Think Before Naming Your Child

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Makri

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Postby Makri » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 am UTC

The Germans have (or had) this trend of giving French names to their children, and sometimes the result is a bit weird (some young German people have old-fashioned French names for instance).

That's interesting, can you come up with any examples? (I'm not saying that you're probably wrong if you can't. It's quite likely that you noticed the fact and just stored that in your memory because it was remarkable, but forgot about the precise name.)

Also, to me as a speaker of Austrian (That probably makes a difference here!) German, the pronunciation NICK-oll sounds unutterably ridiculous. :mrgreen:
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:58 am UTC

Nicole is a very common Name in Germany and I have not heard it pronounced incorrectly.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

From http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
Ima Hogg
Ima Hogg was real, but not her rumored sister, Ura. Ima (b. 1882 d. 1975) was the daughter of James Steven Hogg, Governor of Texas.

Any relation to Sir Denis Eton-Hogg?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:04 am UTC

My earlier post was a bit trollish (was I drunk or something ? I don't remember) and badly worded. Truth is, my uncle, aunt and cousins (who live in Germany) told me about this, and the examples they gave (that I don't remember) were really shtick.

Now, even if my familly didn't bullshit me, that would still be only a tiny few Germans. I don't have enough knowledge to say something about the Germans in general.

julikando

Postby julikando » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:18 am UTC

We named our first son Miko. When he was three years ols we found out that it meant something like "holy virgin maiden" in Japanese! :D

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:22 am UTC

Miko could mean a lot of things in Japanese, but I'm skeptical it could mean holy virgin maiden, if only because I'm pretty sure holy would be "jin" and the words for virgin and maiden would probably be two Kanji (and potentially more syllables) each.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:37 am UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Miko (巫女?, literally "shaman woman") is a Japanese term that anciently meant a "female shaman, spirit medium" who conveyed oracles from kami ("spirits; gods"), and presently means a "shrine maiden; virgin consecrated to a deity" who serves at Shinto shrines.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:45 am UTC

Well I will be.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

One of my mother's coworkers has the first name "Phuc" and his last name is pronounced like "you." In the country he comes from (Thailand, I think, or at least in that general vicinity) it's a perfectly ordinary name with no negative connotations that I'm aware of.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

I saw a newspaper clipping when I was stationed in Maryland for a time, it showed the graduating class of a local college included a Bich Ho. I'm not sure of the nationality (I'm thinking Vietnamese, maybe), however I asked around and found this was also a common name.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

existentialpanda wrote:One of my mother's coworkers has the first name "Phuc" and his last name is pronounced like "you." In the country he comes from (Thailand, I think, or at least in that general vicinity) it's a perfectly ordinary name with no negative connotations that I'm aware of.

My wow guildmate's name is Phuc! He goes by his last name, though.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

LadyAiya

Postby LadyAiya » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:01 am UTC

I worked in a pediatrician's office as a nurse assistant. We had a new mother come in with her brand new baby girl, who's name on the paperwork was, "L-ia."
We figured the child's name was some weird form of "Leah." The mother corrected us, saying "you pronounce the dash! Her name is "La'dash'ia!"
We laughed for hours. I don't think that mom brought her back for her 1 month exam...

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Well, I think you might be the first person to claim that you actually saw Le-dash-ha.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:21 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Well, I think you might be the first person to claim that you actually saw Le-dash-ha.
I wonder if there are people who use these myths about various names that keep appearing in this thread as inspiration for naming their child (thus resulting in actual children with those names).
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:37 am UTC

chridd wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:Well, I think you might be the first person to claim that you actually saw Le-dash-ha.
I wonder if there are people who use these myths about various names that keep appearing in this thread as inspiration for naming their child (thus resulting in actual children with those names).

That's why I said earlier that I would not be surprised if Le-dash-a is a real name. I would not be surprised at all.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 am UTC

LadyAiya wrote:I worked in a pediatrician's office as a nurse assistant. We had a new mother come in with her brand new baby girl, who's name on the paperwork was, "L-ia."
We figured the child's name was some weird form of "Leah." The mother corrected us, saying "you pronounce the dash! Her name is "La'dash'ia!"
We laughed for hours. I don't think that mom brought her back for her 1 month exam...

