Mnemonics you love

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

KFRelic

Re: Mnemonics you love

Postby KFRelic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

There's a lot of good PEMDAS order of operations mnemonics that I like.

Instead of the usual "Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally," I try something like
"Please exterminate my dreadful Aunt Sally" or
"Please erect my dick, African slut."

Lidwiz

Postby Lidwiz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:45 am UTC

The resistor color code mnemonic I learned was Badly Burnt Resistors On Your Ground Bus Voids General Warranty.

I don't care what they say about Pluto. To me it will always be My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 am UTC

It's fine, the plurals are indeed -en, -t, -en, and Enten does mean ducks :) .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Cerry

Postby Cerry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 am UTC

Monika wrote:
AyalaofBorg wrote:My main problem with it is that I have to remember that the genitive comes before the dative, but that's the way the table was laid out when I saw it first.

Genitiv before Dativ is common, but the location of Akkusativ is unusual. Normally it is given in the order Nominativ - Genitiv - Dativ - Akkusativ. They are even referred to as first, second, third and fourth case.

I know this conversation was months ago, but I thought I'd add my two cents, anyway. I was taught it as Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv. It has to do with English word order - sentences in English are structured Subject, Verb, Object, Indirect Object (at least they are the vast majority of the time. I'm sure people will be able to come up with exceptions). Since Nominativ = Subject, Akkusativ = Object and Dativ = Indirect Object, people who teach German to English native speakers often order the table that way, cause our poor little brains get less confused that way. And you don't learn the Genetiv until quite some time after you learn the other 3 cases, so it just gets tacked on the end.

On the actual topic on mnemonics, when I was in year 8, we came up with Purple Ants Make Frilly Pants for the 5 different kingdoms - Plant, Animal, Monera, Fungi, Protist. Everyone still remembers it, even those of us who haven't taken biology in about 3 and a half years now. In a similar vein, about 12 years ago, I had a teacher who got people to remember how to spell eight by teaching them it was Elephants In Gumboots Hate Tomatoes. I didn't have trouble spelling eight, but I still remember that now. But my favourite mnemonic is the lines on the treble clef - Elephants Grow Big Dirty Feet. Once again, I haven't needed it for YEARS, but it's firmly implanted in my brain.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Cerry wrote:I know this conversation was months ago, but I thought I'd add my two cents, anyway.

Seems like yesterday.

I was taught it as Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv. It has to do with English word order - sentences in English are structured Subject, Verb, Object, Indirect Object (at least they are the vast majority of the time. I'm sure people will be able to come up with exceptions). Since Nominativ = Subject, Akkusativ = Object and Dativ = Indirect Object, people who teach German to English native speakers often order the table that way, cause our poor little brains get less confused that way. And you don't learn the Genetiv until quite some time after you learn the other 3 cases, so it just gets tacked on the end.

OIC, that's interesting.

But on the order of direct and indirect objects in English, that depends on which one is a pronoun and whether the indirect object is preceded by "to".

I gave the book to the guy.
I gave the guy the book. (Somewhat uncommon and depending on which part is meant to be emphasized.)

I gave the book to him.
I gave him the book. (indirect before direct and not uncommon at all)

I gave it to the guy.
* I gave the guy it. (wrong)

I gave it to him.
* I gave him it. (wrong)

So I agree that it makes sense to teach cases to native English speakers in the order Nominative Accusative Dative Genitive because direct objects are more common before indirect objects in English (as the opposite order is wrong in 2 out of 4 possibilities), but "indirect before direct" is not an exception or extremely special or unusual if the indirect object is a pronoun and the direct object a noun, and at least possible if both are nouns.

BTW how do you pronounce the C in your nick?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Kow

Postby Kow » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

deadstump wrote:Now this is going to sound like the dumbest mnemonic ever but this is how I remember my library card number.

It is two less than 206.

Obviously my number is 204, but I can not remember it any other way. By the by I remember 206 because Marcus Grönholm drove a Peugeot 206 back in the day and at the time I did not like him because he was not driving a Subaru (and beating them).

Anyway that is my mnemonic.

Otis

That reminds me of how I remember a number for a username I have (1642). It started with the year that columbus discovered the new world but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Nevertheless, it still helped me remember. Now I just remember 4 digits: 1+ (6-=2)...

Cerry

Postby Cerry » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:50 am UTC

Monika wrote:But on the order of direct and indirect objects in English, that depends on which one is a pronoun and whether the indirect object is preceded by "to".

