Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

P13808

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby P13808 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

Any of the ermagerhd nonsense. Last person who had a joke with that as a punchline, I kicked in the face.

Anyhow, I think I hear "mmkay" or "otay" or any derivative of okay more than okay itself. o_O

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 am UTC

P13808 wrote: Last person who had a joke with that as a punchline, I kicked in the face.

You seem to be a really well-balanced person.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 am UTC

P13808 wrote:Any of the ermagerhd nonsense. Last person who had a joke with that as a punchline, I kicked in the face.

I consider myself lucky that I don't know what are you talking about. Don't explain, I don't want to know.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

P13808 wrote:Any of the ermagerhd nonsense. Last person who had a joke with that as a punchline, I kicked in the face.

How do you feel about spegy n merbls?

P13808

Postby P13808 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
P13808 wrote: Last person who had a joke with that as a punchline, I kicked in the face.

You seem to be a really well-balanced person.

Indeed. I get the job done now.
:lol:

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 am UTC

My pet hate for today: "the streets below".

Below what? They never say. The mystery is eating me.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

Is that a common phrase outside of song lyrics?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Is that a common phrase outside of song lyrics?

I'll wait for someone who knows the answer.

But hey, where else would I find phrases to hate?

N.b: Because I avoid advertising, a whole area of language abuse is beyond my scope.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

Song lyrics and poems can take poetic license with some language use, I think, including not constantly specifying what exactly the streets are below.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Song lyrics and poems can take poetic license with some language use, I think, including not constantly specifying what exactly the streets are below.

Then it's a songwriters' conspiracy across at least three decades and several genres. Not one of them has confessed.

I'd rather think that after all of them, one who would use licentia poetica to specify, would be cast out of the guild.

The Chosen One

Postby The Chosen One » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

I don't have a problem with Flammable/Inflammable, like some people do, but they are distantly related to one of my least favorite words: Impregnable
It means "unable to be broken into", as of a fortress, which seems wrong to me; I think it should mean the exact opposite. Awkward connotations aside, Impregnable should derive from the verb Impregnate; not from a negation of the obsolete word Pregnate, which no one uses ever (except as a typo.)
If you ever find yourself asking, "is the answer to the question, "is the answer to the question, "am I the only one?" no?" no?" The answer is still no, but you should probably close all those Logic Puzzles tabs and go to sleep.

goofy

Postby goofy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

The Chosen One wrote:Impregnable

There's actually no relation between impregnable and impregnate.

The first is borrowed from French imprenable, with the negative in- prefix plus prenable "able to be taken".

The second is borrowed from Latin impraegnāre "to make pregnant", with the in- prefix meaning "into" (not the negative one) plus prægnāre "to be pregnant".

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:04 am UTC

Let's be honest here - impregnable probably shouldn't be used AT ALL.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:30 am UTC

Chastity belts should be advertised as "impregnable."

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

Give me ten good men and grappling hooks and I'll impregnate the bitch.
Last edited by Carlington on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:Give me ten good men and grappling gooks and I'll impregnate the bitch.

Aaaaaand sigged.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 am UTC

What does it mean?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:16 am UTC

I can't find video evidence, but it's a quote from Game of Thrones. (The HBO series, don't know whether it's in the book series. :S)

EDIT: The quote may actually be "climbing spikes", not grappling hooks, but the gist was there.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:09 am UTC

Carlington wrote:grappling gooks

gook != hook

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:29 am UTC

Oh, Jesus. I am even familiar with that term. Is that why I got sigged? Because I was accidentally racist? I don't wanna be that guy.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

No, I didn't even notice the typo. I'll fix that...

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Oh, jolly good, carry on then.
As an on-topic rejoinder: racial slurs are words I hate.

Hmk

Postby Hmk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Due to a desperate need to relate the topic of this thread to some fine, cutting-edge research (or else I'll have to delete my browser history again. Browser history is the mirror of your soul. My hobby: browsing for things I'd like to have in my soul, like sphere inversions, Depeche Mode-tunes and dwarf hamsters), I hereby take the liberty:
(Or not - can't post the link without being flagged as spam, so a tip is to google 'Literary moist aversion Language log'. Or don't, whatever.)

'Liberty', by the way - *shrug*. It, and all its Latin relatives, in fact everything with 'lib' ('ad lib.' Don't use it ad lib.)
'Erty' isn't too nice in isolation either, but I imagine it would be a good name for a frog, and a name is the one property that automatically renders any frog cute.

Russ Dobler

Postby Russ Dobler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:55 am UTC

How did "conversate" make its way into the dictionary?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

It's in the dictionary? How did that happen? It's not a word.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:It's in the dictionary? How did that happen? It's not a word.

conversate certainly is a word. I understand it, I've heard it used. It is in some dictionaries, for instance Merriam-Webster.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 am UTC

In Merriam-Webster, it's labeled "nonstandard". The same as irregardless.
Words like conversate and irregardless get put in dictionaries so that, when people use them, other people might be able to know what the fuck they're talking about.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:In Merriam-Webster, it's labeled "nonstandard". The same as irregardless.
Words like conversate and irregardless get put in dictionaries so that, when people use them, other people might be able to know what the fuck they're talking about.

That's one reason words get in dictionaries. Another reason is that dictionaries are documents of the language as it is used, not as some people want it to be.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 am UTC

I don't think those are really separate reasons. Dictionaries document English as it is actually used, in part so that people can understand what people mean when they use those words, even when they aren't currently "standard".
---

(he/him/his)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Right. Dictionaries aren't there to tell you what words should or should not be used, just what words are used.

skullturf

Postby skullturf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Exactly. Dictionaries describe. They describe the language as it is currently used.

That could include describing some words as nonstandard or informal or offensive, if those words are considered nonstandard or informal or offensive by many/most speakers and/or by the compilers of the dictionary.

And by the way, descriptivism doesn't mean that we're "not allowed" to find particular words annoying. It doesn't even mean that linguists or lexicographers aren't allowed to find particular words annoying.

But it's not the *job* of a linguist or lexicographer to find a particular word annoying. They're certainly allowed (as people) to make aesthetic judgments about particular words, but their individual aesthetic tastes may or may not be in line with the *empirical* question of how language is used in practice.

When we're wearing our empiricist hats, we should look at how the language is actually used, but when we're wearing our critic or aesthete hats, we can look at what we like or don't like about particular usages that exist.

There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to convince people to avoid a word that you find annoying. It's just that your reasons either may or may not convince them, and you may or may not end up on the winning side of the argument. You're a speaker of the language, so you have a "right" to insist on using words your way, but then the speakers *as a whole* could go your way or could go the opposite way.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

I'm beginning to hate 'dominate' mainly because I see it so often misused when someone means dominant.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Pressed Bunson

Postby Pressed Bunson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

skullturf wrote:Exactly. Dictionaries describe. They describe the language as it is currently used.

That could include describing some words as nonstandard or informal or offensive, if those words are considered nonstandard or informal or offensive by many/most speakers and/or by the compilers of the dictionary.

And by the way, descriptivism doesn't mean that we're "not allowed" to find particular words annoying. It doesn't even mean that linguists or lexicographers aren't allowed to find particular words annoying.

But it's not the *job* of a linguist or lexicographer to find a particular word annoying. They're certainly allowed (as people) to make aesthetic judgments about particular words, but their individual aesthetic tastes may or may not be in line with the *empirical* question of how language is used in practice.

When we're wearing our empiricist hats, we should look at how the language is actually used, but when we're wearing our critic or aesthete hats, we can look at what we like or don't like about particular usages that exist.

There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to convince people to avoid a word that you find annoying. It's just that your reasons either may or may not convince them, and you may or may not end up on the winning side of the argument. You're a speaker of the language, so you have a "right" to insist on using words your way, but then the speakers *as a whole* could go your way or could go the opposite way.
*applause*

And now, back to your regularly scheduled word hating:
  • I've never really had as much of a problem with "irregardless" and "guesstimate" as most people do, but I do look upon them with disdain.
  • Cray-cray drives me nuts. It's the same number of syllables as crazy, there's no reason to use a dumbed-down version!
  • Any portmanteau formed using "-tastic", "-licious", or "-riffic"
  • Slurs of any variety.
  • belch
  • blasé
  • cacophony
  • chortle (unless Fawful uses it)
  • dazzle
  • egregious
  • fanny (as well as the word for the associated pack)
  • fantabulous
  • kadazzle
  • slush (add an "ie" at the end and it suddenly becomes magical. Go figure.)
  • slurry
  • stubble
Asmodieus wrote:Knock knock.
Whose there?
Your friends, we're staging an intervention.

black_hat_guy wrote:There once was an X from place B,
Who satisfied predicate P,
The X did thing A,
In a specified way,
Resulting in circumstance C.

Ncoppa jammo ja, funiculì, funiculà!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Pressed Bunson wrote:
  • I've never really had as much of a problem with "irregardless" and "guesstimate" as most people do, but I do look upon them with disdain.

Those two aren't even on the same level of wrongness. The latter is a portmanteau that's used either to mean something less reliable than a real estimate, or to sound silly. The former is an incorrect use of a prefix, used by people who think it's right.

zmic

Postby zmic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

piv-sex

Please stop using it.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Pressed Bunson wrote:Cray-cray drives me nuts. It's the same number of syllables as crazy, there's no reason to use a dumbed-down version!

It's not a "dumbed-down" version, and it's not intended to be shorter, it's just a common construction in AAVE.

But I agree that word does make me cray.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

zmic wrote:piv-sex

Please stop using it.

There is nothing wrong with that. How else would you call penis-in-vagina sex?

Pressed Bunson

Postby Pressed Bunson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

^ The way you just did.
Asmodieus wrote:Knock knock.
Whose there?
Your friends, we're staging an intervention.

black_hat_guy wrote:There once was an X from place B,
Who satisfied predicate P,
The X did thing A,
In a specified way,
Resulting in circumstance C.

Ncoppa jammo ja, funiculì, funiculà!

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Or penovaginal sex or procreative sex or Catholic-God-won't-cry-if-there's-a-condom-and-we're-both-fertile Sex (CGWCITCWBF sex).

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Calling it procreative sex is silly because most of it isn't. Spelling out "penis in vagina" is silly because it's twice as long syllabically and five times as long character-wise.
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “Language/Linguistics”