City? Name of pediatrician? Last name of the child?

La-a

Postby La-a » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

LadyAiya wrote:We laughed for hours.

With a name like Aiya, you're just triflin. What is that, your daddy see your ugly face and scream? Aiiiiiiyaaaa! Put it back!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

La-a wrote:
LadyAiya wrote:We laughed for hours.

With a name like Aiya, you're just triflin. What is that, your daddy see your ugly face and scream? Aiiiiiiyaaaa! Put it back!

Well, that was only a matter of time.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

LadyAiya wrote:I worked in a pediatrician's office as a nurse assistant.

Good job losing clients for the practice. Glad you take your job and health care so seriously.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Am I the only one who think Lady Aiya is an obvious troll? She's a new user with only two posts, both of which seem calculated to inflame. I suppose it's possible that she's just dumb and unlucky, but Occam's razor seems to point to trolling.

At this point posting about the La-a story in this thread seems like a sly way to announce that obvious troll is obvious.

masakatsu

Postby masakatsu » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Working in health care on the IT side has caused some significant chuckles on name. There are a number of children who get Aboy or Agirl as their name because the paperwork doesn't get done correctly and is sent to the State for the birth certificate, who just prints the name.
I will not attack your math, just your epistemology.

You think you have it bad, I teach Intro to Project Management to Undergrads.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Bob Wehodababyeeeetsaboy

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

masakatsu wrote:Working in health care on the IT side has caused some significant chuckles on name. There are a number of children who get Aboy or Agirl as their name because the paperwork doesn't get done correctly and is sent to the State for the birth certificate, who just prints the name.

Yeah, and so many moms name their twins Boya and Boyb! The names that come through though... Sci-fi and fantasy characters, cars, liquor, tragic spellings... but after searching half a million of them, not a single La-a, Le-a, or any such bullshit.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

LadyAiya

Postby LadyAiya » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:Am I the only one who think Lady Aiya is an obvious troll? She's a new user with only two posts, both of which seem calculated to inflame. I suppose it's possible that she's just dumb and unlucky, but Occam's razor seems to point to trolling.

At this point posting about the La-a story in this thread seems like a sly way to announce that obvious troll is obvious.

Great stars! I didn't realize people were going to be so incendiary! I'm a new poster, not a troll!
Anyway, that story is true. I do take health care, and my job, very seriously.
Besides... LadyAiya isn't my real name. That's my gamer tag that I happen to use for forum posting. My real name, if anyone cares, is Kristi.
Now, if you will allow me to please take part in active discussions? I only saw the post, thought it was funny, and decided to add my own experience.
Thank you.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

LadyAiya wrote:
firechicago wrote:Am I the only one who think Lady Aiya is an obvious troll? She's a new user with only two posts, both of which seem calculated to inflame. I suppose it's possible that she's just dumb and unlucky, but Occam's razor seems to point to trolling.

Great stars! I didn't realize people were going to be so incendiary! I'm a new poster, not a troll!
Besides... LadyAiya isn't my real name. That's my gamer tag that I happen to use for forum posting. My real name, if anyone cares, is Kristi.
Now, if you will allow me to please take part in active discussions? I only saw the post, thought it was funny, and decided to add my own experience.
Thank you.

I will allow you to read the last 3 pages of posts where practically the ONLY new posts have been about "Ledasha"s.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 am UTC

LadyAiya wrote:

Thank you.

Anyway, that story is true.

true

There is a difference between sincerity and truth.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Damn, I was gonna come into this thread and post another Le-a post, then I see that someone already did it!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Damn, I was gonna come into this thread and post another Le-a post, then I see that someone already did it!

Hey, I heard about this girl named Le-a.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:Damn, I was gonna come into this thread and post another Le-a post, then I see that someone already did it!

Oh my gods me too! Do you know my sister's ex-boyfriend's middle school teacher's nurse's old employer?
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

Oh my gods me too! Do you know my sister's ex-boyfriend's middle school teacher's nurse's old employer?

Only if he happens to be my brother's ex-girlfriend's high school principal's ex-wife's general practitioner.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

LadyAiya wrote:

Thank you.

Sure, let's discuss.