I gave the book to the guy.
I gave the guy the book. (Somewhat uncommon and depending on which part is meant to be emphasized.)

I gave the book to him.
I gave him the book. (indirect before direct and not uncommon at all)

I gave it to the guy.
* I gave the guy it. (wrong)

I gave it to him.
* I gave him it. (wrong)

So I agree that it makes sense to teach cases to native English speakers in the order Nominative Accusative Dative Genitive because direct objects are more common before indirect objects in English (as the opposite order is wrong in 2 out of 4 possibilities), but "indirect before direct" is not an exception or extremely special or unusual if the indirect object is a pronoun and the direct object a noun, and at least possible if both are nouns.

BTW how do you pronounce the C in your nick?

Oh, you're right. This is what I get for posting at 10 on a Friday night, after working 9-5 all week :P
The C in my name is pronounced like a K, so the name is pronounced the same as Kerry. It's short for Ceiridwen, which no one can pronounce.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Sat May 01, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

AH ta LOO pa, DOO pa dee DO
King of the Incas in Peru!

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Mon May 03, 2010 8:22 am UTC

RabbitWho wrote:AH ta LOO pa, DOO pa dee DO
King of the Incas in Peru!

That's quite cryptic for the uninitiated :(
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Jigo

Postby Jigo » Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 am UTC

actually, I am working on some MAJOR mnemonics.....that are visually immediately grasped.
1) I think that organizing information according to it being rote (term linked to its definition underneath) or
integrative (a chain of ideas running off into the hinterland.
http://www.nerdpocalypse.net/cell%20biology.html

2) poem + visual + story
http://www.nerdpocalypse.net/cognitive.html

14/2200 kanji posted; I've got 300+ ready, but I'm spacing the postings out a bit
"I think I'm learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I really think so...."
Jigo

emb

Postby emb » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Color and cones both start with CO.
Coincidence?
Spoiler:
also starts with CO...

Alx_xlA

Postby Alx_xlA » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

Taxonomic ranks:

Kinky people come over for group sex
My signature contains forty-four characters.

Chrishy

Postby Chrishy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:13 am UTC

There are a million for taxonomy, but I was taught
Dainty Kings Play Chess On Fine Green Silk
to include "Domain".

For the compass points I was taught "Never Eat Slimy Worms". I remembered it because the thought of eating any worms at all, regardless of sliminess, seemed ridiculous, even to third-grade-me.

Roy G. Biv for the rainbow, obviously.

Before I was really familiar with pi in math, I had to use "How I wish I could recollect pi easily today!" to remember the first few digits. Now I can easily recite about 75 digits to the "tune" of this.

I had a ton of stupid ones I wish I could remember for reciting Antony's speech from Julius Caesar ("Friends, Romans, countrymen..."). They were all inside jokes with my friends, but it helped. I got a 100%

djfly

Postby djfly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

unrelatedwaffle wrote:My favorite mnemonic is the complete recitation of the following:
I before E except after C, or when sounded like A as in neighbor or weigh. But some words are just weird.

but some Rottweilers are just weird*

:)
A witty saying proves nothing

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

djfly wrote:
unrelatedwaffle wrote:My favorite mnemonic is the complete recitation of the following:
I before E except after C, or when sounded like A as in neighbor or weigh. But some words are just weird.

but some Rottweilers are just weird*

:)
Hmm I don't know, unrelatedwaffle's version still states the rules for English orthography. Of course it changes when you bring foreign languages into the picture. 8)
Spoiler:
Funny enough, today is the anniversary of the purging of the Sturmabteilung.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

djfly

Postby djfly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:Hmm I don't know, unrelatedwaffle's version still states the rules for English orthography. Of course it changes when you bring foreign languages into the picture. 8)

"but the science is weird"

that better? ;)
A witty saying proves nothing

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Hmm, I suppose that would work :P

ecl3c7ic

Postby ecl3c7ic » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:46 am UTC

Name of the carpals (bones of the wrist):
some lovers try positions that they can't handle.
scaphoid, lunate, triquetrium, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, hamate.

Kreb Cycle intermediates:
officer, can I keep selling sex for money?
oxaloacetate, citrate, isocitrate, alpha-ketoglutarate, succinyl CoA, succinate, fumarate, malate

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

In my high school chemistry class, our teacher split us into groups one day and had us make up mnemonics for the groups of the periodic table. The best one, by far, was one one of the groups (sadly, not mine) came up with for VIIA. Taking hydrogen to be an honorary VIIA member: Hot Food, Cold Beer, In Atlanta. (H, F, Cl, Br, I, At)

Chrishy

Postby Chrishy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:In my high school chemistry class, our teacher split us into groups one day and had us make up mnemonics for the groups of the periodic table. The best one, by far, was one one of the groups (sadly, not mine) came up with for VIIA. Taking hydrogen to be an honorary VIIA member: Hot Food, Cold Beer, In Atlanta. (H, F, Cl, Br, I, At)

I had actually used "Free, Cold Beer In Atlanta" before. hahah

The Milkman

Postby The Milkman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

HE bEAt A lIAr for the present subjunctive in the 4 conjugations in Latin. Really useful.
Do you love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Did you wish that you had a place to talk about your love? Then join #xkcd-ponies! You won't be sorry.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:03 am UTC

At school, our chemistry teacher had us create mnemonics for the order of reactivity of a bunch of metals.

I came up with the utterly bizarre:
Please stop lying Christopher, my Arabian zoo indicates that lying can stop grouped pandas.
Potassium, Sodium, Lithium, Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron, Tin, Lead, Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum.
Yeah I don't even know why I remember this, since it makes absolutely no sense.
And then when we took the exam? We got given the list anyway.

Less interesting ones from when I was much younger include:

Richard of York gave battle in vain. Colours of the rainbow.

My very efficient memory just stores up nine- Planets. Alas, it doesn't really work now.

Thirty days has September
April, June, and November
All the rest have thirty one
Except for February alone
...and I forget the rest. It explains the deal with February but the rhyme and rhythm (and words) elude me.

Mnemonics are fun!

EDIT because I remembered another one!

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
Acts and Romans follow on
Then I just remember that 1 and 2 Corinthians go next before...
God's electric power company.
Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians.
And I don't remember any beyond that.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

vaguelyhumanoid

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

KFRelic wrote:There's a lot of good PEMDAS order of operations mnemonics that I like.

Instead of the usual "Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally," I try something like
"Please exterminate my dreadful Aunt Sally" or
"Please erect my dick, African slut."

What about "panthers eat magical dicks, anarchy soon"?
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Maalstroom

Postby Maalstroom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 am UTC

"She looks too pretty; try to catch her", or a relatively more famous version, "some lovers try positions that they can't handle".

They refer to the carpal bones; scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, and hamate.

SammyIAm

Postby SammyIAm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Gotta love the right-hand rule for charged particles in a magnetic field (also works for determining the direction of field-lines around a conductor.

Your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, your thumb (at a 90 degree angle to your fingers) in the direction the electron is traveling, and your palm will face in the direction of the resulting force on the electron. For conductors, if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, and curl your fingers, your fingers indicate the direction of the magnetic field around the conductor.

This was a lot of fun during the AP Physics exams, because all the students that had my physics teacher were constantly holding up and reorienting their right hand to try to figure out problems.

europium

Postby europium » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:38 am UTC

What in the world do kids do nowadays now that Pluto has been downgraded? My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us... Nachos?

Poor Pluto. Once a proud and tasty entrée*; now just a humble topping. :wink:
* Or desert. Take your pick.
-Eu
-----
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge in the field of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." ~ A. Einstein

europium

Postby europium » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:54 am UTC

SammyIAm wrote:Gotta love the right-hand rule for charged particles in a magnetic field (also works for determining the direction of field-lines around a conductor.

Your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, your thumb (at a 90 degree angle to your fingers) in the direction the electron is traveling, and your palm will face in the direction of the resulting force on the electron. For conductors, if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, and curl your fingers, your fingers indicate the direction of the magnetic field around the conductor.

And to think of all those poor gullible Physics majors who graduate every year still convinced that Poynting Vectors are named after some dead dude. :wink:
-Eu
-----
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge in the field of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." ~ A. Einstein

108RockingHorses

Postby 108RockingHorses » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

This is such an awesome thread, I couldn't resist reviving it and adding a couple.

MR (and) MRS LAMB, for remembering the 9 common-law felonies
Murder Rape Mayhem Robbery Sodomy Larceny Arson Manslaughter Burglary

I made one up for my health class--the teacher told us we needed to remember the 4 fat-soluble vitamins-- D, A, E, K.
Since I'm a Doctor Who fan, it occured to me that if you add an "L" to the middle, you have "DALEK"!

Return to “Language/Linguistics”