Think Before Naming Your Child

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

greeneggsnoham

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Postby greeneggsnoham » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:49 am UTC

When I was teaching I met two students from Japan, who actually became good friends of mine.

They were twin sisters, and their names were...

wait for it...

Miho (meeho)

and

Shiho (sheeho).

I know it sounds like something I made up or stole from a Sean Connery James Bond, but it's the honest truth.

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Maybe I've been warped beyond all hope by my time there but that doesn't look wrong to me at all haha!

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Unless those names have meanings that I'm not aware off, I'm not sure what's so horrible about Miho and Shiho. Rhyming names aren't so bad.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

enk

Postby enk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

I think the joke is "Me ho" and "She ho".
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

One of my mum's teachers' name was Constance Pugh...
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 am UTC

greeneggsnoham wrote:Miho (meeho)
and
Shiho (sheeho).
I know it sounds like something I made up or stole from a Sean Connery James Bond, but it's the honest truth.

No, those are perfectly normal names. I mean, if you giggle at the idea of the letters "ho" being part of someone's name, perhaps. But you can find something like that with most names in some language somewhere. This thread, I think, has been focusing on names that are intentionally stupid or show some lack of foresight, not ones that can be made weird by misinterpreting them.

Anyway, I've always wanted to name my firstborn son Khan. It's a normal last name (like my first name), and implies royalty (again, like my first name). That, and it'll be really fun to yell his name across the house.

When Googling my name way back out of curiosity, I came upon a thread where someone was considering naming their son either Kingston or Kaiser. Someone came along and said the name "Kaiser" would sound way too arrogant.

Pffft. What do they know... Everyone I met likes my name. Kids in school had to use my last name to make fun of me 'cause my first name was untouchable. So what if I have a spearhead helmet that I wear on weekends? That doesn't mean I'm arrogant... KF
~Kizyr

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:"Jasmine" spelled, she insists, with two 'y's, but I'm not sure how

One of Yasmyn, Yasmyne, Yasemyn or Yasemyne ... that was kind of obvious, wasn't it? Okay, maybe not for people who have never heard Jas(e)min(e) pronounced with a starting y sound as in German or Turkish ;) . (Jasmin is the standard German spelling, pronounced with y in the beginning, Yasemin seems to be the standard Turkish spelling.)

Moo wrote:We just cannot find a girl's name we like. We have a few rules like it has to sound good before "Brown" (nigh impossible!) and ending in an a sound. I've told this in LSR but I'll recap for the lulz; after watching Wall-E we were like "Eva! Yes, it's perfect!". Until I said the whole thing. Eva Brown. He still thinks it's not that bad!

If you are white, don't do this, if you ever want your kid to have *nice* friends.

I think basically any girl name ending in -a will sound alright before Brown. If you have a boy, name him Mohanda or Ananda or some other Indian -a boy's name :) .
Last edited by Monika on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:03 am UTC

The entire point being that we definitely will *not* be Godwinning our hypothetical child... whatever the colour of our skin. Sorry, made that clear the first time I posted it but not here. Definitely not doing it.

And I thought it was fairly obvious that it would be "Indiana because we like Indiana Jones" in a geek-centric forum. Not because we like the state Indiana or have a thing for Indians from either continent.

It's just 'cause Harrison Ford as Indy (1-3) is hawt and awesome.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Heahengel

Postby Heahengel » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

I met a kid in highschool named Thor. His parents weren't even germanic or scandenavian, they just thought it was an awesome name. I agree.

My mother is named Dusa, after my great grandmother's nickname Medusa. I'm tempted to name a son Gorgon along that vein.

Although perhaps the middle name (pretty sure thats Mom's middle name too, she just uses that one). I guess middle names are the place to be adventurous.

Edit: Odin is also on the middle name list.

Edit2: For accuracy, I think my great grandmothers nickname was also Dusa, but it was definitely after Medusa.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Heahengel wrote:Although perhaps the middle name (pretty sure thats Mom's middle name too, she just uses that one). I guess middle names are the place to be adventurous.

I guess so, too.

I am not quite sure yet what to do. On the one hand I think only having one name (i.e. no middle name) is more modern. It's quite common in Germany. Me, my siblings, my fiancé all have only a first name.

