than anything else.

A friend of mine insists on saying "colossi." I told him that it's Greek and so the correct non-English pluralization would be "colossoi." He told me he didn't care and kept using the Latin ending.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

I call multiple octopus, octokitties.

I call multiple collosal things, humungoids.

I don't always try for correct speech with such things, because English allows for us to get creative.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I call multiple octopus, octokitties.


I think I am going to pretend I do this next time an octopi/octopodes discussion happens IRL.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Why is it pronounced [i] and not [i:]?
The only difference between those two sounds is how long you hold them. Like the difference between happy and pee. Neither of which is the sound I've heard people pronounce octopi.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

What vowel do you hear? I've heard [i] almost exclusively, but I think I heard on TV somewhere [aj].

Edit: I remember now. Rome Total War uses [aj] exclusively and also incorrectly uses /ii/ as the nominative plural for Brutus and Scipio.
Also, I'm well aware of the difference between [i] and [i:], Gmalivuk :p

User avatar
aycb
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:10 am UTC
Location: Auckland

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby aycb » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:A friend of mine insists on saying "colossi." I told him that it's Greek and so the correct non-English pluralization would be "colossoi." He told me he didn't care and kept using the Latin ending.


How often does that come up?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:06 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I think I heard on TV somewhere [aj].
I think I've only ever heard anyone pronounce it that way. Same as with cacti and fungi (usually) and hippopotomi.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Lazar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:A friend of mine insists on saying "colossi." I told him that it's Greek and so the correct non-English pluralization would be "colossoi." He told me he didn't care and kept using the Latin ending.

Your friend is right. Almost all Greek-derived words in English come through Latin (at least notionally), which is why we have "colossus" (with "colossi") and not "kolossos" (with "kolossoi"); "hippopotamus" and not "hippopotamos"; "septic(a)emia" and not "septikaimia"; "dinosaur" and not "deinosaur", etc. The traditional way to introduce Greek words into English is to use their Latinate form.

But I'll give you that "octopi" is incorrect, because even in Latin the plural would be "octopodes".
Exit the vampires' castle.

goofy
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby goofy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:even in Latin the plural would be "octopodes".


How do you know?

fwiw the word wasn't borrowed from Greek, it was borrowed from scientific Latin. I don't know if the scientific Latin word even has a plural. Anyway the two most common plurals are octopuses and octopi and usage beats etymology, even wrong etymology.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Octokittens. That's the new plural.

What I'm trying to figure out is why people cannot pronounce "aileron" properly.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Lazar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

goofy wrote:How do you know?

I know because "octopus" was not a second-declension Greek noun, and therefore it would be incorrect to give it a second-declension ending in Latin. When the Romans borrowed third-declension Greek nouns like "octopus", they preserved the Greek plural endings.

fwiw the word wasn't borrowed from Greek, it was borrowed from scientific Latin.

As I said in my previous post, most Greek words in English come through Latin.

I don't know if the scientific Latin word even has a plural.

Of course it does, and I just told you what it is. There is a standard method to determine what the plural of a Greek word is in Latin. It's no more likely to lack a plural form in Latin than to lack one in English.

Anyway the two most common plurals are octopuses and octopi and usage beats etymology, even wrong etymology.

For informal discourse, use whatever you want. But "octopi" is a pretentious hypercorrection which looks really bad to people who know better, so I would advise you not to use it.
Exit the vampires' castle.

goofy
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby goofy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:Of course it does, and I just told you what it is. There is a standard method to determine what the plural of a Greek word is in Latin. It's no more likely to lack a plural form in Latin than to lack one in English.


The reason I asked is because it was borrowed from modern Latin, and I wanted to know if the modern Latin word had an attested plural. Thanks for your answers tho

Derek
Posts: 2181
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

aycb wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:A friend of mine insists on saying "colossi." I told him that it's Greek and so the correct non-English pluralization would be "colossoi." He told me he didn't care and kept using the Latin ending.


How often does that come up?

A lot if you're playing Starcraft 2 :P

FTR, I usually say "Colossi".

rhetorical
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:44 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby rhetorical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Octokittens. That's the new plural.

What I'm trying to figure out is why people cannot pronounce "aileron" properly.


Ale-er-on?

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

rhetorical wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Octokittens. That's the new plural.

What I'm trying to figure out is why people cannot pronounce "aileron" properly.


Ale-er-on?

I've heard it as aly-er-ON
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

The only pronunciation I've head is ale-er-on. Don't know what the word actually means though, so I'm off to wikipedia.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

/ɛl.rɔ̃/
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

That's indeed how it's pronounced in French, but like most imported words, there's also the English pronunciation, which is most commonly /ˈeɪlərən/.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

That's the other pronounciation I'd accept for it, yeah.

I've heard too many other bastardized pronounciations for it recently, as people were attempting to discuss my paper airplane. Which is what prompted me to post here.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Ephemeron
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Ephemeron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

The word 'panini' annoys me slightly. It sounds like someone has just thought "hmm, how can I make this sandwich more sellable?" :roll:
Plus I despise the word 'bumfluff'. What could be worse than a word that makes every male preteen feel embarrassed about their facial hair? :x Yeah, cheers for that.


Return to “Language/Linguistics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests