Neato sounds.

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ave_matthew

Neato sounds.

Postby ave_matthew » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

I like [tʙ̪] the B should be on top of the ̪ with a connecting over bar, but whatever.
It's a dental bilabilaly trilled affricative. Fun.
I also like [ts] (with over bar) like in the french Tu, but I can't think of an english example. Mabye like the ts in cats.

Anyone else have a neato sound?
ave matthew, je m'appelle matthew, mi nomas matthew, me llamo matthew, I'm matthew.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Darcey

Re: Neato sounds.

Postby Darcey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 am UTC

After reading your question and clicking on letters in an IPA chart I have come to the conclusion that the unvoiced alveolar lateral fricative is really awesome. Unfortunately I have no idea where to put my tongue and how to make the noise.

Also implosives are ...interesting.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:38 am UTC

Darcey wrote:After reading your question and clicking on letters in an IPA chart I have come to the conclusion that the unvoiced alveolar lateral fricative is really awesome. Unfortunately I have no idea where to put my tongue and how to make the noise.

aye, twas a bit weird, I think I know though.touch the bottom of ur bottom teeth with the tip of the tongue with a rise near the middle, open the mouth, and let air flow past the sides of the tongue as u try to pronouns "sh", if a really weird sound comes out, u go it
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:45 am UTC

tʙ̪ is great, especially tʙ̪untʙ̪u in Ladefoged's Oro Win example, meaning "It's a helicopter".

I'm addicted to tones. My favourite's a low convex (rising-falling) tone (131).

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:54 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Justinlrb

Postby Justinlrb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

I have an ingressive trill that's not on any list.

It's true.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Justinlrb wrote:I have an ingressive trill that's not on any list.

Is it alveolar? I can do a uvular ingressive trill (voiceless, mostly), but that's pretty much a snore. :)

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:16 am UTC

liza wrote:Can I pick the entire Icelandic language? I think it sounds so neat.

ja, an awesome language

lindenosk

Postby lindenosk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:48 am UTC

ave_matthew wrote:I also like [ts] (with over bar) like in the french Tu, but I can't think of an english example. Mabye like the ts in cats.

Is it like the start of Tsunami?

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

Not unless you pronounce it really weird. It's like a t with an s that starts halfway through, then the t ends before the s does, and the sound finishes as an s. But really fast. It's pretty much the ts at the end of cats or hats or bats.
I didn't know it was possible to have an ingressive trill (other than labial and uvular) but the labial hurts my throat(cause it's really, really choppy), and the uvular IS a snore.
ave matthew, je m'appelle matthew, mi nomas matthew, me llamo matthew, I'm matthew.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Justinlrb

Postby Justinlrb » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

ave_matthew wrote:

Not unless you pronounce it really weird. It's like a t with an s that starts halfway through, then the t ends before the s does, and the sound finishes as an s. But really fast. It's pretty much the ts at the end of cats or hats or bats.
I didn't know it was possible to have an ingressive trill (other than labial and uvular) but the labial hurts my throat(cause it's really, really choppy), and the uvular IS a snore.

I'd have to check but I don't think the snore counts as an ingressive trill, not the way I mean anyway. An ingressive (the way I mean it) is made with the back of the tongue creating an obstruction against the velum while another part of the tongue creates an obstruction elsewhere. The body of the tongue is then moved downward creating a vacuum then the obstruction in the front is released... giving you a click!

So yeah, I'm talking about a trilled click (I know some won't believe it is possible). I can do anything from a double bump to a sound that resembles a creaky grunt. I can also do palatal clicks. Performances can be caught on a street corner near you.

None of these sounds are actual speech sounds as far as I know. But I think both could be. I have no problem combining them with vowels.

Edit: ladefoged gives two ingressives glottalic and velaric. Neither requires you to suck air back into the lungs though it can happen with implosives (glottalic ingressive).

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

An ingressive (the way I mean it) is made with the back of the tongue creating an obstruction against the velum while another part of the tongue creates an obstruction elsewhere. The body of the tongue is then moved downward creating a vacuum then the obstruction in the front is released... giving you a click!
First thing -- Damn cool.
Secoind thing -- I think I know what you mean, I can sort of pull it off, but it only does a click for me, mabye a double articulated click(possible !?!). I can't get it to trill in the way I mean though (for me a trill has to be sustaibable indefinatly).

steewi

Postby steewi » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Oh yes, I know the one you're talking about, now. It's not exactly a trill, if it's what I'm doing. There is a full closure at the lips and another at the velum, but the velar closure is released slightly and pressure drawing air from my vocal cavity down into the laryngeal tract.

Another one I do is an ingressive lateral trill with velar closure.

<showing off>
I can do a labial, alveolar and velar trill at the same time. It makes me sound kinda like a lawn mower.
</showing off>

lindenosk

Postby lindenosk » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:05 am UTC

ave_matthew wrote:

That soun's like the way I say tsunami, except that when I say it it has slitghly less of a 't' sound than cats or bats. This sound is definately still present though.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

sounds like you're talking about the esperanto 'c' which is a common sounds throughout Europe (see German Z)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Every word should have a ʒ somewhere in it. Every.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

sounds like you're talking about the Esperanto 'c' which is a common sounds throughout Europe (see German Z)
This is exactly the sound I mean, and it's awesome. I guess I learned how to pronounce tsunami in English, and I can't think of any other word initial [ts] so I just say an [s], but if I say it in French (where it is word initial ) it comes out like that just fine, from now on I'm changing my pronunciation.
<showing off>
I can do a labial, alveolar and velar trill at the same time. It makes me sound kinda like a lawn mower.
</showing off>

I co-articulate the uvular, velar and alveolar trills, it sounds like a purr. I think that adding the labial is over kill, but what ever rocks your boat.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”