On the other hand, a middle name like Linus or Merlin would be quite neat.

madAlric

Postby madAlric » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:08 am UTC

My last name is Maness, pronounced "may-ness." My first name is Timothy, shortened to "Tim" usually. Sounds like Tim Anus. My brother's initials are SNM. I'm told both are unintentional.

[edit]
Thaughmbe ("Tom") would be a horrible prank to pull on your progeny. I came up with that one a couple years ago when I was musing over unnecessary silent letters in words, especially names. Most especially historical names. Like Nietzsche.

westcydr

Postby westcydr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:42 am UTC

I have heard the name "Ashonda" in a few places, in Yiddish, it means "a Shame"...
"Cooney" in Farsi is a derogatory term for a "catcher", if you catch my drift...
In Arizona, I saw th personalized plate of "Zona" on a car... This is Biblical Hebrew for harlot.
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:36 am UTC

madAlric wrote:Thaughmbe ("Tom") would be a horrible prank to pull on your progeny. I came up with that one a couple years ago when I was musing over unnecessary silent letters in words, especially names. Most especially historical names. Like Nietzsche.

I like Thaughmbe! Looks cool. However, what are the silent letters in Nietzsche? I'd argue that every letter in the name has a function as regards pronunciation. Except perhaps the C.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:Except perhaps the C.

Well, Neitzsche was German... and "sch" in German has the same role as "sh" in English.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Yeah I wrestled with that concept for a few minutes. If something is not superfluous in another language, is it superfluous in another?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

The c in Nietzsche is not superfluous. He was German, thus it belongs there, there is no "sh" in German. I'd argue the z is superfluous, we pronounce Nietzsche like Nie-tsche or Niet-sche ... or at least I do and haven't heard anyone say "Nietz-sche" ever. Pronouncing "zsch" is as hard for Germans as for English-speaking people. Maybe the name is of Polish or Czech origin, they seem to have little trouble with such letter combinations.

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 am UTC

Just to put this out there: my dad's initials are PMS. I'm fairly sure that this was unintentional.

I've always liked the names Vladimir and Elsebet (or Elzebet/Ersebet/Alzbeta/Elzbieta). Both are easy to pronounce and spell, they can both be shortened to single-syllable nick names, and you can guarantee that your kids' schoolmates will know real history (instead of the watered-down crap they teach in schools).

As for Megatron: awesome.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Moo wrote:So what is the general consensus on naming a boy "Indiana"? Hubby and I both love it but get a lot of criticism from people who are just no fun. We do have "normal" back up names, we'll probably end up going with those.

We just cannot find a girl's name we like. We have a few rules like it has to sound good before "Brown" (nigh impossible!) and ending in an a sound. I've told this in LSR but I'll recap for the lulz; after watching Wall-E we were like "Eva! Yes, it's perfect!". Until I said the whole thing. Eva Brown. He still thinks it's not that bad!

Now we still don't have one we like :( . I just IMed him with ewige*'s brilliant Megatron proposal (I've always loved Meg, even if it doesn't end in a) but he says he's more of an Optimus kind of guy.

*that totally means "eternal" in Afrikaans.

How about Julia Brown?
Last edited by Hayden on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I think pretty much anything goes in front of Brown as long as it is two syllables and you precede it with "down-town".

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:21 am UTC

I warned my bf that I was going to name our children after his least liked politicians if he would not use protection and an accident would happen... This worked convincing him. No little boy had to be named Robert Mugabe and no little girl Hillary Rodham Clinton :wink:
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:18 am UTC

I encountered a William J Williams today.

I suppose at least he only had to worry about learning how to spell 2 names, not three?

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

I really hope his middle name was Jilliams.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

Nothing that interesting, but I think I would have fallen off my chair in a fit of giggles if it had been.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Names I've come across that made me cringe a little:
Talon, for a boy. It's not horrible, but it's on the border between cool and stupid.
Chaos-May. She's a gorgeous little girl, but my bet is that as soon as she is old enough to choose, she'll be going by May. To the disgust of her aging punk-rock parents.
I met a girl called Zhesykke (or something very similar, the exact spelling eludes me once, and yes, that is meant to be pronounced 'Jessica'. That's the worst one I can think of.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

kitsune9

Postby kitsune9 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

I had a friend called Sean Foy, and when he and his partner were having a girlchild we had him nearly convinced to call her Electra or Petra (It works best in an irish accent). in the end they called her Elly-May which really isn't much of an improvement.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

While I was in the US, I had a classmate whose given name was SS. It was not an abbreviation for anything.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:34 am UTC

one of my teachers recently got married and is now pregnant,
the awesome thing is her last name is now "Savage".

can you think of good names for the child?