Before-hand, let me inform you that there has been an urban legend for years about a kid named Le-a, pronounced Ladasha, which gets propagated by chain mail, forum postings, people retelling the chain mail real-life as supposedly personal accounts to others, who then chain-mail the story or post it on forums.
There is some variation to the story, recently the name changed to La-a (Ladasha), sometimes the kid is a baby, sometimes in school, she is in various counties and so on. I think you will understand our doubts.

Now let's get to your supposedly personal account of the well-known myth. Were you actually present when the kid and the mother were in the office? Or did one of the other nurses tell you about it? When she told it, did she really say it was in your doctor's office, or maybe she only heard it from someone else? Ask her again about it. Look it up in the paper work or computer records. Is there any indication that this kid is real?

You are the first to tell the L-ia Ladashia variation. So my theory is: One of your fellow nurses either read the story on a forum or chain e-mail or was told the story by someone who read it in such way. She retold it to you as a supposed personal account. In one of these steps of "silent post" the name got mashed from Le-a to L-ia. You then retold it here as a supposed personal account even though you were not present during that event and have seen no evidence of the name.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

I knew Le-a (pronounced Ledasha)

One time she was bitten by a spider while on a tropical island, when she got home hundreds of baby spiders came out of the bite.

Then there was the time that she had cancer and wanted everyone to send her postcards.

She once had an essay question that was "What is the definition of Bravery"; she wrote just two words: "This is." She got an A.

You get the idea.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

I hope someone with better prose making skills than mine someday writes a novel, titled "L-a", where the titular character experiences every American urban legend throughout the course of her bildungsroman.

That would truly be the American novel.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I hope someone with better prose making skills than mine someday writes a novel, titled "L-a", where the titular character experiences every American urban legend throughout the course of her bildungsroman.

Um. Yes. Thank you for explaining my post. I didn't really think it was necessary but there you go.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:I hope someone with better prose making skills than mine someday writes a novel, titled "L-a", where the titular character experiences every American urban legend throughout the course of her bildungsroman.

Um. Yes. Thank you for explaining my post. I didn't really think it was necessary but there you go.

Don't be a douche. He wasn't explaining your post, he was expanding on it. You listed three urban legends, so you have a bit of a ways to go.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Don't be a douche. He wasn't explaining your post, he was expanding on it. You listed three urban legends, so you have a bit of a ways to go.

Yeah actually. Shit, chalk it up to caffeine lack when I posted that. Not really an excuse, but there you go. :|

Sorry Iulus for being a douche.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 am UTC

I once met someone named Phil McCracken. I am NOT kidding.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Red Rule

Postby Red Rule » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

I know someone with the last name 'de beer' (dutch for 'the bear')
now as awesome as that may sound on it's own, he insists on calling his son Wil.
'Wilde' in dutch means 'wild' in english, so the kid will be Wild Bear.

As for names which can be a pain in the ass: Roel.
It's a common Dutch name, nothing wrong with it. Just don't try and get an english speaking person to pronounce it.
No it's not Roll, nor Raoul, nor Ro-el. :evil:
The closest thing in english is rule, but people tend to look at you funny when you introduce yourself as such.

As I don't mind Raoul as much as all the others I've taken to introducing me as such whenever I meet an english speaking person.
Then I usually just get "Oh, you don't sound/look like a Raoul" and I have a conversation starter.

(and english people also tend to have a problem pronouncing my last name... :roll: )
"I gotta have a little bit of Orange juice
I gotta have.. my.. Orange juice!
I gotta have.. my.. Orange juice!
Juice juice juice juice juice juice juice juice
"

~Richard Feynman

arpee

Postby arpee » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

A couple in China tried to name their son "@". In Mandarin Chinese, '@' is pronounced "ai ta" and it can also "love him" so they thought that it would be a cool name. The Chinese didn't allow that though.

I think "1 4" would be a wickedly evil name. In Mandarin Chinese, it sounds like (The Black Death) 黓死.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Maybe I'm drifting a bit off subject but it's still a fun fact

In Greek the name Charlton Heston is translated to "Charlton Crap on him" (Χεσ'τον)
So when his name was written in greek (in Tv guides, cinema posters and the like) it was written as "Charlton Easton"
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

Return to “Language/Linguistics”