BrainMagMo

Postby BrainMagMo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:07 am UTC

4=5 wrote:one of my teachers recently got married and is now pregnant,

"Colonist-eating-a" came to mind.
Colon for short. ;D

I think I want to give my kid a name with a special characters.
Like Şæn or śометhiиg.
Thоŭgh iт'd have тo be somетhing тhaт isn'т jusт a regular name wiтh accenтs, since he or she would jusт remove iт тhen.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

There's a sliding scale on weird names.

I think it goes something like:

5 kids of same name in your class ----to---- Having your name changed by the state due to parent cruelty

In between those, having a unique (but not cruel) name probably does you some good. At least you have a good conversation starter.
Rice Puddin.

darktalon

Postby darktalon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:15 am UTC

It's a good point. There's definitely a line that the top 20 are the right side of and "Winklemass Fartknocker" isn't; the real question is where exactly this line is.

y Andes

Postby y Andes » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:57 am UTC

4=5 wrote:one of my teachers recently got married and is now pregnant,

Bea?

(short for Beatrice, as in the princess...)

Dick?

or the infamous midfield journeyman;

Robbie?

tom_s252

Postby tom_s252 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

A friend of mine claims once to have met a weight-loss clinic leader person called Gaynor Stone. I'm still not sure I believe her...

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 am UTC

In Canberra there was a Chinese ophthalmologist called Wong See. Seriously.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:24 am UTC

BrainMagMo wrote:"Colonist-eating-a" came to mind.
Colon for short. ;D

Like Şæn or śометhiиg.
Thоŭgh iт'd have тo be somетhing тhaт isn'т jusт a regular name wiтh accenтs, since he or she would jusт remove iт тhen.

How about a Portuguese name with a ç or ã? There's not much better than having a name like João. Just imagine his teacher trying to do roll call...
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:43 am UTC

I think, if you're going to go the non-latin-characters route, it's important to get the pronounciation right... don't throw in a И in place of a N, use it in place of a short I, since that's how it's pronounced.

You could go a step further than that, too, and aim for a misunderstanding... call your kid Ρaul, with a Greek Rho, and insist it's pronounced "Raul"... or something similar (that's the only example I could think of on the spot).

[edit] Maybe Daνe, with a Greek Nu, pronounced "Dane", short for "Daniel"?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

BrainMagMo

Postby BrainMagMo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:18 am UTC

Eruantale wrote:
BrainMagMo wrote:"Colonist-eating-a" came to mind.
Colon for short. ;D

Like Şæn or śометhiиg.

How about a Portuguese name with a ç or ã? There's not much better than having a name like João. Just imagine his teacher trying to do roll call...

I'll name him Juã. nasalized vowels = fun.
Also, Дaviд would be a cool name.
Жладимир-the problem is the kid would probably just go and romanize it.
I can't think of much that can't be romanized except ã, etc.
Ρaul, Daνid are the correct versions (google them /copy-paste/ if not sure)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:54 am UTC

BrainMagMo wrote:I think I want to give my kid a name with a special characters.
Like Şæn or śометhiиg.

Maybe you rethink this when your child leaves home at 15 or chooses your old age home ;) .

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Maybe you rethink this when your child leaves home at 15 or chooses your old age home ;) .

Nah, if the kid is just as cool as his parent(s), he will appreciate the name. I would rather have a weird name than be "Emily" or "Sarah" and have to constantly refer to myself with my last name to avoid confusion. No offense to all the Emily's and Sarah's.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Eruantale wrote:No offense to all the Emily's and Sarah's.

As long as you don't use Monika as an example ;)

I have a catapult ... how does that go on?

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Monika wrote:As long as you don't use Monika as an example ;)

Of course not! Monika is unique enough for me. :)

I have a catapult ... how does that go on?

Give me all your money or I will fling a giant rock at your head... essentially.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”